Icardi offered to Man Utd

Status
Not open for further replies.

haram

If he wants to sign Trippier and Icardi then it suggests to me that he wants to go back to the old school Fergie style, get the ball down the flanks and cross.
So we have had Lukaku for 2 years and not had a single player that could cross the ball. Now we are selling him and going to focus on crossing? My tears.

Silas

How do you know that’s his idea?
Mainly going off how we played in the first few games, I guess. Him preferring Rashford to Lukaku is another sign that he wants someone more capable outside of the box.

Cpt Negative

perhaps signing a player like Icardi that would rip into players for not trying wouldn't be a bad thing

haram

Mainly going off how we played in the first few games, I guess. Him preferring Rashford to Lukaku is another sign that he wants someone more capable outside of the box.
Why go off the first few games rather than the majority of the games?

Silas

Why go off the first few games rather than the majority of the games?
Looking at results, it would make sense that, back then, we were playing the way he wanted us to. Poor form, fatigue and injuries have led to what's happening right now I believe.

Morpheus 7

South American, contract issues constantly, disciplinary issues in the Italian league, perfect fit for us.

haram

Looking at results, it would make sense that, back then, we were playing the way he wanted us to. Poor form, fatigue and injuries have led to what's happening right now I believe.
I think you are being more hopeful than logical.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
I get Icardi is quality and all but isn’t the basis of what Ole is trying to do here is get rid of head cases + players who choose when to show up & bring in proper personalities that’ll stand for United any given day?

...because from reports we know, Icardi is the furthest thing from a team player or a leader. He’s renowned as a locker room diva / drama queen.

Why should / is it even worth United to take on another risk like this when we’re trying to clean house as is?

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Caf: We need a leader and a true winner in this team...

Also Caf: Swap our useless striker for a leader and true winner? I don't think so...:nono:

It's Mauro fecking hard as nails Icardi...

Sign him up!

GazTheLegend

Caf: We need a leader and a true winner in this team...

Also Caf: Swap our useless striker for a leader and true winner? I don't think so...:nono:

It's Mauro fecking hard as nails Icardi...

Sign him up!
:lol::lol::lol:

Kinda my thoughts...

The caf: "GOD ROY KEANE WAS A HARD BARSTARD, WISH WE HAD A CHARACTER LIKE HIM AROuND OUR TEAM!"

Also the caf: "I DONT WANT DRAMA!!!!! I DONT CARE IF ICARDI IS A HARD BASTARD, CANT BE DOiNG WITH ALL THAT 'LOOK AT ME IMMA TOUGH GUY" SHIT!"

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
:lol::lol::lol:

Kinda my thoughts...

The caf: "GOD ROY KEANE WAS A HARD BARSTARD, WISH WE HAD A CHARACTER LIKE HIM AROuND OUR TEAM!"

Also the caf: "I DONT WANT DRAMA!!!!! I DONT CARE IF ICARDI IS A HARD BASTARD, CANT BE DOiNG WITH ALL THAT 'LOOK AT ME IMMA TOUGH GUY" SHIT!"
What if he comes in and kicks "J Lingz and Rashy" and co. up the hole when we're playing crap? Lets just keep Lukaku because he's great at pointing where he wants the ball to go and he always does a little gracious thumbs up to his teammate when he's too pants to control a perfectly weighted pass:lol: Great bloke!

Cloud7

Yeah this one is a hard no from me. I would love to upgrade Lukaku, but not end up with an Argentine Lukaku. There’s no room at this level for a striker entirely dependent on service.

We need a striker who can create for themselves, or bring others into play in an adequate fashion on a regular basis. A Suarez, Aguero, Lewandowski, Firmino, players like that. Players who aren’t a complete non entity when the service around them is putting chances on a plate for them. Really don’t want to see another player who’s only attribute is finishing off chances out on a plate for them as our striker.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I get Icardi is quality and all but isn’t the basis of what Ole is trying to do here is get rid of head cases + players who choose when to show up & bring in proper personalities that’ll stand for United any given day?

...because from reports we know, Icardi is the furthest thing from a team player or a leader. He’s renowned as a locker room diva / drama queen.

Why should / is it even worth United to take on another risk like this when we’re trying to clean house as is?
Icardi shows up every week, and is a leader/inspirational player at Inter. He has been their captain since he was about 23 or whatever.

macheda14

One of the biggest reasons he’s a ‘diva’ is he had huge arguments with the ultras and the club didn’t back him.

Scotty McT

I'm sure the squad would rather we keep Lukaku. Better to have a player who always misses than to have a player who always shags your missus.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Icardi shows up every week, and is a leader/inspirational player at Inter. He has been their captain since he was about 23 or whatever.
To be completely fair I haven’t watched him or Inter enough to come to a conclusion for myself.

However there seems to be conflicting assessments of him here. From what I’ve heard of previous reports is that he’s a hardass but not a leader and he’s a locker room diva. There’s people like you who say he’s a captain and a leader but there’s others saying he’s a locker room problem and drama queen...which one is it? That’s all I want to know :smirk:

perhaps signing a player like Icardi that would rip into players for not trying wouldn't be a bad thing
Icardi probably wouldn't do that. Wanda on the otherhand...

What people need to understand about Icardi is,yes he's abit of nutcase but he's arguably working under a manager who can be just as toxic as Jose and even more of a wacko than the player himself in Luciano Spelletti.
Most of Icardi's issue this season haven't been solely down to him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
To be completely fair I haven’t watched him or Inter enough to come to a conclusion for myself.

However there seems to be conflicting assessments of him here. From what I’ve heard of previous reports is that he’s a hardass but not a leader and he’s a locker room diva. There’s people like you who say he’s a captain and a leader but there’s others saying he’s a locker room problem and drama queen...which one is it? That’s all I want to know :smirk:
Most concerns seem to be related to his wife. And tbh footballers don’t have to be totally sanitised anyway. People forget they are human beings very regularly. If every disagreement you have makes the newspapers we may all struggle to be seen as anything other than ‘problematic’. As far as I know, Icardi has generally been fine with his teammates. This season there has been a clash between him and the fans, and I have no problem with him not just bowing down and taking that level of shit ‘because he’s a footballer’. He’s not held to the same standard as someone running for office to me, and he’s generally been able to get on with his football in all the time I’ve seen him, despite whatever may be in the press.

RedCurry

I couldn’t give a shit about Serie A. So can anyone tell me what are these off field toxic issues people talk about? Does he get on the wrong side of his teammates and the coach?

Shark

@NotShark
Excuse me if I’m wrong, I don’t watch much Serie A, but isn’t he a fox in the box, like Lukaku? Thought the general consensus that we need a striker with a more complete game.

croadyman

I can completely understand that people have reservations,however I think with the right delivery he could really flourish.

This might explain why we are interested in signing Meunier.

He strikes me as someone who would definitely pull some of the social media crew into line too

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Excuse me if I’m wrong, I don’t watch much Serie A, but isn’t he a fox in the box, like Lukaku? Thought the general consensus that we need a striker with a more complete game.
Yep, ideally we would target someone who doesn't come with Icardi's distracting qualities and is more accomplished on the ball — a center forward who is capable of being heavily involved in build-ups, like Firmino, certainly adds an extra dimension to the team in a collective approach, especially if you have wide forwards like Martial, and one of the biggest criticisms of Lukaku is that he's a bit too reliant on service (and can't create for himself or others out of thin air on a consistent basis). Or perhaps an industrious striker who is well-rounded and incredible at timing his runs to create spaces for the others, like Cavani. But those type of strikers are few and far between, unfortunately, and if Ole is trying to sign Icardi, it's presumably because of his big-game-mentality (tends to save his best for matches vs. the likes of Juventus in Serie A or Barcelona in the Champions League), scrappiness in tough situations, and unerring accuracy in front of goal...

Can't say I would be a big fan of the move at this moment in time because he's like a more clinical Lukaku for all intent and purposes (whereas someone like Jović is showing great potential at Frankfurt, and Félix is emerging as a gifted finisher who's remarkably skillful on the ball), but if Icardi fits Ole's plans in a swap, we have better creative organisation, and some of the other options are not viable in the summer then why not, I guess...

SambaBoy

From what I've seen of Icardi, he's highly reliant on service and can't create too much for himself. His nose for goal and strength in and around the box is fantastic though. I'm not 100% sure on him on being an upgrade on Lukaku. He would have to settle here from the Italian league which many strikers have failed to do. There's the big price tag that he would cost as well.

If we are planning on replacing Lukaku, I feel we should look elsewhere and look for a striker with different strengths.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
United need a striker who can drop deep and create for others as well score goals. All the top English sides have players like this (Aguero, Firminho, and Kane come to mind) and even Sarri plays Hazard there when he wants more control of the match. This takes the pressure off of the midfield, (look at Liverpool's unspectacular midfield), help controls possession, and allows the wide players more chances to go forward. These type of strikers enables their team to hold the ball and break down less-talented teams who are content with putting 10 behind the ball or overloading midfield. It's safe to say Lukaku nor Icardi fit this mold of player.

I say all this to say swapping Lukaku for Icardi is a lateral move. He may score a few more goals, but they issues with style of play remain.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He has armband but he isn't a leader. He doesn't show up every week too, in fact he scored just 6 non penalty goals this season in 24 games and if he isn't scoring he offers nothing else to the team.

Icardi is far from leader.

sherrinford

It's worse than poor, it's up there with Tevez. Get a load of this:

Hard fecking pass, on this one, hard pass...
There was absolutely nothing in there suggesting he has a bad attitude - it’s almost entirely quotes from his agent regarding his contract.

Tevez seemed to have a very good attitude. I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.