How would the players and fans react tomorrow if the board backs Ole?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
My mate went & said it wasn’t as supportive as is being made out on TV, he left after the Pogba red but said there was a lot of unrest in the stands.
Of course, you are not going to think it is supportive if you fold and feck off with the rest of the entitled lot moaning outside the ground. You cede any right to criticise the players and manager for any perceived lack of effort, when you cannot even stay in Old Trafford for the 90. A home thrashing is a great way to filter out the crowd and get the most committed fans only remaining to still sing at the end. I'm not sure I want to be singing it in those circumstances again, but that was the most passionate Manchester United Calypso of the season as we approached full-time.

Marwood

I don't think anybody could complain. I don't think even Ole would.

Cloud7

Of course, you are not going to think it is supportive if you fold and feck off with the rest of the entitled lot moaning outside the ground. You cede any right to criticise the players and manager for any perceived lack of effort, when you cannot even stay in Old Trafford for the 90. A home thrashing is a great way to filter out the crowd and get the most committed fans only remaining to still sing at the end. I'm not sure I want to be singing it in those circumstances again, but that was the most passionate Manchester United Calypso of the season as we approached full-time.
:lol:

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
If the club is fine with this shit then I don't care either. I won't give a shit about any loss from now on if Ole managed us against Tottenham.
Exactly how I feel. There’s no emotion anymore. I’m not going to blindly support this cause out of loyalty.

laughtersassassin

This is a great example of why sacking the manager does not solve the problem. You have no plan and are likely to leave us worse off both short term and long term. You can sack the manager, but don't shit the bed in doing so.
Nah you sack today and get a caretaker in while we plan for a new manager.

If you give Ole more time he will go on an okay run and they won't sack him.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Nah you sack today and get a caretaker in while we plan for a new manager.

If you give Ole more time he will go on an okay run and they won't sack him.
In which case, the problem is with those hiring and firing the manager, so why would you trust them to get the appointment right anyway? That's a fallacy if I ever saw one.

Lebowski

All I was saying was that it’s bizarre that someone’s thought after today’s game was to run to Ole to get an autograph or whatever they were doing.

I am not saying they should attack him like the Barca fans did to Koeman (I’d never want to see shit like that anywhere, let alone at United).

But again you seem to be insinuating that someone being to Old Trafford gives them a bit more leeway of what they can and can’t do or say. What I am saying is that as long as the club is happy to indirectly take someone’s tv subscription money somewhere in a developing country to fund its operations (including them fancy new players and their big wages that the match going fans love to demand), then be ok with them expressing an opinion without ever going to Old Trafford.
OK, I think I mis-understood your opening post, I thought you were attacking match going fans for not behaving how you think they should.

The fans queueing up for autographs may seem weird to most supporters. The vast majority are usually day trippers and tourists. It might seem weird to want a selfie after watching United suffer their most embarrassing loss in years, but ironically these people being a more common sight on match days is due to the global branding stuff you were talking about in your post. I'm not saying it's wrong or right, it is what it is and like you said, it's a big reason why we're able to generate enough money to chuck at players every summer.

However... I think its missing the point to look at a dad taking his kid to get an autograph from Ole after his first trip to OT and say "this is why we tolerate mediocrity".

For the record I don't think fans who attend matches are the only ones who get to have an opinion. Every fan is free to have an opinion and express it however they choose. What I am saying though, is that match going fans have just as much right to support their team in whatever way they choose, and its rich to hear their choices getting criticised by the most reactionary elements of social media who haven't been to Old Trafford in their lives.

Andersonson

I can't see any Ajax fans waiting to take selfies with any Ajax manager after a drubbing by PSV or Feynoord. This is a disgrace.
So if fans queue up he should've ran instead and not signing autographs?
What would that video be like?

" Ole doesn't want to sign autographs, kids cry outside Old Trafford "

He can't really do anything right in some eyes on here.

Pathetic

RedDevilQuebecois

3 seasons, yes and we've shown improvement in every one. Yes, yesterday was disappointing but time to shake ourselves off and look forward. Ole's a legend of the club and deseves respect.
That sense of entitlement because one is a legend is disgusting. He has had 3 years now; THIS is a major regression and it is clear that his decisions have led to major disgruntlement in the dressing room. Deserving respect as a legendary player and deserving respect as a manager are separate things.

While being a Man Utd fan, I also keep my eyes peeled elsewhere. I tell you this: it is no different from how things panned out under Rafa Benitez at Real Madrid. We are winless in a month in the Premier League; there is just no way back for Ole. You can either cut him loose and try to salvage something, or you keep Ole and then flip the coin while hoping for luck. That is now how successful businesses perform; anyone hindering to the path to success of a company gets axed unceremoniously before problems get even more difficult to solve.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Fans would be seething. Like, the last thing any United fan on this planet wants to hear right now is that the board are backing him. I can't think of anything that would set the fans off more than that. He's been booed at HT two games in a row now, there might be a few who back him, like those in the video, but it's fairly clear he's lost the majority of the matchgoing fans.
Most match going fans will support the manager as they have always done regardless of what they think privately or post on social media. The boos were aimed at the performance not at the manager at half-time and I did't hear any boos at full-time.

Even in the most direst of situations when you have people wanting the manager out...it's the minority who protest with banners, placards etc.

Here in England the vast majority of match going fans stay pretty loyal...so not sure I agree with any of this.

If things deteriorated further then it could change of course.

Roboc7

Apathy and just go through the motions waiting for the inevitable. Club will be trying to work out what to do, Ole staying for a few more games is definitely a possibility.

Lebowski

Not being in UK now or not being ST holder now doesn't mean you weren't in the past. Besides it's not like being a matchgoer now makes you a better fan or a top red of any sorts. Visible around the 60th minute when hundreds walked out of the stadium.

I've never ever seen so many United fans leaving the stadium half an hour to go. Not live, not ever.
True enough, but being a matchgoing fan does give you the right to support the club how you choose when you're in the stadium, without having to justify your choice to someone behind an avatar on the other side of the world on Twitter because you aren't throwing pigs heads or leading 'Ole out' chants all game.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
The protests has to start again. They were very effective last time. The owners, board, Woodward and Ole are horrible, and the club is broken from top to toe.

justsomebloke

Then there'll be nothing for it other than sit down in front of the telly next Saturday stoically expecting another disaster, and hoping against hope that there's a fix. Not that it'll be much different if a caretaker is in place by then. We're in a deep hole, and it's going to take some serious shit to get us out of it, no matter who's doing it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Most match going fans will support the manager as they have always done regardless of what they think privately or post on social media. The boos were aimed at the performance not at the manager at half-time and I did't hear any boos at full-time.

Even in the most direst of situations when you have people wanting the manager out...it's the minority who protest with banners, placards etc.

Here in England the vast majority of match going fans stay pretty loyal...so not sure I agree with any of this.

I mean, it’s fair to disagree as my post was opinion based but we have been booed 2 games in a row at HT and thousands left at HT yesterday. That’s unarguable. There’s definitely the sense that the majority are no longer with him. You don’t get booed in consecutive home games if the crowd is on your side.

For the record I am from England and my family is made up of matchgoing United fans having being a semi-regular attender myself over the years, so I do understand there’s a big culture around supporting the manager and loyalty, but it hasn’t felt like that at all this season. A 5-0 loss at home to our biggest rivals is enough to switch anyone off if we’re brutally honest and I foresee it only getting worse from here.

justsomebloke

Well, the thing is though, how could it possibly deteriorate any further? The biggest home loss of the premier league era, the biggest loss to Liverpool since, what, the 1930s, a total, complete, defensive shambles, confidence levels through the basement floor. And a performance to more than match the result. For the 8th straight time. Currently we are not merely a poor team, we are a non-functioning team. Playing like this, we must expect to lose to anyone. There is an immediate and urgent need for major improvement within the next 6 days. And given Ole has been faced with the same issues for at least the last 8 games or so, and has not only failed to solve them but in fact overseen their steady deterioration without attempting any major adjustments to our approach.....why would he fix this now? Sorry, I've been staunchly supportive of the process and his performance since the beginning, arguing that as long as the trajectory was positive and the results good he deserved the chance to take it to the next level, but it is simply becoming obvious that he's not going to.

Last edited:

Lebowski

I'm a season ticket holder and have been going to Old Trafford for several decades now. Am I allowed to have a view?

This perverse pride in accepting mediocrity is killing the club. The moment match going fans turn on Ole, he's gone. That they choose to celebrate his leading us to further decline is not a source of pride for me, a mancunian season ticket holder.

Obviously this shouldn't get vitriolic or personal. But where the hell are our standards? I bring my sons to the match and I can see them drift away from United in front of my very eyes as this crap is allowed to continue. It has to stop now.

So yes it's frustrating that elements of the stadium applauds this substandard manager and enables the continuation of our decline into irrelevance. I will forever support the club, but if anyone gets in the way of our success, anyone, they lose my support. United is a million times bigger than Ole. Be 'classy' all you want, but it comes at a very heavy price.
Everyone is allowed to have a view mate, whether they're a season ticket holder or not.

I understand your frustration and I can't admit that over the past few years I haven't at times also caught myself wishing that our fans would be a bit more militant so that we could turn the heat up on the owners. After the match Andy Mitten described the support as 'loyal, probably to a fault'.

Ultimately you could probably write a book about why we're like this and whether it's a good thing. Some combination of our fan culture, the Glazer takeover and fans opposition being ignored, the average makeup of OT being older, affluent families, etc.

I'm torn on whether I want our fans to be more militant though... meekly accepting results like yesterday and earning a moral victory for outsinging Liverpool even when we're 5-0 is cold comfort when what's going on the pitch is so awful, and I hate that the loyalty of our supporters is used as a shield by our exploitative owners, but at the same time... I would hate for us to lose the identity and culture of our fanbase and become the sort of club that will get on the backs of every player or manager as soon as things aren't going well. Obviously there's a middle ground... I guess what I'm saying is that as much as I understand your frustration with elements of our own support, some of those same elements are probably what makes it the envy of the world.

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

Am I meant to show him this & tell him he should be ashamed of himself?

steffyr2

I can't see us throwing out the values of the club to adapt the short term Abramovich model. Even if the call is already made, you'd hope there would be a plan for when it happens. Chelsea axed Lampard knowing an ideal candidate was available to take over, which is not the case at this stage in the season for us.
What value is that?
"Utd stick with incompetent people no matter what!"
or maybe
"Good ole boys rule!"

If the board doesn't have a replacement lined up, then there's more incompetent people to fire.

mancave bear

Mutiny really. Can't imagine Ronaldo, Varane, Pogba or Bruno being happy with the shite we currently serve. People underestimate the power these players have. And they're all about winning.
Pogba and Ronaldo are part of the problem. The Glazers want them to sell shirts. Impossible to play high press with them. They would not be picked by Klop or Pep.

I think Ole has got enough chances, but I cant see us getting a new manager that can win us the title. The owners are the problem.

NewDawnFades

What value is that?
"Utd stick with incompetent people no matter what!"
or maybe
"Good ole boys rule!"

If the board doesn't have a replacement lined up, then there's more incompetent people to fire.
Values of respect, loyalty, recognising the traditions of the club and those who try to maintain them. Also long term, sustainable management structures - not reactive, superficial changes that last a year or two and require constant change to compete. Like I said, we're not Chelsea. We don't have a brutal Russian oligarch making all the decisions and frankly, as bad as our owners are, I am glad about that.

USREDEVIL

God what a question! :lol:
I'd get behind him ..........................................and shove him off a cliff.
Just kidding i'd get behind him and hope he can get things right but only because he's Ole.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
As far as I'm concerned, there's no indication beyond sheer rumours (easiest thing in the world to publish at this point, for any "journalist") that he's actually lost the dressing room.

steffyr2

Values of respect, loyalty, recognising the traditions of the club and those who try to maintain them. Also long term, sustainable management structures - not reactive, superficial changes that last a year or two and require constant change to compete. Like I said, we're not Chelsea. We don't have a brutal Russian oligarch making all the decisions and frankly, as bad as our owners are, I am glad about that.
Oh. Does this tradition only apply to mgmt? Cause we've been in a frenzy of buying & selling players.

RedDevilRoshi

TBF it's easy clickbait for them after we got rinsed by pool. We'll just have to wait and see.
The likes of Jackson has close sources at the club and wouldn’t just post shite unless he has heard something.

Also, the club would have came out already and squashed these reports if what is being reported is a pile of attention seeking clickbait.

DickDastardly

Get a hold of 80.000 Buzz joysticks and install them at OT.

Blue - Ole stays
Orange - Ten Hag
Green - Zidane
Yellow - Conte

And let the ticket holders decide.

dave1956

It is not just the manager, there is a question of his coaching staff, who are also part of the greater problem. Bring in a new manager but if you keep the present coaching staff the problems as I see it will remain. I cannot see any manager taking up the position with the present coaching staff in place. I think the Glaziers being business men will look at the cost of severances packages aginst staying as we are.

AFC NimbleThumb

Oh. Does this tradition only apply to mgmt? Cause we've been in a frenzy of buying & selling players.
No. It only applies to the management the masses like. I’ve never seen the ‘traditions of the club’ spoken about as much as now OgS is facing the end.

OgS managing us is not for the betterment of the club but a certain section of the fanbase want to wear this period as some form of martyrdom.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Am I really reading that people think it's right, and are actually envious, of the Barca fans swarming Koemans car intimidatingly like that? That it's to be respected?
Even moreso, such behavior is apparently the reason why Barcelona will win the CL before we do.

Makes sense why the CL in recent years has gone to clubs who have ultras that accost their managers after games. Red Star Belgrade is on 9 big ears as we speak.

AndyMUFC86

Im a match going fan, my farther took me from being 9yo in 1995 and I’ve had a season ticket since turning 18. I will never boo my own team, never boo the manager. It’s not my job to hire and fire managers/players. My part is to support the team. That is what I do and always will. I don’t accept mediocrity and don’t think Ole is at the level required to take us forward but I will never turn on him or the team. That’s for the board/owners to sort. If anything during times like this the players and management need our support more than ever. I know this may not be agreed by all but that’s how I am. I support the team not tear strips off them every time things don’t go well

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I don’t accept mediocrity and don’t think Ole is at the level required to take us forward but I will never turn on him or the team. That’s for the board/owners to sort. If anything during times like this the players and management need our support more than ever. I know this may not be agreed by all but that’s how I am. I support the team not tear strips off them every time things don’t go well
You literally just called the team mediocre and said Ole wasn't good enough. How is that supporting the team? How is that not turning on the team? You think your shit don't stink? It does.

Top Reds are really confused these days. Their spiritual leader Gary Neville apparently now just lies in a darkened room all days tweeting random noise. Must be difficult to think something and be unable to say it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I can't see any Ajax fans waiting to take selfies with any Ajax manager after a drubbing by PSV or Feynoord. This is a disgrace.
Big portion of the fans have United way embedded deep inside them. Its not the United way to turn against the manager, you need to support anyone who is the manager. Its naive and traditional. I dont mean we should abaddon the values this club has but it needs to be run more efficiently, more ruthlessly, with less emotion and nostalgia involved in order to justify the motto (which is also a part of United way): youth, courage and success.

Hughie77

What I've read if it's true or Bollocks, is SAF has had a word and told them to give him a few more games?
Now that's all conjecture, imo I think he's got SAT, the Atalanta game away as long as we don't lose over there , 3 pts at home to Young boys we Qualify the group. Then they see if City spank us or lessons not learned he's out. The only defence I got for Ole is the players haven't helped by making glaring errors now that's not his fault.
But the Errors on Sunday were looking like they didn't know what shape to play, and that's Oles fault.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Absolute cretins bashing kids for getting an autograph from a United legend. Even more disgusting applauding the abuse on Koeman. Pure gowlism.

Cantonagotmehere

I love Ole, but it's over. Obviously anything disparaging towards him is criminal as a United fan.

If he is managing a week from now, I will still support the team but we will know the leadership will probably doom us for the next decade.