g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

If not Ramos or Otamendi.....Then Which CB?

Devil may care

It's looking likely that De Gea will see out his contract here which means Ramos wont be heading to United, and yesterday after Woody's press rounds the story started up that we are actually not interested in Otamendi.

Now the latter might be BS but it might also be a case of us no longer needing to give Real the impression we have an alternative in place should they not play ball.

At any rate there's a chance we LvG has someone else in mind but who?

He's mentioned his love of left feet in last nights interview so maybe Laporte? and of course we could get into the mix for Stones, especially if Everton want Evans. Both are the type of ball playing CB's LvG seems to like but of course the issue will be that neither are experienced.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Maybe experience is less important to him than personality. For example, someone like Terry was more of a leader at a young age than most veteran CBs.

Of the young talent around, Laporte or Stones would probably be the players we'd most likely go for.

Mindhunter

Can anyone share a link of the Woodward interview please? Only found bits and pieces of it on different articles. Really surprised he ruled out Otamendi.

Devil may care

Maybe experience is less important to him than personality. For example, someone like Terry was more of a leader at a young age than most veteran CBs.

Of the young talent around, Laporte or Stones would probably be the players we'd most likely go for.
Fair points, I'd honestly be pretty happy if we got Stones if Ramos and Otamendi are not to be, I think he's on his way to being a top CB.

Can anyone share a link of the Woodward interview please? Only found bits and pieces of it on different articles. Really surprised he ruled out Otamendi.
He didn't say it in the interview but after he met with the press yesterday that night the stories started running of our interest in Pedro and that we weren't after Otamedni, leading to the theory that the journos had been briefed by him.

Mindhunter

He didn't say it in the interview but after he met with the press yesterday that night the stories started running of our interest in Pedro and that we weren't after Otamedni, leading to the theory that the journos had been briefed by him.
Thanks for clearing that. It's a relief. I am convinced that we are after Otamendi (all media reports though) and it would be great if we get him.

If not him then I would like us to take a punt with Stones. He is well established at his club but the lure of higher wages should be able to turn his head. Also, I am guessing Everton will look at offers above £24 million.

Varun

Staff
Even though I'd like to have Stones here, getting him shouldn't stop us from getting the defensive leader we need.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
When I was the last time he briefed the press about something that turned out to be true?

Jev

Is Laporte left-footed? Seems like a very likely option if so, although we seem to lack a more experienced player who would instantly become the best CB at the club. I still have a feeling that Real will budge and we'll get Ramos.

RedRevongge

Stones £20M + Evans
It's a pretty ridiculous transfer market where we would have to pay £20 million AND give away an experienced CL and domestic centre back in order to sign an inexperienced 21 year old. Shows how little we tend to value our players

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Out until 2016 with a knee injury.
I know. I wasn't being serious anyway he's good but I'd rather keep what we have if it wasn't going to be an experienced leader that has the quality to play in the top teams.

We have Smalling, Jones, Evans, Blind, Rojo, and even Carrick that can play at CB. Plus a better midfield.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Would be happy with Carrick, Jones and Rojo competing for that place next to Smalling. We don't need another defender now that our midfield is balanced and solid.

Ringo 07

Stones looks like a natural leader and a possible future England captain. Smalling is great but not really a leader. Jones hasn't really convinced yet with positional sense and composure.

AkaAkuma

It's looking likely that De Gea will see out his contract here which means Ramos wont be heading to United, and yesterday after Woody's press rounds the story started up that we are actually not interested in Otamendi.

Now the latter might be BS but it might also be a case of us no longer needing to give Real the impression we have an alternative in place should they not play ball.

At any rate there's a chance we LvG has someone else in mind but who?

He's mentioned his love of left feet in last nights interview so maybe Laporte? and of course we could get into the mix for Stones, especially if Everton want Evans. Both are the type of ball playing CB's LvG seems to like but of course the issue will be that neither are experienced.
I can only find the daily star running the otamendi off story, everybody else are saying its close.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It's a good point but I don't like the thought of Chelsea getting him! We probably do need more experience - if Godin was available at a reasonable price that would be worthwhile.
Yeah, I'm with you. Ramos and Stones!

settembrini

Would be happy with Carrick, Jones and Rojo competing for that place next to Smalling. We don't need another defender now that our midfield is balanced and solid.
Same. Except not Carrick at centre back, either keep Evans or give McNair more chances.

If we do sign someone it will be an experienced leader like Ramos. I really don't see us going for a young player like Laporte or Stones (not for big money anyway, signing that Holgate lad for a million or two seems realistic though).

The White Pele

I'd be a lot more comfortable with our current centre-back options if it is true that De Gea is staying for another year. The experience of Schweinsteiger in front of them is a positive too. Maybe Jones will finally have a breakthrough season. If Smalling can form a consistent partnership with somebody then we will be much better thank last season.