If the super league happens, will you still support Man United? Now with added poll

If the super league happens, will you still support Man United?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jibbs

Offcourse all fans will, Sooner or later. There is no party who is a saint here. UEFA and FIFA are corrupt to the core, p*mps of ME monarchies. Owners of these break away clubs are similarly pure greedy businessmen and in case of man city same monarchs.
These Gary Neville types who are just cashing in public sentiments will jump at the chance to cover the break away league at the right price.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Yes.

And honestly, i dont think the Super League is going to happen. Its a shite idea hatched out by some greedy cnuts and considering the pushback it gets from pretty much the entire football world it would be daft to go through with it

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
And in 10 years time, when the Glazers see an opportunity to make more money by moving the Red Devils United brand to Dallas or Tokyo? Will Manchester United still be Manchester United then?

How far do you bend before you break? I should have walked in 2005 but didn't out of similar sentiment to yours now. Back then people said today would never happen.
Well let's just see if it does. I very much hope not and I am, like you unhappy with their intentions. But I suspect that there may be some way to go yet with this.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I tried to stop supporting the club when the Glazers took over, opting instead to support FCUOM. I lasted less than a week before I returned to the club I've supported since childhood.

The same would happen again if I tried to step away this time, I'd imagine. Then again, I've felt a growing disconnect with the club for years now, so it might be different this time.

Dante

Average bang
As long as we're based in Manchester, play at Old Trafford, wear a red shirt, and keep the red devil badge.

If any of the above changes, we'd stop being Manchester United Football Club. Then there wouldn't be any point.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Wasnt United one of the original Big Five clubs 30 years ago that broke away from the old Division One, fueled by Sky Sports?
I supported United back in the old Divison One, thru the Sky years and will do so in the post-Sky (Amazon, Google & Disney) future

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
The second the club enters a European Super League, it stops being the club I loved. A club which cares about its community, its history and grassroots football. The second it makes this move, it becomes a corporation that cares only for greed.

I certainly won't support football anymore if this goes through. It pains me to say that as a regular match attendee. Football is one of the few staples in my life, but I won't be interested in supporting anymore if this plot comes to fruition.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I tried to stop supporting the club when the Glazers took over, opting instead to support FCUOM. I lasted less than a week before I returned to the club I've supported since childhood.

The same would happen again if I tried to step away this time, I'd imagine. Then again, I've felt a growing disconnect with the club for years now, so it might be different this time.
What are they upto these days anyway?

Brightonian

I completely agree, and that would take a lot of the competition for a higher finish in the domestic leagues.

But my take on this is that at this moments there are only 12-15 clubs on board, so they have to participate. Eventually, they will surely want to broaden the competition and include more teams. And once other teams see that there is better financial return, and it is run by actual clubs, they would be encouraged to join. This will mean qualification through league position would be a must. In the long run, even the founding teams would have to qualify, but they may maintain their place in the decision making forum as founders. They might even pocket part of the profit even if they aren't participating a certain year.

Anyways, i still think it wont happen. This is just a public negotiation, and there has to be some middle ground that keeps both sides happy.
They will never give up their guaranteed spots because it is the key reason for the breakaway in the first place. Big money has invested in football, and found it an unsatisfactory investment because no matter how much you spend it turns out football remains unpredictable. So they have decided to change football the eliminate the unpredictability and thus guarantee stable returns. That is, at its heart, what this competition is about.

Halftrack

That's interesting as the 15 elite clubs planned holds a place for 2 German and 1 French club.

I wonder if the thinking is that those clubs will join later if the challenges to the Super League fail?
I don't think any of them can really just decide to do so without the fans, due to the ownership rules there. The only clubs exempt from those rules are Wolfsburg, Bayer Leverkusen and Hoffenheim, so I guess technically they could decide to join the ESL. They're all shit, though. Wolfsburg's got one of the best women's teams in the world, though, so you'd probably want them in a women's ESL, at least if you want to sell it as having the best of the best (though they killed any chance of that by inviting Arsenal and Tottenham.)

FatTails

Probably not, but to be fair, I’ve been slowly feeling less attached to the club and football in general.

Things like Haaland being paraded around Europe to find the highest bidder in the middle of the pandemic, the collective acceptance of City’s and PSG’s “business model”, the one-sidedness of so many games in so many top leagues due to the completely unregulated hoarding of talent, the awful mismanagement over the years at United where too much money is thrown at players only for them to join, be crap, and then leave at a huge financial loss and go on to be great for some other team, and so many more reasons.

This is just the icing on the cake. United or any of the teams in the Rich Clubs League can perpetually finish 10th in their 10 team league, and maybe 15th in their domestic league, yet perpetually have a financial advantage over clubs doing the right things (buying smart, developing players) who are outside the special chosen 15 or the other 5 they gracefully allow to participate in a particular year.

I love the game itself too much to completely tune out. Hopefully after all these changes, I’ll find something fun to watch where teams don’t have cheat codes (oil money, guaranteed income through a league they own and so on) and good long term planning is rewarded, and mismanagement is punished rather than covered over by unfair financial advantages.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
They will never give up their guaranteed spots because it is the key reason for the breakaway in the first place. Big money has invested in football, and found it an unsatisfactory investment because no matter how much you spend it turns out football remains unpredictable. So they have decided to change football the eliminate the unpredictability and thus guarantee stable returns. That is, at its heart, what this competition is about.
If that remains the case, i will be strongly against it. As you said, the unpredictability of football gives us some of its best moments, and is many times in the form of upsets at the expense of one of these 12-15 clubs. Eliminating that is death to the game indeed.

red4ever 79

The second the club enters a European Super League, it stops being the club I loved. A club which cares about its community, its history and grassroots football. The second it makes this move, it becomes a corporation that cares only for greed.

I certainly won't support football anymore if this goes through. It pains me to say that as a regular match attendee. Football is one of the few staples in my life, but I won't be interested in supporting anymore if this plot comes to fruition.
Wait until they change their name to Raiders United FC and move stadiums to London, and play games in Singapore during the middle of the night, with adverts every 15mins sponsored by Wendy's

Tapori

sadly agree

vidic blood & sand

If what's being proposed does go ahead, I don't think it's a case of whether people will continue to support Manchester United or not, it's the having to accept that Manchester United is no longer a fan driven football club (it hasn't been for years really, but we've been pretending it still is). It's simply a global enterprise selling an entertainment product to a world market, to everyone who can afford the pay per view prices to watch glamorous exhibition style football. The club has abandoned the fans, not the other way round. There are no fans anymore. On match days the club will simply be saying to the world, if you want to watch a game of football tonight involving two elite european teams, go on to our website and pay £20+ and you'll have full access. The club will not be addressing people as fans, but as customers. Whether people support the club or not, and have a deep attachment to everything Manchester United is historically, and what it's meant to you personally throughout your life, means absolutely nothing. Do you want access to our product? That's it.
This is not the Manchester United we supported as kids, and have grown up with. So for me it's not a case of whether fans will stop supporting the club, it's more a case of the club disowning the fans.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
I'll still support Rashford, McTominay, Henderson, Greenwood, etc. Whatever league they play in, I'll hope they improve and become the best players they can be. I'll probably watch the games as watching United is just a habit. Will I care as much about it as the CL, that remains to be seen. Maybe it will be a dud and turn into a glorified friendly. Maybe it will be a better product with more cohesive rules away from the lunatics at IFAB and solve the unbelievable number of issues with VAR with a better standard of refereeing (hey one can hope right?).

It's all in flux at the moment. However I don't think United have done a good job of selling this idea to their fans at all. I mean you hear reports of players only hearing about it online and being kept in the dark, that makes me really dislike the club and the people that run it. But I still like the players so that'll probably keep me coming back. And maybe I stick around til Ole does. But what after that? Who knows.

Last edited:

vidic blood & sand

I supported United back in the old Divison One, thru the Sky years and will do so in the post-Sky (Amazon, Google & Disney) future
Do the clubs need these platforms in the UK?
Why not sell the games themselves and show them on their own channels. Maximize profits.

ti vu

No. Not with this disgraceful founder privilege.

I definitely see the need for the Super League or CL reforms (I made a thread about Super League a while ago. Started very few threads myself), but not going about dicking all domestic leagues, the history for greedy owner' sake.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
With all the backlash before it even starts, its just a matter of time that what they thought was a money generator turns into something that quickly destroy their clubs. All the expected revenues come from the fans, if the fans hate the competition then good bye. Football cannot survive without the fans, the supporters. Fecking greedy bastard owners.

Ixion

It would be a slow change to where the club no longer cares about the Premier League, and then starts playing the odd "home" game abroad, then several. And then all bets are off, relocation, rebranding (over many years). The owners do not care for the history or local fans of these teams, they are considered hindrances to more profit in Asia, the Americas etc. They want to turn these 12 teams into NFL franchises.

So if this goes through I don't believe the club will remain the one I've always supported, it will slowly be morphed into something else I have no connection with and don't support.

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
Wait until they change their name to Raiders United FC and move stadiums to London, and play games in Singapore during the middle of the night, with adverts every 15mins sponsored by Wendy's
They’ve already moved their registered office to London, because it has more prestige than Salford, and their business address to the Cayman Islands, for the purpose of avoiding UK taxation.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I will always support the club in whatever competition it takes part it, but if this comes to fruition and represents the values of our ownership, then you can't help but feel disgusted by them.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
No. Not with this disgraceful founder privilege.

I definitely see the need for the Super League or CL reforms (I made a thread about Super League a while ago. Started very few threads myself), but not going about dicking all domestic leagues, the history for greedy owner' sake.
Same for me. UEFA can do one and I appreciate clubs wanting more autonomy but not at the price of competition and purely assumed greed.
These morons have yet to explain how other clubs will benefit from it

vidic blood & sand

I will always support the club in whatever competition it takes part it, but if this comes to fruition and represents the values of our ownership, then you can't help but feel disgusted by them.
I just don't see how this makes sense. When you say you'll continue to support the club (it's no longer a club), are you saying you'll be willing to pay whatever it costs to watch the games played by the *club* you're disgusted with?

amolbhatia50k

I just don't see how this makes sense. When you say you'll continue to support the club (it's no longer a club), are you saying you'll be willing to pay whatever it costs to watch the games played by the *club* you're disgusted with?
The Glazers own and run the club now but the football has a lot more to it - tradition, history, legends, fans, playes, managers etc.

Did all Americans stop caring about their country completely due to the orange one being their president? Obviously the Glazers are in it for the longer haul

amolbhatia50k

Same for me. UEFA can do one and I appreciate clubs wanting more autonomy but not at the price of competition and purely assumed greed.
These morons have yet to explain how other clubs will benefit from it
I hope fan pressure results in this being changed.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
oates has followed Arsenal for 50 years, the same for me with United. However, because we support different clubs the best experience we've had together in football was when we were living in Norfolk, and went to all of Norwich's home games.

I think we'd be following their fortunes more closely again if Arsenal and United are expelled from the PL.

Albin Johansson

Zoltan Gera bicycle kicked 2-0 for Fulham against United @ Craven Cottage in 2009 in front of me and my dad. That was enough for giving me a massive soft spot for fulham, especially that Hodgson side. Plus the Craven Cottage is just beautiful and they got this weird terrible MJ statue outside. I think I could be genuinely emotionally invested in some year if I put my heart into it and watch games. Of course it's not easy to just stop supporting the team I've been following my whole life, and I'd live the rest of my days with a red devil tattoo that would be a constant reminder of the good times. But this is a no-go for me. It's about making the rich richer and excluding the poor and the weak from the scene. United, Glazers, and all other retarded dickhead corps can go feck themselves, and the sole reason I came to this forum this morning was to see if we're mobilizing against it or not. If players and fans refuses to visit and play I'm sure we could stop this from happening, unfortunately I don't know if a braindead TikTok fan will be as invested, but the protest needs to be massive so that the potential financial loss becomes too much of a risk for the greedy.

Last edited:

JuriM

I wouldn't touch Super League with a twelve feet pole - I am watching Prem & CL/EL for the football I love - If United isn't in any of them, then it's one supporter less for them.

vidic blood & sand

The Glazers own and run the club now but the football has a lot more to it - tradition, history, legends, fans, playes, managers etc.

Did all Americans stop caring about their country completely due to the orange one being their president? Obviously the Glazers are in it for the longer haul
I understand what United means to us who have grown up as kids idolizing the team, and that we have this deep personal connection to the history and rivalry etc, and no one can simply switch that off and walk away. Believe me I appreciate that.
I guess what I'm saying is, in reality we'll no longer be supporters of a team competing for legitimate honors. Winning trophies will not be the prime objective of the team we're routing for. The success of the business will be measured in profit, not in on field success.
In time there will be no fan banter and debate, because the business won't be fan based. Why get angry and passionate about a team without the ambition to succeed, if success is not measured by winning football matches?
The reason we as fans get so passionate about the premier league and champions league, and the rivalry, is because it's driven by a competing will to win. That won't exist in the ESL.

RatPack

Guess I will always be a Man Utd fan. But I will not watch or spend any money on them again.
Do not care if it is a SL or CL. But no relegation or qualification just makes it into show matches.
And surely this will effect the Premier League in the future. Why concentrate on PL if you don't give a crap about where you finish. Just play the reserves.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I guess what I'm saying is, in reality we'll no longer be supporters of a team competing for legitimate honors. Winning trophies will not be the prime objective of the team we're routing for. The success of the business will be measured in profit, not in on field success.
In time there will be no fan banter and debate, because the business won't be fan based. Why get angry and passionate about a team without the ambition to succeed, if success is not measured by winning football matches?
The reason we as fans get so passionate about the premier league and champions league, and the rivalry, is because it's driven by a competing will to win. That won't exist in the ESL.
You say this but you know the Glazer's Tampa Bay Bucs won the Super Bowl?