Hurricane Dorian

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
It’s the most accurate measure of the intensity of the storm. Think of a whirlpool: the stronger the ‘vacuum’ in the middle, the faster and stronger the swirl because that’s where the water wants to go. If the pressure at the bottom decreases (you pull the plug or the dam opens it’s gates) the whirlpool gets even stronger and bigger because it’s all driven by pressure differential.

So here the pressure is lowest inside the eye and that’s where all the air goes and the lower the pressure inside the eye the more force exerted and hence the more wind is created (except here you have air going upwards into the low pressure area).
That's what I said

Carolina Red

Staff
Current webcam from Marsh Harbour, Bahamas
(I know it shows a night image, but when you click on it you'll see the current running timestamp)

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
r/tropicalweather is a good thread to look through for anyone interested in hurricanes or even caught up in one.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Damn. I have holidays booked for Nassau in October :nervous:

I really hope mother nature spare them and it isn't as atrocious as it might be

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Miami is quiet at the minute but Deerfield is less than an hour away.

I'm driving to. Fort Lauderdale now to pick up some last minu groceries though, stupid me

Carolina Red

Staff
McMaster just ordered the whole of the SC coastline to begin evacuations at noon tomorrow. There's always the possibility that me and other coaches with CDL licenses will get called up to go down and help drive people up. That'll be a fun trip if it happens.

Carolina Red

Staff
Damn. I have holidays booked for Nassau in October :nervous:

I really hope mother nature spare them and it isn't as atrocious as it might be
Nassau was spared. You can actually watch the hurricane pass by along the horizon from the Nassau Harbor webcam.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
McMaster just ordered the whole of the SC coastline to begin evacuations at noon tomorrow. There's always the possibility that me and other coaches with CDL licenses will get called up to go down and help drive people up. That'll be a fun trip if it happens.
Yikes, that doesn’t sound pleasant. How does that work? You drive buses/vans back up?

Carolina Red

Staff
Yikes, that doesn’t sound pleasant. How does that work? You drive buses/vans back up?
Take the school district buses (which technically belong to the state) down there in a big convoy, load folks up, then drive them up here to the upstate and drop them off at shelters and schools converted into shelters.

Our district had to do that a few years ago when that hurricane flooded half the state. We had enough regular bus drivers back then to fulfill what was asked of us without coaches having to go, and just forgave the missed couple days for bus riding kids. We're at a bus driver shortage this year though.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Kemp just ordered mandatory evacuation of all Georgia counties east of I-95 starting tomorrow. Thankfully I have my place of business to crash in if shit hits the fan.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
With the upturn in disastrous cyclones and typhoons I wonder who the Christians will blame now. Gay marriage has already been blamed, so it can't be at fault this time.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
The pressure is 911 mb now and cat 5, 185 mph, moving at west at 7 mph :eek:
Now at 915 mb so getting slightly weaker. We’ll see once it moves away from the Bahamas if it intensifies again. Still a massive storm.
Awe inspiring, at least for those not affected.

Achilles McCool

I’m over on the east coast, opposite side from Billy and Florida Man.
So far, we haven’t received any of the outer feeder bands, but it’s just starting to drizzle