How will you remember Pogba's time at United?

bringbackbebe

Not getting the best out of Pogba shows our own systematic failure that has been the norm since SAF left. We haven't had a player in this period who has performed consistently to earn a praise (maybe De Gea) and Pogba is no exception. I wish him the best of luck and hope he fulfills his potential and has happiness in another club.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I will remember it as fans having little to no clue about the type of player he was before arriving, the club overpaying wayyyy too much for him.
The expectation put on his shoulders due that fee has always been a problem because he was never good enough to fulfill.
If there ever was a perfect example of separating how a player should be rated and his transfer fee, it's this one.

Mercurial

An unnecessary stain on a decorated career. He would've been better off going almost anywhere else
Still surprised people think he is any type of victim and without will. Noone wanted to take him on the salary we gave and pay that fee. He got max media and enterprise deals and exposure with us. People need to realize he stayed of his free will and has netted metric tons of money from club and all the commercial side exposures. It's his own problem no other clubs were willing to pay for him since his limitations were exposed as a true fairweather player in need of dual protection and an exemption to defend or track back. Might work in NT but day in day out at club he is a certain liability unless built around, and who builds around a flakey charachter? At best he is the comic relief guy in the locker room and not any true leader.

Probably planned from start and wanted to tank up 2-3 years on the United buffet and then have Raiola badmouth and weasle down his transfer fee and make their way out of the deal to go to Madrid et al, except smart DOFs elsewhere didn't bite. Raiola trying to hawk him for a move backfired hard. Should have taken a pay cut and moved if he gave a flying feck about any career goals not involving mon€y.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Why should he be remembered?

BarstoolProphet

By all accounts a genuinely nice guy, seems loved by everyone inside the club. Too injury prone and very hit and miss on the pitch. My impression of him being unprofessional stems from him and him letting his proxies unsettle the club for years. Not re-signing him will be a massive step in the right direction regardless of him being perhaps our most talented player.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
"Remember?"

I'll try my best to forget it. Absolute waste player who hasn't delivered and continually disrespected the fans with his and his agent's antics.

Dearg hÉireann

Still surprised people think he is any type of victim and without will. Noone wanted to take him on the salary we gave and pay that fee. He got max media and enterprise deals and exposure with us. People need to realize he stayed of his free will and has netted metric tons of money from club and all the commercial side exposures. It's his own problem no other clubs were willing to pay for him since his limitations were exposed as a true fairweather player in need of dual protection and an exemption to defend or track back. Might work in NT but day in day out at club he is a certain liability unless built around, and who builds around a flakey charachter? At best he is the comic relief guy in the locker room and not any true leader.

Probably planned from start and wanted to tank up 2-3 years on the United buffet and then have Raiola badmouth and weasle down his transfer fee and make their way out of the deal to go to Madrid et al, except smart DOFs elsewhere didn't bite. Raiola trying to hawk him for a move backfired hard. Should have taken a pay cut and moved if he gave a flying feck about any career goals not involving mon€y.
Totally agree with everything you said. I think he will be remembered as a guy capable of the sublime at times but between injuries, poor form, bad mouthing the club, he will always be associated as a huge part of the problem in one of the poorest eras of United's history.

buckooo1978

Pogba is the personification of all that's been wrong at United over the last nine years....

outrageous talent with no consistency

a fantastic Tik Tok/You Tube player with incredible skill but unable to dominate games

football overshadowed by drama

unreliable and form ranged from the sublime to the ridiculous

such a shame but we need Bryan Robsons in this team now. Players with character on the pitch rather than off it.

Felt his best football was when Herrera and Matic were in midfield with him. The Matic legs went and I think Herrera is really underrated on here. He was a big loss....

All the best though Paul

ROFLUTION

As an unfocused player. Mainly due to his agent and his head being in Madrid 70% of the time.

AmanNits04

I was so excited when we first signed him, but his attitude is the one thing which will never let him be world class. He has so much technical ability but no desire to use it.
He isn't the one who is going to be a leader, he can flourish when he would play in an already set team with multiple leaders. Sadly United wasn't that place for him. Won't really miss him here now that he would be gone

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Disruptive would be how I will remember him. That and rather underwhelming. He promised so much, yet rarely delivered on a consistent basis. Very much a luxury player who can help elevate an already amazing team, but unable to be the driving force behind a club himself.

Josep Dowling

One of the most overrated players by media and fans in footballing history. A midfielder who can defend, doesn’t track back, feigns injury when the going gets tough.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I said right back on the day he resigned that I didn't think he was the world-class player some thought him to be. Waste of time and space, if you ask me. Failed to dominate the midfield far too often and against "lesser" side. Of course, I measure him up against Roy Keane so maybe that's a bit too tough for the guy...

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I will remember it as fans having little to no clue about the type of player he was before arriving, the club overpaying wayyyy too much for him.
The expectation put on his shoulders due that fee has always been a problem because he was never good enough to fulfill.
If there ever was a perfect example of separating how a player should be rated and his transfer fee, it's this one.
That’s a hell of a lot of excuses for a player that has systematically failed to deliver while players such as Bruno, Ronaldo et el have made immediate impacts.

Pogba has the ability to deliver but his own arrogance (unwillingness to mould his game the premier league) and laziness has lead to largely underwhelming performances.

R'hllor

Not in negative way thats for fecking sure, from day one expectations were mental, still remember a comment after him scoring while team having shit performance, how thats why we paid such money for him to bail the game out, such shit pisses me off. People wanted him to carry all on his back with underserved winners, while nobody else got a slack during that time, like they play for free.

Minkaro

We’re not allowed to post gifs in here, are we? Otherwise I’d be posting that Hercules “disappointing!” one.

If anyone ever, for some reason, put together a DVD looking at these slump years, Pogba is on the cover.

OL29

Overall, he was possibly the worst signing in United's history. £89m with no sell on fee, injured for about a third of our games, disinterested for a lot of the rest, unable to function outside of a mythical Goldilocks zone, needed a setup with 4 or 5 players around him dedicated to making him look good, refused to play with any effort in an era of high pressing, repeatedly disrespected the club with thinly veiled hints at wanting to leave, more interested in looking good for youtube compilations rather than winning games, and a damaging trend setter for the club culture.
I think that accolade goes to Harry Maguire. At least Pogba has won trophies, Maguire was just as expensive, was prematurely made captain, a job he’s failed at so much it’ll probably stripped from him, has apparently been the source of dressing room unrest and embarrassed the club with his off field behaviour. On top of this, we’ve constantly been told that he needs a top CB partner with pace despite him often being inferior to whoever he plays with. Although Pogba’s signing hasn’t worked out, it at least made sense to invest a huge sum on him. Signing Maguire for that sum will always be looked at as baffling.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That’s a hell of a lot of excuses for a player that has systematically failed to deliver while players such as Bruno, Ronaldo et el have made immediate impacts.

Pogba has the ability to deliver but his own arrogance (unwillingness to mould his game the premier league) and laziness has lead to largely underwhelming performances.
I don't think you even got what I meant.
I just said he was seen to be a player he never was from his first game. I've been saying this with @JPRouve since before he's even kicked a ball. He's always had ability to do amazing things in spurs during games but he was never good enough to begin with to be the player his fee implied him to be for many fans.
The expectation was never gonna get met but Pogba himself has his fault for lowering the bar very very low in many games
Of course he has had his shortcomings and zero self accountability judging from his last interview during the international break. All in all, this separation has always been inevitable

Hammondo

I think this is probably one transfer that has been a massive disappointment for all parties involved. Even in a total flop like Sanchez, he got a massive contract he wouldn't have gotten anywhere else at that stage of his career and earned a fair amount when we had to subsidize his wages at Inter for his loan. So you could say it benefitted him financially far more than any other move would have.

In Pogba's case, he was obviously a massive disappointment from a Utd perspective, but even from a Pogba perspective, he wasted his prime never achieving what he might have. He would have got a comparable contract pretty much anywhere he had gone so he didn't benefit exceptionally financially from this move. And from a footballing perspective, he of course, didn't win anything much for the club.

His relationship with the fans deteriorated to an extent that most are happy to see the back of him. A disappointing move all around.
I don't remember him getting any other offers. It's not like clubs were showing interest.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Injuries, 'needs to be unlocked', played well in the second half against City once.

TOPREDIAMNOT

An absolute waste of time, money and hope. Like the whole Utd team for the past 8 years.

I pray he never plays for us ever again. He could have worked well if we had 10 world class players around him and they could carry a luxury player. But he has been exposed in this team. He is no-where near world class level. I can see why Fergie let him go.

Interesting to see where he ends up. IF his contract was not up I guarantee no top club would pay a transfer for him. Jog on Paul. You took the club for a ride.

And to think 4 year ago some said he was better than De Bruyne. Wow....that didn't age well.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It’s a shame really that he’s only played for us under pragmatic managers and managers who couldn’t get the best out of him. We’ll never find out what he’d of been like under an attacking manager. Think he’d of thrived under guardiola as he’s more possession based and hardly any defending duties. He wouldn’t of been good under klopp as he likes hard workers and pressers. He’d of probably been quality under ten Hag. Think the best thing pogba has done for us was score the 2 goals in the comeback against city when we beat them 3-2.

GBBQ

He’ll be emblematic of the Woodward era, over paid and under delivered.

SeanyC

Out of 10 a generous 6….spells where he played well but overall a failure, more interested and clicks and likes and don’t get me started on his mouth piece agent

Bobski

I was frustrated with him(and the fan-base) in the first couple of season as I felt he had the ability to be the best CM in the world but was resisting maturing into the more well rounded midfielder we needed him to be, that far too many excuses were being made for him, too many instances of people saying he needs this, this and this, instead of him adapting to what Utd needed from him. The constant discussion of his is best role was irritating.

Looking back he has massively dropped from the level he was at in those initial years, and was probably never suited to what we expected or needed from him, Utd would be idiots to retain him, what is going to change?

Huge talent, very likeable personality in many ways but a disappointment on the pitch, if you have a great team, with a strong system that functions smoothly he will be a great luxury to add to that, give you match winning moments, but if you need him to be integral to that smooth function he is not the guy.

Lanesy

Detestable. Vastly overrated. Horrible attitude. Spoilt brat. Prima Donna.

The absolute minimum we expect as fans is for players to work hard on the pitch and he just didn’t.

I’ll even go as far as saying he feigned the injury against Liverpool because he didn’t fancy it after 10 minutes. Good riddance.