I Now Have Nothing But Outright Contempt For Van Gaal And The Board

Rednotdead

A competitive environment where he would have no competition once he arrives. Just strange how people cannot realise whether the competition is due to teams being equally strong or equally weak.
Tell me, what happened to the competition of this league last year? An average team both tactically and in terms of quality lost a grand total of three games entire season, and every man and his dog knew who would win the league two months in.
That is what it takes to reduce the competition over here. A bunch of Hondas can keep on overtaking each other for however long they want but they cannot catch a Ferrari, period.
You're in for as big a shock as he is.

Rednotdead

Back to square one, with the journey comprising of nothing but MOTDesque revisionist propaganda.

Answer the question please.
I gave you my reasoning, you don't accept it and I don't accept yours.

We disagree. Leave it at that.

Keenst

It doesn't really matter how much you can spend, City already has one of the best squads in the league and it will only get better with the arrival of Pep. What exactly are others achieving in comparison to that with all the money? We're possibly the deepest pockets in the league and playing with a teenager as our best attacker. English clubs are getting all the TV money and yes there are teams like Leicester getting in on the act, but look at the league at the moment.

Jose pretty much showed what a top manager with a good squad can do, he steamrolled the league last year, so will Pep. The standard is pretty low at the moment, with everyone struggling in some way or another, throw a manager of the calibre of Pep or Ancelotti into this especially with the freedom of creating their own squad and it's pretty easy, again watch last season.
You might think this sounds odd but for me Guardiola hasn't proven himself to be such a great manager yet. Yaya's agent might have been going a bit too far when he said even his granddad could have won the league with those Bayern and Barca teams but i do agree with the sentiment. We'll see what he can do when he arrives but until then I wouldn't be so certain they'll dominate.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You hit on something there. There is an apathy I have now when watching mufc games. I just know it's going to be the same old dull lifeless shit.

I'm just waiting for LVG to go so we can start again, I just hope it isn't with Giggs because if pep goes to city he will take them to the next level we will get slaughtered.
Tbh, recent personal events have also affected what I see as important in life and what is futile. When everything is considered, Man Utd should not affect the way it can (I mean negatively of course). I want the club and the football to be a source of enjoyment because many things aren't going on well in my life and it is frustrating that it just bores me the way it does.

Moby

Dick
You might think this sounds odd but for me Guardiola hasn't proven himself to be such a great manager yet. Yaya's agent might have been going a bit too far when he said even his granddad could have won the league with those Bayern and Barca teams but i do agree with the sentiment. We'll see what he can do when he arrives but until then I wouldn't be so certain they'll dominate.
Yes, I can see people agreeing with the sentiment that anyone could have won the league with the team which Guardiola created, including Guardiola himself.

Anyone could have won the league with Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo in attack, Giggs, Scholes and Carrick in midfield and Rio, Vidic, Evra and VDS in defense, including Fergie.

Anyone could have defended the EC with Maldini, Baresi in defense, Rijkaard, Ancelotti, Gullit in midfield and van Basten up front, including Sacchi.

And anyway, can you look at the premise here? Guardiola will have to do even less work than he did at Barca or Bayern. City already won the league twice in last four years, and are favourites this year, have truckloads to spend still. So if you think Pep knows how to win a league with an already quality team, then all the more reason to believe he will do that again with City, isn't it? He's not really taking on Aston Villa here is he.

Member 5225

Which only makes sense if there's a guaranteed (or high probability) chance that the change will bring success/prevent failure. This is the way I see it: Currently there's 60% chance LVG gets us at least top 4 this year - let's put entertainment issues aside for now. Any managerial change made must therefore guarantee similar or better probability of success else there's no point in changing.
Mourinho IMHO

Keenst

Yes, I can see people agreeing with the sentiment that anyone could have won the league with the team which Guardiola created, including Guardiola himself.

Anyone could have won the league with Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo in attack, Giggs, Scholes and Carrick in midfield and Rio, Vidic, Evra and VDS in defense, including Fergie.

Anyone could have defended the EC with Maldini, Baresi in defense, Rijkaard, Ancelotti, Gullit in midfield and van Basten up front, including Sacchi.

And anyway, can you look at the premise here? Guardiola will have to do even less work than he did at Barca or Bayern. City already won the league twice in last four years, and are favourites this year, have truckloads to spend still. So if you think Pep knows how to win a league with an already quality team, then all the more reason to believe he will do that again with City, isn't it? He's not really taking on Aston Villa here is he.
You could well be right, mate but It's your absolute certainty that's perplexing me. No one knows how well he'll do, chances are he'll do very well but surely there's room for doubt. It's going to be interesting to see anyway and I certainly hope he fails to live up to the expectations.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I feel a sense of numbness and inevitability about United at the moment. A spark needs to re-ignited. I'm sure feelings would have been much worse had the league was not equally dire and Liverpool got their act together.

If my Season ticket had not been purchased and paid for in advance I would not be going to Old Trafford as a form of protest against the type of football on display.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Whilst I agree where we have ended is not good enough, some of that comes down to not being too lucky/ tactics.

Mata - 38.5 million (luxury player, but Chelsea's best player the season before and contributed lots of midfield goals as well as creativity)
Fellaini - 28.5 million (agree has seemed usless, but at Everton he was a fairly wanted man. His price was due to unrealistic targets not working out.)

LVG:
Herrera - (paid going rate and clause, a talented player who hasn't quite been given a role to focus on)
Di Maria - Complete flop (started well, it's surely at least 70% his fault for flopping with outside distractions, but tactics didn't work well with him)
Darmian - not big cost and one of the few available rated and reliable looking RBs.
Memphis - Was the highest rated youngster in world football. Not managers fault he has flopped.
Bastian - Hugely experienced, brings in winning experience to a new team.
Morgan - One of highest rated proven Premiership midfielders when we brought him, has done fine as you said.

So overall I don't think the managers should be hugely blamed for the signings they made. The problem has been the making it gel together. And maybe that's where the real problem lies. That plus players not living up to expectations which is something even SAF suffered with. Some players just came handle the big spotlights of United!

However there is also the players we didn't sign. Our CB has been calling out for a quality CB not a squad CB. Our wings need a top fast winger, Memphis should have been that, but we needed at least two new wingers. And forward line relying on a 19 year old was always going to be an ask!
who wanted Fellaini apart from us?

Moby

Dick
You could well be right, mate but It's your absolute certainty that's perplexing me. No one knows how well he'll do, chances are he'll do very well but surely there's room for doubt. It's going to be interesting to see anyway and I certainly hope he fails to live up to the expectations.
There's no certainty but let's say on a scale of 0-100% how much confidence would you have in United winning the league season 13-14 had Fergie gone on for another year? I would have been really confident even if under him we lost the league by GD or a point in the previous years, and I have similar confidence in Pep's ability, specially given the fact that he will be given all the toys to play with, no struggle of the sort some seem to suggest, like he has to build a team from scratch, something he's accused of not knowing how to do. Well he doesn't have to do any of that, it is already a title winning squad and will only get stronger both tactically and in terms of individual quality once he arrives. I'm just adding two and two here.

Keenst

There's no certainty but let's say on a scale of 0-100% how much confidence would you have in United winning the league season 13-14 had Fergie gone on for another year? I would have been really confident even if under him we lost the league by GD or a point in the previous years, and I have similar confidence in Pep's ability, specially given the fact that he will be given all the toys to play with, no struggle of the sort some seem to suggest, like he has to build a team from scratch, something he's accused of not knowing how to do. Well he doesn't have to do any of that, it is already a title winning squad and will only get stronger both tactically and in terms of individual quality once he arrives. I'm just adding two and two here.
Sure I'd be confident if Fergie stayed on, I was always confident when he was here *tear*. But when Pep left Barca he went to Bayern who are probably the most sure thing in football Europe to win their league. City, while already having a title winning squad, have problems - Yaya is not what he was, their defence is borderline a shambles considering how much money they've thrown at it, Navas is not good enough and Aguero is constantly injured. It really is a big big difference to moving to Bayern and will be by far his biggest test despite all the resources that will be at his disposal.

Who knows how good Chelsea will be next year, they could be back to their best under whoever. Arsenal are getting better and better, Spurs are coming along nicely and, call me an optimist but I hope to god we'll make a few signings and be back in contention for the title too.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Interesting read regarding the Bayern quotes, but realistically what are the board to do now? Sack him now mid-season leaving the club in complete disarray, or sack him at the end of the season? Sadly for all of us, he is still the best man to deliver 4th place, so that's what will keep him his job until the end of the season.

I'm convinced work is being done now on his successor, whoever it is. The way things are there's zero chance he will still be here in the summer. The board won't accept it. The former players don't accept it, the fans don't, the media don't.

It's like anything in life, if he had realised the errors in his ways and changed it up, I think the fans and the board would forgive and forget, but he's so stubborn with this approach, it really is eating away at the club.
Interesting you should say that

Bayern had the same idea. They had initially announced that Van Gaal would only be leaving the club at the end of the season. However keeping him actually made things worse and they were in real danger of missing the UCL . So they reversed that decision and fired him mid-season instead. Promptly won their next game 5-1 and made it into the UCL.

Things arent getting any better under Van Gaal. We d be better off getting a caretaker in charge. I think the players just need someone to let the shackles off, that would give us a boost. It's similar to what happened with Jose and Chelsea. The club just needed a change. Right now, United need a change just as badly. For the fans, for the players and even for Van Gaal himself.

Our board seems to want to take the same course of action they did with Moyes. Allow the season to go bust and then act.

Rednotdead

Sure I'd be confident if Fergie stayed on, I was always confident when he was here *tear*. But when Pep left Barca he went to Bayern who are probably the most sure thing in football Europe to win their league. City, while already having a title winning squad, have problems - Yaya is not what he was, their defence is borderline a shambles considering how much money they've thrown at it, Navas is not good enough and Aguero is constantly injured. It really is a big big difference to moving to Bayern and will be by far his biggest test despite all the resources that will be at his disposal.

Who knows how good Chelsea will be next year, they could be back to their best under whoever. Arsenal are getting better and better, Spurs are coming along nicely and, call me an optimist but I hope to god we'll make a few signings and be back in contention for the title too.
All a bit different from "beat Dortmund, win the Bundesliga".

Moby

Dick
City, while already having a title winning squad, have problems - Yaya is not what he was, their defence is borderline a shambles considering how much money they've thrown at it, Navas is not good enough and Aguero is constantly injured. It really is a big big difference to moving to Bayern and will be by far his biggest test despite all the resources that will be at his disposal.

It won't take long for him to fix those 'problems', hasn't he already said he'll need ten new signings if he arrives at City? There's no shortage of cash and players would love to play for the best manager in the world, so these little issues will be fixed. And City have already won the league despite these issues, under an inferior manager as well.

Of course others can improve and will improve as well, but I did say Pep will be "guaranteed success" if the other managerial positions are not filled with the top dogs. Wenger, Van Gaal/Giggs, Klopp, these lads are not going to be much of a concern for City under Pep. Jose to United, or Simeone to Chelsea and I won't be as confident as I am now, though I'd still EASILY bet money on him winning the league in his second season, regardless of anything.

Moby

Dick
All a bit different from "beat Dortmund, win the Bundesliga".
You mean the team that finished 7th after spending majority of the season in turmoil? You must really closely follow Bundesliga and Bayern.

Chelsea won the league by 8 points. Bayern won by 10 points. Such difference, much competition.

Rednotdead

You mean the team that finished 7th after spending majority of the season in turmoil? You must really closely follow Bundesliga and Bayern.

Chelsea won the league by 8 points. Bayern won by 10 points. Such difference, much competition.
I'm talking every season, not just one.

Keenst

It won't take long for him to fix those 'problems', hasn't he already said he'll need ten new signings if he arrives at City? There's no shortage of cash and players would love to play for the best manager in the world, so these little issues will be fixed. And City have already won the league despite these issues, under an inferior manager as well.

Of course others can improve and will improve as well, but I did say Pep will be "guaranteed success" if the other managerial positions are not filled with the top dogs. Wenger, Van Gaal/Giggs, Klopp, these lads are not going to be much of a concern for City under Pep. Jose to United, or Simeone to Chelsea and I won't be as confident as I am now, though I'd still EASILY bet money on him winning the league in his second season, regardless of anything.
Ten players? Did he say that? He's really annoying me these days.. why can't he just keep his mouth shut? He's still Bayern's manager.. it's so disrespectful.

Moby

Dick
I'm talking every season, not just one.
And I just compared two seasons in different leagues where two top managers showed how easy it is to dominate the said league once you get a squad you want with quality in all areas and a clear leadership approach also respecting the current climate of the two leagues.

Moral of the story is, unless there's another top manager competing with Pep, and there's none at the moment, there's nothing to stop him. Carlo is gone, Jose, maybe United, maybe gone, has a record of getting spanked by Pep while managing the biggest club in the world, etc.

Devil may care

I feel a sense of numbness and inevitability about United at the moment. A spark needs to re-ignited. I'm sure feelings would have been much worse had the league was not equally dire and Liverpool got their act together.

If my Season ticket had not been purchased and paid for in advance I would not be going to Old Trafford as a form of protest against the type of football on display.

Numbness is a good word to describe things, I find myself not even getting angry or animated during a game now, I just sit and stare blankly at the screen, with an odd sigh here and there as another session of endless passing to nowhere ends without an attempt on goal.

The other issue is absence of hope. When Moyes was here you felt that he'd inevitably be sacked and we'd rectify the error of ever appointing him. This time though there is no such hope, LvG should have been sacked after the Norwich game and should have resigned after the Stoke game, but you can tell he's feeling untouchable again as we clearly have no intention of sacking him. Then there's the fact that after Moyes there was the prospect we'd eventually find ourselves with Klopp or Pep, now that's gone and the stubbly mug of Giggs lurking over LvG's shoulder seems the destined face of our continued fall. It all reminds me of that famous line from Training Day.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Mentioned it in another thread, but this weekend moved me over from just wanting LVG to be sacked, to actively hating the clueless delueded moron.

And whilst I'm here, can I rag on Woodward? I never got this Woody love-in thing that happened this summer... just because he spent so long where he was seemingly incapable of doing his job correctly, not sure why him bring in some players for a shit load of money - the only one of whom you could say presented some sort of "deal" was Schweinsteiger - which is basically the easiest way he could go about operating in his role even remotely competantly, is worthy of any great praise.

It's impossible to know the inner-workings of transfers and the club of course... but from what I've see of him, and what I hear about him, the man comes across as a bafoon... but then, i still don't really understand why the man who was in-charge of commercial dealings, with no experience at all of dealing with other football clubs/transfers/etc. - was given the role of being head of transfers (as well as commercial stuff) for a club the size of ours. I mean, you wouldn't make the HR director in your company the head of Marketing as well, just 'cos they both involve people....

mark_a

The bottom line is that we're embarrassing.

The problem for me is that I don't think there's anyone in power at club capable of steering the ship. Woodward? Glazers? I don't trust "my club"/"our club" with them.

Back to the football. On Saturday, Memphis shot on 70/80 mins, whenever it was, I'm not sure I've seen a crowd reaction like that. A sort of mini ovation, a wave of clapping combining irony and relief. A few folk on the stretty seemed to do a mini mexican wave. It was a moment of weird comedy. I think the press reported is a "ironic cheering", which probably nails it in 2 words. You know, I think there might be something in this crazy 'kicking the ball at the goal' thing.

For F*cks sake, fire him. But Woody needs to go to. And I'm sure there are people in the club that need to go as well. Quickly. Get Phil Neville to give them a lift (and take Fellaini with them as well)

People are spending between £37 and £59 to watch this spiritless sh*te. Matt Busby once pointed to the Warehouses and industrial units of Trafford Park & told the assembled team that the people had worked hard all week & deserved to be entertained.

The Purley King

Saturday was a fecking embarrassment. No other way to dress that up. Getting "Ole'd" at home to a league 1 side and scraping through due to a last minute penalty. Our own fans openly laughing about how shit we are. Sarcastic cheers when someone finally takes a fecking shot.

Honestly I don't care who we get in til the end of the year just get rid of this joker now.

Anyone who says "LVG is the best placed person to get us top4" is an idiot.

Saturday should have been the final straw - but it won't be because we are too gutless to make a change.

RedStarUnited

Forgive me if its been mentioned...

But how do you know the board is doing nothing? How do you know we are not in deep negotiations with a Pep or Jose? Do you want/need the board to express their intentions?

It might not be feasible to sack LVG now without a good replacement. Apparently Perez sacked Rafa so soon because if he didnt do it before a certain date this month, Rafa would be eligible to his full contracts salary. Where as sacking him at this point meant that Madrid only had to pay him til the end of the season.

ravi2

Mentioned it in another thread, but this weekend moved me over from just wanting LVG to be sacked, to actively hating the clueless delueded moron.

And whilst I'm here, can I rag on Woodward? I never got this Woody love-in thing that happened this summer... just because he spent so long where he was seemingly incapable of doing his job correctly, not sure why him bring in some players for a shit load of money - the only one of whom you could say presented some sort of "deal" was Schweinsteiger - which is basically the easiest way he could go about operating in his role even remotely competantly, is worthy of any great praise.

It's impossible to know the inner-workings of transfers and the club of course... but from what I've see of him, and what I hear about him, the man comes across as a bafoon... but then, i still don't really understand why the man who was in-charge of commercial dealings, with no experience at all of dealing with other football clubs/transfers/etc. - was given the role of being head of transfers (as well as commercial stuff) for a club the size of ours. I mean, you wouldn't make the HR director in your company the head of Marketing as well, just 'cos they both involve people....
Watch out man, I was so mad one day I called LVG a motherfecker and half the caf came down on my ass.
I still think he is a motherfecker though, however Woodward is worse. He is the primary reason LVG is still in charge IMO.

This all stinks.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Watch out man, I was so mad one day I called LVG a motherfecker and half the caf came down on my ass.
I still think he is a motherfecker though, however Woodward is worse. He is the primary reason LVG is still in charge IMO.

This all stinks.
If LvG did try to resign and it wasn't accepted because yet again they let other options pass them by or Woodward wants to save his own face, then they do deserve contempt. If it ends up being the case then I actually have some sympathy for LvG

Rednotdead

Forgive me if its been mentioned...

But how do you know the board is doing nothing? How do you know we are not in deep negotiations with a Pep or Jose? Do you want/need the board to express their intentions?

It might not be feasible to sack LVG now without a good replacement. Apparently Perez sacked Rafa so soon because if he didnt do it before a certain date this month, Rafa would be eligible to his full contracts salary. Where as sacking him at this point meant that Madrid only had to pay him til the end of the season.
Well, until they're seen to have done something they've done nothing i.e. until Van Gaal is sacked or leaves by mutual consent nothing has happened.

Rednotdead

This all stinks.
Quite. Woodward is escaping relatively unscathed here. I've never thought he's up to the job of running the football side of the business and he's done nothing to convince me otherwise.

ravi2

Quite. Woodward is escaping relatively unscathed here. I've never thought he's up to the job of running the football side of the business and he's done nothing to convince me otherwise.

Maybe we shouldn't be coming down so hard on Woodie...he is going to land us Neymar after all

/s

RedStarUnited

Well, until they're seen to have done something they've done nothing i.e. until Van Gaal is sacked or leaves by mutual consent nothing has happened.
That's a weird way of looking at things. So to you, until something happens, nothing is being done to make it happen?

e.g. Before someone was on the moon, NASA were doing nothing.

Rednotdead

That's a weird way of looking at things. So to you, until something happens, nothing is being done to make it happen?

e.g. Before someone was on the moon, NASA were doing nothing.
But we knew NASA was sending a rocket to the moon, therefore we knew something was being done.

So by your logic, if nothing happens in respect of Van Gaal for the next 5 years we still can't deduce that nothing was happening now?

Fener1907

This reminds me. Must remember to create a thread about how I'm not happy, my stance on the issue being unique and all.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Sorry mate, but you can't pull numbers out of thin air and use them to argue a point.

There are no guarantees with LvG whatsoever. Maybe he can turn it around, but that belief would be based on faith and optimism rather than observation and analysis. As it stands the team is clearly not delivering, and individually players are struggling.

You have also conveniently ignored the part where I said the 60% probability is in my opinion. I was using it to highlight why the board might be hesitant to change the manager.
There are no guarantees with LVG but neither is there a guarantee than a new manager will success. The board will rightfully have to weigh up the options and IF there's a manager available who will increase our chances of getting top 4 and beyond then he will be appointed. Also what is wrong with faith and optimism? Football is not based purely on quantifiable measure and statistics thus observations and analysis aren't foolproof either. If it was, Chelsea will be running away with the league right now and Leicester will be in relegation zone as many analysts predicted at the start of the season. If the board lose faith in LVG, they will sack him.

Going by his statements he seems to think that our performances are acceptable, expectations are unrealistic, and we're just unlucky with results.
When a manager thinks being held to a higher standard than Sheffield United is unfair, it just doesn't inspire hope or faith. I just don't see how any semi-decent manager could come in and do worse.
Can you show me these statements because I also heard him say in the post-match interview that he was disappointed with the performance against Sheffield Utd but happy to be in the 4th round.