How will you remember Pogba's time at United?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
People said that he was influential in the dressing room as though that must have been a good thing!

It's only 'good' if the influence is positive. It's 'bad' if it's a happy loser mentality with pretences about being a celebrity that can potentially breed a negative culture in the dressing room.

Pogba might have worked out in a stronger squad surrounded by stronger characters. But at United, he was the biggest character in the place. As such set the tone for how everybody else conducted themselves and represented the shirt. If Jose is to be believed (which I'm inclined to do), he was a major source for the problems that have plagued us for so long.

Overall, he was possibly the worst signing in United's history. £89m with no sell on fee, injured for about a third of our games, disinterested for a lot of the rest, unable to function outside of a mythical Goldilocks zone, needed a setup with 4 or 5 players around him dedicated to making him look good, refused to play with any effort in an era of high pressing, repeatedly disrespected the club with thinly veiled hints at wanting to leave, more interested in looking good for youtube compilations rather than winning games, and a damaging trend setter for the club culture.

Wanted him to succeed. Disappointed he failed. Glad he's leaving.
Yeah based on the little I know about Pogba and Juventus or France dressing room, he wasn't in the top 4 or 5 leaders, not the ones that raise standards on the training pitch, not the ones that moan about every little imperfections. But from what I understand his role shouldn't be ignored, he has been for France and also Juventus a player that brings different groups together and maintain a good atmosphere.
Now you really need to have the soar losers and the guys that set the rules/discipline and I don't really know who had those roles at United.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Overall disappointing, never really hit the sustained highs we hoped he might. But he was also constantly let down by the inability to get a proper DM to play behind him, forcing him to play in the pivot (where he's mediocre at best defensively) often alongside tactics and coaching that was largely subpar.

Fans will overreact and say "crap" or he never played well but that's idiotic and reactionary. He was probably 65/35 good games to bad with some truly excellent periods of form, but the teams around him were never good enough to sustain anything and he never did himself favors during those periods with his celebrity status and agent. But I also think fans expected WAY too much out of him as a player, in that he was supposed to be this one man midfield that could create with the best in the world, score goals, and also fly around defensively breaking up play. And if he wasn't doing those things he was thought of as "inconsistent" even if many times he was the only midfielder in the team that could pass a ball properly.

I'd guess he'll boss it if he goes to PSG or somewhere that surrounds him with more technical players and allows him to influence the game without having to be a star man, which he isn't.

Rocknrolla69er

A total piss take and waste of money.

The start of signing those with the wrong personality and ethics

BigRon1985

I could never understand how a club could let a player leave for free then buy him back for a whopping £89 million??

A total let down and vindication of SAF's decision to let him go in the first place.

If he was delivering the goods on the pitch consistently instead of practising silly handshakes with Lingard, sporting ridiculous haircuts and cultivating his social media profile then his legacy would be assured.

Probably the most infuriating player I can remember playing for United...........he won't be missed!

King Eric 7

I will remember him for his handball in our penalty area. That self preserving act to the detriment of the team kinda sums him up for me.

DeGea’sFeet

A lesson. Don’t sign marquee players until 1) you already have a tittle winning or challenging team. 2) Marquee signings must serve a clear purpose, either they elevate you that extra level when you just fall short. Or they further distance the gap between you and your rivals when you’ve just won the league/CL.

Signing Pogba would have only worked if also signed a CDM, a proper winger, a proper CB, and proper long term CF during his window and the window after. It’s no coincidence that once Zlatan went, Pogba started becoming lost. But also his attitude stunk. He had a chance to be a leader and icon and he failed.

stu_1992

Disappointing. Wasted potential. Some rare highpoints which were fantastic in their own right, but far too infrequent. Mostly just leaves a bad taste as you know he has so much more to give but didn't give it.

soapythecat

I’ll remember the game against Leeds, the double against City. Beyond that, it’s not great…
His dancing with Beanz
His attrotious, look at me dress sense
His agent speaking on his behalf and clearly creating issues
His brother being a dick
His lack of effort in the majority of games

Can’t wait to see the back of him. A bad signing.

Red_toad

I think we need to stay away from ultra expensive players, Lukaku, Di Maria, Maguire & Pogba 300 million and for what? All have failed to live up to their price tag, Sancho has hardly set the world alight thus far either.

clarkydaz

One moment sums this guy up...Pogba emoji released 2 days before a completely anonymous display against Pool during which he gave away a penalty.

Style over substance. Can’t wait till he has gone.
that game is burned in my mind when i realised where the club was going. Spinning Pogba emojis all over OT during the game while he died on his arse in it. He was tragic

Banana Republic

Not only a waste of £90m on the transfer fee, but also 6 seasons on massive OTT wages.
That’s north of £170m down the drain.

forevrared

Made next to no impact at any point over the course of his second spell here. An absolute waste of time and money for United.

One season of inflated goal numbers when he took a load of penalties, but that’s it. You can probably count the number of standout individual performances on your fingers. He never looked or acted like he wanted to be at United and it showed through on the pitch (when he could be bothered to turn up and wasn’t busy in Dubai).

Okey

Ultimately a fraud. A waste of 6 years and a fecking lot of money. For a player we all know how good he can be, a new word would need to be invented for how underwhelming he's been for us. Just excuses and deflections. Won't miss him...

RedDevilQuebecois

The embodiment of so many things going wrong with football nowadays.
  • Not performing to the height of his talent enough times to justify his wages
  • Toxic entourage (his brother and the fat cnut of an agent)
  • Huge focus on image instead of substance (shit taste in clothing, stupid dance with Lingard, etc.)
  • Too many instances of laziness on the pitch
  • Throwing his mouth about everything under the sun instead of making himself accountable for his actions in matches.
Does he even know how many footballers would kill just to have the talent he has? Yet he keeps on wasting it every single year. Perhaps he will reflect in a few years about how much more he could have been. No tears for him.

A9X SJ

He was utter wash….. Fergie was tight in the first instance thinks he’s better than what he actual is, only good performances have been for France

el3mel

Thinking about it, bar the Europe league final goal and the 2 goals in the comeback against City, he really had no memorable performance in critical games for United. I can't remember anything else, maybe the 1-3 to Arsenal when De Gea made ton of saves? He made 2 assists back then from what I remember, but that was hardly a critical game.

Otherwise, nothing.

Matthew84!

Hmm I'll remember him the same way i remember having a sketchy kebab on the way home after drinking all day, seems great at the time but the following day or days everything turns to crap

Wing Attack Plan R

Flair, luxury player who provided moments of football ecstasy, but mostly never gelled with his teammates. I think it looked fated he’d rejoin us, the big homecoming story taking us back to the top, and it should have gone better, but ultimately he was a bad signing.

Devil81

I've erased the memory of so many players playing for us from this period it won't be hard to erase Pogba as well.

Hate him.

Lord Zlatan

I will remember his ludicrous hand ball against livepool, his sending off against liverpool in the 5-0 and his limping off against liverpool the other night. Mostly though the story about Michael Carrick coming into the dressing room the morning after a bad defeat and him and lingard were dancing. That, if true, and to be honest i can believe, sums him and eveything thats wrong with the club up.

Chripper

The whole thing could've been written by a comedy writer. Juventus sign him for free, from us. We then sign him back for £89m. We then allow his contract to expire, leaving him to leave for free.

It's comical.

The only thing that I'll remember is that, even when it was apparent that Pogba was toxic, his fans still stuck up for him.

Wonder if anyone is willing go down with the Pogba ship.

I never wanted to see him return.

Herman Toothrot

What I'll remember most is the million different combinations of "right position" (usually an unspecific, nonstandard, zero-responsibility free role) and "right players around him" that would unlock whatever it was that meant we got more the four or five good performances a season.

Lemon Moon

You'll have to explain that.
We could/should have built a team around him, bought a suitable midfielder or two that suited his style and unlocked his potential.
We bring Matic & Fred in and promote McTominay, none of which are capable in my opinion of forming an adequate partnership with Pogba.

Just seems like a wasted opportunity.

jesperjaap

Not much to remember in all honesty:

Fanfare and video when he signed, excitign opening games with Ibrahimovic, looked start of somethign special.....the somethig special was literally 3months of Ole's reign, the rest of his time here, ver much hit n miss

didz

What I'll remember most is the million different combinations of "right position" (usually an unspecific, nonstandard, zero-responsibility free role) and "right players around him" that would unlock whatever it was that meant we got more the four or five good performances a season.
Personally I never saw it as that complicated: he's a left winger. I think it was a bit unfair to criticise him for failing to track his man, or giving the ball away or whatever because I think his physique had him pigeon holed into a position his talents and weaknesses had no business being in.

The fact that we signed him to play in a double pivot because he played (sort of) in a midfield 3 at Juve with two incredibly goodactual midfielders was ridiculous in itself.

Maybe in a better team, with consistency of position and a different agent and a better manager and more support and, etc, etc, etc.

He provided some good moments, was largely disappointing and should have been moved on possibly 3 seasons ago? There is plenty to suggest that he is a consumate professional and an easy guy for his teammates to get along with anywhere.

But I'm just absolutely sick of the agent, the international duty flirtations, the increasingly lengthy injury breaks to Dubai, the insane contract offers relative to performance, the lot of it. He'll leave on a free again, and the fact that we'll get nothing for his departure (again) is oddly symmetrical in our having gained practically nothing for his being here.