If Mourinho's authority and ideology were given more backing, would we be challenging?

mu4c_20le

I think the dumbest thing here is some of you think Jose just decided to fall out with the players because he's a difficult personality. No. He set high standards of effort and play, demanded more from them, including confirming to his tactics. When underperformers or those that couldn't keep up were benched or admonished, Woodward stepped in to play favorites. When star players acted out, Woodward put his arm around them and assured them of nice long stays and big paychecks.

That's how it went down. It wasn't just a self destruct. The manager was undermined, which has always been Jose's red button with the big feckin warning not to be pressed.
Bollocks. The only favorite Woodward ever protected was Martial, and that was on behalf of the Glazers.

hn4manunited

Next time you want to correct people read the post . I never said Jose said second was a great achievement so no I don't need help differentiating something that I did not say
I apologize if I misread what you posted but this was your post in the following and the bolded part was your comment.

Absolute nonsense. What happened last season was typical Jose . People keep building up him taking us to second as a great achievement which is rubbish . It can only be a great achievement if it leads to something better and it clearly didn't and was never going to either.

Jose was throwing the toys out of the pram before the second even finished and just got worse as he went on . The truth is he knew he wasn't good enough anymore and couldn't compete with Pep and Klopp .

Jackal

I don’t agree with that based on what Jose has signed over his career. You can’t deny that this list of players dont look like his typical signings.
Only Matic and Zlatan were his typical signings.

No one can convince me that Jose Mourinho who prioritises his defence and usually fortifies it with seasoned veteran defenders suddenly felt Lindelof and Bailly(both 22 years old when signed) were capable of landing him a Premier League title.

hn4manunited

No one can convince me that Jose Mourinho who prioritises his defence and usually fortifies it with seasoned veteran defenders suddenly felt Lindelof and Bailly(both 22 years old when signed) were capable of landing him a Premier League title.
Exactly! How people refuse to see that I don’t understand.

Jackal

Unfortunately, People want to see what they want to see.

Many of our fans still believe the players abandoned Jose's tactics in the 3-2 comeback at the Etihad and won on their own. The question is why haven't they done the same in Ole's tenure and arrest this pathetic away record?

hn4manunited

Unfortunately, People want to see what they want to see.

Many of our fans still believe the players abandoned Jose's tactics in the 3-2 comeback at the Etihad and won on their own. The question is why haven't they done the same in Ole's tenure and arrest this pathetic away record?
wow! I don’t think I have ever heard of that or read that before. That’s bonkers.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Finished congratulating each other? Cool.

What exactly is this fabled 'Jose Mourinho signing' you are referring to and how do you make the distinction between them and those he (apparently) did not sign at United?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Because you chose to believe your gut feeling rather than what players and Jose's mouth piece Duncan Castles reported.

roonster09

Scout
How people still believe this is beyond me. People somehow believe these players were thrown at Jose and asked him to work with them when almost every player said they spoke with manager who convinced them to join or reliable reports (from Jose's side) said the players signed were Jose's choice.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Don't dislike Mourinho like many but Im not convinced he would be winning titles even with a shed load more backing.
Yes there were signings like Fred that he clearly didnt want, and gave a pretty lukewarm welcome too, but the majority were his and didnt succeed.
His main problem was that Pep had taken things to another level so 2nd was his limit.
Also made the mistake of trying to be long term with young unproven centre backs like Lindelof and Baily when he should have just been himself and got a proven player. He doesnt have the personality to be long term...

Jackal

Because you chose to believe your gut feeling rather than what players and Jose's mouth piece Duncan Castles reported.
That they spoke with the manager doesn't mean they were his first choice. When the first choices can't be gotten, Ed moves in for the substandard/cheap choice.

In the history of Jose's career, he's never relied on unproven rookies in his defence to win titles.

Porto(03/04) - Jorge Costa(33), Carvalho(26)

Chelsea(04/05) - Carvalho(27), Gallas(27), *Terry(24). *Terry was an early developer. He won club's player of the year as far back as 2002.

Inter Milan(09/10) - Lucio(31), Walter Samuel(31), Materrazi(36)

Real Madrid(11/12) - Carvalho(34), Pepe(29).

Chelsea2.0(14/15) - Ivanovic(31), Gary Cahill(29), John Terry(34)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man Utd(17/18) - Bailly(23), Lindelof(23)

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I think the dumbest thing here is some of you think Jose just decided to fall out with the players because he's a difficult personality. No. He set high standards of effort and play, demanded more from them, including confirming to his tactics. When underperformers or those that couldn't keep up were benched or admonished, Woodward stepped in to play favorites. When star players acted out, Woodward put his arm around them and assured them of nice long stays and big paychecks.

That's how it went down. It wasn't just a self destruct. The manager was undermined, which has always been Jose's red button with the big feckin warning not to be pressed.
This.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
not denying any facts that you and I don’t have. However, if you do spend some time to look at Jose’s career and what profile players he prefers, you might see what i’m talking about. If you haven’t gotten the point that i’m trying to get across, the problem isn’t with Jose. The problem is with Ed.
The fact are there. It takes a basic Google search:

Sanchez
Man Utd plucked 'juicy orange' Alexis Sanchez from top of tree

Lukaku
Romelu Lukaku reveals Jose Mourinho phone call convinced him to join Manchester United over Chelsea

Matic
Jose Mourinho is adamant he always wanted to sign Nemanja Matic rather than Tottenham Hotspur’s Eric Dier

Miki
Prolific Mkhitaryan will have instant impact - Mourinho

Fred
How Jose Mourinho convinced Fred to join Manchester United in private phone call

Bailly
Bailly settled on Manchester United after a phone call from Jose Mourinho

Dalot
Diogo Dalot: I joined Manchester United because of Jose Mourinho
Jose Mourinho believes Manchester United may have found their right-back for the next decade after Diogo Dalot starred on his debut.

So now let's not ever say these were not his signings. It's a tiring excuse not based on reality.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

That's how it went down.
It wasn't just a self destruct. The manager was undermined, which has always been Jose's red button with the big feckin warning not to be pressed.
Great narrative but completely made up

hn4manunited

Matic and Zlatan were definitely Jose signings. We know Jose likes big physical strikers. So, lukaku fits that profile. Bailly and Dalot are not typical Jose signings. However, like I’ve mentioned many times we needed short term fixes and then supplement with longer term signings. Maybe Bailly and Dalot are those. Never the ones that would come in at those ages to take over in center half for a Jose team. Fred’s report from his friend are not facts. That could have been fabricated. No where does it say Mkhi was his signing but could very well be considering how well he was playing with his quickness as well. Sanchez i’m not convinced was Jose going out looking for Sanchez. I think it may have been one of those opportune situations where mkhi wasn’t working out and the idea came up for a swap from a business standpoint and the marketing buzz Ed would get for his marketing side of things.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Matic and Zlatan were definitely Jose signings. We know Jose likes big physical strikers. So, lukaku fits that profile. Bailly and Dalot are not typical Jose signings. However, like I’ve mentioned many times we needed short term fixes and then supplement with longer term signings. Maybe Bailly and Dalot are those. Never the ones that would come in at those ages to take over in center half for a Jose team. Fred’s report from his friend are not facts. That could have been fabricated. No where does it say Mkhi was his signing but could very well be considering how well he was playing with his quickness as well. Sanchez i’m not convinced was Jose going out looking for Sanchez. I think it may have been one of those opportune situations where mkhi wasn’t working out and the idea came up for a swap from a business standpoint and the marketing buzz Ed would get for his marketing side of things.
I don't know what else to tell you. You keep ignoring things that Mourinho said to give him excuses. It's quite confusing but I'll try again:

Did you even read the Dalot article? Mourinho literally said this:
"For Diogo, it was his first match after knee surgery -- a very good, solid performance," Mourinho said at a news conference. "Everybody could see the potential and he is a 19-year-old player who has more than 10 years to play for Manchester United."
and this here:
“In his age group, he is the best full-back in Europe and we all believe he has a bright future ahead of him at Manchester United.”

Fred: Mourinho even said they were chasing him since January
And Mourinho has hinted United were battling City for his signature in January by admitting the club were working on a deal a ‘long time ago’. ‘Fred, you know we did it quite a long time ago, we started the process a long time ago,’ admitted Mourinho. ‘We lost Michael Carrick, we think Fred is the kind of player we need to complement the qualities of our midfield players.’
Sanchez: Mourinho showed every indication he wanted the player
"I’m positive, I know my people are doing everything, absolutely everything they can, the owners with the green light, Mr [Ed] Woodward working hard, everybody is giving everything they can, and I think they will be successful"
Again they were all his signings and if they weren't he would have let the world know. Let's not make things anymore.

roonster09

Scout
That they spoke with the manager doesn't mean they were his first choice. When the first choices can't be gotten, Ed moves in for the substandard/cheap choice.

In the history of Jose's career, he's never relied on unproven rookies in his defence to win titles.

Porto(03/04) - Jorge Costa(33), Carvalho(26)

Chelsea(04/05) - Carvalho(27), Gallas(27), *Terry(24). *Terry was an early developer. He won club's player of the year as far back as 2002.

Inter Milan(09/10) - Lucio(31), Walter Samuel(31), Materrazi(36)

Real Madrid(11/12) - Carvalho(34), Pepe(29).

Chelsea2.0(14/15) - Ivanovic(31), Gary Cahill(29), John Terry(34)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man Utd(17/18) - Bailly(23), Lindelof(23)
I didn't see him signing 35-36 year old as first choice striker but he did at ManUtd. Must be club signing.

Withnail

And this just coincidentally happens at pretty much every club he's been to after a couple of seasons.

Nothing toxic about Jose's methods!

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I believe 70% of epl seasoned managers can do a better job than OGS right now under the circumstances. So yes, mou would have managed at least a shot on target again alkzmar I think. It's weird we didn't back him up with defensive signings then hire a managerial unknown to sign the same guy mou wanted for more money.
Although thats not ogs fault but he brought this paper thin squad and clear favoritism upon himself. I'm beginning to reminisce even moyes with fond nostalgia. But hey that's just me.

JK-27

Fact remains Jose was our most successful manager since SAF. Fact also remains that Woodward undermined Jose in the transfer market.

The final fact is that Woodward doesn't have, and has never had, a clear plan for getting us back to glory.

Greck

I don't know what else to tell you. You keep ignoring things that Mourinho said to give him excuses. It's quite confusing but I'll try again:

Did you even read the Dalot article? Mourinho literally said this:

and this here:

Fred: Mourinho even said they were chasing him since January

Sanchez: Mourinho showed every indication he wanted the player

Again they were all his signings and if they weren't he would have let the world know. Let's not make things anymore.
You're fighting a losing battle. Some of these guys are determined to revise history on those transfers. Once you're done with one another one will pop up saying the exact same thing you just debunked

Sterling Archer

And this just coincidentally happens at pretty much every club he's been to after a couple of seasons.

Nothing toxic about Jose's methods!
Actually no. Just the ones that are run by clowns - Abramovic and Perez. The former learned from his lesson and even admitted his fault.

steffyr2

Of course yeah. A pattern is a pattern. He either jumped ship for a better offer or burned the gaff down. It was only gonna end one way at United.
You just identified 2 ways it could end--jump ship or burn the gaff down. He's did #2 and is working on #1. He probably could have done #3, stay, but he would have had to had control over the players & didn't have that.

People keep trying to make it out that Mourinho is evil, but it turns out that what he said about the players was true. Can't get beyond that.

Greck

You just identified 2 ways it could end--jump ship or burn the gaff down. He's did #2 and is working on #1. He probably could have done #3, stay, but he would have had to had control over the players & didn't have that.

People keep trying to make it out that Mourinho is evil, but it turns out that what he said about the players was true. Can't get beyond that.
Problem is he bought those players.

Sterling Archer

Of course yeah. A pattern is a pattern. He either jumped ship for a better offer or burned the gaff down. It was only gonna end one way at United.
Now it's full circle back to my original point.

Mourinho blows up when you press the giant red button on his head that everybody and their mother already knows exists. If you hire him then push that button expecting him not to meltdown, you're an idiot. Hence why Ed Woodward is an idiot. Any fans expecting a different result also should consider that they don't fully grasp how this works.

Withnail

Now it's full circle back to my original point.

Mourinho blows up when you press the giant red button on his head that everybody and their mother already knows exists. If you hire him then push that button expecting him not to meltdown, you're an idiot. Hence why Ed Woodward is an idiot. Any fans expecting a different result also should consider that they don't fully grasp how this works.
There's never been any other result though, so ultimately the blame lies with him.

PeteManic

What is noticeable in this thread is that no one knows how football clubs, football teams, football changing rooms, or football players work.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What is noticeable in this thread is that no one knows how football clubs, football teams, football changing rooms, or football players work.
That's because they don't all work the same way.

Strelok

Yeah definitely his failure here was not because of him and he's a great manager.

No wonder so many big clubs interested in him now :houllier:

doriandun

The remit for Jose is different than other managers it like sending in a platoon to do the job of a hitman.Jose has to access the situation quickly to ensure he wins the league normally in his second season, he is not affored the fortune and patience that the like of Klopp and Poch,Poch has lost 18 games out of 40 this year alone to date.

As for th 2nd place finish, people seem to forget that Pogba was out for close to 3 months, returned in December 2017, and started playing up, with the media, banging on about playing him on the left of a three, also people seem to forget the team got to another final that year, which we lost against Chelsea.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Maybe not. But we do see the outcome and that is how they are judged.

Sterling Archer

You think if he stayed at those clubs everything would have been rosy?
Mate, you're missing the fundamental point here. When Jose signed there was a group of fans that said he will be meltdown in 3 years. That's his curse.

There was another that said, if the clubs executive pisses him off and undermines his expertise and authority with the players, then yes, he will. But that requires a party other than Jose Mourinho acting a certain way.

The first opinion is like superstition. It's like believing Friday the 13th is a bad luck day because you stepped in dog shit on those days, while walking through the city on your phone.

But maybe if you watched where you stepped, you might not have shit smeared all over yourself.

Jose Mourinho's difficult points were steaming piles of shit with big flashing warning signs a block away. Yet the club stepped right onto each and everyone of them. And now we're mad they were there in the first place? Then the idiot shouldn't have hired him.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Fact remains Jose was our most successful manager since SAF. Fact also remains that Woodward undermined Jose in the transfer market.

The final fact is that Woodward doesn't have, and has never had, a clear plan for getting us back to glory.
Quite correct.
It is clear that Jose himself is a divisive figure. He most certainly was the most successful manager since Sir Alex Ferguson. But, despite my appreciation of his many achievements, it just didn't work out.
Nevertheless, all the hate and bile thrown at him cannot detract from the fact that the reason it did not work out was not wholly down to him. He has gone but the basic problems remain.