How much time is enough time to gauge Ole?

Corwin

He should be given more time of course. There is no point sacking him right now, our biggest problem is not the manager. I just want him to be more courageous, give more chances to youngsters rather than people like Matic and Young, play more attacking football like we did when Ole was caretaker. No one will blame him if we play entertaining football but lose. It's much worse when we don't even try to be aggressive and lose eventually. Still have faith in him.

Strelok

In short, longer than one season.
No I don't think so, one season is quite enough.
Given our squad (it's not as good as some think and not bad as some think) he should finish at least 6th in the league this season. Even I fully support and believe in him however if he finish like 10th this season then he definitely should go (unless there is some major injury crisis).

Relfy

Lads, we all need to be realistic here and admit that we are a million miles off challenging domestically and for CL. Getting rid of Ole now and replacing him with literally any other coach in world football is not going to mask that fact. We will finish somewhere between 3rd-7th this season, and much of that will depend on those around us. Whoever gets 3rd and 4th will likely because they've been the least shite out of the chasing pack. Changing the manager at this stage will not make the difference, no one is going to get the likes of Lingard, Mata, Matic, Young to start playing high quality football that will change our season.

The squad is wafer thin, and although I fully back the removal of the deadwood, we didn't replace those players with improvements. We are criminally short in midfield and up front which is a situation that with a competent recruitment/DoF department in place would not have been allowed to happen.

Is Ole the right man long term, and should he have been given the job at the time he did as opposed to seeing out the rest of the season, are both fair questions, but to say that he must be sacked now is in my opinion ridiculous. We need to look at the bigger picture here. The club is broken at the top and this has seeped down into the first team squad.

We do have reasons to be positive. Looking at the players who were moved on, I imagine 99% of us would agree that Ole made the right decisions, though perhaps a case could have been made for Herrera at a stretch. We have made 3 good signings this summer in AWB, James and Maguire. These are all positive signs that we have some semblance of a vision which we have lacked over the past 6 years. Simply chopping each manager every 1-2 years is not a system that has proved successful for us thus far, and not one that is likely to change unless and until there is a proper footballing department in charge.

Our current fanbase is turning into a joke, so either back the team and the manager, get behind and support the lads, or go get fecked and support someone else.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
@Relfy

Nobody takes pleasure in what’s going on with our club. Absolutely nobody. Take that onboard. Most of us make comments of what we see, not what we want. In the corporate world trust is invisible, whenever it’s up for discussion the trust is fading and the rest is just a matter of time.

NWRed

Lads, we all need to be realistic here and admit that we are a million miles off challenging domestically and for CL. Getting rid of Ole now and replacing him with literally any other coach in world football is not going to mask that fact. We will finish somewhere between 3rd-7th this season, and much of that will depend on those around us. Whoever gets 3rd and 4th will likely because they've been the least shite out of the chasing pack. Changing the manager at this stage will not make the difference, no one is going to get the likes of Lingard, Mata, Matic, Young to start playing high quality football that will change our season.

The squad is wafer thin, and although I fully back the removal of the deadwood, we didn't replace those players with improvements. We are criminally short in midfield and up front which is a situation that with a competent recruitment/DoF department in place would not have been allowed to happen.

Is Ole the right man long term, and should he have been given the job at the time he did as opposed to seeing out the rest of the season, are both fair questions, but to say that he must be sacked now is in my opinion ridiculous. We need to look at the bigger picture here. The club is broken at the top and this has seeped down into the first team squad.

We do have reasons to be positive. Looking at the players who were moved on, I imagine 99% of us would agree that Ole made the right decisions, though perhaps a case could have been made for Herrera at a stretch. We have made 3 good signings this summer in AWB, James and Maguire. These are all positive signs that we have some semblance of a vision which we have lacked over the past 6 years. Simply chopping each manager every 1-2 years is not a system that has proved successful for us thus far, and not one that is likely to change unless and until there is a proper footballing department in charge.

Our current fanbase is turning into a joke, so either back the team and the manager, get behind and support the lads, or go get fecked and support someone else.
Well said, it's like we're supported by a bunch of 4 year olds who throw a tantrum everytime they're told they can't have a candy bar.

buckooo1978

I'd give Solskjaer until the end of the season....I feel for him with the lack of depth in the squad but he should have put his feet down for even some short term options to see us through this difficult year.

we need to be realistic in terms of signings but also in terms of how the players are applying themselves.

I can see signs that the apathy is returning. It characterised our run in last season when players looked fecked off and energy/intensity levels seemed to fade . Ole will need to change this, improve some players and improve tactically.

Personally at the end of the season I'd be tempted to change the manager if things dont improve

redshaw

Good news.
I'd say they will see how results are when we get some players back, maybe make a Jan signing. I doubt they will take the pain if we're 12th at Christmas and every game is looking like a loss or draw with the odd win.

zenith

Absolutely agree with this post. Changing managers now will accomplish nothing.

Ole has overseen the departure of so much deadwood in one season and that in itself deserves credit. I for one would be inclined to give him another summer, if only to ensure that the likes of matic, young, lingard, baily, Rojo, Jones and Mata are also shown the door.

Quality signings made by him over the summer have also been a huge positive and it's something we have lacked over the years.

Hopefully pogba, martial and shaw are back soon because losing them is a hammer blow for an already depleted squad and the blame for that is squarely on Woodward's door. What I truly feel for that guy cannot be said on this forum.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We have a decent first eleven but take anyone out, especially the best two forward players and it's average at best.

I saw someone say that we've basically replaced herrera, fellajni, sanchez and lukaku with james.
Incredible when you think of it like that just from a numbers aspect

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We have a decent first eleven but take anyone out, especially the best two forward players and it's average at best.

I saw someone say that we've basically replaced herrera, fellajni, sanchez and lukaku with james.

Incredible when you think of it like that just from a numbers aspect
Huh ? What about AWB and Maguire ?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think the point is being made is that in the midfield/attacking positions we've lost the above players and only replaced them with one forward in James.
That's unfair though, Fellaini and Herrera have little in common with James so shouldn't be counted in this comparison.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Right now it's far too early to judge. Things could quickly turn around again by Christmas, but we need investment in January 100%

We've been unlucky with the injuries to key players, and any team will miss their 2 best attacking talent, especially when you have such a huge drop off like our squad does.

Godfather

He doesn't see it as a bad decision, and neither do I, I personally think it's the best decision he's made in the previous 6 years.
Jesus. No wonder we are in this shit when even our supporters believe that.
He was a cheap and easy solution after a honeymoon period. He doesn't have it what it takes to ever become even decent at this job.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Ole was appointed as a temporary manager, Woodfraud then back tracked on the plan to find another manager this summer and appointed Ole near the end of last season. Ever since that appointment, our form has been atrocious, our play has been boring, we leak goals, and we think the fix to our squad woes is to let the likes of Lukaku and Herrera go, to buy a championship player, and to put faith in McTominay and Pereira as our midfield dynamo.

Not won an away game since March, haven't gone more than 2 games with a clean sheet. Bournemouth have scored more goals than us this season. We've got the same points tally as Sheffield United.

We've gone backwards.
and Bournemouth easily beat I team we struggled to draw with (Southampton) and lost to a team that was then thumped by Spurs a few days later

Zlatattack

Spot on. There is no manager in the world short of Mandrake the Magician who can wave his hands in a mystical gesture and produce a top defensive midfielder, a striker, and the other players the team still needs. If Ole was sacked, the new manager would still be stuck with with the same dross Ole is. Ole isn't perfect, but switching managers won't magically make this United team good: there is no manager in the world who can turn, for instance, Matic into a good player, and yet he is the player we are stuck with.

These failures are on Woodward and the Glazers, not Ole.
I'm inclined to agree, but what i don't get it, when he came in, we went unbeaten for like 10 games (6W4D). What was working then, that isn't now?

Look at this table - points collected since Ole took over permanently.

https://talksport.com/football/6053...ole-gunnar-solskjaer-jose-mourinho-permanent/

There are only 3 other teams with a worst points count than us in that time. I don't think sacking him will fix us, but there has got to be a point where he earns his salary. We can't have this form continue.

In his favour though;
- Key players will return soon (Pogba, Shaw, Martial)
- The youngsters are likely to improve over the course of the season

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I see he's second favourite to be the next PL manger sacked and I'm afraid that doesn't really surprise me. I don't see much change between the loss at West Ham under Jose and the loss at West Ham last weekend. I have never called for a United manger to be sacked although I didn't cry when Moyes went. A few more games like last weekend and it will be much the same...

Member 90887

He should at least have Two transfer windows.

He did well in the summer, there was no point continuing with the old guard. Let's see if he's backed in January with the players that he wants. up until now, all his signings have been excellent. there's no reason he shouldn't be trusted with a couple to at least have the spine of the team as he wants it. We should see improvements by that time.

I'm personally not that bothered by the results, i'm more interested by what's happening around the club and the playing personel. and i like the fact that bar a few players, we got rid of most the players that were on high wages, didn't deliver or weren't 100%. I like the new signings and if we could get 2 or 3 as successful as the one we got last summer, we will click soon.

People should remember that the last couple of games we were without Pogba and Martial. so it's logical that our game suffers from it.

Judas

Open to offers
Martial has returned to his status as one of the best strikers in the world with this injury I see, the way he's being spoken about again is so funny, happens every time.

Camilo

I think he's already done. He's shown nothing apart from a brief upturn in results early last year (many of which were in contrast to the performances).

Apparently he's got rid of "the deadwood". Lukaku, Fellaini and Herrera eh?!? Three senior, established professionals?? Clap clap clap. We've "replaced" a proven goal-scoring striker with a couple of (still!!!) underwhelming kids (except they're not kids anymore, and we're paying them a combined half million a week...), and we're playing completely unproven academy/championship players in an unstructured mess of an 11 (expecting them to "kick on" or whatever bullshit football cliche applies).

And still, with all that said it's still hard to know what to do.. He's overseen the final exodus of quality from the squad and we've celebrated it. His signings look decent, so on one hand I'd be happy to let him continue the build, but on the other his form is atrocious and Pogba certainly looks on his way out. If the right man became available I'd like the think we'd make the jump, but I wouldn't sack him just because of our form (yet). Come January? Maybe we have to.

xHorizoNx

I would love to see Ole given a chance to start next season as the manager. That would give him 3 windows to add players. If it's more of the same this time next year then sack him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He should at least have Two transfer windows.

He did well in the summer, there was no point continuing with the old guard. Let's see if he's backed in January with the players that he wants. up until now, all his signings have been excellent. there's no reason he shouldn't be trusted with a couple to at least have the spine of the team as he wants it. We should see improvements by that time.

I'm personally not that bothered by the results, i'm more interested by what's happening around the club and the playing personel. and i like the fact that bar a few players, we got rid of most the players that were on high wages, didn't deliver or weren't 100%. I like the new signings and if we could get 2 or 3 as successful as the one we got last summer, we will click soon.

People should remember that the last couple of games we were without Pogba and Martial. so it's logical that our game suffers from it.
Our best two players. Certainly going forward.

Melville Red

Not another manager thread.
You can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Who would get into a top European side from our current lot?

De Gea, possibly his form has been iffy lately but I’ll give him the benefit that class is permanent etc

Maguire? Well we paid a world record for him, time will tell but he is a big, no huge improvement over Jones and the rest.

Bassaka, too soon too judge but again a great improvement.

Pogba? Madrid didn’t table a bid did they, or any body else for that matter.

Rashford, oh please he’s no Harry Kane no chance of him getting into the Liverpool squad let alone Bayern Munich or Madrid.

Martial, see Rashford.

The rest of our players I’m not even going to mention.

So there you are, a pigs ear of a squad, until the Glaziers and Woodward are out we are stuffed, about as stuffed as a turkey at Christmas.

Foxbatt

No matter how many transfer windows are given those world class players are not going to come to play for a mid table club with an inexperienced manager.
This is why I blame Ole for going for those kind of players who are not going to come. If he had gone looking for players who are better than what we have ( plenty of them around) then our midfield would have improved a lot and get us to the CL spots and then go for those world class players.
Ole is responsible for not improving our midfield by not looking at achievable targets instead of trying to get impossible targets.

Alabaster Codify7

No matter how many transfer windows are given those world class players are not going to come to play for a mid table club with an inexperienced manager.
This is why I blame Ole for going for those kind of players who are not going to come. If he had gone looking for players who are better than what we have ( plenty of them around) then our midfield would have improved a lot and get us to the CL spots and then go for those world class players.
Ole is responsible for not improving our midfield by not looking at achievable targets instead of trying to get impossible targets.

I agree.

Our best case scenario with Ole and this squad, the very best case scenario (if you have an ounce of realism in your body) is:

- We finish 4th-6th this season, but with a good season in terms of football and promise.
- In the summer, Matic, Mata and a few others are moved on - we sign 2-3 more players (under the radar type signings, don't forget, 60m net spend of course, with Ed at the helm).
- Next season, we play an even younger starting 11 with a couple of additions and finish top 4 comfortably.

Ole then moves upstairs or elsewhere and a top-class manager takes over, with a more attractive 'project' to take hold of. No top manager is going to touch this squad as it is, and Ole is not the long-term answer. We can only hope he improves us enough to make us attractive to someone better.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Things have been bad but lets not get fecking crazy.
Honestly speaking if I watched a selection of the last 10 games and wasn't told who the manager was, I would have believed someone who said Moyes. I can't tell the difference between the two when I watch United anymore.

stevoc

Honestly speaking if I watched a selection of the last 10 games and wasn't told who the manager was, I would have believed someone who said Moyes. I can't tell the difference between the two when I watch United anymore.
So you agree that Moyes wouldn't be doing better then?

PS i could tell the difference between the styles of play but the results currently are shit it has to be said.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So you agree that Moyes wouldn't be doing better then?

PS i could tell the difference between the styles of play but the results currently are shit it has to be said.
I think there isn't much between the two which screams how bad Ole has been so far.

Also didn't Moyes have a better points per game after the same period? I can't remember it's in one of the threads. It's been Jose>LVG>Moyes>Ole.

El Zoido

Needs the full season really, and more time with a consistent squad. Think the first XI is decent but severely lacking outside of that.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Moyes had RVP, Rooney, Giggs, Valencia, Nani, Welbeck, Hernandez, a 5 year younger Mata. Just a slight difference in quality to what we have now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Moyes had RVP, Rooney, Giggs, Valencia, Nani, Welbeck, Hernandez, a 5 year younger Mata. Just a slight difference in quality to what we have now.
Ole chose to sell key players that would have certainly made a difference without a replacement. That's on him. Sick and tired on the Ole working on scraps answers (not you, but just in general)

foolsgold

I have zero problem with how he's doing. I like the players he's signed, more importantly I agree with the players he's punted.

Rome wasn't built in a day; I'll judge him in May 2022 when he's had time to build a squad.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'm inclined to agree, but what i don't get it, when he came in, we went unbeaten for like 10 games (6W4D). What was working then, that isn't now?

Look at this table - points collected since Ole took over permanently.

https://talksport.com/football/6053...ole-gunnar-solskjaer-jose-mourinho-permanent/

There are only 3 other teams with a worst points count than us in that time. I don't think sacking him will fix us, but there has got to be a point where he earns his salary. We can't have this form continue.

In his favour though;
- Key players will return soon (Pogba, Shaw, Martial)
- The youngsters are likely to improve over the course of the season
It doesn't make good reading but other than City and Liverpool (and Palace..) the grass is barely any greener elsewhere considering how bad our squad is.

stevoc

I think there isn't much between the two which screams how bad Ole has been so far.

Also didn't Moyes have a better points per game after the same period? I can't remember it's in one of the threads. It's been Jose>LVG>Moyes>Ole.
The Moyes points per game and win ratio thing needs to die and not be brought up constantly as a stick to beat other managers with. He took over the runaway champions and a squad packed with talent and experience. So of course he was going to win most of his early games, tellingly though as that season went on he started picking up less and less points as it became more and more his team/tactics/strategy.

TRUERED89

Seriously stop banging on about the Fergie crap. Fergie is a one in a generation manager. Times have changed. Football has changed. Clubs around the world are getting richer, players prices are getting more and more inflated. Top clubs are more ruthless with their managers and rightly so. We keep mocking plastic clubs like Man City, PSG or Madrid, but they keep raking in the trophies. So who's laughing now? Everyone can afford to sign expensive players and if we keep living in nostalgia, we will sink into mediocrity forever.
Madrid are no plastic club, they may be disliked but they spend their own money. What an incredible history they have too, unlike those blue w@nkers and that Qatari Saint Germain.