Hurricane Dorian

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
That might spare Orlando a direct hit, but if it does a slow roll up the coast over water allowing it to maintain some strength it’d be the worst case scenario for a lot of other folks to the North.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Have only stocked up on water, bread and non perishable and filled a bath tub for emergencies. I have open parking so my car is the only one in serious danger. With the new projections, it may be just 30 mph winds in Miami.

MadMike

Just nuke the fecker. Wait for it to be over Florida first though...

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Good luck to any fellow islanders in the Bahamas. Stay safe!

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Usually the main worry is flooding-I doubt the structures are built with EF4-5 scale tornado speed winds in mind. Difficult to find a place above ground to shelter from that, even here in tornado alley.

I hope most people are long gone...

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
On a better scope. There are freely moving gasses that won't hurt you. A breeze for example.

Take a million breezes going against each other and if they come down there's enough pressure to flatten a house.

Feel free to explain it better @caftards

Carolina Red

Staff
What does the pressure mean/do?
It’s like a vacuum sucking in more warm moist air. The lower the pressure, the more it sucks in, the more powerful the storm becomes.

A friend of mine just sent me a reading from the Abaco Islands showing a pressure of 907mb... Hurricane Hugo’s lowest measured pressure was 918mb... the Labor Day hurricane that hit the Keys in 1935 had a pressure of 892mb. Coincidentally, tomorrow is Labor Day.

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
What does the pressure mean/do?
It’s the most accurate measure of the intensity of the storm. Think of a whirlpool: the stronger the ‘vacuum’ in the middle, the faster and stronger the swirl because that’s where the water wants to go. If the pressure at the bottom decreases (you pull the plug or the dam opens it’s gates) the whirlpool gets even stronger and bigger because it’s all driven by pressure differential.

So here the pressure is lowest inside the eye and that’s where all the air goes and the lower the pressure inside the eye the more force exerted and hence the more wind is created (except here you have air going upwards into the low pressure area).