How many Utd players would walk into Wolves first 11 and vice-versa...?

ash_86

DDG
Doherty - Maguire - Coady - Williams
Neves
Pogba - Bruno
Traore - Jimenez - Rashford​
Wonderful team.

if we are going by the players that were available over the weekend

DDG
Doherty - Maguire - Coady - Williams
Neves Fred
Bruno
Traore - Jimenez - Jota

Bench : Moutinho, Nato , Greenwood, Podence, Dendoncker, Jonny, Romero

That's how poor our squad was.

edgar allan

About right. Though I would have AWB in there instead of Doherty. With Traore you just need to let him do his thing. Having adequate protection behind him is more important than any attacking threat.
Bruno has played one game in the PL ?

0le

I am fecking sick to death of Wolves and hope they get relegated next season.

Canagel

If he could just add learning to pass to our players consistency and not give the ball away constantly or even how to strike a ball he might deserve your accolade
Doesn't pass to our players consistently and gives the ball away constantly yet has 88% pass completion rate the highest on the team. I'm confused

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Fred is arguably the first name on any combined eleven. By far one of the best midfielders in the league and Man Utd's player of the season
One of the best in the league? He'd be 6th choice at Liverpool or City!

He has improved the season, but he's not one of the best midfielders in the league, nowhere near!

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
DDG
AWB
Maguire
Lindelöf
Williams
Fred
Bruno
Pogba
Rashford
Traore
Martial

Nunez coach (The most important element)

I think the best way to do these is to look at it as. If you was playing Real Madrid in a champions league final who would you pick.

That will always make you pick your best XI. Although I would probably pick a fit Bailly to partner Maguire.
Martial over Jiménez... in a game that mattered...? No chance man.

Jiménez for me would be pretty much the first name on the teamsheet!

TheReligion

Abusive
One of the best in the league? He'd be 6th choice at Liverpool or City!

He has improved the season, but he's not one of the best midfielders in the league, nowhere near!
Fred has shown more than Keita has to be fair and he'd certainly be ahead of him.

Irwin99

Not too sure to be honest. They're two evenly matched sides, good on their day but both a bit one dimensional. That's why the games are usually so crap. I get the feeling both teams prefer to be the underdog.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Fred is arguably the first name on any combined eleven. By far one of the best midfielders in the league and Man Utd's player of the season
Fred?

Yeah he has been okay recently, but by far one of the best midfielders in the league? Not even close, is he even in the top 10 this campaign? Maybe? Grealish, Maddison, Ndidi, Kante, McGinn, Henderson, McTominay, Moutinho, Jorginho, Rodrigo, Ward-Prowse, Fernandinho. Where does Fred fit in here compared to these players? Hell even Capoue and Shelvey are having good seasons in midfield.

Looking over Ward-Prowse, who people would probably think is the worst midfielder from the list above, he averages more assists, more tackles, more key passes, more interceptions, than Fred.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It depends on who is manager really. Can we include our loanees ? If so

DDG
AWB
Maguire
Smalling (or Lindelof second choice)
feck knows at LB**
Fred/Mctominay
Neves/Moutinho**
Pogba
Rashford
Martial
Jiminez**

So maybe 3 players and I'm not convinced I'd take their left back either. And our squad is far far stronger. People like to pretend we have a squad as bad as Wolves when our record over the years despite our troubles tells you we are much better. As does seeing the general ability of our players. I imagine Bruno would get in eve tuallt but have to see more of him.

Oh I forgot to mention

Manager - Nunez (don't think he's a top manager in the making but solid enough, and definitely better than Ole)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
These combined 11 always misses the most important point, expectations. What's good for Wolves will be called as average for ManUtd. If Wolves players are so good that they dominate combined 11, then why are they as good or bad as us in the league with superior coach? That too when we have missed so many key players this season.

Most don't watch full games, just watches MOTD which shows best bits. When Wolves players are not making headlines they are forgotten for sometime before hyped up again.

Take Lukaku as example, last season he got shit even when he scored brace against Burnley as he missed many chances, now after every goal people go on and on as if he is second coming of Batigol. Now they don't care about missed chances.

Pogba plays so well but gets criticised as he doesn't control games but players like Moutinho and Neves are rated so highly even though their average possession is less than 50%. Players are not judged by same standards.

If James was at lesser PL club with 9 goals + assists in the league people would be praising their scouting team, he was poor in last few games but people won't notice that as at smaller club he won't make headlines for poor form.

Let's assume 5-6 Wolves players will make the combined 11, does that mean Nuno is average or shit? As he isn't doing better than Ole and Ole is managing worse team with 2-3 key players missing many games.

Last edited:

CM

I don't think there are many Wolves players who walk into our team when we're at full complement.

On current form, Traore and Jiminez would. Beyond that, most of them are much of a muchness. You could make a case for Doherty, either of their left backs, Moutinho/Neves and maybe even Neto but I don't think any of them are conclusively better than what we have.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
They're not surprised as they realise our manager is fecking hopeless.
:lol: been a while Robbie. Hope you’re well man.

Yeah bit tough with all these hypotheticals - not least until we start playing to our full potential, that is.

But 4 options I’d have a look at are Neves, Doherty (could also allow flexibility to move AWB to RCB in a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3), Traore & Jimenez.

Moutinho could be an option if Pogba were to leave.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Seems a bit pointless saying we're 'on a rebuild' when they're a club being rebuilt also - albeit in a far more well planned manner on the footballing side.

Also, I'm not so sure that Utd will finish ahead of Wolves, the next handful of fixtures could easily see Wolves gather momentum going into the run in.

Utd's next 6 PL fixtures...

Chelsea (A)
Watford (H)
Everton (A)
City (H)
Spuds (A)
Sheffield United (H)

Wolves next 6 PL fixtures...

Foxes (H)
Norwich (H)
Spuds (A)
Brighton (H)
West Ham (A)
Bournemouth (H)

Obviously the season is longer than 6 games left, but if they were to open up a 7-9 point gap in that period, I'm not sure I'd trust this current Utd side to pull it back.
so what you're saying is that a team that has the same amount of points as us has been more consistent? think about that for a sec...

Adamsk7

I’d absolutely love Neves and Jiminez here. It’s so obvious they are both what we need that I think the club will get one of them in the summer. Im actually hoping Ighalo does really well and we can keep him for a small fee so that we sign Neves, who I think would be fantastic, BUT if that doesn’t happen (likely) then I think Raul is the top target because we will need a good striker as no.1 priority

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Surprised at the lack of Moutinho

M Bison

Supports
York City
Not a fan of Traore at all, i think he's massively over-hyped and in large parts due to his physique. I would have always taken Neves but of the games i've seen this season (which isnt a huge amount in fairness), he's not looked great so i'd probably stick with our own CM's.

Would take Jimenez in a heart-beat, would be delighted if we were to bring him in as our no 9 and i think we'd be a completely different team with someone like him in it over Martial.

Mainoldo

They wouldn't, Fabregas is particularly bad.
Yeah his legs are gone but I’m just highlighting Moutinho isn’t some mini Scholes in the making. He’s at his level. They wouldn’t pick him to start for Portugal.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah his legs are gone but I’m just highlighting Moutinho isn’t some mini Scholes in the making. He’s at his level. They wouldn’t pick him to start for Portugal.
No, they aren't at the same level at all and I'm not saying that Moutinho is great.

Robbie Boy

:lol: been a while Robbie. Hope you’re well man.

Yeah bit tough with all these hypotheticals - not least until we start playing to our full potential, that is.

But 4 options I’d have a look at are Neves, Doherty (could also allow flexibility to move AWB to RCB in a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3), Traore & Jimenez.

Moutinho could be an option if Pogba were to leave.
I'm all goo Ish, hope you're keeping well too mate :)

Aye, these hypothetical teams are always fairly subjective tbh. For instance, I think AWB has a higher ceiling than Doherty, but for the here and now and what we need, I would take Doherty over him due to his attacking output. Jimenez would be a nailed on starter for us, but again, I think Martial has the potential to be a better player with the right coach in place. Though with Martial, it does feel at times that all the stars have to align in order to get the best out of him both attitude wise and on the pitch.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Let's try this thread again;

How shit would the Wolves players look if they played for United?

Devil81

Wolves - Doherty, Neves, Dendonker, Moutinho, Jimenez, Traore, Patricio

I'd say they'd make our team/squad.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I might take Neves and Jiménez for squad depth but that's about it, there's a reason most of them are at Wolves, and have been since they were in the Championship, and that's before you factor in could they hack it at Old Trafford where every under hit pass and over hit cross is analysed to death, and very few could.

ps. I'd probably take Patrício over Grant as no.3 goalkeeper.

Robbie Boy

It depends on who is manager really. Can we include our loanees ? If so

DDG
AWB
Maguire
Smalling (or Lindelof second choice)
feck knows at LB**
Fred/Mctominay
Neves/Moutinho**
Pogba
Rashford
Martial
Jiminez**

So maybe 3 players and I'm not convinced I'd take their left back either. And our squad is far far stronger. People like to pretend we have a squad as bad as Wolves when our record over the years despite our troubles tells you we are much better. As does seeing the general ability of our players. I imagine Bruno would get in eve tuallt but have to see more of him.

Oh I forgot to mention

Manager - Nunez (don't think he's a top manager in the making but solid enough, and definitely better than Ole)
I think there's a direct correlation between the posters that profess how rubbish our squad is and their stance on Ole. Funnily enough, if you look back over threads from the start of the season, plenty of the self professed 'Ole in brigade' were waxing lyrical about how exciting this season will be and how they're happy with the squad. Now that Ole is doing a pretty awful job, all of a sudden the squad is no better than Burnley's. Agendas eh.

Mainoldo

No, they aren't at the same level at all and I'm not saying that Moutinho is great.
Moutinho is at his level. He’s not Manchester United level. I’m sure we can agree with that!!!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Moutinho is at his level. He’s not Manchester United level. I’m sure we can agree with that!!!
We can agree with that but it's different to Fabregas being at Wolves level, he is barely a Ligue 1 player and was rightfully sidelined by Jardim.