I am hoping we do not sign Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

Ban-worthy OP. Some people just wanna watch the world burn.

Reported.

evil_geko

I agree, I respect his achievements for United but never liked him and his huge ego. All the drama possibilities with both him and Pogba at the club, not looking forward to that.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas

I think Stan is right. We didn’t show any interest in signing him this summer. One City headline later…

But the club seems happy to spend all that money just to wave its big dick in City’s face and we weren’t winning the league this year so we’ve got to live for the moment.

Dan_F

Logically you might be right, but at the end of the day, it’s only football. If you can’t enjoy things like this without worrying about what might happen in the future, then what’s the point in watching football.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Pretty sticking-my-neck-out for my first ever thread on this site, but here goes.

Signing Ronaldo now feels like the kind of signing we should not make at this point, one that could, potentially, disrupt the dressing room climate, which seems very good and balanced right now, and one of the prime qualities of Ole's time as a manager here. Even with Bruno being from Portugal himself it will certainly do something to his role, and make him a smaller fish in the pond (and what about penalties?). Ronaldo is a player used to being a leader, to dictate stuff, to get what he wants - as Pep reportedly said, he chooses where he wants to play.

In addition to this, we have a pretty horrid record with making galactico or close-to-galactico signings, especially late in their careers. Sanchez, Scwheinsteiger, Di Maria, Falcao - to name a few.

Ronaldo obviously played here already, and was one of the best I've ever seen. But he's at a very different place in his career right now (and obviously at a very different age).

Also, I have to admit it is the kind of Disneyland we-get-who-we-want type signing that I have never been that fond of. But i get that is personal preference
I agree with the sentiment and expressed reservations myself. They'll still remain for now but football is supposed to be fun, and this is certainly that.

largelyworried

The difference between Ronaldo and those other signings is that we bought those big signings instead of having a proper team. Ronaldo is being brought in as well as having a proper team. I’d prefer a top level DM to be honest, but this isn’t the Hail Mary we’ve tried in the past.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Ronaldo will probably be the top scorer in the EPL, or at least in the top 3. He will do great things for Utd commercially. He will attract many players who will come just to bask in his glow. There is no downside for Utd. It will cap a fantastic transfer window and will increase their odds of winning the title.

spiriticon

He isn't anywhere near my first choice transfer targets but its fecking Ronaldo so you gotta try.

He's gonna teach Rashford and Greenwood a few things for a couple of years then he's gone.

His reputation is already earned here at United, he has nothing to prove. He only has to lead and guide the next generation.

Ibrahimorich

Tbh I kinda agree. Yes it will be cool etc but it means we'll have 2 centre forwards with a combined age of 70. He's going to want to start most games. Where does that leave playing time for young players? What about signing Haaland? He specifically went to Dortmund because he wanted to play. Is Ronaldo going to win us the league or the CL? I highly doubt it.

Don't think it's a good signing with the long term in mind.

Let's be honest, he never really loved the club either.

Jezpeza

I said yeesteday I wasnt going to cry that he was going to city. I think if the money is right coming here at this stage is a decent move because we have him and cavani who can stick the ball in the net for the next couple of years. There arent any world class strikers about until Haalands release clause next year.

Its not peak ronaldo but his physique puts much younger players to shame and he has undoubted quality and ability and wont need to have 4 sitters to score a goal like martial.

Whilst i don't think he'll hit the goalscoring heights he once did, i cant possibly see how its a negative for the dressing room. The players, all of them, will be in awe of him. It will be a huge lift for the whole club and with him in the team the players will believe they can win any game.

Nickelodeon

OP. Everyone secretly (or openly) agrees with you. Everyone (including you) hopes you are wrong.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Also (and I'm sure this won't be popular to bring up either) I'm sure a lot of people are still disquieted by the rape allegation against him too, with legal action still ongoing in that regard.

Adamsk7

I honestly don’t care if he’s absolutely terrible (spoiler - he won’t be), it’s not my money and nothing will take away the utter jubilation of supporters today, when he signs and when he steps out at old Trafford once more. That alone is literally worth all the money in the world to me and I’m sure most of us.

mu4c_20le

Bruno wanted him, I think I would trust someone who actually knows and played with him than some rando

Marty1968

Pretty sticking-my-neck-out for my first ever thread on this site, but here goes.

Signing Ronaldo now feels like the kind of signing we should not make at this point, one that could, potentially, disrupt the dressing room climate, which seems very good and balanced right now, and one of the prime qualities of Ole's time as a manager here. Even with Bruno being from Portugal himself it will certainly do something to his role, and make him a smaller fish in the pond (and what about penalties?). Ronaldo is a player used to being a leader, to dictate stuff, to get what he wants - as Pep reportedly said, he chooses where he wants to play.

In addition to this, we have a pretty horrid record with making galactico or close-to-galactico signings, especially late in their careers. Sanchez, Scwheinsteiger, Di Maria, Falcao - to name a few.

Ronaldo obviously played here already, and was one of the best I've ever seen. But he's at a very different place in his career right now (and obviously at a very different age).

Also, I have to admit it is the kind of Disneyland we-get-who-we-want type signing that I have never been that fond of. But i get that is personal preference
Then you my friend are ridiculous!!

DavelinaJolie

I'm not particularly keen either. Haven't been able to sign a midfielder because "have to sell to buy", despite it being a huge area of need, and now apparently happy to splash cash on a player somewhere else in the team.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Singing Ronaldo will guarantee a cup. Which cup I have no idea but we’re definitely winning something with him in the team.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I see people comparing Ronaldo to Sanchez. But what you should compare Ronaldo to is Zlatan and better.

Seveneric

Successfully signing him as an alternative to him going to City (if that was actually a possibility) is an obvious win.

But the fact that there are still obvious issues with the team that should have been sorted, but is now going to get glossed over with "bUt RoNaLdO" is a bit annoying and slightly sours it imo.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
One of our best players of all time who literally became the best player in the world playing for our club.

This is the type of thing that football is all about. I can’t even imagine the reception he will get at a full Old Trafford.

This is magic

Born2Lose

With that level of despair I can only assume the OP is a bald Martial fan.

abailey123

2 years of Ronaldo.

Greenwood will then be 22. It’s backing Greenwood also!

James Peril

Hopeless post to be honest. You compare Ronaldo with players that are not fit to lace his boots, not when they came, not even compared to the current version of Ronaldo when they peaked. You speak of disrupting the dressing room and harmony, but what exactly is football about? This lot has won absolutely nothing, they are lead by a manager that has won absolutely nothing, captained by a guy that has no idea what it feels to lift a trophy, the lack of grit and winning mentality is extremely evident.

I do not really want us to sign him either (you know, thinking ahead and before it’s viable) - but that’s for different reasons. Ronaldo is a winner, he is the winner, he will teach the squad what it’s all about. What I am against is the false hope and sudden goodbye, he is 36 years old after all. But - feck me, I’ll enjoy it while it lasts.

Let’s stop this romance about our squad and the supposed harmony. As said, they’ve won nothing and I don’t care about smiles.

slored1

Also (and I'm sure this won't be popular to bring up either) I'm sure a lot of people are still disquieted by the rape allegation against him too, with legal action still ongoing in that regard.
Yep, to be honest this is the only thing holding my total excitement back.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Signing Ronaldo now feels like the kind of signing we should not make at this point
It's a bit of a distraction from the defensive midfielder we actually need. But it's not a bad idea per se if Cavani is really going to be unavailable most of the time.

marktan

It is a risk with his age and him slowing down, could be another Alexis situation. This last year he did look a bit leggy.

We also don't need another striker but if it stops him going to City then that's the main reason I'd be in favour of the deal.

AndersB

Ban-worthy OP. Some people just wanna watch the world burn.

Reported.
I think it would be pretty sad if this, as opposed to the constant sh*itting on our players and manager that goes on all the time on this forum, led to a ban.

It's a thought, an opinion. And I am certainly open to having my mind changed. But it's not -completely- baseless either, given where our squad is and what we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.