How much trouble are Liverpool in?

crossy1686

career ending
Midfield is aged in a bad way, VVD looks no where near formidable anymore, strikers wouldn't even try to take him on but now they're running at him more and more, they sold the wrong forward in Mane when Salah should have gone instead and they've wasted a daft amount of money on someone who resembles Andy Carroll.

Besides all that, the mental impact giving absolutely everything over two seasons, more than they're realistically capable of, running City close twice and losing on the final day or losing cup big finals, can't be good for them. You need to make big signings when that happens otherwise players lose hope.

largelyworried

Too early to tell, there's kind of mitigating circumstances in all 3 games. Against Fulham they weren't great, but newly promoted teams often get a bounce in their first few games back up. Against Palace they were the better team and could well have won but for an idiotic red card. And against us, well we fought like animals, and even then it was a narrow loss. So I think you can kind of spin it both ways.

But it won't take long for their season to take shape. They have Bournemouth, Newcastle, Everton then Wolves. Then they have Chelsea, Brighton, Arsenal and City. If they struggle to get their form in the next 4 games, then I can see them losing a few against Chelsea, Arsenal and City. At that point they could be in a race for the top 4 and no more.

But if they win the next 4, they go into that tougher run in better spirits, and with many of their injured players back as well. Which is what I reckon will happen.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
hysterical reactions to a sluggish start.

They lost Mane which weakens them and allows the chasing pack to catch up somewhat.
The sheer amount of money in the PL means that the gap between the top 10/12 even top 14 teams is getting smaller.

Fully expect Liverpool to recover and be the nearest challenger to City

demetre

They will be fine. TAA, Robertson and VVD started the season poorly, but they are still World Class players. With Fabinho and Thiago their midfield looks solid and there are a lot of goals in Salah/Diaz/Jota/Nunez.

Robbie Boy

Henderson, Robertson and Salah look absolute shadows of the players they were. Salah will still put up good numbers, but his dribbling ability and ability to run at defenders seems to have deserted him. Henderson has always been a-bit shite, but looks even worse these days, and I'm not sure what Robertson is supposed to be anymore.

Last edited:

Red Star One

If Klopp keeps playing this midfield and if their team is as predictable as they are now, few injuries like now and they're in a relative trouble. Won't be so easy to grab the CL spots this year - title is IMO already out with 2 points from 3 games and knowing it's Pep's City.

bringbackbebe

Nothing yet points to long term structural problems. They have a stable managerial team, penny pinching but stable owners, recent and consistent silverware and ability to attract top talent. They've also had very little miss rate compared to other clubs in the transfer market. The only issue that could start to crack for them is their ageing core players and their over dependence on Mane-Salah-VVD (one down). We won't know this till it's too late, maybe it already is?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
hysterical reactions to a sluggish start.

They lost Mane which weakens them and allows the chasing pack to catch up somewhat.
The sheer amount of money in the PL means that the gap between the top 10/12 even top 14 teams is getting smaller.

Fully expect Liverpool to recover and be the nearest challenger to City
Yea i agree.

fps

Not exclusive to Liverpool, but the big players play so many flipping matches now, with so little rest. I’m sure whether they mean to or not some of them can see how endless this season looks and are easing themselves into it, while others, of course there are tonnes of injuries, players are being played beyond breaking point.

RepardReece

Way too early to draw any conclusions.

Lack of Mane however is proving a big loss already. Always said he was more valuable than Salah in their team.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
The worst case scenario is we just don’t have it anymore. Firminio finished, can’t handle a press, not being able to score anymore, a weak depleted midfield, CBS who can’t partner VVD, and worst of all Klopp not getting through to the players. I reckon if you think the worst the chances of it being true are slim. Bottom line is we need a win and Salah to start scoring. Maybe after yesterdays goal he gets going and all will be right. The next game is crucial.
Salah to start scoring? If he maintains his current rate he will end up on 25 league goals. Which would comfortably be his second best return in the PL. I don’t think his lack of goals is the problem.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
They’re still the best team in the league when everyone is fit. They’re not really forced to integrate Nunez the way City are with Haaland.

They’ll finish second and go on a few 7-8 game winning streaks.

They’ll pick up Bellingham this summer and Nunez will be a roaring success too.

Zero problems at that club if they get a few players fit and address the ageing midfield. Only spot that they need to spend money.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
In Klopp’s seventh season with Dortmund they flirted with the relegation places before they eventually clawed their way back to a seventh place finish. They won just one of six matches against the three best teams in the league.

This is his seventh season at Liverpool and things are not going well so far. To put it mildly.

Is this just a blip and they’ll be neck and neck in a battle for first place again very soon?

Or are in they facing the same grim struggle for European football that Dortmund went through in 2014/15?
They have not added much to their squad or refreshed that squad in the last 3/4 years. If it was any other manager than Klopp, they'd have been in trouble long ago.

romufc

Not exclusive to Liverpool, but the big players play so many flipping matches now, with so little rest. I’m sure whether they mean to or not some of them can see how endless this season looks and are easing themselves into it, while others, of course there are tonnes of injuries, players are being played beyond breaking point.
Oh yes, the classing Injury issues.

So can you tell me if all their players were fit, how many would have started?

Thiago and Matip only.

But aren't Liverpool fans the one I saw saying how good their squad is and they have 2 players in each position?

Chief123

The worst case scenario is we just don’t have it anymore. Firminio finished, can’t handle a press, not being able to score anymore, a weak depleted midfield, CBS who can’t partner VVD, and worst of all Klopp not getting through to the players. I reckon if you think the worst the chances of it being true are slim. Bottom line is we need a win and Salah to start scoring. Maybe after yesterdays goal he gets going and all will be right. The next game is crucial.
I think there was always going to be a point where Klopp could only get so much out of the tools he had to work with. He's done an incredible job last few years but working on limited funds and trying to compete at the top level regularly is always going to be a challenge. For quite a while now, Liverpool have gone through big spells of having a pretty underwhelming midfield on paper. Thiago brought a change to that but with the core of your midfield (best 3) all being on the wrong side of 30, there needs to be some quality youth brought in like Bellingham. Whether Klopp is given the funds to freshen the squad with high quality will remain to be seen.

I also think the way Klopp likes to play with a high line is something that requires high intensity, focus and concentration every minute of every game. Even if one or two players just drop off slightly, it can be fatal in games. The amount of space Liverpool leave in behind gives every opponent a fighting chance. Even a utd side who was rock bottom with zero confidence. One thing forwards absolutely love is space to run and work in. The reason City use a high line so well is because they completely starve the opposition of any possession. If they don't have the ball, they can't hurt you. Liverpool have a different approach which is focused down the flanks. However, Liverpool's style opens them up to the counter attack and easier to counter than City team because if your game is based on getting wide and putting balls in, then you will naturally need to commit bodies forward to get on the end of the play in dangerous areas. That will leave liverpool exposed to counters.

Like I said, Klopps style will always require high levels of focus, concentration and intensity which is what seems to be lacking at the moment.

Zippycup

They don't have the money, or should I say thier owners won't release the money to sort out the issues within the squad.

I've heard people say how bad they were last night, I think they played worse against Fulham and maybe slightly worse against Palace

Chief123

I'm not a Liverpool fan but... I think the most important position in the entire Liverpool team is defensive midfield. Funnily enough Liverpool won the game last night from the point Fabinho was playing. Without that solid base, the centre backs aren't as dominant, the full-backs don't get forward enough or get exposed and the forwards don't get the service, whole system seems to collapse.

Their bad season two seasons ago was caused by having their defence exposed by a weak midfield when Fabinho moved to centre back and they were relying on Thiago and Wijnaldum to do all the defensive work. When Fabinho moved back to defensive midfield, they were fine even with Williams and Phillips as CBs, which shows what a good DM does.

Henderson is declining badly, he used to be able to carry out that role but seems only Fabinho in their squad now can do it.
I would argue their bad season was due to having their whole defence decimated and still playing a high line. Having VVD, Gomez, Matip all out for the season is what cost them. They went through Kabak, Phillips, Williams, Fabinho as centre backs. I think there was one game where it got so bad they played Fabinho and Henderson at CB if I remember correctly.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
I posted a while back that this Liverpool team was an age bomb waiting to go off. This is the oldest squad in the league by average age. So many personnel are 30+. VVD, Henderson, Milner, Thiago, Firminho, Salah, Matip. Its hard to say when a players declines begins, but it defiantly occurs once the player is past 30. The decline might be steep or gradual. However its already began with many in this Liverpool team. The on the other side you have Harvey Elliott and Carvalho who are really young and playing greater roles which bodes well for the future, but not for the present. The balance isnt right in this Liverpool squad

This Liverpool team is coming to the end of a cycle & needs refreshing. They put of the rebuild because they were chasing trophies which is the right thing to do given how strong they were, but football is cyclical and fact is Liverpool are coming to the end of a cycle. I dont think Darwin and Diaz are better than a younger Firminho and Mane. Salah is also getting older....its a logical decline. I also think there is fatigue of having so many near misses. Runners up in the league twice by 1 point, and defeated twice in the CL by Real Madrid. Its got to weigh on the players and Klopp

I think Liverpool and Klopp got a little too comfortable & assumed the gravy train would keep going. it wont. The signs are already there. Not finishing in the top 4 is a real possibility.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

mu4c_20le

They don't have the money, or should I say thier owners won't release the money to sort out the issues within the squad.

I've heard people say how bad they were last night, I think they played worse against Fulham and maybe slightly worse against Palace
Maybe they shouldn't have blown 100m on a striker from benfica then, especially since goal scoring had never been an issue.

diarm

They'll definitely stay up. Silly to suggest otherwise.

FriedClams

Konate and VVD is a good partnership, enables TAA to be exposed a lot less. Thiago cant stay fit, fabinho will get injured again, Keita isnt great.... Yeah, midfield is a huge issue for this team. Nunez will be a failure IMO, so they have to look at this as a transitional season.

fps

Oh yes, the classing Injury issues.

So can you tell me if all their players were fit, how many would have started?

Thiago and Matip only.

But aren't Liverpool fans the one I saw saying how good their squad is and they have 2 players in each position?
I don’t know, it’s more of a general thing bud.

Zippycup

Maybe they shouldn't have blown 100m on a striker from benfica then, especially since goal scoring had never been an issue.
They lost their best player. They needed to replace him.
I think Klopp thought the board may have opened the clubs purse strings a little more.

Saying that, hopefully they don't and they continue to flop

GlasgowCeltic

If they're not going to spend big on a midfielder they might as well buy a fullback and push TAA forward, I don't think waiting for Bellingham is going to go as they think it will

SungSam7

I've been saying it for awhile going back a season or two, Mane was a better player for that team over Salah. They should have been giving Mane that contract extension, fair enough Salah scores some ridiculous goals but Manes work rate was head and shoulders above Salahs.

Not saying Salah isn't a bad player, hes class but he got way too much attention compared to Mane who 9/10 left it all on the pitch. Mane would be happier that the team scored and would look for a possible pass to make it an easy score for someone else even if he had a chance himself. Salah dribbles too much trying to get his chance to score a lot even if there is an easier pass to make leading to a goal. Salah can score a goal out of nothing but forces that too much.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Thiago and Matip only.
+ Jota (Since Nunez is suspended and he had already replaced Firmino in the pecking order pre Diaz arrival).

Keita would have started Infront of Milner if he was fit as would Konate in front of Gomez.

I think United played well and Klopp made mistakes but it's ok to say that Liverpool are currently weaker due to a lot of injuries (and a lack of investment in their midfield recently).

romufc

+ Jota (Since Nunez is suspended and he had already replaced Firmino in the pecking order pre Diaz arrival).

Keita would have started Infront of Milner if he was fit as would Konate in front of Gomez.

I think United played well and Klopp made mistakes but it's ok to say that Liverpool are currently weaker due to a lot of injuries (and a lack of investment in their midfield recently).
Jota could have would have, they started the season with Firminho, who was first choice this season.

Keita / Hendo rotate its not really one that makes that much a difference.

Konate would have started, but so would have Matip.

Also, Nunez is his fault, nothing to do with injuries.

mu4c_20le

They won the title with Gomez/VVD. And Keita is shit.

BarcaSpurs

Firmino needs to be sent to the glue factory and they desperately need a good midfielder that can stay fit. Thiago is world class but starts less than half of Liverpools matches, then you have Keita and Ox who are both injured all the time.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Jota could have would have, they started the season with Firminho, who was first choice this season.
Because Jota has been injured.

Keita rotates with Thiago usually and they are both injured.

And yes Matip usually starts and if he doesn't it's Konate and they were both injured.

Acknowledging their current injuries isn't that big a deal really.

They won the title with Gomez/VVD. And Keita is shit.
Thats years (+ injuries to both) ago though and even then Gomez missed half the season with Matip filling in.

Keita is definitely shit but he's better in every department (except fitness) than a 36 yo James Milner IMO.

Wayne's World

They are really missing a box-to-box midfielder. They seem to have the same type of player in the middle of the pitch but none of them add great creativity or chip in with goals. I'm amazed they haven't went out and just spent the money on Bellingham

They will still finish in the top 4 but don't see them getting near City this season

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
They will make top 4 no problem, they wont fight for the title this season though, they havent recruited well enough.
Team needs players all over the pitch, VVD needs a partner, TAA isnt good enough defensively to help VVD out.

Midfield with Henderson and Milner wont scare many teams. Losing Mane is a massive loss, he pins teams back and works harder than anyone else in the team, Diaz is fantastic but not the same level, yet.