IDF attacking the activists' boats

nimic

something nice
Scout
Israel has the right - the duty - to defend its citizens. When Hamas fires missiles, it's not defending anything. It's just trying to provoke, kill and terrorize. If you don't see the difference, there's not much to say.
Defend its citizens by boarding a multinational aid convoy and killing several people, all in international waters? If you can't see what's wrong with that, there's not much to say.

Mister Jeebus

I believe what I see on my TV screen. The soldiers were attacked as soon as they landed on the vessel. There are reports that 2 guns were snatched and use to open fire on the troops, but there is no footage or further confirmation for that.
You have an understandable bias, but the above reflects this rather than any evidence to its veracity.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
She is involved with this charity.

Abaseen Foundation | Helping Dreams Come True

Those on board were peace activists from all parts of the world. Including Israel. Far from being terrorists these peoples only concern was the well being of those deprived of everyday basics in Gaza.

Amir

Defend its citizens by boarding a multinational aid convoy and killing several people, all in international waters? If you can't see what's wrong with that, there's not much to say.
None of us know yet what happened there. It certainly doesn't look good, but we'll just have to wait and see. Those idiots, mind you, could have had their cargo transported to Gaza in a different way.

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
She is involved with this charity.

Abaseen Foundation | Helping Dreams Come True

Those on board were peace activists from all parts of the world. Including Israel. Far from being terrorists these peoples only concern was the well being of those deprived of everyday basics in Gaza.
Peace activists are unlikely to chant "Haibar Haiber ya Yahud – Jaish Muhammad Sa’ufa Ya’ud" on their Gaza cruise.

Sultan

I assume you choose an easier route than actually referring to the reports it cites, such as:

Evan Kohlmann first became involved in studying terrorism when he was 18 and in his first year at Washington’s Georgetown University. In February 1998 he began an internship at the Investigative Project, a Washington Think-Tank set up by Steve Emerson – a notoriously Islamophobic journalist turned terrorism expert.

holyland red

You have an understandable bias, but the above reflects this rather than any evidence to its veracity.
The short footage released showed Israeli troops attacked- there is no doubt about that regardless of what's your opinion of the flotilla. There are 5 injured soldiers currently in hospital as some sort of confirmation if you like.

IDF spokesman released a statement regarding the snatched weapons and alleged opened fire. I expect a full investigation that would confirm this being the skeptical person that I am...

Sultan

Peace activists are unlikely to chant "Haibar Haiber ya Yahud – Jaish Muhammad Sa’ufa Ya’ud" on their Gaza cruise.

Nor are they going to attack the IDF with machine guns or suicide belts, with journalists and aid on board. Stop trying to turn around a despicable act. We're not trying to win a public relations exercise on here. I'll leave that to the politicians in this instance.

holyland red

Evan Kohlmann first became involved in studying terrorism when he was 18 and in his first year at Washington’s Georgetown University. In February 1998 he began an internship at the Investigative Project, a Washington Think-Tank set up by Steve Emerson – a notoriously Islamophobic journalist turned terrorism expert.

Was it Steve Emerson who raided the IHH offices in Turkey, where explosives were found?

Sultan

Hi Mum,

Have sent Paveen a message on facebook and will let you know if there are any updates from her on facebook, she was posting that things were getting serious last night but her updates stopped at about 1am so will let you know if and when she puts a new update on.

Andrea
Further email.

holyland red

Nor are they going to attack the IDF with machine guns or suicide belts, with journalists and aid on board. Stop trying to turn around a despicable act. We're not trying to win a public relations exercise on here. I'll leave that to the politicians in this instance.
Israel can not allow undermining the naval blockade of an entity dedicated to Israel's destruction. In contrast, the "humanitarian aid" card is nothing other than a public relations exercise. If you were really interested in helping the hungry you'd have friends on borad a fleet heading to North Korea.

The outcome of the operation tonight is regretable, especially as it was so easily avoidable if giving humanitarian aid was indeed the main interests of the organizers.

Sultan

Israel can not allow undermining the naval blockade of an entity dedicated to Israel's destruction. In contrast, the "humanitarian aid" card is nothing other than a public relations exercise. If you were really interested in helping the hungry you'd have friends on borad a fleet heading to North Korea.

The outcome of the operation tonight is regretable, especially as it was so easily avoidable if giving humanitarian aid was indeed the main interests of the organizers.
Please HR. I'm not in the mood.

Stop trying to justify this action by equating other wrongs around the world.

PS: South Korea does not have a policy of blockading shipping bound for North Korea.

holyland red

Please HR. I'm not in the mood.

Stop trying to justify this action by equating other wrongs around the world.

PS: South Korea does not have a policy of blockading shipping bound for North Korea.
If the Palestinians get nukes we won't have the option either.

MJLD

This is a bit of a mess isn't it?

BBC News - Deaths as Israeli forces storm Gaza aid ship - this seems quite anti-Israeli but quite frankly they deserve sanctions or action against them for preventing aid, a basic human right, from being delivered to where needs it. The aid ship had every right to fire back if they were attacked.

Like I said I don't really know a lot about this - just putting my thoughts out.

holyland red

This is a bit of a mess isn't it?

BBC News - Deaths as Israeli forces storm Gaza aid ship - this seems quite anti-Israeli but quite frankly they deserve sanctions or action against them for preventing aid, a basic human right, from being delivered to where needs it. The aid ship had every right to fire back if they were attacked.

Like I said I don't really know a lot about this - just putting my thoughts out.

Supplies to Gaza pass on a daily basis from Israeli border crossings, and those were suggested to the organizers of this event.

MrBurns

Supplies to Gaza pass on a daily basis from Israeli border crossings, and those were suggested to the organizers of this event.
This does not give Israeli Marines the right to board a ship in International waters (if thats the case).

If there are weapons etc on board, Id understand the logic in boarding the ship.
If there are not, then its a stupid act.

Supports
Barcelona
This is the worst region in the world to have far right religious parties in power!!

Dave89

I think he means any adverse reaction to Israel will be looked on disapprovingly by the Americans.

Dave89

Of course fearless,and nothing to with the little kids who will go to bed hungry tonight because Israel are trying to starve them out/to death.

Supports
Barcelona
International aid mission my arse - other, more viable options were ignored

Why?

Because this was always about victimhood.
It was about a political and humanitarian message to end the siege

Sultan

International aid mission my arse - other, more viable options were ignored

Why?

Because this was always about victimhood.
You've patented the word victimhood.

How dare the international community aid Palestinians rights to exist. That is only for Israel and Israelis.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Wrong, Isreal wouldn not transfer all the cargo, it'd stop any items it didn't want getting through.

The point of the group is to brake the seige and not accept that Israel and Egypt have a right to decide what enters Gaza

Supports
Barcelona
You need to change dealers.
let's see. You're saying that civilians from different countries who were on board these ships were doing what they were doing to play the victims role (which includes the risk of getting killed) but not to break the siege even if symbolically?

uh..okay

holyland red

This does not give Israeli Marines the right to board a ship in International waters (if thats the case).

If there are weapons etc on board, Id understand the logic in boarding the ship.
If there are not, then its a stupid act.
I tend to agree.

Having said that, the death toll would probably have been higher if the ships were allowed to get near Gaza.