How will Rangnick line up?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He prefer a high line with fast ballplaying CBs and good offensive fullbacks. Im pretty sure he will want to strenghten the RB, CB, and CM positions. A new striker (maybe false 9?) will also be a priority in a year or so.

For now: 4222

De Gea
Dallot - Varane - Lindelof - Shaw
Donny - Fred
Bruno - Sancho
Rashford - Ronaldo
He's an interim. I think we'll only do an opportunity signing if it arises. Hopefully a DM.

Dazzmondo

Van de Beek's best season for Ajax was as a No.10, so, naturally, Rangnick is going to play him in a double pivot and mold him into the next Pirlo. Or do you guys see him as the next N'Golo Kante?
VDB has played well as a number 8 for Ajax also. He just had an excellent performance in the double pivot against Watford and proceeded to drop a poor performance against Villarreal as a number 10. In general he hasn't looked good for us when he's played as a number 10, mainly because we didn't get the ball high enough up the pitch for him to affect the game there. He's also the best player we have at receiving the ball from the defence and progressing it up the pitch, which in general we've been terrible at all season as both Fred and especially McT allow their passing lanes to be easily blocked off by opposition players, which is largely why we've been incapable to progress the ball through the centre. In this system he would be playing beside Fred also who is fantastic at pressing and winning the ball back. I don't see it being a problem.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
He's an interim. I think we'll only do an opportunity signing if it arises. Hopefully a DM.
Interim with at least two more years up stairs., so im taking about his whole period here. He will be very influensial in our transfer strategy for year to come.

Why is Rangnick going to force Dalot to change the way he spells his own name?

Great, you spotted a simple spelling mistake. Good for you.

Last edited:

Long Time Red

He prefer a high line with fast ballplaying CBs and good offensive fullbacks. Im pretty sure he will want to strenghten the RB, CB, and CM positions. A new striker (maybe false 9?) will also be a priority in a year or so.

De Gea
Donny - Fred
Bruno - Sancho
Rashford - Ronaldo
If Rangnick can turn Dalot into a decent defender then he deserves a statue outside Old Trafford.

Dalot's performance against Villareal in the home game was the worst defensive performance I've ever seen in a United shirt by a defender, ever. He was repeatedly skinned by a player who played in the Championship last season. It would be an incredible turnaround as he was ripped to shreds and looked like he had no clue whatsoever.

Wan-Bissaka by comparison has pocketed nearly every top left winger in the last few years and hopefully with some proper coaching can really kick on and excel now.

I think there will be times when it's 4-2-2-2 but initially I expect it to be 4-3-3 given there isn't much time to work with the players between now and Christmas and 4-3-3 would be closer to the players are used to. My hope is that he initially goes with this with Pogba and Varane to come back in for VDB and Lindelof when fit:

De Gea
Wan-Bissaka - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw
Fred
Van De Beek - Bruno
Sancho - Ronaldo - Rashford​

KingCavani

I’d have had hope for Dalot under Conte. Unless we switch to a back three I just don’t see how you salvage him.

I don’t know what to make of AWB myself so no idea what Ralf will do. He seems to combine some genuinely world class qualities with League One deficiencies.

the_cliff

Tbh it's too early to say, but I'm fairly confident Fred, Rashford, Sancho, Lingard and DVB will benefit the most. I don't think he'd drop Ronaldo though as he did accommodate Raul with Schalke who at the time was a lot less physically capable than Ronaldo is now.

the_cliff

I don't think Beek is such a given under Ralph.
It depends on what he uses, but I just think DVB has the qualities that Ralf will like in a midfielder. Over his time at Hoffenheim and Leipzig he's played:
4-3-3
4-2-2-2
4-4-2 Diamond
3-5-2

4-3-3 and 3-5-2 would definitely suit DVB.

Abraxas

Difficult to say. If he's as much of a pressing adherent as we are led to believe then he has either got a massive job on his hands to rework some of our lethargic forwards into completely different beasts, or he'll have to compromise his style, or drop some big names.

At this moment in time it's hard to see Ronaldo, Rashford and Greenwood playing like that, because they've never done it. That said, I really do think the latter two should be capable.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Difficult to say. If he's as much of a pressing adherent as we are led to believe then he has either got a massive job on his hands to rework some of our lethargic forwards into completely different beasts, or he'll have to compromise his style, or drop some big names.

At this moment in time it's hard to see Ronaldo, Rashford and Greenwood playing like that, because they've never done it. That said, I really do think the latter two should be capable.
Of course they’re capable and it’ll become quickly apparent how good these players can be with a clear plan, every single game. Liverpool looked like a different team overnight when Klopp came in and those players were largely average.

Abraxas

Of course they’re capable and it’ll become quickly apparent how good these players can be with a clear plan, every single game. Liverpool looked like a different team overnight when Klopp came in and those players were largely average.
It's still something we've never seen so there is a degree of uncertainty around these names until they show the tactical and physical capacity to do it. It's not automatic that it's going to be an easy process and he's going to have to get it across pretty quickly. It's going to be interesting.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It's still something we've never seen so there is a degree of uncertainty around these names until they show the tactical and physical capacity to do it. It's not automatic that it's going to be an easy process and he's going to have to get it across pretty quickly. It's going to be interesting.
People have to be prepared for favourites being casualties etc. We need to give this project a proper go.

NoPace

De Gea
Donny - Fred
Bruno - Sancho
Rashford - Ronaldo
This would be my guess, though I wouldn't rule out Sancho up top instead of Rashford and Lingard next to Bruno for a bit of extra effort and link play.

Kaos

I don't think Beek is such a given under Ralph.
Who would play ahead of him (assuming Fred is a given which we all seem fairly confident of)? McTominay? I don't see Ragnick being a big fan considering his tendency to hide. Matic? Not expected to play consistently. Pogba? Probably the least Ragnick-archetype of player in the squad after Martial (and Ronaldo).

stoinz

It's more of a hope than an educated prediction as I do not know his style too well
De Gea
Dalot - Lindelof - Varane - Shaw
Fred
Van De Beek - Bruno
Sancho - Ronaldo - Greenwood (rotate with Rashford)

Think this will be the most balanced blend of technical, graft, direct and trickery that we can put out.

Newtonius

It's more of a hope than an educated prediction as I do not know his style too well
De Gea
Dalot - Lindelof - Varane - Shaw
Fred
Van De Beek - Bruno
Sancho - Ronaldo - Greenwood (rotate with Rashford)

Think this will be the most balanced blend of technical, graft, direct and trickery that we can put out.
Exactly what i want/have wanted to see as well this could be a baller team in 6 months, may even have Cavani in for Ronaldo.

Honestly though don't really care who plays just want to see the 4-3-3 come back, played it while Ole was a caretaker to some great success (with Pogba as the main man) and then that dreadful 4-2-3-1 came in as soon as he was full time (with Lingard/Pereira as the main man for a chunk of it),

Udmaster

De Gea

AWB Bailly Varane Shaw

Fred

Van de beek. Bruno

Sancho. Ronaldo. Rashford

Because of the single pivot, he will prefer a high pressing style inorder to cover the midfield lack of steel

Teja

Should fit the current squad a bit better than someone prefering positional possession play like ten Hag does.
Do you think there's a natural transition from the German style of play to a more technical, positional possession play? i.e., is there a reasonable way for us to go from Ragnick to Ten Hag?

Given we're so bad at pressing in general I assume Ragnick could lay the groundwork and teach some of the players the basics (cover shadows, synchronized movements, basic pressing traps etc) but I wonder if there are synergies deeper than that.

My impression of Ragnick's brand of football is that he plays energetic, physical players and has them punch above their weight. Physical over technical if you must. Given United are almost at the top of the football food chain, there's no real necessity for this IMO. WDYT?

LoneStar

That’s what we were trying at times on Tuesday and it’s what led to Ronaldo’s goal. We were quite clearly marking passing lanes rather than chasing the men, like we were under Ole. McTominay, for the abuse he got, was directing VDB and Sancho when to press and when to stay a lot. I think people might be surprised by how he is used going forward.

I said in the match thread at the time that Villarreal were really taking their time choosing their passes out of defence, it was night and day to the first leg at OT. But people were obviously just crying about the fact we didn’t have much possession.
Yeah, and I think that’s the smart way of playing the pressing system with Ronaldo. Also, Ronaldo is pretty good at those quick one touch passes, which we would need from all our players.

The issue with McTominay is his passing ability. Looks like Rangnick prefers forward passing players. He would have to up his game massively to do that.

Daengophile

We're gonna have to learn to spell Rangnick's name correctly.

Threads such as this have completely butchered it and left out half of the letters whilst others appear to be suggesting that he steals sanitary towels

NoPace

I think it raises the odds of Rashford being used as an Aubemayang style #9 in the future. Maybe a front 3 of Sancho-Rashford-Diallo.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think it raises the odds of Rashford being used as an Aubemayang style #9 in the future. Maybe a front 3 of Sancho-Rashford-Diallo.
Apparently he plays with two forwards.

I see this

Rashford/R7 - Greenwood/Amad
<-Sancho->
Bruno - VDB
CDM

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
hes got 6 months, I dont think thats enough time to implement all his ideas, then another new manager coming in with new ideas again and changing how we train and play. Im happy we are getting Ralf but unless whoever suceeds him has a very similar philosophy its going to be a very difficult and confusing time for the players, lets face it half the squad are confused enough as it is wondering how they have played week in week out for united.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Do you think there's a natural transition from the German style of play to a more technical, positional possession play? i.e., is there a reasonable way for us to go from Ragnick to Ten Hag?

Given we're so bad at pressing in general I assume Ragnick could lay the groundwork and teach some of the players the basics (cover shadows, synchronized movements, basic pressing traps etc) but I wonder if there are synergies deeper than that.

My impression of Ragnick's brand of football is that he plays energetic, physical players and has them punch above their weight. Physical over technical if you must. Given United are almost at the top of the football food chain, there's no real necessity for this IMO. WDYT?
I think so, yes. Leipzig went from Rangnick to Nagelsmann, who also focuses more on possession play and it worked well for them.

As you say Rangnick can do the basics to get some organisation into this team and his successor can add another aspect to the team.

And I wouldnot necessarily say that he prefers very physical players, more intelligent (or maybe better call it willing to learn) ones as the most important point. Yes there is a certain physical aspect, but he could always use technical players in his teams.

CR1

----------Ronaldo Cavani-------
Fernandes --------------Sancho
--------------Fred Vdb-------------
Shaw Maguire Varane Awb
-----------------Ddg-----------------

Rashford and Greenwood will generally be the first subs to be brought on but will also get a lot of starts on account of Cavani not always playing. He may use Ronaldo slightly less than Ole did, but he will still have him in the first eleven.

Mctominay and to a slightly lesser degree Matic will rotate with Fred and Vdb. I could see a role for Lingard as well, on account of his pressing and work rate ability.

Elanga and Mejbri could get some playing time in December and then perhaps go out on loan together with Amad - or stay, depending on circumstances. Elanga can play in four positions in this formation, Mejbri in three, Amad in one.

Martial and Pogba and a few others I think could be sold actually.

Overall I think we will see more rotation due to the higher pressing demands. The forwards in particular will be subbed often in order to be kept fresh.

Obviously in defense you have the obvious back-up options except for RB where I think there will be a new signing.

No new midfield signings right now because the club will wait on Rice and also because there will a renewed importance for Fred in particular, but also Vdb and Mctominay.

This is all (educated) speculation of course.

Last edited:

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Rolo in net, Floki on the wing, Bjorn Ironside up top
The fact you play him anywhere except on the wing is a criminal offence, tbh.
See I thought Bjorn would be a CB - the wall, immovable object etc.

Harald up front, he has the ego you need to succeed as a striker. Maybe Halfdan on one of the wings - I reckon they would link up well.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I've seen quite a number of Fred-VdB double pivot. During Ole's tenure, all I heard was how this double pivot will be ran through easily

Ludens the Red

Rolo in net, Floki on the wing, Bjorn Ironside up top
See I thought Bjorn would be a CB - the wall, immovable object etc.

Harald up front, he has the ego you need to succeed as a striker. Maybe Halfdan on one of the wings - I reckon they would link up well.
No mention of Lagertha. Disgrace. Typical United fans, no idea you need a shield in midfield.

Bestietom

But it did take time for Liverpool to adapt to Klopp's way. When they brought in van Dyke and the goalkeeper they were much better.
De Gea will have to become a sweeper keeper and Maguire will need a propeller up his arse.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Not sure what his preferred formation is but I've gone 4-3-3:

----Rashford-----Ronaldo-----Sancho---
--------VDB---------Fred-------Bruno---------
Shaw----Maguire-----Varane------AWB
------------------------DDG-------------------------

If he plays with 2 forwards then 4-2-2-2:

------------Ronaldo-----Cavani---------------
--------Bruno----------------Sancho----------
---------------Fred-------VDB--------------------
Shaw----Maguire-----Varane------AWB
------------------------DDG-------------------------

Siorac

We're gonna have to learn to spell Rangnick's name correctly.

Threads such as this have completely butchered it and left out half of the letters whilst others appear to be suggesting that he steals sanitary towels
After years of seeing Janujaz, Bailey, McGuire, and similar spellings, I think our best chance is settling on calling him Ralf.