How much trouble are Liverpool in?

KeanoMagicHat

I would argue their bad season was due to having their whole defence decimated and still playing a high line. Having VVD, Gomez, Matip all out for the season is what cost them. They went through Kabak, Phillips, Williams, Fabinho as centre backs. I think there was one game where it got so bad they played Fabinho and Henderson at CB if I remember correctly.
True, the problem was exacerbated though by playing Fabinho in centre back instead of defensive midfield, they played much better with him protecting rookie defenders than him playing in the place of the rookie defenders and leaving no protection through the middle.

Same way that I suspect our defenders will improve with Casemiro and a better midfield.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
You guys were always signing players who was about to hit their peak - Mane, Salah , Firminho , VVD,Robertson etc. Now the players you have mentioned is small kids who will need many more years to develop. The same mistake which United has been doing (still doing btw) . To me, it's even more riskier . Could go either ways but can't expect an immediate result either.
Don't entirely agree with that. Signings the last two seasons include Konaté, Diaz and Nunez, all guys who should hit their peak soon and were (nearly) as established as the ones you mentioned. Other signings like Fabio Carvalho are mainly as backups for starters and for very small fees (both <€6m) so even if they don't work out, we can sell them with a profit.

Giggsy13

You could well be right. In any case, putting all our eggs in that basket is risky.

Midfield is our number one concern. Defense is sorted and if Nunez finds his feet, so is the attack (although I’d like an additional wide forward).

But there’s no guarantee we’ll even get Bellingham next summer.
If Liverpool have put in the work early for Bellingham, similar to United putting in the work for Sancho the year before signing him, then it might be a lost cause anyways. Curious to see how it goes. Also may have to consider City a threat who might pursue a bellingham deal as a long term successor to KDB…bastards.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
None. They'll be absolutely fine and will walk top 4 this season. Will probably be title contenders too.

dinostar77

They will be fine. They have thiago, nunez and fabinho to come back in, that will make them stronger. I do think they are reaching an end of a cycle with their current squad. Happens to7 squads all the time. Its what made fergie such a trophy machine, knowing when a cycle was ending and planning to freshen up the squad without lowering the performances on the pitch.

Its a WC season, so they could be many shock results throughout the season. I wouldnt be suprised if someone other than City or Liverpool won the title, due to the havoc the december WC will play on fixtures and fitness.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Good thing City didnt win vs Newcastle otherwise could have been 7points behind.
7points behind Arsenal is not the same as 7points behind City

Relfy

Annoyingly, they'll be fine when their injured players come back into their team. They do have a fairly tough run of fixtures over the next couple of months, so they could have some iffy results, but this season will be a bit mad, so I'd expect all teams to have a wobble at some point.

Member 101269

Annoyingly, they'll be fine when their injured players come back into their team. They do have a fairly tough run of fixtures over the next couple of months, so they could have some iffy results, but this season will be a bit mad, so I'd expect all teams to have a wobble at some point.
When? They're overplaying the old players while the younger (middle aged/old) injury prone players are in and out and in the squad. It's not really a recipe for doing well.

Teams have figured out TAA, Robbo looks shattered, VVD isn't the same. All while while Nunez relies on a bad touch.

It's going to be fun to watch :)

FerociousCorgis

idk what the finances say but i always thought liverpool just seemed cheap. like yeah they occasionally would spend big on one player, but always seemed like overall transfer spend was low. Very much unlike what city seem to do where they get the best fitting players in regardless it seems.

RVN1991

They'll probably be too far behind City to make run at the title once they get their full team back but I can see them finishing a distant 2nd or 3rd and make a deep CL run at the end.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Apparently, Fabinho wasn't fully fit.

It will be a very tricky season for them though, as Fabinho, VVD, Salah, Thiago are 31.

The midfield is primarily their issue, all 3 quality midfielders are injury prone. As you said, they would do with a bit of squad depth, but they'll be just fine if they can stay fit.
Fabinho is actually 28 and salah 30.

The Purley King

Liverpool’s style of play for the last 4 years or so has meant central midfield hasn’t been a priority.
It’s always been weak when comparing to the very top sides (RM, City)
without the right assets in wingbacks (taa and Robertson out of form) and players to run in behind (mane) it will be exposed.
They’ll be ok but nowhere near city this season.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The current hype over Arsenal and Spurs could do a complete 180 in a matter of 2 weeks. Both have fragilities that the media are more than willing to overlook because they aren’t that bigger deal, and both have a history of flattering to deceive. Liverpool will finish above both comfortably.

United’s stock is about as low as it was 2 years ago where we ended up finishing above Liverpool, but this time they won’t be as unlucky with injuries. There’s also absolutely no suggestion that Chelsea are going to overtake them, quite the opposite.

Pool will finish top 2 again.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
&quot;like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Interesting stats to put their struggles in perspective:

Liverpool have averaged 17.3 shots per game this season. Only Manchester City, with 18, are averaging more. Liverpool continue to dominate possession, averaging 70% per game. Again only City, with 70.5%, have averaged more. But whereas City have registered more shots on target than any other team and scored the joint-highest number of goals, Liverpool are joint 10th for shots on target with 4.3 per game and 10th for goals scored.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
As a United fan, I have to say, it’s unfair that the FA only make Liverpool have injuries and not any of the other 19 clubs.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
idk what the finances say but i always thought liverpool just seemed cheap. like yeah they occasionally would spend big on one player, but always seemed like overall transfer spend was low. Very much unlike what city seem to do where they get the best fitting players in regardless it seems.
It's worked very well while things have been on the up with players coming in to a positive team. If they carry on like this it might be more difficult for new players to click. Big if though.

I wonder what their finances are like now? Wouldn't have thought they'd have tonnes of money left from winnings/sales? They did manage some bumper sponsors I think.

BorisManUtd

It'll be 7 years in October since Klopp came to Liverpool. Is he currently the longest-serving manager in England? Simeone's been at Atletico for 11 years or so but other than him not many managers out there in Europe's top leagues that have been at 1 club as long as Klopp. Era of Fergusons and Wengers being at club for 20+ years is most probably gone.

Theonas

Scout
I don't think they're in big trouble but I honestly thought even before the season started that there is a big question mark about them. The media always takes whoever did well last year and assume it'll be the same but we see it time and again that teams can lose something. Liverpool's main goalscoring source was their front three and the dynamism that front three had. It was really unique how they assembled such a balanced trio and such a potent trio because none of them were supposed to be world beaters when they bought them. To replicate that with Diaz and Nunez now would be nothing short of extraordinary. I honestly can't remember many teams just changing such a big part of their makeup seamlessly. Nunez has been hyped up but that's mainly because of Haaland. The papers needed a narrative to write about but the truth is that Nunez has shown very little to be considered in that level. Of course he can still be a major success but the point is it's far from obvious, there are lot of question marks around whether Liverpool can find the same amount of goals this season.

TheLord

It depends on how to define "Liverpool trouble" as.
If you believe they're a top midtable team, like they were for the good part of two decades, I think they're perfectly fine. If you think they are one of the two top dogs of the PL (which by the way was an aberration), then they're in real trouble. They'd do well to finish fourth this season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I’d be shocked if they didn’t make top 4. We’re only 3 matches into the season ffs :lol:
Is it your first season?
Crises come and go after a day or 2.
We were in massive crisis before Monday now it's their turn.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Sadly, none at all! There was a lot of talk about us losing the first two games in the first PL season and winning the title. Much more chance of Liverpool winning the title this year than us. I don't call that trouble

Kostov

They are in much less trouble than us IMO. They will be fine once their injured players return and Nunez settles down. Top 4 by the end of the season.

RUUD_10_LEGEND

Not much. You could easily argue they could've won all 3 games so far on different days with a bit of luck (yes, I know, they're not owed any).

I can see them in the title race still, and even if they aren't they'll probably focus on the CL and go and win that.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
whats the craic with Naby Keita?
Wants to leave. Was sick to begin with. Is now injured. Will probably leave on a free next season after yet another season of being mostly unavailable.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Wants to leave. Was sick to begin with. Is now injured. Will probably leave on a free next season after yet another season of being mostly unavailable.
In a period of largely very successful transfers for you, he really sticks out like a sore thumb

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Honestly I have felt that Liverpool have been on a downward trajectory for a while and I think they will be fighting for top 4 this season.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
In a period of largely very successful transfers for you, he really sticks out like a sore thumb
Kinda. Karius only cost 5m but I consider him by far our worst transfer under klopp. The negative impact he had was enormuous. Keita at least has been mitigated the fact that he's been decent enough when fit (he plays the wijnaldum role fairly well) and that we've had good enough midfielders that we aren't crying out for such a player when he is unavaliable.

Keita came with such hype and promise though. He delivers it in glimpses to make you believe if only the stars align, etc. But it's never going to happen for him. At the end of the day, he plays well when things are going well. When the chips are down and you need someone to turn a game, he's the first to fold. And that's besides the injuries.

He comes in at a solid 2nd place for worst transfer with a fair gap to third place.

mshnsh

Once Klopp leaves they are done. The players they have in the midfield even without injuries (Alcantara possibly an exception) are very average. Klopps heavy metal approach has resulted Liverpool in punching way above their weight.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The way I see it, Klopp needs to take his time overcoming his seventh season blip with us while Pep walks the league (but no CL again). And then hopefully Pep walks away. No point us giving our all, finishing on 95 points, only to lose the league by one point again. Feck that.
:lol: Jokes on you guys, I was only pretending to not try in the 2022/23 season

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Honestly I have felt that Liverpool have been on a downward trajectory for a while and I think they will be fighting for top 4 this season.
That's for sure. But also understandable as the players reach their post-peak ages together. We've basically been transitioning and are far from done yet.

As for top 4, a bit early to say. Only two clubs can Spursy up and they're both in North London.