How will you remember Pogba's time at United?

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
Deschamps saved Pogba's career.
It's a shame that the best french player of his generation never found a way to lift his club.
I feel that he always wanted to be trusted as a leader, but was never able to convince Ole and Rangnick to do it.
Case in point was his interview after the Spurs game last season. He was all "it's unacceptable, we have to take a look at ourselves and come back stronger if we want to win something this season" but was benched for the next games.

Canagel

Deschamps saved Pogba's career.
It's a shame that the best french player of his generation never found a way to lift his club.
I feel that he always wanted to be trusted as a leader, but was never able to convince Ole and Rangnick to do it.
Case in point was his interview after the Spurs game last season. He was all "it's unacceptable, we have to take a look at ourselves and come back stronger if we want to win something this season" but was benched for the next games.
This is exactly what he meant when he said he doesnt have a role here. A lot of people thought he was just talking about his position on the field but I have always thought that his position in the Man Utd hierarchy/dressing room was a bigger issue from his perspective.

The Captaincy was given to him once and then he was stripped of it immediately. He was never in contention for it again. He was consistently benched by Ole, is still consistently subbed before the end of 90 in games by Rangnick and was also dropped more than once by Mourinho in big CL games too. He has never had a say in anything on or off the pitch. Never allowed to take free kicks for example despite being an adept free kick taker.. the list goes on.

Pogba has little power in the dressing room here whereas Deschamps and France put him in a position of leadership and in turn he provides his best performances for them. Its a two way street. He isn't benched, he isnt subbed before the end of 90 for no reason. He is even consulted on tactics. For example I read somewhere that the move to 3 at the back by France was allegedly his idea and was then implemented by the manager. He knows that he is one of the main untouchables and it shows in his commitment and performance level. Some people thrive when they are trusted and put in positions of power, for the fans it might be trivial but managing the ego of the players is one of the most important things in football.

In short giving Pogba the keys is a proven blueprint for success. France gave him those keys and reaped the rewards from it. Manchester United didn't. They gave the keys to players like Bruno instead and look where we are now? Out of every cup, no CL next season, toxic dressing room. It's our own fault tbh.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How will I remember his time here? At times, hugely entertaining as he was one of the names I'd look forward to watching in the initial parts of his United career but ultimately, disappointing as he's proven to be a poor fit for this Manchester United team and to an extent the high intensity league too. No hard feelings but it is a shame that one feels so indifferent towards a player that should have had a bigger impact/ legacy.

From his perspective it's been a disastrous move to a dysfunctional team and club. As someone analyzing his performances I'd say that his A) suspect decision making in congested games and B) physical sluggishness / poor defensive output, mean that he was never the player people expected him to be when he was 21/22. In the end you need to have a robust engine and a quick mind in the modern game. Pogba needs others to make up for his flaws in this regard.

jackal&hyde

Very talented player; very disappointing for the price; very good on relatively few occasions compared to the bad; had an awful team around him; had a terrible agent that I hope we never do business with again.

RedAlert27

Inconsistent. As much as he was capable of producing a moment of brilliance he was just as capable of being at fault for a goal. Think the France v Switzerland game in the last euros summed him up perfectly, scores a screamer to send France 3-1 up, then last minute gives a simple pass away, Switzerland equalise... France end up getting knocked out. He's the most frustrating player I've ever seen in a United shirt. His lack of work rate, poor decision making, and loss of possession isn't worth putting up for the odd moment of brilliance.

redmanx

I will remember him as lazy, uninterested in the team , too fecking interested in his haircut, his fecking agent !!!
A complete and utter waste of our time and money, a disgrace to the fans and the club.
My thoughts exactly, a legend in his own haircut time.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
After recent incident I will always remember him as a player whose agent was falsely reported died when he's still alive, kicking and angry.

OverratedOpinion

His debut was the second best game he ever had for us. It was against Southampton and it just looked like he could choose anytime he wanted to run through/over an entire team. God that was bloody exciting.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
A letdown, but contrary to popular belief I think he's had many good games for United and has had some decent runs. He's obviously been nowhere near good enough for a significant amount of time to categorize him as a success, but I wouldn't rank up there with Di Maria or even Maguire, quite frankly.

But ultimately, his story is exactly the same as every other player who's joined this club post-Fergie. It may not be a popular thing to say, but it's not all his fault. This club has been a fecking disaster when it comes to improving players and bringing them on. It's the same old story year after year. A player comes in, sometimes they're shit from the get-go, but sometimes they're actually quite good. But then, the decline. I think it has literally happened with every player who's come here, so the fault doesn't lie solely with Pogba. United play a big part in his "failure".

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
This is exactly what he meant when he said he doesnt have a role here. A lot of people thought he was just talking about his position on the field but I have always thought that his position in the Man Utd hierarchy/dressing room was a bigger issue from his perspective.

The Captaincy was given to him once and then he was stripped of it immediately. He was never in contention for it again. He was consistently benched by Ole, is still consistently subbed before the end of 90 in games by Rangnick and was also dropped more than once by Mourinho in big CL games too. He has never had a say in anything on or off the pitch. Never allowed to take free kicks for example despite being an adept free kick taker.. the list goes on.

Pogba has little power in the dressing room here whereas Deschamps and France put him in a position of leadership and in turn he provides his best performances for them. Its a two way street. He isn't benched, he isnt subbed before the end of 90 for no reason. He is even consulted on tactics. For example I read somewhere that the move to 3 at the back by France was allegedly his idea and was then implemented by the manager. He knows that he is one of the main untouchables and it shows in his commitment and performance level. Some people thrive when they are trusted and put in positions of power, for the fans it might be trivial but managing the ego of the players is one of the most important things in football.

In short giving Pogba the keys is a proven blueprint for success. France gave him those keys and reaped the rewards from it. Manchester United didn't. They gave the keys to players like Bruno instead and look where we are now? Out of every cup, no CL next season, toxic dressing room. It's our own fault tbh.
What an absolute load of shit.

leadership is not just given to people. It’s earned.

Paul is also subbed before 90 mins because he’s blowing his arse after 60.

As for your final comments, players like Bruno were brought in because Pogba failed to deliver. Bruno despite an average season has delivered more than Pogba has In his time here and one has been been here for 3 years more.

Martial

One of the most delusional posts I've ever seen on this forum.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

:lol:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
What an absolute load of shit.

leadership is not just given to people. It’s earned.

Paul is also subbed before 90 mins because he’s blowing his arse after 60.

As for your final comments, players like Bruno were brought in because Pogba failed to deliver. Bruno despite an average season has delivered more than Pogba has In his time here and one has been been here for 3 years more.
Bruno doesn’t play the position Pogba was playing in? Lingard and Pereira were playing there while Pogba was deeper, as was most often the case. Players like Bruno were brought in to improve the team, which is normal and always necessary particularly when the team isn’t good enough.

What exactly has Bruno delivered? Personal stats aside….We’ve won nothing and regressed as a team since his debut three months to the point we are at now. Performance wise, what big games has he delivered in? What big moments has he had? from that initial 6 months we’ve seen his own performances drop. The last 18 months have seen largely poor performances consistently.

Pogba has been judged on a different scale, in my opinion, if you look through the performance threads game by game he has had far more good games, far more regularly, than people care to remember/ admit. There’s this myth that goes around that people spout about one good game in 5 or 10 with Pogba. It’s actually more relevant to Bruno’s last 18 months performance wise, Pogba has literally never had an 18 month period where you look back game by game and see him perform as badly as Bruno has since December 20. He’s had injuries, he’s had periods of poor form. Hell you can definitely say he hasn’t been great….but he’s won something, two trophies and a World Cup in his time here, Bruno has some nice personal stats, no trophies and has been consistently poor for 18 months. Hopefully that improves under ETH.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

If he is that good and impactful maybe we should make him the next manager after ETH.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
List 1 - Dissapointing/Failed French Players that should have done better - Bellion, Schneiderlin, Obertan, Barthez, Silvestre, Saha, Martial, Prunier, Blanc.

List 2 - Legendary United French Players - Cantona & Patrice Evra.

I'll add Pogba to List 1.

Banana Republic

List 1 - Dissapointing/Failed French Players that should have done better - Bellion, Schneiderlin, Obertan, Barthez, Silvestre, Saha, Martial, Prunier, Blanc.

List 2 - Legendary United French Players - Cantona & Patrice Evra.

I'll add Pogba to List 1.
Saha was a good forward for us. His career was sadly blighted by serious injury.
There's no way you could say he was a failed signing.
It was just unfortunate and disappointing for both him and the club.

Silvestre was pretty decent, if not exceptional.
Fergie wouldn't have had him as first choice LB for 8 seasons otherwise.
He faded and we upgraded when Evra arrived.
Incidentally, they both scored 10 goals in their time at OT.

Blanc was past his sell-by-date and close to retirement when he came to us, as a stop-gap buy.
Disappointing or just 6 years too late?

Djemba-Djemba

Him fecking about on the edge of our box instead of passing it on, losing the ball and the opposition scoring.

That's how I'll remember Pogba.

Munkehboi

I remember his first few games, he was an absolute pillar of strength...no one could get the ball off him. I just thought what a beast of a player.

Fast forward 6 years and now all I remember him for is frequently being dispossessed and complaining on the floor that he didn't get a free kick.

Lynty

I have two distinct memories of Pogba's time at United.

One of his first matches in 2016 (possibly his debut vs Southampton) he was incredible. I hadn't seen anything of him at Juve other than late stage CL, so I was buzzing seeing how good he was at first.

Fast forward 6 years to Pogba faking an injury 10mins into a game at Anfield.

I think those two memories effectivly summarize his United career. So much talent, such a dickhead.

Wilt

Highly talented/world class footballer…. who couldn’t give a shite about Utd.

With difficulty, to be honest. A few superb performances, but not many great memories for the huge outlay. At least we don't need to worry about trying to replace someone who was the most important player. We won't be missing much.

studs

He didn't give much to remember him by, so I won't.