"I can look fans in the eye again" - Moyes

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Moyes has had a torrid opening season in the Old Trafford hot seat but United's 3-0 win on Wednesday, courtesy of Robin van Persie's hat-trick, overturned a 2-0 first leg deficit to set up a quarter-final clash with holders Bayern Munich.

That came just three days after United's disappointing season plumbed new depths with a 3-0 home defeat by arch-rivals Liverpool in the Premier league - a result that raised serious questions about Moyes's position.

"In some of the games I have felt ashamed because we haven't played well enough and I have not got a team out that has got a good enough result," Moyes told a news conference on Friday.

"I think the big thing on Wednesday was that I could look at the supporters in the face after the game.

"We had given them something to shout about. There was nothing to be ashamed of about our performance."

With a top-four finish in the Premier League now looking almost impossible for United who are 12 points behind fourth-placed Manchester City, winning the Champions League is their only realistic hope of qualifying for it next season.

United are the least favoured of the eight teams left in the draw but Moyes said he was just glad to be still in the mix.

"In a lot of ways it didn't matter who I drew but I've probably drawn out the favourites," said Moyes, whose side will be at home in the first leg next month.

"They are the holders as well, so it's a tough draw but one I'm looking forward to. I've got us to the quarter-final and now the aim is to get to the semi-final.

"If you're old-fashioned you'll probably say you want to be at home in the second leg and that would be the preference but we'll just have to take it."

United will look to build on their win over Olympiakos at West Ham United on Saturday when they will be without striker Van Persie who injured his knee on Wednesday and was undergoing another scan on Friday to assess the damage.

"There is no guarantee that one good result will lead to another," Moyes said. "But you would rather have a good one than a bad one and we got a really good one in midweek.

"There have been periods this season when we've gone five or six games unbeaten and then we've drawn the next game so there have been periods when we've done it."

After the trip to West Ham United have a home derby against title-chasing Manchester City on Tuesday.
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...s-face-says-buoyant-moyes-145941396--sow.html

Good, honest, hard-working man and reason I would never abuse him. He might have got things wrong, might or might not be the ideal choice to take us back at top...time will tell all this but one thing we can be certain is, he is having sleepless nights and taking us back to top must be the only thing on his mind. The guilt and shame in his eyes due to our season has been too apparent till now. You can see it when he walks in and sheepishly waves to crowd who wish him. He definitely knows what we expect and I really hope he turns it around and prove doubters wrong because I sincerely believe that 1)he is not dumb 2) has basic intelligence needed for football manager 3)someone who is as hard working and honest in approach like him will definitely turn it around sooner rather than later.

Sorry for new thread but I posted it because reading it got me thinking how silly it is to abuse a man who didn't whore himself for this job and given the job is doing his best and there might be issues beyond those are obvious to fans.

So, let's critically analyze his decisions, tactics etc but not give him dog's abuse as some here do. If a time comes when board or club owners think he is not right choice, they will change him. Abusing a man who is working hard to succeed in a cause which we love so much is not right.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
Getting Bayern in the next round may ironically have saved Moyes' career at United (at least for the time being)

If we had played Dortmund or Atletico, Chelsea or PSG - there would have been a lot of criticism if we had been beaten. But by playing Bayern - as long as United put up a decent performance, and lose - he will avoid the same criticism simply because we can't be expected to beat Bayern.

And if United for same strange reason should manage to beat Bayern - well - no comments not needed really!

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I've got us to the quarter-final and now the aim is to get to the semi-final.

The Man Himself

You're really setting the bar high there.
I know given his baffling tactics, dithering in changing things which are not working and conservativeness has cost us but I don't think football manager job is rocket science and it is not possible he is not seeing and understanding what is wrong, something which looks obvious to us.
Why is he not able to act on it then? I don't know as I as a fan don't know exactly everything which goes on in background, so I will let decision makers like board/owners worry about it because they will be privy to more info than us and take call, whatever it is, at end of season. My point is, let's not be silly in abusing him..definitely blame the tactics etc if we think so, but not get personal in abuse, something which happens regularly about him here.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Good, honest and hardworking.

Now I'd like to know which managers we think don't work hard, aren't honest and aren't good. Also how the latter two are even relevant.

The Man Himself

So failure is his responsibility but 'job done' or something remotely positive is not?

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Jesus Christ, not this shit where we over-analyse every little word and apply meaning to it.

Maybe he was asked how he felt now that he had he got us to the quarter-final and he responded by assuming the same tense.

And anyway, he's being assigned the responsibility for taking us from 1st to 7th so he can take the responsibility for getting us to the quarter-finals, too, as far as I care.

Mauzindark

Life is unfair. Deal with it.

There will always be magnified even unjustified criticism of someone who's in the public eye. Heck even normal everyday scrubs who struggle to make a living through their lives get plenty of abuse for no fault of their own. That's the way this world is. No unicorn glitter fairytale threads are made for honest hard working blokes who struggle to make ends meet and are fired at the drop of their hat. Why is everyone so concerned about a guy who will draw more this year than most of them do in their lifetime, while being inept at his job. Besides most of the guys "abusing" Moyes are doing so figuratively and because they are frustrated with performances this season. Yes sometimes they go overboard, but they don't really mean it personally.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
3)someone who is as hard working and honest in approach like him will definitely turn it around sooner rather than later..
In films, not in the real world I'm afraid.

I don't think anyone doubts that he's a nice man and a hard worker. Pretty much everyone in football management has to be a hard worker by default. The fact we're resorting to "I don't want the nice man to be sad" as a viable reason to support a Manchester United manager says a lot about the state of us at the moment.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He also got us to 7th place. God Bless him.

The Man Himself

Good, honest and hardworking.

Now I'd like to know which managers we think don't work hard, aren't honest and aren't good. Also how the latter two are even relevant.
Not every manager has the detail study of everything from scouting to other matters done as is told about him and these are not stories which came out only after he got this job. It was well known earlier as well. Again, things can still end up not working and we may have to part ways but abusing like crazy makes us look silly.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Life is unfair. Deal with it.

There will always be magnified even unjustified criticism of someone who's in the public eye. Heck even normal everyday scrubs who struggle to make a living through their lives get plenty of abuse for no fault of their own. That's the way the world is. No unicorn glitter threads are made for honest hard working blokes who struggle to make ends meet and are fired at the drop of their hat. Why is everyone so concerned about a guy who will draw more this year than many do in their lifetime, while being inept at his job to put it mildly.
Moyes doesn't need pity or sympathy and he is not asking for it. Nor is the OP suggesting so either.

I'll tell you what though, nobody needs to hear your incessant bloody whining either.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not every manager has the detail study of everything from scouting to other matters done as is told about him and these are not stories which came out only after he got this job. It was well known earlier as well. Again, things can still end up not working and we may have to part ways but abusing like crazy makes us look silly.
There's barely anyone abusing. There's people get carried away and criticising irrelevant stuff for sure.

It's really unimportant how many hours he spends watching other teams play. It's about how high quality a job he can do. Sir Alex worked hard too. Just because he didn't actively take part (at least in recent years) in training it doesn't mean he didn't work hard. More importantly, he did quality work.

Mauzindark

Moyes doesn't need pity or sympathy and he is not asking for it. Nor is the OP suggesting so either.

I'll tell you what though, nobody needs to hear your incessant bloody whining either.
Don't like it then don't read it ? Who's forcing it down your throat ?

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
He is just such a crap talker. He likes to state the obvious but always with a negative slant on it.

"There is no guarantee that one good result will lead to another," Moyes said. "But you would rather have a good one than a bad one and we got a really good one in midweek.

What is with all the 'I' this and 'I' that too?

An Irish Red

Your list of praiseworthy behaviours is ridiculous. So far we have; he's not dumb, he has basic intelligence, he has done a bit of scouting and he's not a liar.

Not the best compliments like.

The Man Himself

Exactly. I don't think we need to pity him, that's not the point here. It is tough job and if he fails, he fails. Some of the reaction which are on the line of, "he is out to destroy this club," even if not explicitly said so, irritates me though.

devilish

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...s-face-says-buoyant-moyes-145941396--sow.html

Good, honest, hard-working man and reason I would never abuse him. He might have got things wrong, might or might not be the ideal choice to take us back at top...time will tell all this but one thing we can be certain is, he is having sleepless nights and taking us back to top must be the only thing on his mind. The guilt and shame in his eyes due to our season has been too apparent till now. You can see it when he walks in and sheepishly waves to crowd who wish him. He definitely knows what we expect and I really hope he turns it around and prove doubters wrong because I sincerely believe that 1)he is not dumb 2) has basic intelligence needed for football manager 3)someone who is as hard working and honest in approach like him will definitely turn it around sooner rather than later.

Sorry for new thread but I posted it because reading it got me thinking how silly it is to abuse a man who didn't whore himself for this job and given the job is doing his best and there might be issues beyond those are obvious to fans.

So, let's critically analyze his decisions, tactics etc but not give him dog's abuse as some here do. If a time comes when board or club owners think he is not right choice, they will change him. Abusing a man who is working hard to succeed in a cause which we love so much is not right.
Good, honest and hardworking - is he a San Bernand dog? He's not paid to be good and honest. SAF himself wasn't none of them. He's there to win and every manager at this level is hardworking.

I feel sorry for him. He seems to be a likely chap. The problem is that he's ridiculously out of depth.

PS next time he feel ashamed he should back it up with a resignation letter.

devilish

Exactly. I don't think we need to pity him, that's not the point here. It is tough job and if he fails, he fails. Some of the reaction which are on the line of, "he is out to destroy this club," even if not explicitly said so, irritates me though.
That's been said tongue to cheek. Its evident that he's not out to destroy the only big club which was stupid enough to give him a chance at the highest level. His career is at stake.

The Man Himself

Your list of praiseworthy behaviours is ridiculous. So far we have; he's not dumb, he has basic intelligence, he has done a bit of scouting and he's not a liar.

Not the best compliments like.
...and? Did I say we should keep him in job for 6 years irrespective of how team performs? It is his responsibility in the end, it is obvious to everyone. Only point is, let's not be silly cnuts in this and be more level-headed. SAF and Bobby won't let their ego come in way of future of this club, not in times where money is so important in game and that money comes with staying near top. Let, as a fan, do what we can and analyze how near/far he is from putting things right and let the decision makers take decision rather than driving agenda against manager based on limited knowledge we have about what goes around in club's on-field related operations everyday.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
When a man single handedly run your beloved club to the ground, he definitely will get dogs abuse. He didn't have to fix things that weren't broken. He had frozen out good players while way less talented ones get game after game. He is stubborn, his team selections and subs fails to make sense most of the time. About 7 months in to a new season, he still isn't able to make a group of title winning team, to play good football or produce good results. The midtable mentality of going in to a game not to lose still continues. He is a manager who is clearly out of his depth, who doesn't seem to have any idea about football in this era, who sticks with his 'Stone Age Football', and has never worked with a group of players of this quality, and it shows.

We are a team who risk it all to win a game. I won't be surprised when he will 'Try to make it difficult' for Bayern and fails miserably.

Being just a nice guy, you won't last in a competitive business. Unless you're well in with people on the top. And even that wont help him if he keeps on producing bad results. For the sake of this club, I hope he turns it around.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
We only beat Olympiakos. That performance on Wednesday is what you'd normally expect from United at home against a clearly inferior opponent. Why is Moyes and his band of sympathisers getting carried away? This imo is a false dawn just like when we beat awful teams like Palace and Cardiff and everyone was talking about turning our season around.

Top coaches like Mourinho, Guardiola, Ancelotti, Hiddink, Capello, Van Gaal don't get top jobs because they are honest or likeable or from a certain part of Scotland. Their ability to get their teams to be competitive at the highest level is what got them to Milan, Real, Barca, Bayern etc. I swear we are the only top team in Europe where things like honesty, being likeable are used to defend a manager's record.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I sincerely hope that Moyes comes up with better team talks than the depressingly dour banality that he serves up in his press conferences.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Whatever Moyes is or is not--not sure anything he says in any interview provides much of a window into his soul. Seems like the OP presents a non-sequitir: quoting pretty anodyne comments from a press conference to conclude Moyes is a good, honest and hardworking guy. I'm sure he is-but that doesn't insulate him from criticism.

Regarding the tone of some posts: this is an internet forum, not the Harvard faculty club. It's bawdy and irreverent-and harmless. I'm pretty sure Moyes doesn't read these posts-and even if he did my guess is that he'd (probably with some merit) think we're a bunch of amateurs.

devilish

We only beat Olympiakos. That performance on Wednesday is what you'd normally expect from United at home against a clearly inferior opponent. Why is Moyes and his band of sympathisers getting carried away? This imo is a false dawn just like when we beat awful teams like Palace and Cardiff and everyone was talking about turning our season around.

Top coaches like Mourinho, Guardiola, Ancelotti, Hiddink, Capello, Van Gaal don't get top jobs because they are honest or likeable or from a certain part of Scotland. Their ability to get their teams to be competitive at the highest level is what got them to Milan, Real, Barca, Bayern etc. I swear we are the only top team in Europe where things like honesty, being likeable are used to defend a manager's record.
He's so desperate for some recognition that he's portraying this win as some kind of fantastic achievement. What he's not saying is that we shouldn't have 2-0 down against Olympiakos in the first place.

MoskvaRed

Ridiculous thread. We all know Moyes is a good guy and works hard. That does not mean he does not get criticism for hugely underachieving with the players at his disposal. And, apart from the odd personal reference to his looks or hair colour, I have not seen much on here in the way of personal abuse - mainly it is a mixture of sadness and frustration that we are repeating the mistakes of 45 years ago.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He's like a San Quentin god.

devilish

someone posted this shit on my facebook page. He may be good and hardworking but he's definitely not respected by our rival fans.

The Man Himself

Whatever Moyes is or is not--not sure anything he says in any interview provides much of a window into his soul. Seems like the OP presents a non-sequitir: quoting pretty anodyne comments from a press conference to conclude Moyes is a good, honest and hardworking. I'm sure he is-but that doesn't insulate him from criticism.

Regarding the tone of some posts: this is an internet forum, not the Harvard faculty club. It's bawdy and irreverent-and harmless. I'm pretty sure Moyes doesn't read these posts-and even if he did my guess is that he'd (probably with some merit) think we're a bunch of amateurs.
Last para of yours is what it is all about. Little bit of sanity and maturity in analyzing topics, that is all I am expecting, something which will make discussions interesting instead of just being whiningfest.

Heardy

Good, honest and hardworking - is he a San Bernand dog? He's not paid to be good and honest. SAF himself wasn't none of them. He's there to win and every manager at this level is hardworking.

I feel sorry for him. He seems to be a likely chap. The problem is that he's ridiculously out of depth.

PS next time he feel ashamed he should back it up with a resignation letter.
*St. Bernard