"I can look fans in the eye again" - Moyes

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I've got us to the quarter-final and now the aim is to get to the semi-final.
To be fair that stood out to me too. I may be wrong but I can't help but think that it was anyone but him that got us through that round. And he can feck off from looking me in the eye too.

Lu Tze

You are right, Moyes is a honest, hard-working man and shouldn't be personally abused.
Except that is what half of the FF's has degenerated to. It is making the forums unreadable - because the general discourse over Moyes is no longer reasoned, or constructed, it's just vitriol.

Lu Tze

From a newbie who makes a good point;

where people have gone nuts about 'I've got us quote'
As can be seen in this video Moyes doesn't say "I've got us to the quarterfinal.." after talking about the draw.. he says this later on in context about his lack of experience in the CL.. crucially, he says I've got MYSELF not 'us' ..

It would be great if you could please bring this to attention in the thread. This might not change their attitude but even still it would be nice to see the mindless bashing about that :)quote stop.
Maybe you folks should watch the interview and view things in context before spouting off. It might serve you better.

Relevant question is @ 3.05

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He is just such a crap talker. He likes to state the obvious but always with a negative slant on it.

"There is no guarantee that one good result will lead to another," Moyes said. "But you would rather have a good one than a bad one and we got a really good one in midweek.

What is with all the 'I' this and 'I' that too?
This approach is also reflected in his type of teams aka Everton. Defensive approach.

Skills

Snitch
Sounded like he said 'we've got myself to the quarter finals'. Think he was referring to the people he got help from.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Maybe you folks should watch the interview and view things in context before spouting off. It might serve you better.

You'd think people would realise that the papers often take quotes out of context. I guess that doesn't help the mindless Moyes bashing though.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
You are right, Moyes is a honest, hard-working man and shouldn't be personally abused. I am also sure it is tearing him apart how poorly we are playing this year. However, it shouldn't stop us from offering constructed criticism. The way United have played this season just isn't good enough. It was felt by many when Moyes was hired that he wasn't up for the job and he hasn't shown enough to convince that he ever will be.
Definitely. Let's analyze his tactics and criticize if needed but maintain bit of sanity instead of making it sound silly. Reason I am saying this is, the negativity can spread all too quickly in situations like this and it will come to a point when we will start doubting every little thing he does or says. In fact, it is happening already.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

Nice. I hadnt watched interview but knew those quotes about 'I' were out of context. This refers to point I made in post above as well that this negativity is clouding our judgement to the point where people only see something bad in everything he says or does.

Gladiator

I've actually often thought United lack a press secretary. All big clubs should have them, and have regular press conference training for the manager/players - as politicians do.
we have a press secretary. when rooneygate was going on taht was very clear

The Red Thinker

I know you guys have read this over and over again, but I'll join in anyway.

When the team loses, it's all his fault. When the team wins, it's not his achievement? He is just as deserved of praise as is the team. He made bold calls in bringing back Giggs and playing Welbeck on the left on a potentially disastrous night.

He is allowed to say 'I' as well 'we' with equal weight, in my opinion.

Gladiator

for @pocco :

United legend Peter Schmeichel says David Moyes has been let down by a handful of players who are not pulling their weight - and has predicted those stars will be given the boot at the end of the season.

The retired goalkeeper told the M.E.N he continues to support beleaguered bossMoyes ‘100 per cent’ and said he was confident he could still turn around the Reds’ fortunes.

But he blasted a group of players for letting down their new manager and the club - and called on Moyes to be given time to succeed.

“Anybody going into a job at that place needs time,” said the 50-year-old Dane, who spent eight seasons at Old Trafford.

“Obviously he is supposed to be leading everyone at the club but it will take time for him to get to that point.

“I am 100 per cent behind David Moyes and I think from what he has done so far he has done really well.”

He did not name the players he believes are not pulling their weight, but added: “I think Moyes has been let down by some players and I think we will not be seeing those players back next season.”

Schmeichel’s words echo those of Sir Alex Ferguson at the weekend, when he urged fans to stand by his successor.

Sir Alex, who hand-picked Moyes to take the reins after his retirement, steered the club to a record 20th league title last year.

But they are currently sitting at seventh place in the Premier League after a disappointing season.

“When we had bad times here, the club stood by me, all my staff stood by me, the players stood by me,” Ferguson told fans.

“Your job now is to stand by our new manager. That is important.”

SirAF

Ageist
Fecking Moyes - I badly want to see him succeed!

Here's hoping that he can get in quite a few quality players that will play for him in the summer.

Mersault

When the team loses, it's all his fault. When the team wins, it's not his achievement? He is just as deserved of praise as is the team. He made bold calls in bringing back Giggs and playing Welbeck on the left on a potentially disastrous night.

As far as I'm concerned the manager is responsible for results. Good or bad. Given the context, it wasn't that bad. But no, I don't think he can switch at will between "I" and "we". If you take ownership of the positives you should also take ownership of the negatives. Moot point perhaps, given that's not really what went down.

binary bot

Not the case, half the team have been labelled not good enough since Moyes has come in. Players that all supposedly had bright futures under SAF all have doubts surrounding their future now.

mancan92

For me I just don't feel that game was won by moyes. It was just down to players performing to their ability irrespective of moyes. They knew this was their last important game of the season and that was clearly the driving force. Let's be honest we were very lucky and the game could have gone either way the tactics weren't any different and the actual performance wasn't either but our important players showed up. That's why I just don't think that result was much to do with moyes at all.

Mersault

For me I just don't feel that game was won by moyes. It was just down to players performing to their ability irrespective of moyes. They knew this was their last important game of the season and that was clearly the driving force. Let's be honest we were very lucky and the game could have gone either way the tactics weren't any different and the actual performance wasn't either but our important players showed up. That's why I just don't think that result was much to do with moyes at all.
I agree that there were a number of instances where Olympiakos - shit as they are - could and should have put the tie to bed. But Moyes did decide to go with Giggs, Welbeck and Tony and they all had rather good games. I think Moyes had as much to do with us winning that game as he had with everything 7months prior...

Gladiator

well the team selection was (i.e. starting giggs) so got to give him that. all in all our goals came from a pk, a good pass after bouncing off the defender back into rooney's path and a freekick.

mancan92

I agree that there were a number of instances where Olympiakos - shit as they are - could and should have put the tie to bed. But Moyes did decide to go with Giggs, Welbeck and Tony and they all had rather good games. I think Moyes had as much to do with us winning that game as he had with everything 7months prior...
Fair enough. He did pick a team that many disagreed with but managed to prove many wrong. But for me I didn't see much different from previous performances other than a few players playing on personal motivation. We weren't fluid or particularly creative just more clinical.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yep. Seems like he always gets graded on a curve. So-if we get crushed it'll be-what do you expect-United's squad is so much worse than Bayern's. If it's a close loss-it'll be he got the team to compete against a powerhouse.

Sort of like a microcosm of his career at Everton-he was in a no lose situation. Lose-not his fault: Everton had no money to build its squad. Finish about 6 or so-gets credit for over-achieving against bigger teams.
I don't think that's how it is at all. He should be getting results in line with the club he is at. We're not Everton. We have some top top players. Everton absolutely didn't and still don't. And I don't expect such a lowering of expectations either. People shouldn't judge his performances by a "poor little United" perspective. We're a huge club with huge recent success.

NoLogo

well the team selection was (i.e. starting giggs) so got to give him that. all in all our goals came from a pk, a good pass after bouncing off the defender back into rooney's path and a freekick.
To be honest I thought at the start that fielding Giggs would be a huge mistake but Moyes got it right with this decision there is little doubt about it. When I saw his name on the team sheet I thought "Of feck they gonna put pressure on Giggs and our whole build up will be fecked and they will just run past him." They didn't though because they decided to sit deep and Giggs had the space to pick out passes and punish them.

Gladiator

To be honest I thought at the start that fielding Giggs would be a huge mistake but Moyes got it right with this decision there is little doubt about it. When I saw his name on the team sheet I thought "Of feck they gonna put pressure on Giggs and our whole build up will be fecked and they will just run past him." They didn't though because they decided to sit deep and Giggs had the space to pick out passes and punish them.
yeah exactly. bayern wont be so naive.

LonelyFire

Really? I predicted (im sure many others too) 2 hours before game he would play and would be best on the park. It will get spun as an inspired selection from Moyes, but in reality, was a player determined to prove a point after a few "disagreements" behind closed doors.

Also gave giggs an opportunity to show the owners he can command this team....just in case they are considering letting Moyes go.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
I don't think that's how it is at all. He should be getting results in line with the club he is at. We're not Everton. We have some top top players. Everton absolutely didn't and still don't. And I don't expect such a lowering of expectations either. People shouldn't judge his performances by a "poor little United" perspective. We're a huge club with huge recent success.
I agree. I'm speculating as to the reactions among Moyes supporters-who've already rationalized this year's poor performances as due to factors beyond Moyes's control.

acnumber9

He made the right choices for the team selection but once again he allowed the team to drop deep when the job was 'done'. A very dangerous tactic.

binary bot
Like who?
Not my opinions but Jones, Smalling, Evans, Rafael, Cleverley, Welbeck have all had a lot more questions raised about their futures, older players too but they're just regarded as being past it. There's no doubt that Moyes has taken a lot of flak but the players have taken a lot too, especially in the media - not that it isn't warranted.

acnumber9

No he didn't. He was screaming at them to push up the pitch but they just didn't. It's happened a few times this season. The players seem to shit it and sit back.
It's his job to have the players follow his instructions. It's happened every time we've had a lead and his Everton team did exactly the same. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

elisha27

Moyes is fast overtaking Pardew as the manager most likely to use the fans for his personal advantage. In every interview I see it's like he's this spokesman for supporter opinion, bleating about what we're supposedly thinking or feeling, or he's apologising to us or praising us, as though really he's doing it all "for the supporters". It's such a desperately transparent way of managers constructing favour for themselves when their job performance cannot stand scrutiny.

His observation that we 'have something to shout about' after getting past the mighty Olympiakos is so unbelievably mid-table.

Comsmit

Moyes is fast overtaking Pardew as the manager most likely to use the fans for his personal advantage. In every interview I see it's like he's this spokesman for supporter opinion, bleating about what we're supposedly thinking or feeling, or he's apologising to us or praising us, as though really he's doing it all "for the supporters". It's such a desperately transparent way of managers constructing favour for themselves when their job performance cannot stand scrutiny.

His observation that we 'have something to shout about' after getting past the mighty Olympiakos is so unbelievably mid-table.
He's totally ramped this up in the last few weeks since the Olympiacos debacle. I do think the club have probably cajoled him into some of it, sensing that the tide was turning in terms of supporter confidence. The thing is he supporters don't need the manager to tell them how they are feeling, they just want improvement.

The latest comments actually undermine him more in my view, he's making himself look very vulnerable attempting to encourage sentimentality amongst frustrated fans. People don't want sob stories they want someone who at he very least projects outward confidence.