How much trouble are Liverpool in?

Real_Knut

Explained

Agreed with all of that one except for one minor thing: TAA's postitioning has always been like this. When the ball is at the opposite wingback (or fullback) he tucks in - that is how Liverpool (and most other pressing teams) do it. You need to compress the team for the pressing to work. The problems arise from the lack of structure and intensity in the team as a whole.

TheReligion

Abusive
Your thread is still wrong though isn't it? It is an utterly ridiculous thread. Oh and "added whinge"? You're the one who got all angry when I queried your bump. I'm just following the rules of this forum.

Double down? Nah I just bit for your pleasure, because that's what you wanted when you quoted me, wasn't it? You're welcome. I suspect you'll now be praying for Liverpool to lose every game now purely so you can continue to quote people on this thread.

Liverpool will do well this season. You've overreacted.
Erm I think it’s definitely thread worthy considering how they are performing and the expectations of them this season.

Not sure how the thread can be ‘wrong’ if I’m honest. It’s a discussion board.

Josep Dowling

Biggest mistake they have made is not strengthening their midfield. Their success came with limited midfielders who worked hard and pressed. Klopp bought in Thiago to give them another dynamic.

But now the Ox and Keita are never fit. Gigi was sold and Milner is too old. They need more pressing and energy in midfield.

justsomebloke

Ranieri winning a PL for Leicester was a bigger achievement than Klopp winning a PL and CL for Liverpool.
Ranieri winning a PL for Leicester was a bigger achievement than anything anyone has done in a single season in the history of the PL. But it still obviously left him with much less of a buffer against sacking than the kind of season-after-season goodness achieved by Klopp, Guardiola, SAF, Wenger.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Explained

Pretty incredible that they’ve dropped from 1st to 11th in final third pressing. It obviously seemed like they were playing with less intensity but it’s hard to believe they could be that much worst for that long a time. I can’t imagine Mane had that much of an effect on his own?

I just had a quick glance and it seems like Diaz presses a similar amount to Mane. Firming started dropping off a couple of seasons ago but is still well above average. Seems like it’s Sarah who’s fallen off a cliff. In the prior three seasons he’d averaged 15, 16 and 17 pressures per game, this season he’s down to 9. Would help explain why they’re finding it easier to get at Alexander Arnold too, especially with Henderson dropping out.

It‘d be great to see Salah fall into a deep decline after that one last big payday. Liverpool haven’t had their fair share of those for a while now.

RoyKeaneSaipan

Supports
Liverpool
It was more a case of city being terrible this evening than Liverpool being good.
City had a perfectly good goal ruled out that would have changed the game

Except their was a clear foul in the buildup. Good one.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Pretty incredible that they’ve dropped from 1st to 11th in final third pressing. It obviously seemed like they were playing with less intensity but it’s hard to believe they could be that much worst for that long a time. I can’t imagine Mane had that much of an effect on his own?

I just had a quick glance and it seems like Diaz presses a similar amount to Mane. Firming started dropping off a couple of seasons ago but is still well above average. Seems like it’s Sarah who’s fallen off a cliff. In the prior three seasons he’d averaged 15, 16 and 17 pressures per game, this season he’s down to 9. Would help explain why they’re finding it easier to get at Alexander Arnold too, especially with Henderson dropping out.

It‘d be great to see Salah fall into a deep decline after that one last big payday. Liverpool haven’t had their fair share of those for a while now.
He’s finally found some form. Which is annoying.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
:lol:

10 points behind City. 14 points behind Arsenal. Yeah, everything going as planned. Good one.
They won't win the league (did many expect them to?) but they aren't in 'trouble'. I expect them to finish comfortably ahead of us.

Liverpool 1:2 Leeds

Dansk

It's starting to look really bad. Top 4 would take a monumental turnaround, and it's hard to see where that's supposed to come from. They need a rebuild, and that'll be so difficult to do without CL football next season, especially when they already can't match the other big clubs financially. They could be in real trouble.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
It's frankly ridiculous to think that they're not in trouble

Chief123

They are in so much trouble that I’ve gone beyond laughing at them. I actually feel sorry for them now. I hate feeling like this though because I just want to keep laughing at them.

AdNani

Id say they're in fairly big trouble.

Van Dijk, Fabinho, Salah, Henderson all seem to have had a dramatic fall in form.

Darwin is nowhere near Mane.

Trent Can't defend consistently, Gomez has a howler in him at any moment.

As a team they've lost the intensity which set them apart.

What a time to be alive.

Amazing Santos

Nunez is an absolute donkey. Klopp knows he done fecked up signing a latino Andy Carroll and not doing anything about their ageing midfield out of stubbornness.

Elcabron

They need major investment and even at that the signings have to be the right ones which as we very well know is not easy to get right.

Are they best to part ways with Klopp at the end of the season and go down the Arsenal/Arteta route? It's starting to feel like the end of the road for Klopp and Pool.

Giggsy13

The squad clearly needed refreshing. The midfield is horrid and not even on level with Newcastle at the moment. Too many miles on their core players. If they want to compete for the league again, they’ll need a £200 million investment into the midfield alone.

BorisManUtd

They are in so much trouble that I’ve gone beyond laughing at them. I actually feel sorry for them now. I hate feeling like this though because I just want to keep laughing at them.
They played a CL final 6 months ago, were as close to winning another league title as it gets and actually won it few years ago (plus won CL year before). I don't think there's a reason to feel sorry for Liverpool, no matter how poor they've played this season. Of course, it's only below 1/3 of the season gone so it's not like everything's lost for them. They've been convincing in CL so far (except for loss vs Napoli).

Steve 007

I think looking at the City game and how they performed last season, it’s hard to believe they are finished yet. They still have a very capable squad. They have been poor and it looks like they’ve Already given up on the league. No one can tell me that the team out today shouldn’t have beaten Leeds. They were poor. They get what they deserve as they are lacking desire and effort. It’s a tired squad. Let’s hope them and Chelsea both continue to underperform and spurs resort to type. 3rd/2nd could be ours if Arsenal blip like they likely will.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Could have a fight on their hand to get in the champions league with Newcastle going so well, plus they will probably strengthen again in January.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Define trouble? They've on paper at least comfortably qualified out of their UCL group and given how shite Chelsea and Spurs look + only 12 games played they're still more than in the mix for a top 4 finish

It's nice to enjoy them dropping points every week but it's still really early into the season

Witchking

What the feck is wrong with United fans feeling sorry for Liverpool. :houllier: :lol:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
They don't have the stamina to perform every time like vs City.

It could cost more than points and more teams this season are being able to win the cups.

Abraxas

They're obviously not a championship winning outfit anymore, but still a dangerous cup side and it's early days to write them off for top 4.

They probably just need a refresh in midfield. A couple of big signings in there would make all the difference.

GMoore23

WTF............ Just keep laughing at them.

Their core players were Mane, Salah, Firmino, Fabinho, Henderson, VVD, the two full backs and Allison.

Mane has gone, Salah is 30, Firmino, Fabinho, Henderson and VVD are on the decline, and the fullbacks can't defend without VVD. They need a whole new team because none of the replacements bar Jota look anywhere near the players they are replacing. Klopp won't stay for that and FSG won't give him the budget anyway.

It's safe to say they'll remain on their 19* titles for a while.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
They built a brilliant team on smart buys and the Coutiniho money. But they haven’t done what you need to to be a real dominant force - strengthen when you’re strong. They’ve lost one of their best players and the core of their team is older. The decline is evident. They can still recover to win something this season, obviously, but the league is already gone.

BorisManUtd

They're 13 points behind City and 15 points behind Arsenal (should Arsenal win tomorrow) so probably have no chances for title anymore but writing them off in top 4 race is stupid. They're more than capable of finishing in top 4.

TheReligion

Abusive
Their core players were Mane, Salah, Firmino, Fabinho, Henderson, VVD, the two full backs and Allison.

Mane has gone, Salah is 30, Firmino, Fabinho, Henderson and VVD are on the decline, and the fullbacks can't defend without VVD. They need a whole new team because none of the replacements bar Jota look anywhere near the players they are replacing. Klopp won't stay for that and FSG won't give him the budget anyway.

It's safe to say they'll remain on their 19* titles for a while.
Salah is 30, VVD and Firmino both 31, Henderson 32 and Fabinho 29. Thiago is 31 (32 in April) whilst Milner is 37 in January.

They’ve all been ran in to the ground with no real long term plan. Keita and Ox are injury prone and they’ve bizarrely spent 100m on Nunez blowing their transfer budget (whilst selling Mane for buttons in the same window)

What are they doing?