ICC Cricket World Cup 2023

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
This is a slow death now - well slowish. Time to give up, see you all for the debrief.

ChrisNelson

Poor performance from England, some horrible shot selection earlier and only a good Buttler / Root partnership got us anywhere near respectable.

Good that they've got it out of the way now, the only way is up!

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
This is a proper dressing down by New Zealand.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Suddenly glad I've been in meetings all days so not been able to watch.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Didn't someone earlier in the thread say NZ wouldn't keep this run rate up for the whole inning's? :lol: :lol:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Didn't someone earlier in the thread say NZ wouldn't keep this run rate up for the whole inning's? :lol: :lol:
Not if you read my post properly no :)

Very rare this happens - fair play to them.

Very reminiscent of what England have done to other teams over the last 5 years.

This will hurt Englands confidence now, luckily loads of time to recover and alot of experience.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Not if you read my post properly no :)

Very rare this happens - fair play to them.

Very reminiscent of what England have done to other teams over the last 5 years.

This will hurt Englands confidence now, luckily loads of time to recover and alot of experience.
Only jesting mate, :D

England will be fine, the way the tournament is set out means there will be a few other matches like this one between the 'big' teams.

As for net run rate, England will make that back against the smaller nations for sure.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
My biggest worry after today is if Butler captains through most of the tournament - he's a poor captain and has no vibe at all.

But today is all about that batting partnership to be fair - you often see a quick 100 partnership to take the game away but to keep it going like that and both be there at the end - very impressive.

JohnnyKills

Early days. Australia won the 2021 after being thrashed by England in the group stage.

But still, worrying times. Our bowling attack looks really weak without Archer.

And jury's very much still out on Mott for me, certainly in 50-over cricket.

JohnnyKills

Poor performance from England, some horrible shot selection earlier and only a good Buttler / Root partnership got us anywhere near respectable.

Good that they've got it out of the way now, the only way is up!
Yeah.

Feel like our preparation has been shambolic tbh, with the whole debate around Roy/Brook/Malan.

Not helped by the fact that our big guns have played little or no 50-over cricket since 2019 though!

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The batting just wasn’t good enough. Of course the bowling was pathetic but on these pitches if you don’t score 350 after playing an extra batter then you will get fecked

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Root claiming we wanted to start slow to peak at the right time - quality.

sport2793

Anyone surprised by Devon Conway shouldn't be, he's an absolute terminator in the subcontinent, had a great IPL. Ravindra the next NZ star by the looks of it.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Anyone surprised by Devon Conway shouldn't be, he's an absolute terminator in the subcontinent, had a great IPL. Ravindra the next NZ star by the looks of it.
I backed him top tournament run scorer :)

Was hoping he'd get a duck today though.

JohnnyKills

The batting just wasn’t good enough. Of course the bowling was pathetic but on these pitches if you don’t score 350 after playing an extra batter then you will get fecked
Everything that went wrong could go wrong. Look at Brook's dismissal ffs

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Weird thing to say I know but Nz are a good team but will be overhyped after this result.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I'm not even sure 350 would have been rough with the way NZ were going.
Well that is correct but it just gives a bit more risk on the shots . If you are 70/1 after 8 chasing 280 the game is done while with 350 you are only slightly ahead

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Weird thing to say I know but Nz are a good team but will be overhyped after this result.
Yeah they've rightly earned a reputation that you should never under-estimate them over the years, but I don't fancy them this time to make the semi's despite today.

I do have some concerns about England, will be a scrap to make the semi's.

IRN-BRUno

The batting was likely just one of those days, they all got in and if just one goes on to make a big score then you end up with a solid total.

Bowling was more of a worry, hopefully they improve with a few overs in them. Given the seamers are likely to be rotated I would have gone with Topley for this one as his record against left-handers is quite strong and NZ have 6 in this line-up.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Not weird at all, we are an ok team right now but nowhere near where we have been and I think you are right
Funnily enough in my predictions on Twitter I actually had NZ qualifying and England going out but still think that they are a level below India & Australia. Selection today partly down to injuries was very weird

zing

Zingle balls
well - they'll have 2-3 first teamers back. Their bowlers picked were average ones. Southee and Lockie are on the bench..

Batting looks very good

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Think England might suffer a 'Spain 2014' moment. One tournament too many for a great team.
I've been cautiously optimistic leading in we'd have enough to make the Semis without being particularly good and then anything can happen.

But all those troubling concerns about aging players and an undercooked team came to the fore today. I think we could flop it.

JohnnyKills

I've been cautiously optimistic leading in we'd have enough to make the Semis without being particularly good and then anything can happen.

But all those troubling concerns about aging players and an undercooked team came to the fore today. I think we could flop it.
I think we'll either win it or bomb. In other words, the plan works or it fails spectacularly.

zing

Zingle balls
Shubman Gill has tested positive for Dengue..

People take months to recover from it

gajender

Shubman Gill has tested positive for Dengue..

People take months to recover from it
Unless it's the severe case of Dengue he should be fine way sooner might miss a game or 2 at worst .