How would you feel if Rooney smashed it at Everton?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Well your examples wont happen but i do think he'll have a good impact for them and generally do well. He had a handful of good games last season, what he really needs is that hunger back and determination to get in really good shape, and then a lot of his game would come back. Question is if he gets into really good shape though. I hope he does well though, he's a legend and I'm looking forward to him coming back for the ovation.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I've said it many times,

If all it takes for him to start banging 30+ goals (isn't likely to happen) is some motivation that means he's dicking around with us for the last 3 years.

We pay him 300k / week, made him captain, persist with his awful slump for 3 years, giving him chance after chance, and turn out the reason for his slump is just motivational?

Good for him. Smashing it at Everton and smashing it here are two very different things. It was time for him to leave here regardless of what he does at Everton next.

Of course there's no chance he'll ever be 'that' player again.

Gasolin

Delighted for him is the right answer. He chose Everton, which is a shame as I thought he would want to end his career at United, but well, he deserves to succeed at Everton, if that's still possible.

My only wish: that he doesn't score against United, but does against every other team that were in the top 5...

Green_Red

Id be delighted for him. This is the right move at the right stage of his career. If it reignites some of the passion we seen from him over the years it can only be good. Everton fans will love it to.

ricky-romeo

i hope he did well enough to get into England's 2018 world cup squad, would be a brilliant way to end his international career.

if he can lasts 2/3 years getting 10 goals a season in the league he'll do okay.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I've said it many times,

If all it takes for him to start banging 30+ goals (isn't likely to happen) is some motivation that means he's dicking around with us for the last 3 years.

We pay him 300k / week, made him captain, persist with his awful slump for 3 years, giving him chance after chance, and turn out the reason for his slump is just motivational?
It's not as simple as that. The demand and sheer expectation to perform here is harsh and unforgiving and it gives under-performing players very little room to find themselves or sort out their game. It's far more likely that a slumping player just finds himself closer and closer to the exit than it is that he'll find his feet and turn it around.

I'm sure all of the above can lead to a certain kind of acceptance and even depression of sorts, and once that happens, it's probably best for both the club and the player that they go their separate ways. 'Just motivational' covers a vast array of blips and issues that could be turned around elsewhere, and if it were the case for Rooney, he would be far from the first who has turned himself around after leaving one club for another, and he won't be the last, either.

He still has a big weight of expectation and burden of proof coming his way next season, but the spotlight on him and the scrutiny of his every action simply cannot be as intense there as it was at United. He was also just a spare piece who Jose tried to make as uncontroversial as possible whilst sidelining, here. That has to wreck confidence and probably motivation, too. I think it's also fair to say he knows what he owes to that club so within him everything will be attuned to giving it his absolute all, whether that's good enough or not, remains to be seen.

gza the genius

There's no chance it'll happen but if it does I guess I'd mostly just be pissed that he didn't bother trying here the past three years or so and then goes and turns it on for Everton.

Lowkey

will he play as a no.9? They seem really short on strikers. Surely they can't rely on Rooney to bang in the goals Lukaku provided for them. Who knows, he always proves the doubters wrong. Would not be surprised if he manages with 20+ goals in the season. But i just don't see it happening

Mcking

Imagine the scenes and banter when Rooney outscores Lukaku next season. Media will be like- Man utd were stupid to let Rooney go; Rooney still had much to offer; Rooney is a better striker than lukaku will ever be-blah blah blah.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's not as simple as that. The demand and sheer expectation to perform here is harsh and unforgiving and it gives under-performing players very little room to find themselves or sort out their game. It's far more likely that a slumping player just finds himself closer and closer to the exit than it is that he'll find his feet and turn it around.

I'm sure all of the above can lead to a certain kind of acceptance and even depression of sorts, and once that happens, it's probably best for both the club and the player that they go their separate ways. 'Just motivational' covers a vast array of blips and issues that could be turned around elsewhere, and if it were the case for Rooney, he would be far from the first who has turned himself around after leaving one club for another, and he won't be the last, either.

He still has a big weight of expectation and burden of proof coming his way next season, but the spotlight on him and the scrutiny of his every action simply cannot be as intense there as it was at United. He was also just a spare piece who Jose tried to make as uncontroversial as possible whilst sidelining, here. That has to wreck confidence and probably motivation, too. I think it's also fair to say he knows what he owes to that club so within him everything will be attuned to giving it his absolute all, whether that's good enough or not, remains to be seen.
Nah, this probably true for a player like Memphis making the first big step up from the small club (no offence to psv) to the big club, but Rooney has been the limelight of United since he was 16 years old, he was no stranger to pressure and expectation. By the time of his decline 3 years ago he was the team captain, the highest paid players in the club, won all there is to win, etc.

I'm not saying that those intangibles factors you listed isn't probable, but realistic speaking it's more than simply a matter of psychological. Rooney has not endured any traumatic experiences (not that we know off) such as Beckham red card having the whole england abusing him, Ronaldo winking, donnarumma contract gate, everything else is just normal for him there's no reason he should suddenly break down to a complete stop.

He might have his indian summer at Everton, but let's be honest there's no way he's banging 30 goals.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Nah, this probably true for a player like Memphis making the first big step up from the small club (no offence to psv) to the big club, but Rooney has been the limelight of United since he was 16 years old, he was no stranger to pressure and expectation. By the time of his decline 3 years ago he was the team captain, the highest paid players in the club, won all there is to win, etc.

I'm not saying that those intangibles factors you listed isn't probable, but realistic speaking it's more than simply a matter of psychological. Rooney has not endured any traumatic experiences (not that we know off) such as Beckham red card having the whole england abusing him, Ronaldo winking, donnarumma contract gate, everything else is just normal for him there's no reason he should suddenly break down to a complete stop.

He might have his indian summer at Everton, but let's be honest there's no way he's banging 30 goals.
There's a difference between simple pressure from a bad bit of form whilst you're still in a body that responds as you expect it to, there's something else when you're trying to find your feet with a fading body that doesn't whilst you've got 76,000 people watching your every mistake and a manager who will invariably bench you in short shrift for it.

We don't know the psychological burden the above takes on a player, but it's not hard to imagine that going from one of the superstars of the team, and the game at large, to bit part write off, is going to take a tremendous toll. So even if he is physically shot, it may well have been that he was mentally drained as well. If that's the case, you've an environment that's no good for anyone.

Red_Aaron

I'd be really pleased for him
The last couple of years has lead to a lot of people on here rewriting his whole career, forgetting what a truly magnificent player he was for us. It'd be nice if he could remind everyone of his footballing class again.

Can't see it mind, within 3 months he'll be in midfield again I reckon

AndyJ1985

He won't "smash" it because he's not a very good player anymore, which is why we gave him away for nothing. It's as pointless as asking how we'd feel if Cantona came back and scored a hattrick against Liverpool.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If he does (which I highly doubt he will), I honestly won't care much about it. Once a player leaves, I don't really care that much about the rest of his footballing career.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There's a difference between simple pressure from a bad bit of form whilst you're still in a body that responds as you expect it to, there's something else when you're trying to find your feet with a fading body that doesn't whilst you've got 76,000 people watching your every mistake and a manager who will invariably bench you in short shrift for it.

We don't know the psychological burden the above takes on a player, but it's not hard to imagine that going from one of the superstars of the team, and the game at large, to bit part write off, is going to take a tremendous toll. So even if he is physically shot, it may well have been that he was mentally drained as well. If that's the case, you've an environment that's no good for anyone.
I don't know. We shall wait and see I guess.

All the best for him and his new journey now

Zlatattack

If it happened, I'd be pleased for him. As Marcus Rashford put, people only dream of what he has achieved with us.

His last 3 years have been very poor, he's been given chance after chance, he's not hit his expected level or found himself a solid fit in another role. New beginning were the best thing all round.

montpelier

A bit amazed, probably.

Is there word coming out of Everton that they are expecting to be in around 5th or 6th or better (even) this season?

GBBQ

I'd be happy for him, he's had an amazing career so it would be a pity if it just fizzled out like it has in the past couple of seasons. A last hurrah where he scores loads of goals against our rivals would be fine with ,e

ROFLUTION

There's less pressure on him, and he's always been terrible when not having something to set his mind up for - so I think he'll do alright since its a new challenge - Ferguson had to put him on the bench and stuff to make him perform.

So: 3 goals on penalties

Marcelinho87

I find the whole legs gone thing a strange concept. There are people running ultra marathons in their 40s! Surely fitness is just a case of how hard you work, or at least a very large part of it.
1 or 2 marathons a year does not equate to 50-60 games per season for 14/15 years.

Craig Ward

I wouldn't be surprised if he has 2 or 3 very good seasons with Everton.

Rooney was at his best when he was playing with passion, hunger and desire. I think the last few seasons he lost all of that and this change back to his hometown team may just rejuvenate him.

If he stays fit and sharp, he'll do well

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I hope he does well.

Not sure I would predict it though, he looked finished last season really. He'll probably have some nice moments there but not sure I see him playing enough to get fit enough and scoring enough. It looks like they might have quite a big squad as well.