How much trouble are Liverpool in?

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
They haven’t recovered from last season’s league and champions league losses. To come so close and not make it would have taken a lot out of them mentally and physically. Now Klopp needs to get new inhalers

redcucumber

They are in massive trouble until the postie turns up with a fresh batch of P̶E̶D̶s̶ inhalers for the poor lambs.

Relfy

When? They're overplaying the old players while the younger (middle aged/old) injury prone players are in and out and in the squad. It's not really a recipe for doing well.

Teams have figured out TAA, Robbo looks shattered, VVD isn't the same. All while while Nunez relies on a bad touch.

It's going to be fun to watch :)
Well, when their injured players are back from injury ;) All jokes aside, I hope they never recover, but you'd imagine that when some out of form players regain form, and their injured players like Thiago, Jota, Matip, Konate, etc., come back in they will lift the squad and improve. That or the inhalers have stopped working.

Josh 76

They have peaked, but will still be 2nd and get to the latter stages of the CL.

Wilt

They’ll finish second behind City

CL semi finalists

Red Stone

Pretty early to declare the relegation race over imo. Still quite far away from that elusive 40 points mark
They're on course for a 25 point finish as of now. Can they find an extra 15 points from somewhere?

Maik2022

I fear this Liverpool is no standard to judge United on. Klopp has clearly stated, that he doesn't want to die on his job like his father. Maybe he is forcing a move or it's like my father says, he is pushing the players so hard, that they're just totally exhausted at one point. Southampton will be the match where you can see if there is an actual improvement.

redcucumber

[Scouse accent] achzackley!

Then we'll be supermen again. :keano:
Anything would be an improvement on the sorry bunch of mentality midgets that turned up to Old Trafford on Monday night under the lights. Except for Firmino, he looks completely useless at this point.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
West Ham, Everton and Liverpool to get relegated.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Not much unfortunately.

They'll go on a run and everything will start going for them at some point this season.

Just like when VVD was injured and they lost 5? in a row season before last.

Member 101269

Well, when their injured players are back from injury ;) All jokes aside, I hope they never recover, but you'd imagine that when some out of form players regain form, and their injured players like Thiago, Jota, Matip, Konate, etc., come back in they will lift the squad and improve. That or the inhalers have stopped working.
There are a lot of starts to align; I'm not sure you can fix TAA from being targeted or the decline of their attack.

The midfield:
They played 63 games last season, an increase of 8 games from 2020-21. Thiago played around 63%, Kaita is the same. Starts for both were around 39% (2021-22), 2020-21 they appeared/started much less. That is in part because Gini played 80% of games. What is happening now, is that they're having to play injury prone players and old players (Henderson/ Milner) because they haven't invested. Those players are going to struggle this season. Fabinho played around 60%.

Who is going to fill the gap?

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I’ve said this many times before, don’t underestimate what constant disappointment can do to you. Klopp seems to be a very taxing person to deal with. After 4 seasons of running and winning ‘only’ 1 PL and 1 CL, the players probably need to be refreshed.
Violent assault right there.
On a related note: I'm telling you this is Klopp's final season at Liverpool. Liverpool squad is mentally exhausted having won 'only' 2 main trophies (1 PL, 1 CL) with their best ever squad of the last 30 years. After all how long can you keep up the intensity with so little reward. The last 5 years will be considered as City's era in the PL and nobody has really dominated the CL (Madrid only won 2 of the last 5). They won't be up for it this season. This will be like Klopp's final season at Dortmund.

Carlo has already spoke about retirement after Madrid which makes me believe he will retire end of this season.
Klopp to Madrid - you heard it here first.

SAFMUTD

Not really in trouble, but the title has slipped away from them. 5 points away from City with only 3 games played may not seem a lot but we've seen in the last seasons how those teams can go 10-15 games without losing. The pressure is huge.

They will definitely improve once they get Thiago, Konate and Fabinho back, easily make top 4.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Most teams looking a little off, except Arsenal who have been bossing it.

City just had a draw with Newcastle, and let in 3 goals. United turn up only when they can be bothered, vs Brentford for example, couldn't be a*#ed. Same goes with Chelsea, well up for the Spurs game, looked like they couldn't give a t*ss in the game vs Leeds. Spurs, I'm not sure how far they can go with Conte ball, I always watch them and think 'are they ever going to get out of first gear?' They just sit in that compact defensive shape and cede possession.

Yeah Liverpool have started poorly, but no one else looking overly convincing either.

The Purley King

I’ve said this many times before, don’t underestimate what constant disappointment can do to you. Klopp seems to be a very taxing person to deal with. After 4 seasons of running and winning ‘only’ 1 PL and 1 CL, the players probably need to be refreshed.
Agree with this point. There must come a point where they must think that nothing they ever do will be quite good enough to get them over the line.
They clearly need midfield reinforcements but hanging your hat on Bellingham for next season is a very risky move, ie he may go somewhere else and he’s unlikely to solve all the problems on his own.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Injuries and losing Mane has halted their start of the season. Their midfield against us gave the fans hope when it was announced. When they have Thiago and Fabinho back in the they’ll be dominating the ball and game again.

Their bench has been thin also, so when a game has not been going their way (think they’ve conceded first in all games) they’ve had no one to turn to. They have Jota, Nunez, Ox, Keita, Thiago, Fabinho, Jones all missing from midfield/attack.

I think they’ll come good, and have a good chance today at home against Bournemouth, but they can’t give City much more of a head start.

Elcabron

The way I see it, Klopp needs to take his time overcoming his seventh season blip with us while Pep walks the league (but no CL again). And then hopefully Pep walks away. No point us giving our all, finishing on 95 points, only to lose the league by one point again. Feck that.

This is Klopp's transition season. We need to change our whole midfield and possibly replace starters like VvD (with Konate) and Robertson (with Tsimikas) at the back. If the Bellingham rumours are true we get him and another decent (injury free!!!!!!!!) midfielder to partner him.

After Klopp's seventh season he seems to recycle back to world class. We'll wait for Pep to leave before that happens.
Transitioning from a great team to a shit one maybe. I'm half joking but surely you need to have a new group of players to be in transition? I think maybe Liverpool are in a pre transition phase.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Opponents know how to play them these days. Just match their intensity and pressing. They don’t like it at all. Fewer teams aim for 0-0 by sitting deep against them.

jesperjaap

Its three games in and they have started poorly, but I dont think the poor form will last too long.

For the great start to his career of Diaz and the huge signing of Nunez.......have to remember there front three performance wise was probably the best in Europe over the last few years and Mane is a big loss. Firmino for some time has been losing form and he was such a great link in those attacks. Diaz and Nunez are different players so the team needs to adjust.....also they are unlikely to get the chemistry and understanding of before.

ALso lets not forget they have had quite a few injury problems. One of the key things I think though is individual performances of the team......as for me several of the players individually have bar the season we finished second been playing at the very bext of there abilities week in week our for the club for exceptionally long periods of time. And that is ridiculous, Firmino is the first one to suffer but is Van Djyk that we saw at Celtic/SOuthampton really the best centre back in Europe which he has been at Liverpool...his form has dipped, TAA best right back....not even in England...his form has dipped.....could say this about several of the players and its not a criticism of them, I think a lot of them are good but not exceptional players so the way they ave performed for some time is a compliments really as they have exceeded there abilities for me in many cases.

But as a team, even if individually some may slip....they will still be right up there I feel by the end of the season as much as I would love for them to crumble

Dannn411

The reaction this week has been so hysterical. They are dealing with so many injuries to key players. They are in no trouble whatsoever.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Rabiot, Arthur and Zakaria would solve all their midfield problems almost instantly. :wenger:

PoTMS

Yep, a 4-0 win against Bournemouth to start their season.

Irrational.

They’ll have imploded by December, and it’ll be hilarious to see.

You can already see the cracks in the way that Milner and VVD were bickering after Sancho scored. Only a matter of time. :drool:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The reaction this week has been so hysterical. They are dealing with so many injuries to key players. They are in no trouble whatsoever.
This is such a myth. That starting line up versus us featured all of their key players bar maybe Fabinho, who is the only one of their centre mids who is key. And he came on later on.

The centre back next to Van Dyke is a bit rotational and Salah and Diaz are the only 2 guaranteed a start in their front 3. Nunez is too new to be classed as a key player.

Jezpeza

I think they will have a psychological hangover from the league and champions league losses last year. Look at the effects of that Euro final loss on our english players last year - Maguire, Rashford, Shaw, Sancho were all smeg.

They also have no real midfield. A quality, consistent midfield is key to sustained success. Thiago and Keita are always injured, Henderson and Milner are Henderson and Milner and the rest are prospects.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
This is such a myth. That starting line up versus us featured all of their key players bar maybe Fabinho, who is the only one of their centre mids who is key. And he came on later on.

The centre back next to Van Dyke is a bit rotational and Salah and Diaz are the only 2 guaranteed a start in their front 3. Nunez is too new to be classed as a key player.
To be fair their midfield is horrific, they seem to back in the market for some improvement .

That should in theory ameliorate their situation nicely.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
They'll be fine.
Unfortunately Alisson VVD TAA Robertson are all class players.
Their forwards are class too. Losing Mane is tough but they have more than enough options.
Their injuries in midfield will get better soon and they'll go up the table in no time.