How will you remember Pogba's time at United?

Herman Toothrot

Personally I never saw it as that complicated: he's a left winger. I think it was a bit unfair to criticise him for failing to track his man, or giving the ball away or whatever because I think his physique had him pigeon holed into a position his talents and weaknesses had no business being in.

The fact that we signed him to play in a double pivot because he played (sort of) in a midfield 3 at Juve with two incredibly goodactual midfielders was ridiculous in itself.

Maybe in a better team, with consistency of position and a different agent and a better manager and more support and, etc, etc, etc.

He provided some good moments, was largely disappointing and should have been moved on possibly 3 seasons ago? There is plenty to suggest that he is a consumate professional and an easy guy for his teammates to get along with anywhere.

But I'm just absolutely sick of the agent, the international duty flirtations, the increasingly lengthy injury breaks to Dubai, the insane contract offers relative to performance, the lot of it. He'll leave on a free again, and the fact that we'll get nothing for his departure (again) is oddly symmetrical in our having gained practically nothing for his being here.
I understand many right footed forwards wanting to play on the left of the attack, but Pogba there is a luxury. He's not threatening enough to take the place of a Sancho, Mane or whoever you want to name in that position. He had a short, successful spell there in the mid to late period of his United career, but always at the expense of a proper forward.

He's not a midfielder, he's not a forward.. he's the talent for both but universally unconvinced.

corno_mufc

A complete circus.

Will admit though, when he signed, and for some very brief moments he did look world class

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
On form he’s a top player unfortunately we never saw that consistently enough.

Wouldn’t put it past us to sign him up to a new contract. The only way that should happen is if ETH wants him and not due to the social media hits he generates.

RR said he won’t again THIS season, due to his injury so it may happen but probably only if no one is likely to match our wage package.

432JuanMata

When we signed him we had some bad MF and no10’s. instead of making them better they made him worse.
He will look good in a already great side but will not make a decent side better. Disappointed

Crashoutcassius

Expensive failure. Why did he come back? Mou's ego?
tbh redcafe thought the signing was genius at any price, even 150% of what we paid the forum would have hailed as genius. at 2x the wages as well. it was a period when fans thought we should pay any money for certain players that they thought guaranteed success. took all this team for people to find out that there are no such guarantee

didz

I understand many right footed forwards wanting to play on the left of the attack, but Pogba there is a luxury. He's not threatening enough to take the place of a Sancho, Mane or whoever you want to name in that position. He had a short, successful spell there in the mid to late period of his United career, but always at the expense of a proper forward.

He's not a midfielder, he's not a forward.. he's the talent for both but universally unconvinced.
I don't think he ever had that long a run on the left - in my opinion it was clear in our own youth sides that he was a left winger.

The short spell you refer to wasn't ended by poor form btw, it was cut short by injuries to actual midfielders which had him moved back. That actually happened 2 or 3 times. Had he spent his career on the wing, we'd be judging him by different criteria, much of which I think there's a good chance he'd come out more favourably on.

I mean it's all academic anyway. It probably took about 6 months for him to start regretting not going to Madrid, the same way Di Maria regretted not going to PSG. Its only because Pogba had been here before that each side felt like they had to hang on to each other, dragging out what - in hindsight - should've been a quick goodbye.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
He's tremendously talented, but we weren't the right team for him. I think his frustration about that sometimes got the better of him.

He'll go elsewhere and probably be phenomenal, but he's a luxury we don't need right now. It's a shame, but it is what it is.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
He'll go elsewhere and probably be phenomenal, but he's a luxury we don't need right now. It's a shame, but it is what it is.
He'll have some brilliant games no doubt. Also, people need to let it go. Didn't work out, like a bad relationship in some way from the start.

clarkydaz

He's tremendously talented, but we weren't the right team for him. I think his frustration about that sometimes got the better of him.

wait and see, he cant stay fit nowadays

Djemba-Djemba

Shite.

An injury prone waster.

Never did anything in the CL, terrible in the big games especially vs Liverpool where he was often an embarrassment, and had his agent insult Utd every international break.

I don't think I've ever been as happy to know a player is going.

Yorke to Cole

It is very complicated to analyse.

There was the management of Mourinho in which Pogba arrived during the same summer. It initially seemed like a decent combination, but the conduit of Imbrahimavich soon left and with it a certain archetype of leadership that the Pogba benefitted from.

Mourinho then started lashing out and Pogba became prime target after Pogba came back as a World Cup winner. Pogba's format then upturned once Solksjaer arrived but then dropped (like the team , when it'starts fitness levels) fell off in 18-19.

It is is this period of 19-20, that is the most intriguing for me. I think once United lined with Pogba against Chelsea on that opening day of the season, we all felt that "okay, this is probably his last season here, but if can help us" get into the Champions League and get a decent fee, then sure, all parties will be satisfied. Solksjaer can continue his project without Pogba, but with Rashford more mature and Martial coming into his peak and of course Sancho arriving at some point (probably the summer 2020).

. Pogba was injured in early December, came back too early for one game and then injured again with reoccurring fragments of an ankle injury. Rashford sustained the back injury against Wolves in the FA cup replay against Wolves a day United were down to the bare bones in a defeat against Burnley losing 2-0 athe Old Trafford.

Our hopes of achieving something substantial looked remote. That is until.....Bruno Fernandes arrived at the end of January. All of a sudden we started an upturn in form. A win at Stamford Bridge, a draw at Goodison Park followed by a win against City in the Derby.

I was at that stage, resigned to losing Pogba with the hope that Sancho would come, but with also the possibility of Jack Grealish is as Villa looked like they were going green relegated. I even recall, Savage saying on BT sport after the FA cup win against Derby, that if United signed those two with another can't re back and holding midfielder United would be title challengers the following season.

However, the pandemic struck. Football was suspended , but came back that summer. United got Pogba back, Martial and Fernandes was in sensational form and better still we had the emergence of Mason Greenwood. We got Champions League and we were supposed to sign the players I mentioned above.

On the flip side football economics went to the wall and clubs were forced to hold onto their assets.

The question is what should United have done that summer?

Should we have decided, that okay, we can' the get Grealish and Sancho will not arrive this summer, so shall we invest that holding midfielder that releases Pogba into that free role alongside Fernandes and imitate France?

In other words reintegrate him, buy saying we are now a making a directive to how we are going?

Instead, I think United and more specifically Woodward used Fernandes as currency to say to Pogba we will offer you a contract, but actually don't care if you sign or not. Therefore , Pogba was always in a state of limbo and that is not his fault. It is that very fact, that gave Raiola the ammunition to make such statements we have consistently seen.

More specifically to the question (and I know taken long to get to it), I remember as a missed opportunity.
I remember when he came off the bench at the San Siro in the Europa League afer half time and seeing him stretching just before running onto the pitch and I honestly felt, he is going great to make a difference here.

5 minutes later he got the ball in an advanced position in the box and scored. What was previously a lethargic team perform became lifted and players were pinging one touch passes all over the pitch.

It is moments like that, that should have been more frequent. AC Milan would have been dreading him coming on and that is what Manchester United in Europe should be like!

Should United have done more that summer to have signed the correct players to push a title challenge in 20/21 in what turned out to be a unique season of upheaval ravaged by Covid?

A lot of people criticise Solksjaer, and yes ultimately was not the right guy, but my word, Woodward giving him just Van Der Beek, was a monumental Woodward cock up.

Pogba and Manchester United was a tail of wrong timing and poor communication.

Simply a story, of mismanagement, miss timing and more importantly and a ....... missed opportunity!

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
It could have been great. I think he had some great periods here and some poor ones. Im thankful for getting the best years of Paul and will wish him the best.

Varane around town

Amazingly talented and he had some good moments.

Became a circus after his first season with us. Unfortunately I'll remember him for the injuries and the long drawn out recovery sessions in Dubai and Miami.

I think he wanted out quite early but found himself marooned here by circumstance. Pogba is a fantastic player but he doesn't have it in him to carry a team.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
29 and still can’t run a game of football even against shite. Wants to be the highest paid midfielder in the world when not even the totally inept Manchester United want him anymore. Cloud cuckoo land!

Style and hype over substance all the way

Last edited:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
A waste. Both from our end to him and from him to us.

jeepers

Complete waste of time and money. We could perhaps have fixed the midfield issue earlier if we didn’t go for him.

Tyrion

I think he had a handful of absolutely brilliant games where he looked every bit the player we all hoped for.

But the memories will be of injuries, wanting to leave and performing well below the level I’d hoped.

In a word: disappointing.
That's whats annoying. He could be good but doesn't seem bothered. I doubt that he'll be consistently brilliant elsewhere either. More than likely, he'll go to PSG and become their 4th most talented waster.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
that game is burned in my mind when i realised where the club was going. Spinning Pogba emojis all over OT during the game while he died on his arse in it. He was tragic

:lol: Forgot about this. Shows how pathetic we were run under Woody and how pathetic he was as a player. He’s the poster boy for our mediocrity in the last 9 years. Match made in heaven.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
A complete circus.

Will admit though, when he signed, and for some very brief moments he did look world class
My thoughts exactly.
I remember when I saw him play his first game at OT, which was also Jose's first game at OT, it was on a Friday night and the place was absolutely buzzing.
Ibrahimovic was also on display that night.
Pogba was everywhere and working harder than probably any other player on the field.

And yes, we did win that night.

After his first season though, he went downhill and has also suffered with long term injuries which didn't help.
Now, I just want him gone. We need a hard reset.

ExoduS

As a useless and expensive player. Sorta like Veron, but at least we got rid of Veron or he got rid of us (don't remember history) fairly quickly.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Reminds me of Berbatov.

We expected much more. Was good but not great nor consistent.

Slow yet stylish aswell.

BaneIsPain

Unfulfilled potential. Partly his fault partly the transitioning club condition.

kundalini

Pogba shouldn't have rejoined United because he really wanted to play for Real Madrid. Had he stayed in Turin for another season, he may well have been priced at a fee Madrid would have been willing to pay.

United shouldn't have signed Pogba to play central midfield because we ended up paying a huge fee and high wages for a player who had impressed as a left sided attacking midfielder protected by 2 high quality central midfielders.

Having made the decision to join United and especially knowing that Madrid's interest wasn't sufficient to pay the type of transfer fee United would expect, Pogba should have made more effort to be a team player and behaved professionally both on and off the pitch.

I'll remember it as an epic mistake from all concerned. Pogba wasted a large chunk of his career here. United wasted years trying to get the best out of Pogba.

Chicharo

As an incredible talent who never reached his potential peak. Partly because of his own mentality, partly because, as some of you already said, managers didn't know how to use use him
I would'n be surprised if he eent to Madrid or PSG and played incredibly well

Skills

Snitch
An unnecessary stain on a decorated career. He would've been better off going almost anywhere else