I know it hurts but....

stubie

It hurts but there have been worst periods

Anyone remember those 2 weeks in October 1996

0-5 newcastle
3-6 southampton
0-1 fenerbahce (bye bye 40 year old unbeaten record at ot)
1-2 chelsea

Stretch

I remember that run. It was still the worst run of form I've seen from us. Again, it still doesn't ease the pain of this result and our performance.

Ole'sbodyguard

Yesterday was abit like the Dippers 4-1.

We deserved to lose but the score was inflated hugely by being down to ten men and the last three goals were conceded in a freak time-frame.

We did not look likely to get back into it after the sending off but we were not five goals worse than City.

One of thoese games, I'm afraid.

However, a defeat was coming and before anyone starts about the central midfield we first and foremost have to get our solidity back, the back four needs to get back to doing the basics and we have to get back into the mindset of defending as a team. Basel was a warning of what this could lead to and yesterday is the pay off for not heeding that warning.

Ole'sbodyguard

It hurts but there have been worst periods

Anyone remember those 2 weeks in October 1996

0-5 newcastle
3-6 southampton
0-1 fenerbahce (bye bye 40 year old unbeaten record at ot)
1-2 chelsea
Remember these set of results.

You knew it was a freak period and that we were still the best side in the league. The Newcastle and Southampton games were the only ones we deserved to lose and the Southampton game was a very odd game. Newcastle was one of those hammerings we tend to get after going unbeaten for a while(like Chelsea in 99 and yesterday).

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Christ.

That really is remarkable. Imagine the reaction on here if we went on such a run now!

Stretch

We deserved to lose but the score was inflated hugely by being down to ten men and the last three goals were conceded in a freak time-frame.

We did not look likely to get back into it after the sending off but we were not five goals worse than City.

However, a defeat was coming and before anyone starts about the central midfield we first and foremost have to get our solidity back, the back four needs to get back to doing the basics and we have to get back into the mindset of defending as a team. Basel was a warning of what this could lead to and yesterday is the pay off for not heeding that warning.
Yeah, our defending has been and was horrid yesterday. I mean even the first goal, we were just allowing City all kinds of time and space on the ball. No closing down. Nobody marking Balotelli. It was a rough day at the office. We had no defensive organisation. I know this is knee-jerk but how I would love CQ back the club.

Devilton

It's not that we lost...we've lost to lesser teams before. It was the manner of defeat that hurts.

Frankly I had a feeling we would lose the game because our form in the last few games has been dodgy while City came in with some confidence and a point to prove. But to get blown away like we did was frankly shocking. The midfield was overrun so often and with such ease and the likes of Rio and Evra performance was so poor that you have to wonder what sort of damage this will do for the rest of the season.

So yes, it's only 3 points lost...but it's a big 3 points when you take into account how high our objectives for a season usually are and the strength of the opposition we will have to face to reach them.

Stretch

It's not that we lost...we've lost to lesser teams before. It was the manner of defeat that hurts.

Frankly I had a feeling we would lose the game because our form in the last few games has been dodgy while City came in with some confidence and a point to prove. But to get blown away like we did was frankly shocking. The midfield was overrun so often and with such ease and the likes of Rio and Evra performance was so poor that you have to wonder what sort of damage this will do for the rest of the season.

So yes, it's only 3 points lost...but it's a big 3 points when you take into account how high our objectives for a season usually are and the strength of the opposition we will have to face to reach them.
fecking This.

wr8_utd

:'(
It's just the 9th game of the season which is why it doesn't really hurt all that much. Sure losing to City makes you feel like shit but there have been loads of defeats which have hurt more.

Robbie Boy

Losing a match that we have played well in - is one thing. But it is how we lost the game yesterday that is the most disappointing thing. It shows just how far City have come and also showed up plenty of weaknesses in our team. All in all it is bitterly disappointing, the whole thing.

Stretch

It's just the 9th game of the season which is why it doesn't really hurt all that much. Sure losing to City makes you feel like shit but there have been loads of defeats which have hurt more.
I think it has been mentioned in the thread that it was not the loss that hurt, it was the manner of the loss that hurts.

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
It's the worst defeat/performance I have ever witnessed from United and this will be rammed down our throats until the day we die.

The 5-1 in 1989 was a shocker but we avenged that in 1994. We willl NEVER beat them by 6 on their own patch.

I can handle getting outplayed and outclassed by Barcelona in European Cup Finals but losing to those cnuts in that manner, rolling over and giving up ffs, is nothing short of disgusting.

As for quoting the run of defeats (Newcastle, Southampton, Fenerbache & Chelsea) that has absolutely feck ALL on what happened yesterday. It doesn't even register.

The 4-1 v the dippers - feck ALL.

That game yesterday will be in our minds forever. And cITEH will rub our fecking noses in it every fecking day of their lives.

We gave up ffs! I have never seen a United side roll over like that. Absolutely embarrassing

wr8_utd

:'(
I think it has been mentioned in the thread that it was not the loss that hurt, it was the manner of the loss that hurts.
The last 3 goals just went by in a blur. We kept going forward and left place so it wasn't that surprising that they punished us. It wasn't like they comprehensively outplayed us . That one man advantage and our inability to sit back even when 4-1 down made the scoreline look as bad as it is.

The defeats to Lille and Benfica in 2005 and the 3-1 vs Chelsea at OT the year when Ruud scored were harder to take because it felt like our team was not even close to competing that time. Right now our team is fine and I'm sure we'll bounce back which is why this City defeat last night doesn't hurt all that much still.

LLMU

It hurts very much no matter what.
All we need is to pick our self up and go on a 10 games winning run from now on.
That will at least make me forget about yesterday

Stretch

The last 3 goals just went by in a blur. We kept going forward and left place so it wasn't that surprising that they punished us. It wasn't like they comprehensively outplayed us . That one man advantage and our inability to sit back even when 4-1 down made the scoreline look as bad as it is.

The defeats to Lille and Benfica in 2005 and the 3-1 vs Chelsea at OT the year when Ruud scored were harder to take because it felt like our team was not even close to competing that time. Right now our team is fine and I'm sure we'll bounce back which is why this City defeat last night doesn't hurt all that much still.
I admire your optimism regarding what happened in the 2nd half yesterday. For me, we simply gave up. We had no mettle, no fight, no heart. We just lied there, waiting to be kicked even further.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It hurts now but... thank goodness it wasn't Hargreaves making mincemeat of our midfield and defence. City also missed a trick by not being able to bring him on with five minutes to go.

MUFCgal

This. Teams lose games, we lose games. Yes, it's the manner in which we lost. To concede 6 goals at HOME against your local rivals is just beyond a joke.

If we'd got beaten by a freak single goal, but to get literally knocked for six :houllier:

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
.... However, a defeat was coming and before anyone starts about the central midfield we first and foremost have to get our solidity back, the back four needs to get back to doing the basics and we have to get back into the mindset of defending as a team. Basel was a warning of what this could lead to and yesterday is the pay off for not heeding that warning.
Spot on. That was the worst defending I had ever seen from United under SAF. Worse still we had seen the warning signs vs Basel.

grahamo

the last time I remember United conceding 6 was v Ipswich way back around 1980. I was around 12. It could have been more except Gary bailey saved a couple of penalties. that was painful. Now I can go to the pub and drown my sorrows. :) which I did all day yesterday. It helped me to forget and now only my head hurts.
It could be worse, I could be a liverpool fan!:devil:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We were lucky too many times, yesterday it came to an end and I hope its a serious wake up call

TOM_H

Spot on

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
the last time I remember United conceding 6 was v Ipswich way back around 1980. I was around 12. It could have been more except Gary bailey saved a couple of penalties. that was painful. Now I can go to the pub and drown my sorrows. :) which I did all day yesterday. It helped me to forget and now only my head hurts.
It could be worse, I could be a liverpool fan!:devil:
We let in 6 at The Dell in the mid 90's

Kelvin

the 2 CL final loss to barca was far worse and more gutting, we lost 2 great chances to win the cup :(

Agent Red

The one hope I have is that the 4-1 dippers game doesn't get mentioned that often. The reason for that though is probably that even they know it's all they've got and that they're battling for 4th while we're winning titles.

Unfortunately this isn't the case with City, and if they go on to win the league this year or next, they'll probably hold up yesterday's result as the main dynamo behind it, but if we can go on to win the league from here it will be much easier to brush off the memories of yesterday.

What has our biggest victory over City been? Perhaps that will provide some comfort in the meantime.

United Fan 101

Holds a Ph.D. in Football
I've been supporting this club since 1968 and the pain I am in now, I can honestly say is among the worst I have ever felt associated with this club. Very sore, as bad as I've felt in a long while. Probably compounded by the fact my two young lads are distraught, they can't believe it.

They can't grasp the result, nor the magnitude of it. Really bad, words don't describe it.

The older of the two said "it's alright dad, we've got Sir Alex - he'll get us out of it, we'll come ... you'll see. we'll still be champions".

I 110% agree. You know the part that killed me though? The point of realisation where I said "feck ... feck."

When that man leaves this club, it's very probable that we'll slide down the table into a bit of mediocrity for a while. That's no slight on anyone, it just pays testament to the great man. We could be in for a turbulent period when he leaves - not that it's the end of the world, what I've already seen won't be topped in terms of how bad it may be, but after the better part of 2 decades at the top, it could be nearing a finish. Maybe not so much a finish, but a gradual decline.

I have no doubt we'll get back up and Sir Alex will lead us to glory, yet, but it's post-Fergie that has me very worried.

What did he say about the best teams, and cycles etc. etc.?

Could be very relevant.

Sad day.

It could be knee jerk, but a quick look at my previous posts says I'm not one to jump the gun (that comes with experience) but it's raised a little more than cause for concern.

I just really hope Sir Alex stays for a good few years yet and leaves us in the best position he can (no doubt) - just hoping that position is enough for the next manager to come in and build on.

In times gone by, potential obstacles and challengers were easily dismissed because we all knew Sir Alex would just keep chipping away and eventually come back. It's gotten to the stage where he may not have a whole lot long left and thus the doubt arises on how we will fare once he calls it a day, even if he temporarily does lead us to glory again.

Big challenges ahead, both in the short-term and longer term.

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
Seems like some of you just don't get it or care enough. The games people are talking about here are nothing matches!

We witnessed cITEH putting SIX past us yesterday on our own patch. It doesn't get any worse than this ffs!

Football isn't all about winning trophies. Well, obviously it is for some.
Where the feck was the pride and passion yesterday? It was a fecking disgrace and if you can't see that, I feel sorry for you!

Lille & Benfica? feck OFF. I'd take any of those teams putting 6 past us over Man fecking City

RvN#10

Thank heavens we only lost 3 points and bragging rights. Imagine if that was final of a competition or the match to determine who won the league this year.....
Fletch: No-one wants to lose by the margin we did today, but you’ve always got to look at positives and say you can lose by that score or lose 1-0 and it’s still the same amount of points [to lose].

Exactly. And its not even November yet.

United Fan 101

Holds a Ph.D. in Football
No doubt it's bigger than 3 points.

Anyone who says different doesn't understand the dynamics of football.

That's not being a top red, that's just the facts.

RvN#10

No doubt it's bigger than 3 points.

Anyone who says different doesn't understand the dynamics of football.

That's not being a top red, that's just the facts.
Yes, big psychological impact, I know, but by no means does it decide the title.

Sally Cinnamon

the 2 CL final loss to barca was far worse and more gutting, we lost 2 great chances to win the cup :(
What the flying feck? Yesterday was the fecking worst. It was even worse than the 4-1 against Liverpool. Liverpool was a poorer team than ourselves somehow hammering us 4-1 in a game were they didn't do much else. Yesterday was a fecking embarrassment, they absolutely fecking destroyed us. I'm just surprised it was only 6.

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
Definitely the worst I've ever felt after a game.

1989 was bad when they dicked us 5-1 but we got that back in 1994. We'll never claw this one back and we'll never hear the end of it.

I can handle Barcelona beating us in a final. But those cnuts? At home? I will never, ever witness a more gutless performance.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Against Barca the team tried at least but the opponent was a lot better.Yesterday, apart from one or two, it seemed that the effort wasn't there.

Stretch

Yes, big psychological impact, I know, but by no means does it decide the title.
You still don't get it. It's not about the title, it's about pride. It's about giving your everything for that jersey. Man City put 6 past United on our own patch. Our players gave up. They didn't fight, there was no heart.

It wasn't even the fact that they won the match that hurts so much. It was the comprehensive beating which will no doubt linger for a while still to come that hurt me deeply.

And if you saw/read SAF's response, you'd see and understand just how much that hurt.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What hurts more from the players' perspective ? To lose against an opponent which was clearly better than you or to lose the match without "really" trying to fight ?