How to get better at breaking down deep sides

spiriticon

-----------Martial----------------
Rashy----Pogback-----James
--------McSauce-----Fredge----
Shaw----Slabhead----Lindelof-----Wall-Bissaka

There's a REDvolution coming peeps. Get your bodies ready.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Recruitment.

We need more players.

This season is just about getting through it and hopefully developing a team spirit and work ethic.

Then we add players that can unpick teams and we boost our lethal counter attack too.

croadyman

Recruitment.

We need more players.

This season is just about getting through it and hopefully developing a team spirit and work ethic.

Then we add players that can unpick teams and we boost our lethal counter attack too.
I was hoping we might add a creative player in the January window even if it was a loan deal,feel it would give us a spark in games where teams don't come out and give us space.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Pogba will make a world of difference. And when we get more reinforcements then we can change games more often with subs.

Dante

Average bang
McTominay and Fred are doing well at what they're good at. They're brilliant at turning midfield into a battleground, which helps us to get an edge over the big 6. But they're not good at dominating the tempo of the game. That's what we miss.

Man-for-man, our defence is one of the very best around. The frontline options will score goals against anyone. I honestly think our options at both ends of the pitch are good enough to challenge for the PL (and hopefully one day the CL) with a bit of luck with injuries. It's the players in between that are the issue.

Pereira lacks the quality but has the workrate. Pogba has the quality but lacks the workrate.

Lingard, McTominay and Fred offer a bit of both, but not to a high enough level for our ambitions. You could maybe accomodate one of them as a water-carrier. But not 2, and certainly not 3... at least not if we want to consistently dominate teams. The likes of Tottenham and City are not the best measuring stick for them as a unit.

Foxbatt

Move the ball a lot more quicker. The chance that Fred created for the Rashford attempt was because the ball was played to Fred very quickly and I think it was a one touch pass to him.
If the ball is moved a lot quicker and players move quicker then defenses will open up.
We have been playing slow football in front on the opposing teams when they defend and that's why we can't open them up.

croadyman

Feel like without Pogba we will struggle to break down teams who sit deep. Personally think signing a creative midfielder is a must in January to take the pressure off him,however doesn't look like Utd see things the same way

Lentwood

I think add Pogba to what we already have and keep key players fit and we're already a top four side

Unfortunately, take Pogba out and lose key players and we're a top ten side!

We obviously need more depth so that when the likes of Martial, Pogba, Rashford and McTom getting injured we're not bringing in the likes of Mata, Pereira and Chong!

OldTrevil

We will not have this issue once Pogba is back, Ole already figured out the front 3 set up, with Martial as the focal point, Rash and James either side. When Tony drops deep, it frees up lanes for James and Rashford to run into. Pogba will do the same for all the forwards and some midfielders occasionally. When you have good footballers in the middle area of the pitch, you can easily break down low blocks by speeding up the passing patterns and the players will create chances. This middle axis will be Fred, Pogba and Martial. McT, Rashford and James will add to Freds energy and hustle around the rest of the pitch, on top of their individual qualities. Rashford is likely to benefit the most out of all this as there will tend be pockets of space created in and around the final third.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
We can bring in all the creative players in the world, but if our front 3 aren't making the right runs off the ball it won't make any difference. We have seen on countless occassions where James gets the ball on the right and whips in a hard pass to nobody. Martial and Rashford need to start busting a gut to get on the end of those. If they can start adding "tap ins" to their CV then there is no reason why they both can't score 25+ goals per season...

AkaAkuma

Playing a 4-4-2 might help, with a player like Dwight McNeil. 4-2-3-1 is too stretched, with the 2 in midfield lacking space and the gap between defence and attack to far for any meaningful passing.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
- Stop allowing our centrebacks to spend 5-10 seconds fecking about every time either of them gets the ball, while the opposition get back into shape and our forwards/midfield get bored of making runs knowing there's no chance of the pass coming.

- Play a striker who will actually stay somehwere vaguely near the goal? I don't know where Martial goes. He crops up on the left, then the right, then in midfield. Not once today for example was he in a position where he was any threat to Everton's goal. If he wants so badly to be a striker he should, you know, play like one.

- Try actually practicing corners so we maybe have a hope in hell of scoring from one. This is particularly helpful in these games where we seme to get about 20 of them a half but it amounts to little more than a form of timewasting.

- Don't wait until the 80th minute to start getting players in the box.

- Maybe learn how not to concede idiotic soft goals every single time so we actually have the whole game to break a team down, rather than it inevitably descending into desperate charging about after 30 minutes when the opposition score because one of our players falls over/daydreams/kicks the ball into their own goal/tackles themselves on the edge of our box.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Will cost a bit. Need a new midfield and full backs.

Pogba will help when coming back, but creativity is a team thing, a team attitude. You can’t put Zidane in a Stoke team and just say ‘create’. I think the most creative sides are constructed with creativity piece by piece. All players have their roles, like defenders must defend etc, but they are chosen based on how they fit a collective ethos. You look at Pep. The goalkeeper is good at stopping goals, but even he has been selected on this basis. The full-backs must be comfortable on the ball, the defensive midfielder must be comfortable on he ball, CMs etc. Same with Barcelona. Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta. Pique behind. Alba coming from one side, Alves from the other. You can’t just say ‘buy Essien and Scott Parker then put Iniesta in front of them and then you have a midfield that can create and defend’. Doesn’t work like that.

I’m not saying Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets is the only midfield, but the point is, even players like Fernandinho, who could easily be a United type of player, can do the defensive bit and the workrate bit while still being able to move symbiotically with his teammates on and off the ball. Our structure is disjointed. McTominay, Fred, Wan-Bissaka, Pogba and Martial do not belong in the same football team. They are all good players, but I don’t think a top team with an identity could possibly have a first XI with the same contradiction of footballers. They don’t have the same operating system or identity. I agree that work rate is important in a team, and not suggesting a lazy team of technique, but the likes of City, Barca etc have always worked, and I think there have been other great teams not as extreme as them with a better balance too.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
- Try actually practicing corners so we maybe have a hope in hell of scoring from one. This is particularly helpful in these games where we seme to get about 20 of them a half but it amounts to little more than a form of timewasting.
Corners are very inefficient in general. Defenses are really good at setting up for such plays nowadays, and it's not like we have players that are great at putting away set piece chances.

We'd be better off playing most corners short.

dove

Know what to do with the ball which unfortunately for us, requires some coaching.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Corners are very inefficient in general. Defenses are really good at setting up for such plays nowadays, and it's not like we have players that are great at putting away set piece chances.

We'd be better off playing most corners short.
Actually having any clue what to do with them at all would be a start. It's a double edged problem. We can't attack from them but we're very good at making games like this more difficult by not being able to defend them either. Even if you take out the Everton goal today, we spent periods of the game under needless pressure because we can't figure out how to defend a corner properly.

It's really baffling how we don't appear to even try to sort this out. This was far from the first game that has been made much more difficult due to it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Movement & quick football. But movement and quick football alone will be pointless against those type of teams without the lack of quality to deliver. We are missing our only and most creative player Pogba and I have to say Bissaka is so bad with his deliver. Let’s hope Bissaka improves his end product and does more overlapping & the comeback of Pogba will improve us massively to unlock it.

He'sRaldo

Will cost a bit. Need a new midfield and full backs.

Pogba will help when coming back, but creativity is a team thing, a team attitude. You can’t put Zidane in a Stoke team and just say ‘create’. I think the most creative sides are constructed with creativity piece by piece. All players have their roles, like defenders must defend etc, but they are chosen based on how they fit a collective ethos. You look at Pep. The goalkeeper is good at stopping goals, but even he has been selected on this basis. The full-backs must be comfortable on the ball, the defensive midfielder must be comfortable on he ball, CMs etc. Same with Barcelona. Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta. Pique behind. Alba coming from one side, Alves from the other. You can’t just say ‘buy Essien and Scott Parker then put Iniesta in front of them and then you have a midfield that can create and defend’. Doesn’t work like that.

I’m not saying Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets is the only midfield, but the point is, even players like Fernandinho, who could easily be a United type of player, can do the defensive bit and the workrate bit while still being able to move symbiotically with his teammates on and off the ball. Our structure is disjointed. McTominay, Fred, Wan-Bissaka, Pogba and Martial do not belong in the same football team. They are all good players, but I don’t think a top team with an identity could possibly have a first XI with the same contradiction of footballers. They don’t have the same operating system or identity. I agree that work rate is important in a team, and not suggesting a lazy team of technique, but the likes of City, Barca etc have always worked, and I think there have been other great teams not as extreme as them with a better balance too.
Very true, which is why I still have time for Mata. I've seen him do so much good stuff with regards to breaking buses this season which absolutely no one else in the midfield has done, not even Pogba (because he's not that type of player).

He may be slow and weak, but we can accommodate him especially if we have 2 other runners in midfield as well as primarily defensive fullbacks. having all that and a primarily defensive no. 10 is the definition of overkill.

When Pogba gets back, I hope he and Mata play as 8/10 hybrids alongside either Scott or Fred. In the tough games, we can have the primarily "running" midfield, but not these types. I get it that fans prefer the passionate physical runner types, but we need these technical types too to break down buses, and Mata is good at that.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
With the squad we have, we could make top 4 but the fullbacks need to contribute alot more than what they've shown so far and it's one of the biggest reasons we struggle to open teams up who defend deep imo. The fullbacks need to be instructed to push forward and create overloads which in turn would open space for our attackers because it would force the opposition to lose their shape. The fullbacks don't need to assist or score goals either for them to be effective. Pogba returning will improve things but if the fullbacks are not providing the options in attack that I believe we're lacking then we will continue to struggle against teams who defend deep.

The role of the fullback is very important in attack and makes a huge difference against teams who concede possession. I personally wouldn't give up on Diogo Dalot just yet either and would hope to see Ethan Laird being introduced in the squad as a back up option. Both youngsters have more potential than either AWB and Shaw going forward and could be key components against the so called cannon fodder.

Sterling Archer

With the squad we have, we could make top 4 but the fullbacks need to contribute alot more than what they've shown so far and it's one of the biggest reasons we struggle to open teams up who defend deep imo. The fullbacks need to be instructed to push forward and create overloads which in turn would open space for our attackers because it would force the opposition to lose their shape. The fullbacks don't need to assist or score goals either for them to be effective. Pogba returning will improve things but if the fullbacks are not providing the options in attack that I believe we're lacking then we will continue to struggle against teams who defend deep.

The role of the fullback is very important in attack and makes a huge difference against teams who concede possession. I personally wouldn't give up on Diogo Dalot just yet either and would hope to see Ethan Laird being introduced in the squad as a back up option. Both youngsters have more potential than either AWB and Shaw going forward and could be key components against the so called cannon fodder.
Said this in the AWB thread, but how hard is it for a fullback to make those runs? It's some of the most basic of football.

We saw Shaw do it now and then today and every time it created an opportunity whether he got the ball or just dragged a defender.

It's the coaching.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's a coaching problem. Of course nobody can turn Lingard into Messi, however we clearly have systematic issued with:

• Our fullbacks to push forward when they should instead staying too deep
  • "*Our players in general struggling to cope with congested spaces due to fear of being unable to find each other instantly, losing the ball due to a bad touch etc This results in us passing around teams rather than through them - our biggest tactical issue
  • Our players not being where they should be. Top teams always have two good passing options at all times. We usually have only one which makes us predictable. For example I don't know why we never try shortening the spaces between our players. I know that's possession football but worth trying if we can't find our man. So many times I see us and the man on the ball has 4 attackers stuck inside a well of defenders for no apparent reason
  • Player/team improvement - when your individuals don't improve as they should and the collective doesn't improve as it should it leads to an all round lack of threat
But I'd say our biggest issue is number 2 and has been for years. Manchester United cannot deal with tight spaces. We always need space. We always rely on pace and individual brilliance. Until we modernise we will go nowhere. Sadly we don't have the manager to do it either.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Said this in the AWB thread, but how hard is it for a fullback to make those runs? It's some of the most basic of football.

We saw Shaw do it now and then today and every time it created an opportunity whether he got the ball or just dragged a defender.

It's the coaching.
Wan Bissaka took positions up in midfield at times yesterday to receive the ball which I was perplexed by and couldn't believe what I was seeing. We have very poor attacking fullbacks from the evidence at hand and i'm not sure why it's difficult to not understand the concept of what a fullbacks requirement is when we have the ball.

Shaw was slightly better in that regard but i've said it for a long time now, our fullbacks need to give much more in attack and i'm not sure if it's the coaching or the players.

And unless the situation improves regarding the fullback roles then improving anything else in the the squad would still see us struggle against teams who sit back.

Listar

- Stop allowing our centrebacks to spend 5-10 seconds fecking about every time either of them gets the ball, while the opposition get back into shape and our forwards/midfield get bored of making runs knowing there's no chance of the pass coming.

- Play a striker who will actually stay somehwere vaguely near the goal? I don't know where Martial goes. He crops up on the left, then the right, then in midfield. Not once today for example was he in a position where he was any threat to Everton's goal. If he wants so badly to be a striker he should, you know, play like one.

- Maybe learn how not to concede idiotic soft goals every single time so we actually have the whole game to break a team down, rather than it inevitably descending into desperate charging about after 30 minutes when the opposition score because one of our players falls over/daydreams/kicks the ball into their own goal/tackles themselves on the edge of our box.
Wow all these points were exactly what I’m thinking. I feel we can get these corrected easier than arsenal can correct theirs.

Sterling Archer

Wan Bissaka took positions up in midfield at times yesterday to receive the ball which I was perplexed by and couldn't believe what I was seeing. We have very poor attacking fullbacks from the evidence at hand and i'm not sure why it's difficult to not understand the concept of what a fullbacks requirement is when we have the ball.

Shaw was slightly better in that regard but i've said it for a long time now, our fullbacks need to give much more in attack and i'm not sure if it's the coaching or the players.

And unless the situation improves regarding the fullback roles then improving anything else in the the squad would still see us struggle against teams who sit back.
Indeed, very perplexing.

As for the coaching versus the players, let me clarify: i don't mean that this quad of professional players turned manager-coaches doesn't know how to do this. It's more about their ability to effectively get their players to do it. That's the difference between a manager that read Guardiolas books, watches loads of tapes and has this phenomenal vision for how to make it happen versus one that just gets it done without all the hype talk.

So we take this example - player positioning and runs. Our fullbacks aren't doing it well enough or frequently enough in the attacking third. Our strikers too are not making their due diligence runs that should have brought us another four or five goals from Dan James alone.

I say with impunity that's fecking terrible coaching. Not because the staff don't know what to do. But because they can't get it to happen with consistency on the field. And it's basics. And it has been a full preseason and a year. Not asking for Guardiola level overdoing it. Just some bloody basics you see in every level of football.

And that's a huge worry.

SambaBoy

Need someone else who can play between the lines. A #10 who can also function as an 8 would be ideal, and hopefully we can address that issue in January. We should have went all out for Bruno or Dybala in the summer. Fred and McTominay are industrious and keep things ticking over, but they are not creative enough and it shows in the sort of games where we struggle to break teams down.

Pereira, Lingard and Mata are not good enough. They all have big faults in their games and are nowhere near consistent enough to start on a regular basis. Going forward, whilst Pogba is out, I would play Greenwood, Rashford, James and Martial as a front four. Martial and Greenwood can interchange from #9 and #10, Rashford and James out wide. We have to risk getting overrun in the middle with just Fred and McTominay to get results.

Pogba returning will be a massive plus too, we have missed his creativity and he would be perfect for the likes of Rashford and James on the counter. I have a feeling we won't see much of him however from now till the end of the season and I suspect he will leave then.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Indeed, very perplexing.

As for the coaching versus the players, let me clarify: i don't mean that this quad of professional players turned manager-coaches doesn't know how to do this. It's more about their ability to effectively get their players to do it. That's the difference between a manager that read Guardiolas books, watches loads of tapes and has this phenomenal vision for how to make it happen versus one that just gets it done without all the hype talk.

So we take this example - player positioning and runs. Our fullbacks aren't doing it well enough or frequently enough in the attacking third. Our strikers too are not making their due diligence runs that should have brought us another four or five goals from Dan James alone.

I say with impunity that's fecking terrible coaching. Not because the staff don't know what to do. But because they can't get it to happen with consistency on the field. And it's basics. And it has been a full preseason and a year. Not asking for Guardiola level overdoing it. Just some bloody basics you see in every level of football.

And that's a huge worry.
Without upsetting anyone your point about the coaching is very valid from what we've seen thus far imo. I can't for the life of me believe AWB would take positions up in midfield when receiving the ball unless intructed to do so.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

Actually having any clue what to do with them at all would be a start. It's a double edged problem. We can't attack from them but we're very good at making games like this more difficult by not being able to defend them either. Even if you take out the Everton goal today, we spent periods of the game under needless pressure because we can't figure out how to defend a corner properly.

It's really baffling how we don't appear to even try to sort this out. This was far from the first game that has been made much more difficult due to it.

It's the coaching.
It's a coaching problem. Of course nobody can turn Lingard into Messi, however we clearly have systematic issued with:

• Our fullbacks to push forward when they should instead staying too deep
  • "*Our players in general struggling to cope with congested spaces due to fear of being unable to find each other instantly, losing the ball due to a bad touch etc This results in us passing around teams rather than through them - our biggest tactical issue
  • Our players not being where they should be. Top teams always have two good passing options at all times. We usually have only one which makes us predictable. For example I don't know why we never try shortening the spaces between our players. I know that's possession football but worth trying if we can't find our man. So many times I see us and the man on the ball has 4 attackers stuck inside a well of defenders for no apparent reason
  • Player/team improvement - when your individuals don't improve as they should and the collective doesn't improve as it should it leads to an all round lack of threat
But I'd say our biggest issue is number 2 and has been for years. Manchester United cannot deal with tight spaces. We always need space. We always rely on pace and individual brilliance. Until we modernise we will go nowhere. Sadly we don't have the manager to do it either.
Indeed, very perplexing.

And that's a huge worry.
Very good observations!
This is why it’s easy to have reservations about Ole as our long term solution.

Sterling Archer

Without upsetting anyone your point about the coaching is very valid from what we've seen thus far imo. I can't for the life of me believe AWB would take positions up in midfield when receiving the ball unless intructed to do so.
Didn't watch CP enough but was that a common place thing for AWB then? If not, you have to imagine he was instructed.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We need fullbacks to provide more in attacking, making overlapping runs, dummy runs to pull the defenders and help the player in possession. One of the biggest aspect where we lack is one touch football. Our players take way too many touches to release the ball, we will always struggle to open up defenses playing like that. We need at least a proper 10 who can help in one touch passing and even shoot from distance.

I think biggest of them all is coaching, where players are instructed to overload the wings or commit many players inthe box, make late runs. Something we really lack.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Didn't watch CP enough but was that a common place thing for AWB then? If not, you have to imagine he was instructed.
Palace fans did say he wasn't very good in a attacking sense, but I rarely watched him at Palace.

I didn't want us to sign him due to having Ethan Laird and Dalot who could've more than held their own in the current season with Ashley Young. Aarons at Norwich was my preference if I had to choose due to his attacking capabilities which would've been beneficial to our attack especially against the teams we're expected to beat. Unpopular opinion but I believe we would have more points with Aarons in our team in comparison to AWB and he was reported to be available for £20m. Leftback was a position I would've upgraded if given the choice and for £50m AWB isn't a good signing for the reasons mentioned. Maguire was even worse for £80m.

But having said that I'm very hopeful Ethan Laird will solve our RB issues against teams who defend deep in the not too distant future. I'm also hoping we sign a good allround LB before long.

mattunited1978

doommonger
We just havnt got the players, a midfield 2 of Fred and Mctominay with Lingard, Mata or Peirera infront of them just lacks the ability in possesion. Its why im willing to reserve jugment on Ole until he gets the next 2 transfer windows and we get Pogba/ Pogba replacement in the lineup. For all the stick Pogba gets, im confident we'd have won yesterday and against Villa if he was playing

Hammondo

We need better movement up front, that is where creativity starts.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Movement first.
Is our movement easily shackled upfront due to the over bearing opposition numbers and our fullbacks inability to provide width, overlaps, which would open space and pull opposing players out of position which would also give our forwards extra passing options?

Fosu-Mens

Movement first.
I think it would be more logical to have players that are actually able to pass and receive the ball. Even though this can to some extent be trained, it would be hoping for a Christmas miracle that the likes of Fred, McT, James, Shaw and AWB would ever reach the quality on the ball necessary to play the type of football needed to break down a compact defence.

While there are different variations on how to do this, it all relies on the ability and consistency in passing and receiving the ball. While City got a more systematic approach to this compared to Liverpool, they are both able to be successful because they know that their players seldom make simple mistakes with the ball and thus does not allow for counter-attacking opportunities against. If we tried to play this way, we would lose the ball a high number of times during a match.

To make this even more specific on what is most fundamental and important:
Can you coach/drill a player or a team into specific movement patterns or positioning over a relatively short amount of time? YES.
Can you drastically improve a players consistency, efficiency and ability when passing and receiving the ball over a short amount of time? No. Over a season? No. Over 3 seasons? Maybe.

Hammondo

I think it would be more logical to have players that are actually able to pass and receive the ball. Even though this can to some extent be trained, it would be hoping for a Christmas miracle that the likes of Fred, McT, James, Shaw and AWB would ever reach the quality on the ball necessary to play the type of football needed to break down a compact defence.

While there are different variations on how to do this, it all relies on the ability and consistency in passing and receiving the ball. While City got a more systematic approach to this compared to Liverpool, they are both able to be successful because they know that their players seldom make simple mistakes with the ball and thus does not allow for counter-attacking opportunities against. If we tried to play this way, we would lose the ball a high number of times during a match.

To make this even more specific on what is most fundamental and important:
Can you coach/drill a player or a team into specific movement patterns or positioning over a relatively short amount of time? YES.
Can you drastically improve a players consistency, efficiency and ability when passing and receiving the ball over a short amount of time? No. Over a season? No. Over 3 seasons? Maybe.
When Barcelona was dominating the majority of their goals came from short simple passing. You do not need to do difficult passes.