ICC Champions Trophy 2017

NM

Kumble has stepped down.. Kohli can f$%k off. That is why he won't be half the player Tendulkar is. Tendulkar played at 4 for the team, Kohli whined because he didn't like an Indian legend as a coach, just because he was tough.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Just nit picking on those innings', but you can add the 1992 tour of England, that 84 against NZ in an ODI very early in his career and, in my opinion, his best test innings was the 146 odd against SA at Cape Town in '11 where Steyn bowled the best spell I have ever seen in my life time.
His run-a-ball-36 in an innings where no-one else could touch the new ball (1st innings of that 1st match of that series) is a small performance that I loved. He looked like he was walking on water compared to the others. He got out with his first false shot.
He also scored an unbeaten 100 in the 2nd innings, but everyone performed well (total was above 400).

Edit: scorecard
http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-india-2010/engine/match/463146.html

Once the ball was less new, Harbhajan and Dhoni had some fun pinch-hitting or defending.

NM

Are you from Karnataka? lol
Nope. I just think it's shit that the captain can kick out what looks like a good coach for being tough. I'd like to hear Kohli's side of it, but until then this doesn't cast him in a good light.

I don't have to be from Karnataka to think this is stupid.

zing

Zingle balls
Kumble has stepped down.. Kohli can f$%k off. That is why he won't be half the player Tendulkar is. Tendulkar played at 4 for the team, Kohli whined because he didn't like an Indian legend as a coach, just because he was tough.
But we don't know the truth of what happened.

Maybe Kumble really was a shit coach.

NM

True. I responded to somebody else above saying I'd like to hear Kohli's side of this too

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
His run-a-ball-36 in an innings where no-one else could touch the new ball (1st innings of that 1st match of that series) is a small performance that I loved. He looked like he was walking on water compared to the others. He got out with his first false shot.
He also scored an unbeaten 100 in the 2nd innings, but everyone performed well (total was above 400).

Edit: scorecard
http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-india-2010/engine/match/463146.html

Once the ball was less new, Harbhajan and Dhoni had some fun pinch-hitting or defending.
I saw the Chepauk test innings against Pakistan live. Probably the best batting I've ever seen, maybe Lara's 153 against Australia is better. Pakistan team was given a standing ovation as well after India lost the test

MJJ

Havent you guys been having your best period in tests and odi ever and producing good fast bowlers for once? On the surface, it seems like he is doing an excellent job.

zing

Zingle balls
Havent you guys been having your best period in tests and odi ever and producing good fast bowlers for once? On the surface, it seems like he is doing an excellent job.
By that logic, Kohli's also doing an excellent job. Which he's not.

We've just had a very good team, which has been playing at home.

kps88

That long winning streak was mainly at home and would have happened under most competent coaches. I don't think coaches contribute all that much in cricket compared to other sports, particularly the Indian coach.

MJJ

By that logic, Kohli's also doing an excellent job. Which he's not.

We've just had a very good team, which has been playing at home.
I think he has been a good leader so far, does get his tactics wrong sometimes but will grow into it.

That long winning streak was mainly at home and would have happened under most competent coaches. I don't think coaches contribute all that much in cricket compared to other sports, particularly the Indian coach.
I do agree that the role of the coach is lesser but india has been getting its tactics right in most matches which I would put down to the coach.

Good point regarding playing at home.

Clique

There was an interesting article on Cricinfo, when rumors of the issue started going around. It spoke of how Kohli was always someone who pushed himself to new limits, was harder on himself than on anyone else. Anecdotal evidence of him giving up Indian food was also mentioned. Given those data points as well as Kohli's appreciation of the hard yards put in, I fail to see how Kumble pushing the team isn't on the same page as Kohli's.

I disagree that the Coach's role in a team is a figurehead. Whether its reading the pitch or giving an outside in perspective on the team composition, a coach's inputs would be vital. Infact, post the Ind-SA match we had comments of how Kumble helped our bowlers tighten up their lines and bounce back from the SL defeat. Irrespective of who's right and who's wrong, a behemoth of Indian cricket as is Kumble should've treated with much more respect that he's been provided in the past few weeks.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
2003 was pretty good, Dada and the young resurgence happened around 2000 CT, then that Natwest chase in 2002 and by 2003 we were pretty much established as a top team with some real quality in Sachin, Dada, Srinath from the old gen with great young talent in Sehwag, Yuvraj, Kaif, Zaheer, etc. We only lost to that great Aus team in that cup, and pretty much took care of everyone else. Some great contributions all round.
And Sachin was man of the series in 2003 too. His record in the WC is really good. I don't think there is any comparison to be made between Sachin and Kohli when you remember the kind of pitches and bowling attack former had to face compared to the batting highways seen in 2 out of 3 ODI games.

Sylar

Back to the Tendulkar point (weird typing Sachin given thats my name :nervous:) but I really think during his prime the bowling was much much better than it is now.
I think its easier to score runs now than it was back then, esp with t20 coming in which helps aid attacking cricket (not that im complaining).

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Back to the Tendulkar point (weird typing Sachin given thats my name :nervous:) but I really think during his prime the bowling was much much better than it is now.
I think its easier to score runs now than it was back then, esp with t20 coming in which helps aid attacking cricket (not that im complaining).
Again, this narrative seems over stated to me. There aren't that many great batsmen in this generation. Aus had Langer, Hayden, Ponting amongst others.
India had the big 4 and others.
SA had Kallis, Smith with not too many others.
Pakistan had Younis, Yousuf, Inzi and others.
England had Tresco, Vaughn (for a period) with a mix of other half decent players.
NZ probably were worse.
WI had a team.
SL had Sanga and Mahela with Samaraweera later and a few decent players.

Nowadays, there aren't too many greats in the world.
Going by Tests, India has no one averaging over 50. Pujara, Kohli and Rahane.
Aus have Smith and ill add Warner in.
England have Root.
SA have ABD and Amla.
Pakistan have no one.
NZ have Williamson.
SL have Matthews.
Wi are shit.

Its hard defining the eras. Maybe the greats of the past were truly exceptional. The great bowlers were in abudance too. Maybe in this current generation, the standards have dropped. Whilst pitches are accepted to be flat, why are there not as many good batsmen as there were in the past?

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Sachin is easily best batsmen and I don't get this comparison with Kohli,who still need to go long way. Sachin was lone warrior in our worst days of cricket.
Starting from Sharjah of 91 or B&H world series or the WC of 92,those days we where really poor chasers and that slowly started to change with sachin's batting.To me some of the best test innings by Sachin starts with Century against Australia at Perth 1992,century against SA in Capetown 96-97 and 139 against Pakistan in 1999 Chennai test.
Sachin at the SCG in 2004 i think where he did not play a cover drive or something like that was an amazing knock and one of the most disciplined i have seen

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
I think that is true.

McGrath, Warne, Murli, Vaas, Ambrose, Walsh, Akram, Younis, Pollock, Donald.

Even secondary bowlers like Hughes, McDermott, Bishop were still pretty good.

Lowkey

I don't get why Indians hate Kohli so much. It was nice to see an Indian that is not completely arrogant and disrespectful towards other nations. I thought he held himself really well. Ye, he messed up on Sunday but the team was just awful and Pak were on another level. Pak can do that to any team when they feel like it. Kohli is still the man tho. India need to get rid of the old guard now and move on to that IPL talent.

Pak...well there needs to be a movie made about this team or something. Reminds me of the mighty ducks. This team against all odds manages to come into a tournament and perform like that despite BCCI doing its best to cripple and take Pak cricket back to the dark ages just speaks volumes really and a massive 2 fingers to the main boards. Well done Pak.

England should have won that tournament but alas we bottled it as usual. KP is not happy #bringKPbackstill :D

Varun

Staff
I don't get why Indians hate Kohli so much. It was nice to see an Indian that is not completely arrogant and disrespectful towards other nations. I thought he held himself really well. Ye, he messed up on Sunday but the team was just awful and Pak were on another level. Pak can do that to any team when they feel like it. Kohli is still the man tho. India need to get rid of the old guard now and move on to that IPL talent.

Pak...well there needs to be a movie made about this team or something. Reminds me of the mighty ducks. This team against all odds manages to come into a tournament and perform like that despite BCCI doing its best to cripple and take Pak cricket back to the dark ages just speaks volumes really and a massive 2 fingers to the main boards. Well done Pak.

England should have won that tournament but alas we bottled it as usual. KP is not happy #bringKPbackstill :D
Where did you get that from?

Varun

Staff

The narrative has been very specifically about Kumble's tough approach rather than his quality as a coach. Even after the final, the leaked news is about Kumble having a 1 v 1 with some players about their performance and them complaining to Kohli about it. The media could be completely off track here but it's unlikely.

Lowkey

Where did you get that from?
The general consensus seems to be to blame Kohli and his captaincy for the defeat to Pak because he didn't carry the team on his back as usual. That's the feeling i was getting anyway.

Sylar

The general consensus seems to be to blame Kohli and his captaincy for the defeat to Pak because he didn't carry the team on his back as usual. That's the feeling i was getting anyway.
The whole team was bad. Nobody (except Pandya and Bhuvi with the ball) performed.

kotha

I don't think anyone said that or blamed him.. The discussion over the last page was between the adulation between him and Sachin.. And most of us saying he might never reach those heights for us becuase of nostalgia and a variety of reasons..

It was nice to see an Indian that is not completely arrogant and disrespectful towards other nations.
And who else you think was so disrespectful as an Indian captian.. I think Ganguly was the only one who was rash,but that was because he was tryinh to vhange the mentality of the team as a whole, from being easy mentally fragile pushovers.. Over the years we have had Dravid,Kumble,Laxman who are all very respectful and eloquent.. Gambhir I guess was another loud mouth!!

Varun

Staff
His captaincy wasn't good but it's an incredible reach to say he's hated.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

feck mighty ducks...#corneredtigersthesequel

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Is that real?

prtk0811

:lol:

By the way the way Ashwin bowled he was having a very bad day and more culpable then bumrah.

The Indian think tank got it wrong from the toss itself, chasing in a final is always high pressure and a few quick wickets at the top is deadly even though it's a flat batting wicket. Pak bowlers are always capable to getting few wickets with the new ball and Indians were over confident comming into the match.

kiristao

I give him even more credit because until the likes of Ganguly, Dravid and Sehwag showed up (actually even for a while after they did) most of the country would switch of the televisions if Tendulkar got out.. imagine having to play with that kind of expectation/pressure for so many years..