How would you feel if Rooney smashed it at Everton?

Fox E Power

I would love to see Rooney smash stuff left right and centre, so long as he's not playing us.

Quizierda

Would be happy for him!
He did a great job while he was with us and the last two/three seasons shouldn't lead us to ignore that. You don't score 253 goals and keep yourself at a club like United for over a decade when you are sh**. I think he still has a few good games in him and wish him well.

However, it is good that he moved on now - allowing us to do the same.

sugar_kane

I'd be astonished.

I'd be especially astonished considered he has been crap since he's been 27.... which is almost unbelievable when you think about it.

SirAF

Ageist
As long as he doesn't score or assist against United he can play as well or as bad as he can. Doesn't make a difference.

Robertd0803

Wont happen, it wont be long before he ends up on the bench when Koeman has had enough of him being a passenger.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Not going to happen, he will be as effective for Everton as he has been for united for the last 3 seasons.

Fully expect Everton fans to get annoyed as us.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I'd be very happy for him.
He's won everything here, a new challenge is probably what he needs.

stu_1992

Genuinely I wouldn't be bitter, he would never recapture his form here. If it's possible at all it needed to be a change of venue. And seeing as I have basically no affiliation towards him, I can't say I would be delighted to see do well there either.

Precaution

i would harbour no ill will to Rooney, everybody and their dog could see he was finished as a top level striker for us, there was no argument and the fact even Southgate dropped him from the England team meant the general consensus was that he wasn't good anymore, now if he regains his form under less pressure at Everton - which is debateable since Koeman has splashed out over £100mill so there's actually pressure for them to finish better than they did last year, with a different training regime and a new coach in Koeman who being a world class player can relate to Rooney abit i guess, he might suddenly have an Indian summer, kudos to him if he does.

RedDevil@84

I would be super happy for him. Things were not happening for him here. It could be for multiple reasons.
Everton could be a breathe of fresh air for him. Pressures are lesser. No one really expects him to tear apart the league or something. A change of environment and a new challenge awaits him. And a chance to do something for his boyhood club. He has been at Utd, gave everything he could and achieved so much. Add to it that, even if he has 1 good season with them, his name will be edged among legends for 2 clubs.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I'd be happy for him, really happy.

He's brought us so many great memories at United, and I don't view Everton as a rival (no disrespect intended to Everton fans).

In fact, I'd love to see him lift a trophy at Everton (FA Cup or League Cup), it'd be a great story - and I find great stories inspiring.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Really happy for him. Would be great if he brought real Champions League football to Goodison.

Could help with their stadium move too. Although knowing Everton they'll start relying on that money and end up starting again from the conference.

Rake

Don't care. Player X performing better in another club doesn't mean that he could have done the same for United.

I won't be sorry that we let him go even if he becomes the top scorer next season.

Giggs86

I don't think he is good enough for us anymore - but if he is playing regularly he will score 10-15 goals. If he had played regularly for us, he would have scored that amount of goals. Simply because he is still good at set-pieces and even if he has lost that extra pace, he can still strike the ball like few others.
With penalties I agree. 10-15 field goals would be too much for him though.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He's not going to be smashing anything, let's be honest here. His ability will be there but not the physicality which has been going down for a while. He has lost the pace and his ability to beat a player is no longer as intimidating as it was. His impact will be as a player with experience at the highest level. Those young players will benefit from that but losing a player like Lukaku will hurt them more than gaining a Rooney

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I've said for months now: give him the games, keep him fit, he'll do the business. But I got shouted down time and time again by the haters

idmanager

I'd love it if he gets anywhere near Shearer's total in the league.
Looks unlikely, but you can always hope.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I've said for months now: give him the games, keep him fit, he'll do the business. But I got shouted down time and time again by the haters
Same.

I feel the added motivation of playing for a new club will rejuvinate him somewhat, give him that spark that he's lacked over the past few years. The low fee and drop in salary will allow him to play with less pressure too.

Precaution

By which, all the times he started and fluffed it all up by stinking out the place? There's one thing giving fitness to a player but there's another by giving a Charity Run out to a Sunday League Pub player.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'd be reasonably happy if it didn't prove that he's been a lazy cnut for us. Of course there's a chance it'll motivate him, but I'm not sure that's much of a let off.

That said, he was never getting any better here, so it makes little difference in reality.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
You find the idea that people lose speed and acceleration as they age a strange concept?
I think it's more the fact people say Rooney hasn't looked after himself. But that suggests lacking peak fitness which can be addressed. Yes acceleration and speed obviously reduces with age, but I guess I never saw that as a massive part of his game. Important of course, but not exactly like an Owen where speed is 90 percent of his game and injuries ruined him.

Minimalist

I think it's more the fact people say Rooney hasn't looked after himself. But that suggests lacking peak fitness which can be addressed. Yes acceleration and speed obviously reduces with age, but I guess I never saw that as a massive part of his game. Important of course, but not exactly like an Owen where speed is 90 percent of his game and injuries ruined him.
It was literally a third of his game. His aggression, acceleration from a dead stop and brute strength was a huge part of what made him capable of winning matches at his best. He had quality at his feet but so do many, many players without his (former) physical advantages.

pauldyson1uk

I have said this before, now that he has gone I genuinely dont care how he does, I dont see Everton challenging for the PL title.
While I agree he is a United legend and will always have a place in United history , I lost all respect for him with the transfer demand, I dont think I ever actually liked him.
He had gone stale here and needed a new challenge, going back to Everton has given him that challenge.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
There's a difference between simple pressure from a bad bit of form whilst you're still in a body that responds as you expect it to, there's something else when you're trying to find your feet with a fading body that doesn't whilst you've got 76,000 people watching your every mistake and a manager who will invariably bench you in short shrift for it.

We don't know the psychological burden the above takes on a player, but it's not hard to imagine that going from one of the superstars of the team, and the game at large, to bit part write off, is going to take a tremendous toll. So even if he is physically shot, it may well have been that he was mentally drained as well. If that's the case, you've an environment that's no good for anyone.
It was only last season when the manager dropped him for not performing. Previously he had the unwavering support of the managers regardless of how he performed. I'd say it's purely physical rather than mental. That said, if he can take better care of himself and, more importantly, tailor his game and manage his body to adjust to the new reality he could make a success of it.

Ban

Happy for him if it wouldn't cost us top 4 or a title, for instance Everton beating us in a deciding game for the title with Rooney scoring a brace. :)

Jaybomb

Everton is a much lower standard than a Manchester United.

A part of me hopes that he doesn't do well cause that would mean another team rivalling us and it would also kind of tarnish his United legacy. I prefer when our players are synonymous with the club. If Rooney "smashes it at Everton", everyone will be calling him an Everton legend and all that rubbish.

Brightonian

Part of me wonders why we didn't do this as a loan. So if he does somehow get his shit together (with the newfound passion that comes with representing his boyhood club) then he can score against teams around us without ever lining up against us. Even if he stays at the same crap level he showed for us last season I'd say there's a huge chance he'll score against us. Ex players scoring against former clubs is such a common theme.
I'm pretty sure that's just confirmation bias.

As for the loan, other than that one benefit (keeping him from playing us), everyone seems to end up worse off. We have to continue to pay his wages. Everton suffer the ignominy of not just taking our leavings, but borrowing our leavings. And Rooney is still tied to a club where he doesn't seem to have a future.