How many Utd players would walk into Wolves first 11 and vice-versa...?

Raven

Seems a bit pointless saying we're 'on a rebuild' when they're a club being rebuilt also - albeit in a far more well planned manner on the footballing side.

Also, I'm not so sure that Utd will finish ahead of Wolves, the next handful of fixtures could easily see Wolves gather momentum going into the run in.

Utd's next 6 PL fixtures...

Chelsea (A)
Watford (H)
Everton (A)
City (H)
Spuds (A)
Sheffield United (H)

Wolves next 6 PL fixtures...

Foxes (H)
Norwich (H)
Spuds (A)
Brighton (H)
West Ham (A)
Bournemouth (H)

Obviously the season is longer than 6 games left, but if they were to open up a 7-9 point gap in that period, I'm not sure I'd trust this current Utd side to pull it back.
Walk In = Neves. Would be the missing piece in our midfield. Should buy.

Would like = Jimenez as a rotation/ alternate to Martial

Can argue for = Coady. And Doherty. But marginal improvement to our team overall.

I think Traore is a largely overrated player who’s just in hot hot form atm and is quick.
Is a fantastic bench option or come on, but not much more than that in the long term / normal form.
I think this is pretty much right. I think on paper, we're better almost everywhere, bar Neves and Traore (not to say he's world class, just better than anything we currently have in that position). The problem is that Wolves is currently a far better run club.

stubie

De Gea

Doherty
Boly
Maguire
Jonny

Neves
Moutinho/Fernandes
Pogba

Adama
Raul
Rashford

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
De Gea

Doherty
Boly
Maguire
Jonny

Neves
Moutinho/Fernandes
Pogba

Adama
Raul
Rashford
See, I don't get that. You would take 3 of their defenders and put them in a back 4 when they have a worse defensive record with these 3 players in a back 5. You would take 2 of their attackers when they have a worst attacking record than us despite the fact that Martial, Pogba, Fernandes(was playing for someone else) and now Rashford have been out for significant periods of time.

stubie

See, I don't get that. You would take 3 of their defenders and put them in a back 4 when they have a worse defensive record with these 3 players in a back 5. You would take 2 of their attackers when they have a worst attacking record than us despite the fact that Martial, Pogba, Fernandes(was playing for someone else) and now Rashford have been out for significant periods of time.
The defenders I have picked are better options than what we currently have, There midfield is much more balanced as well

Overall I'm going for what I believe is the best quality of both teams including those who have been injured or just joined

Robbie Boy

The defenders I have picked are better options than what we currently have, There midfield is much more balanced as well

Overall I'm going for what I believe is the best quality of both teams including those who have been injured or just joined
I don't think Jonny and Boly are better than what we have tbh and I imagine if both were here, they would be criticised.

Mainoldo

There you go again. "The players you have mentioned may not end up being United quality".

What is this mythical 'Manchester United quality' you refer to? Surely those players are Manchester United quality, in that they are the best that's available to you, therefore your level?!

Am I missing something?
Are you just highlighting words or taking on board what I am saying. They are not Manchester United quality because our standards are a lot higher than Wolverhampton’s. Never in your lifetime will you be worrying about Wolves underperforming because you’ve failed to win a Premier League title. So maybe you won’t understand.

JPRouve

Scout

And yet they are effectively a worse team with less goals scored and more goals conceded when United has for a large part used backups in midfield and attack. There has to be something really wrong going on, either their manager is terrible or they have the worst luck ever.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Are you just highlighting words or taking on board what I am saying. They are not Manchester United quality because our standards are a lot higher than Wolverhampton’s. Never in your lifetime will you be worrying about Wolves underperforming because you’ve failed to win a Premier League title. So maybe you won’t understand.
I get it now, thanks.

Basically, by holding the current players to an unachievable standard (based on their ability in relation to the competition), you are hoping that will help them raise their performances to that unachievable standard?

I can't see how this could possibly have any negative impact on a young player's performances and is clearly nothing to do with why players seem to go backwards at United.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Exaclty, take Neves and Jiminez for large parts of the season and lets have this discussion again. None of them will get into the United team.
Yeah, all of them are likely experiencing their best years of club football. Not sure who else other than Neves, Jimenez, Traore and possibly Doherty has another level in them. I have doubts over most of them too. There's a reason why they are at Wolves.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Maybe the impact of both managers are highly exaggerated. Similar level of players (as most are agreeing) similar results.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Two evenly matched teams overall, as this season's 257 games between the two teams has shown

Robbie Boy

Maybe the impact of both managers are highly exaggerated. Similar level of players (as most are agreeing) similar results.
Funny isn't it, you think they're at a similar level when your boy Ole spunked more money on one CB than their whole back five combined.

Leftback99

Funny isn't it, you think they're at a similar level when your boy Ole spunked more money on one CB than their whole back five combined.
The same CB that makes every single line up in this thread. Not sure what your point is on that one?

Robbie Boy

The same CB that makes every single line up in this thread. Not sure what your point is on that one?
Well Wolves CB's are hardly anything to write home about. If you think these two are so close, shouldn't we be absolutely miles ahead considering the outlays of both teams? Not to mention the fact Ole has just spunked over 200 mil?

The fact is, we have a far superior squad that a good manager would do far better with. You live in la la Ole land.

dove

:lol: Right, keep convincing yourself that. Our squad is miles better than Wolves, the fact that we have a useless manager who is dragging our team down towards midtable doesn't mean our squad is shit. People mentioning 6-7 players who would walk into our team from Wolves is a typical "the grass is greener" case, like it happened with Leicester. When they were shit nobody would have picked any player from their team except Perreira maybe. Now when they are doing well, they are suddenly full of players better than ours :lol:

JPRouve

Scout
Well Wolves CB's are hardly anything to write home about. If you think these two are so close, shouldn't we be absolutely miles ahead considering the outlays of both teams? Not to mention the fact Ole has just spunked over 200 mil?

The fact is, we have a far superior squad that a good manager would do far better with. You live in la la Ole land.
That's not even the point. These defenders have a worse defensive record while playing in a back 5, none of them would walk into our team. At best they would have a chance to start if they have a very good week at Carrington.

Robbie Boy

That's not even the point. These defenders have a worse defensive record while playing in a back 5, none of them would walk into our team. At best they would have a chance to start if they have a very good week at Carrington.
It was a nice way to tell him he's talking utter bollox. Clearly we have spent a feck tonne more than Wolves and for that, we have a far better squad. It's not rocket science. Wolves are doing a great job and the fact he is trying to downplay Nuno is hilarious too. Guess the 'Ole in brigade' are a special breed.

SteveTheRed

:lol: Right, keep convincing yourself that. Our squad is miles better than Wolves, the fact that we have a useless manager who is dragging our team down towards midtable doesn't mean our squad is shit. People mentioning 6-7 players who would walk into our team from Wolves is a typical "the grass is greener" case, like it happened with Leicester. When they were shit nobody would have picked any player from their team except Perreira maybe. Now when they are doing well, they are suddenly full of players better than ours :lol:
Miles better is an overstatement! They are not suddenly doing well, since being taken over in 2016 and Nuno came in they smashed the Championship with 99 points and first season finished 7th ...now looking to finish top 6. They are a force.

Even their options off the bench are better than ours- if Podence , Neto, Gibbs-White, Dendoncker played for us we would all be lauding them saying how great they are. Can you really tell me they aren't better than Periera, Lingard, Gomes, Chong right now?

Robbie Boy

If both managers had of swapped clubs at the start of the season, I'm 100% confident that the gap between both clubs would be far greater. Nuno is a very good coach and he is getting the best out of his team. Whereas we have a manager that is beyond diabolical.

dove

Miles better is an overstatement! They are not suddenly doing well, since being taken over in 2016 and Nuno came in they smashed the Championship with 99 points and first season finished 7th ...now looking to finish top 6. They are a force.

Even their options off the bench are better than ours- if Podence , Neto, Gibbs-White, Dendoncker played for us we would all be lauding them saying how great they are. Can you really tell me they aren't better than Periera, Lingard, Gomes, Chong right now?
They have a decent team of course, never said they were shite. However we have a much better one. Don't let the fact that we have a useless manager fool you into thinking that our players are crap. I think our fans generally tend to underrate our team a lot and overrate certain teams who are doing well by their standards. Give Ole Wolves team and they would 100% get relegated.

Zlatattack

Our team is under-estimated on this forum. It's not a bad team, we just have poor squad depth, we're missing a RW and our manager is poor.

On paper we have;

DDG
AWB Maguire Lindelof Shaw
McTominay Pogba
James Fernandes Martial
Rashford​

If that team managed to play 10 games together, we'd have a very good side, certainly better than the position we are in.

In that first 11, only Neves and Traore would improve our team. Our Squad however would defintely be improved by Jiminez, Doherty and Boly.

If we can keep this team together this summer and add a backup ST, goalscoring RW, first choice CDM, first choice LB and maybe a first choice CB, we'd have a title winning team. We'd have a shot even with a RW, ST and CDM. We're not that short.

Unfortunately I expect us to lose Pogba, waste time chasing Sancho and baulk at the midfield options and ignore the others.

Robbie Boy

Some serious revisionism here about Wolves apparently being all that and close to us in terms of quality. This is no disrespect whatsoever to them but more a testament to the marvellous work of Nuno. Let's take a look at some of these players that are apparently at a similar level to our team:

Patricio - Came after spending his whole career in Portugal for a fee of around £16m
Doherty - Signed for £75k back in 2010
Coady - Signed for around £2m from Huddersfield
Boly - Was a complete failure at Porto £11m
Jonny - Couldn't break into the Atletico team and signed for £15m

Neves - Had lost his way at Porto and signed for £15m
Moutinho - Signed as a 31 year old for around £5m
Dendoncker - No one ever took a gamble on him from Anderlecht and cost Wolves around £13m

Jota - £12m after failing to break into Atletico team following a loan at Porto
Jimenez - Wasn't up to much in Portugal before a good season on loan followed by a £30m transfer
Traore - Signed from Boro as an erractic work in progress for £18m

Now, people are trying to claim that these players are genuinely better than ours? I'm sorry but this just illustrates the fantastic job that Nuno is doing. Give these players to Ole and we would be honestly 15th or thereabouts. They have some good players for sure, but ffs stop with the Ole agenda pretending every squad is better than ours. The fact is that we have a hopeless manager.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Romero
Wan Bissaka — Boly — Maguire — Williams
Moutinho — Pogba
Rashford — Fernandes — Martial
Jiménez​

billybee99

Absolutely. When it's time to praise the manager, our squad is really coming together and we're building something special. When it's time to deflect, we've got a relation level team. Bet all these people genuinely believed we'd finish behind Leicester and Chelsea at the start of the season. Funnily enough start of the season predictions are often a good way to debunk theories about people's conveniently ever shifting opinions on the 'hand that's been dealt' (a hand which allows you to spend 180 million pounds btw).
Interesting post. Don't forget "injuries"; if we only had Pogba all season, we'd be challenging Liverpool under Ole's direction. I would love someone to go to the pre-season prediction threads and pull up some predictions from some of the prominent Ole-in crowd; as you point out, I doubt very much that they were saying that Wolves and Sheffield United and Leicester had better squads than us.

Twingatz

Seems a bit pointless saying we're 'on a rebuild' when they're a club being rebuilt also - albeit in a far more well planned manner on the footballing side.

Also, I'm not so sure that Utd will finish ahead of Wolves, the next handful of fixtures could easily see Wolves gather momentum going into the run in.

Utd's next 6 PL fixtures...

Chelsea (A)
Watford (H)
Everton (A)
City (H)
Spuds (A)
Sheffield United (H)

Wolves next 6 PL fixtures...

Foxes (H)
Norwich (H)
Spuds (A)
Brighton (H)
West Ham (A)
Bournemouth (H)

Obviously the season is longer than 6 games left, but if they were to open up a 7-9 point gap in that period, I'm not sure I'd trust this current Utd side to pull it back.

Looking at that fixture lineup I could see them ahead of us easily. Unless they bottle some of those.

billybee99

Some serious revisionism here about Wolves apparently being all that and close to us in terms of quality. This is no respect whatsoever to them but more a testament to the marvellous work of Nuno. Let's take a look at some of these players that are apparently at a similar level to our team:

Patricio - Came after spending his whole career in Portugal for a fee of around £16m

Dendoncker - No one ever took a gamble on him from Anderlecht and cost Wolves around £13m

Jimenez - Wasn't up to much in Portugal before a good season on loan followed by a £30m transfer

Now, people are trying to claim that these players are genuinely better than ours? I'm sorry but this just illustrates the fantastic job that Nuno is doing. Give these players to Ole and we would be honestly 15th or thereabouts. They have some good players for sure, but ffs stop with the Ole agenda pretending every squad is better than ours. The fact is that we have a hopeless manager.
Superb post. In the absence of Nuno, most of these Wolves players are rather average; take them out of this system and away from Nuno and we would see that. For me, Traore is the only one that gets into our squad and that is only by virtue of our absolute refusal to buy a proper RW over the last 6 years. As for the Ole/Bruno comparison, I think Bruno would have us in the top 4 and I think Ole would have Wolves fighting for their Premier League lives (and that's assuming he hadn't already led them to relegation last season).

billybee99

His point is that Nuno is matching Ole with a tiny fraction of Ole's budget. Ole has the luxury of splunking 80 million on one defender and Nuno would have to use that same 80 million on his entire back 4 and keeper.

Paul_Scholes18

I would take Jiminez at the moment over Martial. Traore over James too.
Not sure I want more than that. If Lingard or Pereira start for us I guess I could take a random Wolves player instead too.
Maybe Patricio over De Gea right now too.
Doherty is very good in attack too, but we do not use wingbacks. If we did I would take him.
Boly is pretty good, but missed most of this season. Although 3 man defense might help him out.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Only Traore goes straight in combined 11. And Santo as a coach.
Neves/Fred and Martial/Jimenez are 50:50 and we can talk about it.

Ddg, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw, Pogba, Bruno, Rashford and AWB are superior to what they have.

Robbie Boy

His point is that Nuno is matching Ole with a tiny fraction of Ole's budget. Ole has the luxury of splunking 80 million on one defender and Nuno would have to use that same 80 million on his entire back 4 and keeper.
Bingo. And yet he wondered what my point was when he downplayed Nuno's contribution in the very post that I quoted from him.

Leftback99

Some serious revisionism here about Wolves apparently being all that and close to us in terms of quality. This is no disrespect whatsoever to them but more a testament to the marvellous work of Nuno. Let's take a look at some of these players that are apparently at a similar level to our team:

Rashford - free
Lingard - free
Greenwood - free
Williams - free
Pereira - almost free
McTominay - free

If Nuno is working some kind of miracle with cut price Mendes clients then what is Ole doing with this lot? You can't have it both ways.

If we wanted even Coady we'd be quoted £50m+. That's the comparison with Maguire to judge the quality of the two sides, not how much he cost years ago.

NoPace

De Gea
Wan Bissaka — Boly — Maguire — Jonny
Neves — Fred
Traore — Pogba — Rashford
Jiménez​

-At home against weaker sides or after an hour when tied, probably replace Wan-Bissaka with Doherty's offensive prowess

-Similarly, Bruno Fernandes for Neves or Fred in those situations and is basically the first choice sub for the final 30 minutes or if anyone is hurt

-Moutinho was much better than Neves last year whenever I saw them but the gap has closed, which makes sense since Moutinho is 33 and Neves is 22.

-Jonny is a more mature Brandon Williams but LB is the weakest position here. I like Vinagre's potential but certainly it's the first position you'd look to fill with a transfer unless Boly it turns out gets exposed a bit in a 2

-There's no evidence Conor Coady can play in a 2