How much trouble are Liverpool in?

Wing Attack Plan R

Liverpool's team took a long time to come together. They had several players at their peak, and those players are either gone or simply not the threat they once were (Salah , TAA). I think they were hyped beyond their ability last year, the "almost won the quadruple" bullshit, when in fact they were a good team but not the best in any of the competitions they were in. Liverpool are in as much trouble as any of the other top 6 clubs who will not be challenging City for the title. I expect Arsenal to fall off sometime soon and then places 2-6 will be up for grabs, with Liverpool in one of them.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Disagree, I think they’re right in the mix now with the rest of the teams fighting for top 4. The level has really dropped this year outside of City and, so far, Arsenal. So you have an in form Arsenal, Chelsea, United, Spurs who are deathly boring but will be up there and Pool all going for 3 places.

I reckon United are the weakest team there currently but otherwise it’s a toss up.
I think they'll be pretty comfortable in the end for top 4. I'm not convinced we'll be even in the mix based on performances so they are up against Spurs and Chelsea.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I think they'll be pretty comfortable in the end for top 4. I'm not convinced we'll be even in the mix based on performances so they are up against Spurs and Chelsea.
Chelsea have a completely unproven manager and we were looking very ropey before that.

ChrisNelson

Hmmmm…. Tell that to United fans celebrating the title in 2013.
It depends how you look at it, you could say we were already a bad side... who just happened to have the GOAT manager.

SAF leaving exposed a squad that was far short of our peak in the late 90s, that wasn't even fit to lace the boots of that squad.

While it's nice to see Liverpool struggling, I think they have a better squad than ours of 2013 and they will bounce back.

Skills

Snitch
People forget how much of a carry job Salah did at the start of last season. The rest of the team only get their shit together in the second half of the season.

It was the same the year before. Poor start and then they picked it up after February.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Well if Klopp leaves they’re definitely in deep deep shit.
This is a massive worry, for me anyway. I just don't see another decent manager out there (that will come to us with our budget) or internally that will do a half decent job. We're trying to groom our current number 2, Pep Ljinders, but he scares me too.

I said this last season and I'll say it again: Klopp signing that extension was the biggest victory for me at the time!

Chief123

I thought it was an early season blip and they’d turn it around soon enough. I’m not so sure now. Too many problems that need fixing and fast.

Trent’s weakness is going to be targetted and exposed every game. He’s not going to become a good defender overnight. He’s also their playmaker who has stopped play making. He can barely buy an assist right now.

VVD showing major regression to the point he looks a liability in games now.

Henderson looks like he’s cooked and his decline is a major reason for Trent’s exposure as Hendo did a lot of the dirty work.

Fabinho gone from being the best CDM at one point to not sure what he does anymore. Don’t know what’s happened to this guy.

Nunez looks way out of his depth.

Salah must have used the same agent as Aubamayeng because once he signed the contract he’s become a corner flag.

It will be an amazing season if they are able to get top 4.

Zippycup

This is a massive worry, for me anyway. I just don't see another decent manager out there (that will come to us with our budget) or internally that will do a half decent job. We're trying to groom our current number 2, Pep Ljinders, but he scares me too.

I said this last season and I'll say it again: Klopp signing that extension was the biggest victory for me at the time!
Manager contract extensions mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. The only think it does is guarantee the manager a big pay-day should he get sacked

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Are they in trouble?!
Excellent news. :D

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Manager contract extensions mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. The only think it does is guarantee the manager a big pay-day should he get sacked
Do you honestly think Klopp will face the sack in the next three years? Honestly. Hand on heart.

Chief123

Do you honestly think Klopp will face the sack in the next three years? Honestly. Hand on heart.
Remember when everyone thought Ranieri had a job for life after winning the title for Leicester? Got sacked the next season.

Zippycup

There is no chance. But unlike a players contract. If the manager wants to leave then the club have no choice but to let him go. As I said, all the contract does is guarantee that he gets a big pay-off should he get sacked.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Remember when everyone thought Ranieri had a job for life after winning the title for Leicester? Got sacked the next season.
Ranieri vs Klopp. Just think about what you've typed for a second.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If you finish outside the top 4 this year he'll stay but if he has another poor start in the following season I can see it.

Chief123

Ranieri vs Klopp. Just think about what you've typed for a second.
Your in cuckoo land if you think any manager is untouchable. Yes Klopp is a legend at Liverpool but if things got bad, the board would sack him if they needed to but probably give him the respect of saying it was a mutual agreement.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Too early to write them off for top 4 but they are this close to dropping out the title race.

This is a transitional season for Klopp. Similar to City the year Liverpool won the title. He'll use this season to integrate Nunez and figure out how to evolve the team, then he'll go again

Sack Klopp? For what??

Chief123

I think there would be riots on the streets of Liverpool if he got sacked
I don’t think this is true anymore. There’s a number of Liverpool fans I know who are already saying he’s out of juice and it’s an end of an era. If the current situation continues into next season, there will be plenty more accepting if he was sacked/left.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Now? Yes. If they finish outside the top 4 and start similarly next season too? I don't know. Football fans are fickle.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I think he will leave at the end of the season. City jsut cant be challenged. Whats the point!
He will manage Germany after the world cup is my hunch.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
They just need to stay in touching distance to top four until the World Cup, same as us. I think the season being split into two parts will have an effect, both positive and negative, on a lot of sides.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I would also be amazed if Klopp went anywhere after signing a contract so recently. He loves Liverpool.

kps88

You could have said similar for Fergie and Wenger at one point but things turn quick when the results dry up. Lots of United fans started to doubt SAF during that barren spell that started in 2004.

redcucumber

Too early to write them off for top 4 but they are this close to dropping out the title race.

This is a transitional season for Klopp. Similar to City the year Liverpool won the title. He'll use this season to integrate Nunez and figure out how to evolve the team, then he'll go again

Sack Klopp? For what??
Liverpool don't have the finances to evolve the same way City do. If Nunez is a dud (which is entirely possible), it'd have far reaching consequences whereas we know with City they'd just go out and rectify it the following window/summer. If Liverpool drop off, they put themselves out of the race for the likes of Bellingham. If they miss out on top 4 and have another underwhelming summer, I can see Klopp walking.

Zippycup

You could have said similar for Fergie and Wenger at one point but things turn quick when the results dry up. Lots of United fans started to doubt SAF during that barren spell that started in 2004.
I suppose.
As @SilentWitness said. Football fans are a fickle bunch

Chief123

Even if they do squeeze into top 4 I don’t see what it’ll achieve other than another challenge for top 4 the following season. As defeatist as it may sound City have a base to walk the league for the next few seasons. Especially if they acquire the likes of Bellingham and others in the summer.

Anything other than a close title challenge will be seen as a failure for Klopp on a personal level. He probably doesn’t have the time and definitely won’t be given the resources to rebuild a team to get close to city again.

Whether they scrape into top 4 or not this season, it wouldn’t surprise me if he walked in the summer. Especially if it appears he’ll be given a limited budget to spend. They are not in a position to go and spend their whole budget on one midfielder in Bellingham.

Idxomer

I think Klopp would walk, long before he gets sacked by Liverpool.
Yep, zero chance they would sack him. He needs a Mourinho type meltdown for that to happen and he isn't that character.

Chief123

I’d like us to be in the trouble they are.
Personally I wouldn’t. Klopp is phenomenal but you can only work with what you have. He has the core of his team aging and also has very limited resources.

I’d much rather have ETH who is clearly a talented manager, has the desire and attributes needed and will most likely be given a healthy budget each year to build upon what he wants to achieve.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They will have similar season to 14/15.

They really need to get Jota properly fit, him and Diaz can at least paper over the cracks with goals up to world cup break but they'll just be in top 4 battle this season, would fancy Arsenal and Spurs to be above them.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
They will have similar season to 14/15.

They really need to get Jota properly fit, him and Diaz can at least paper over the cracks with goals up to world cup break but they'll just be in top 4 battle this season, would fancy Arsenal and Spurs to be above them.
Don't think it will be anywhere near as bad as that, they lost 12 games that season, can still see them only losing a maximum of 5 this time round.

redcucumber

Don't think it will be anywhere near as bad as that, they lost 12 games that season, can still see them only losing a maximum of 5 this time round.
They could easily lose their next two, Arsenal and then City.