'If this continues I'm done with United for the season!' Really?

Flytan

I think you’re starting a completely different conversation to the point that I am trying to make.

I understand disgruntled fans. I don’t understand, nor will I ever accept that people stop watching or supporting because of poor performances or lack of success, which is ultimately what some people are saying.

I have considered stopping going to games in the past but never, ever because of the manager or the performances or the lack of winning game or trophies.

I some of the comments in this thread particularly pretty pathetic
You dont understand why people would prioritize other commitments and do other fun things for entertainment instead of watching Manchester united flounder under this manager? This is where I think people like you are delusional. Sports are a form of entertainment. If it is not entertaining (getting blasted by rivals constantly is not) then you should take your money elsewhere. Sports should never be a job. You're acting like fans somehow owe it to the club to stick with them when they aren't even trying to be competent. Fans should in mass take their money and eyes (advertising money) and invest their time in something entertaining until united gets their pathetic act together.

You seem to have some idea that fans owe the club. Wrong. Fans existing is why the clubs exist. They need us to like football and if the product is ass, we should let it be known.

It's better for the club longterm anyways. We seem to be the only fans base that thinks we owe the club.. It's so fecking weird. Stop worshipping clubs and managers like they're deities.

That being said I'm going to watch every game because I'm an idiot and honestly I want to see the moment ole is fired.

Spoony

The People's President
You dont understand why people would prioritize other commitments and do other fun things for entertainment instead of watching Manchester united flounder under this manager? This is where I think people like you are delusional. Sports are a form of entertainment. If it is not entertaining (getting blasted by rivals constantly is not) then you should take your money elsewhere. Sports should never be a job. You're acting like fans somehow owe it to the club to stick with them when they aren't even trying to be competent. Fans should in mass take their money and eyes (advertising money) and invest their time in something entertaining until united gets their pathetic act together.

You seem to have some idea that fans owe the club. Wrong. Fans existing is why the clubs exist. They need us to like football and if the product is ass, we should let it be known.

It's better for the club longterm anyways. We seem to be the only fans base that thinks we owe the club.. It's so fecking weird. Stop worshipping clubs and managers like they're deities.

That being said I'm going to watch every game because I'm an idiot and honestly I want to see the moment ole is fired.

Why not follow another team that's currently entertaining then? I mean you said you ought to take your money elsewhere.

Denis79

Ole has turned it around before and there's no reason to think that he won't turn it around this season.
He hasn't though, we have been inconsistent like this since he took over. We've had spells we were flying high to then hit the mud again a few weeks later. Inconsistency for such a long time is a clear sign he isn't a top manager that is able to make us compete at the highest level.

His tactics, philosophy is so dependant on the brilliance of his players. Tactics and players should complement eachother, if the players have a bad day they should be able to fall back on positioning and patterns and maybe grind a result, with Ole there is no such thing. We collapse so often and so violently because his tactical knowledge is average at best.

I feel really sorry for him because I really like him as a person and former player but he is in way over his head at United.

hobbers

You're acting like fans somehow owe it to the club to stick with them when they aren't even trying to be competent.
That's the key point here. What the club are doing now is active self-sabotage.

Supporting the board's decision making over the last 2 weeks is not supporting the club. But some people genuinely think clapping along every week with a vacant look on their face is somehow showing better support than demanding there be some kind of standards.

Flytan

Why not follow any other team that's currently entertaining then? I mean you said you ought to take your money elsewhere.
I do follow other teams, that doesn't mean I support or care about them. You act as if not supporting united during a period of them being run by nepotism and nostalgia means I stop supporting them forever or something.

Why is it so hard for people to comprehend that you can dislike a situation on it's own without disliking the thing itself?

Eventually ole will be fired, it should have been weeks ago or if we were proactive even longer, but he will be gone. He's too inept to making it to next year. The players will end up hating him by the end of the season.

So if that means I don't have to wake up at 7 am to watch a few games this year, great.

Again, you people act like you owe the club allegiance like it's your family. It's not. The club doesn't treat you like you are, so stop pretending it is. If it's doing something stupid, use your brain and act accordingly.

miked99

Luckily my high horse isn’t very high so I’ll be ok even if I was to fall off.

If you think it’s acceptable to support the team and bounce about when they’re winning and then throw your toys out of your pram when things are quite as rosey, I’d argue that maybe high level professional football isn’t for you.

The attitude of a number of fans, not just you, on here and in general is absolutely abhorrent IMO. Unfortunately, my trigger finger landed on you.

If you Don’t like the tough times as a football fan, tough. It happens. Consider yourself lucky to have had the period of unrivalled success that we have seen, presumably since your birth, and take the rest on the chin.

You have no ability to change anything.
Exactly this. This thread reads like something from RAWK, where half the forum flouncily announces that they're "done with football" on a weekly basis.

I support the team because I love the club. Being a supporter means just that, you're there for the bad times as well as the good. And we've had more good times than 99% of football fans the world over could ever dream of. So much so it got to the point where winning the league felt almost routine. Still great, but not like that first time. When we next win it, it will feel all the more special for going through the leaner times.

It's so easy to support a team when they're winning all the time. If those are the only conditions in which you can provide support then no-one, anywhere will miss you.

20 games = W2 D8 L10 and I don't remember one person wanting the manager to be sacked!

SAF had a couple of bad October-December months but nothing that bad, so we’re going back a looooong way here.

Are we as far back as the Doc? Please tell me you’re not bringing up fecking Sir Matt in ‘62?

Last edited:

telstar96

I haven't lost faith in the club, but I have to admit the last few weeks have been tough. Choosing not to sack Ole, whilst Conte went to Spurs was hard to watch. Now, there are no available managers on the market and we are stuck in our circumstance. I suppose we just have to power through this turbulent time and hope there is light at the end of the tunnel when the season ends.

Withnail

You seem to be arguing against yourself here.

You say it's entertainment and there's no issue with fans walking away or not watching games as it's only entertainment after all.

You then say you'll be watching every game so it obviously more than that to you, no?

Denis79

You say it's entertainment and there's no issue with fans walking away or not watching games as it's only entertainment after all.

You then say you'll be watching every game so it obviously more than that to you, no?
We have all been there - "I've had enough of this shit, next weekend I'm going golfing instead!" Yet there you are glued to the telly watching United a few days later.

People are just venting their frustration, just means they care.

Flytan

I mean that's the point. We're literally emotionally blackmailed by the situation. I assume most people feel that way no?

The club knows its' fans are trapped in an impossible situation so it keeps the status quo. It's why I wish match day fans were actually in revolt. They're the ones in a situation in which they can influence the club while not cutting ties with it.

OleTheGreat

Seems to be a common sign off to posts of late. How many of you saying it would actually see that through?

Admit it: you're here to see the car crash and watch the fallout with the rest of us!

What would it genuinely take for you to not watch Manchester United?
Till death do us apart

Withnail

I mean that's the point. We're literally emotionally blackmailed by the situation. I assume most people feel that way no?

The club knows its' fans are trapped in an impossible situation so it keeps the status quo. It's why I wish match day fans were actually in revolt. They're the ones in a situation in which they can influence the club while not cutting ties with it.
No, I've never felt emotionally blackmailed. That's one of the ridiculous takes I've seen on here lately.

I support the team, I will always support the team, and will watch as many of the matches as I can. I doubt I'll ever walk away, to be honest.

There was boo-ing at the end of the last game so the crowd are turning. If results continue to be poor you'll get your wish but hopefully, the club get the finger out first.

lex talionis

I was just thinking this the other day and you're right a football team not doing well is exactly the same as someone being burned alive in a horrific accident.
Not quite. I seriously doubt many of us will actually stop watching United even if we drop into a relegation battle. There will always be what are called “rubberneckers”.

Denis79

Not quite. I seriously doubt many of us will actually stop watching United even if we drop into a relegation battle. There will always be what are called “rubberneckers”.
I actually had involuntary break from watching us during one of our best periods (2007-2009), life came in the way at the time. But I'm really happy I got the time now to watch every game now :lol:.

iato89

How can you support an inept manager and a much more inept board? The club needs a revolt asap and you simply cant just turn up and support all this circus.

I wouldn't watch United if the club was bought buy a tyrannical, inhumane dictatorship.

I haven't given United any money since the Glazers bought the club. They're cnuts who are exploiting United to make money - but they're not the head of a murderous dictatorship that's killed, tortured, imprisoned and dehumanised millions of people.

Rajma

I think you’re starting a completely different conversation to the point that I am trying to make.

I understand disgruntled fans. I don’t understand, nor will I ever accept that people stop watching or supporting because of poor performances or lack of success, which is ultimately what some people are saying.

I have considered stopping going to games in the past but never, ever because of the manager or the performances or the lack of winning game or trophies.

I some of the comments in this thread particularly pretty pathetic
Apologies for a late response but I did come across this thread on Twitter which summarises the point I was making.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Name the season

Bad run #1 (10 games October-December)

LDLLDDDDLL

Bad run #2 April- May (10 games April-May)

LDLLWLDDWL

20 games = W2 D8 L10 and I don't remember one person wanting the manager to be sacked or suggesting they were through with watching United.

Still a packed house at OldTrafford every week supporting the team. We have been through much worst spells and survived.

"If this continues I'm done..."

Oh FFS!

K Stand Knut

Apologies for a late response but I did come across this thread on Twitter which summarises the point I was making.

And that is a very solid point and fair argument. It’s also one i wholeheartedly agree with.

I just think it’s a different conversation to the point of this thread, which seems to be that people will give up following/watching the team because we’ve become less good than we were in years gone by, which I don’t understand and never will (*waits for more responses telling me I’m wrong*).

Being disgruntled at the way the club is run is completely fair game

croadyman

Do you get paid every time you make a post that includes the phrase yankee leeches? So much rage, just log off, do something else. The way you talk is worrying.
There is a rage whether I am offline or online because they are dragging this club down to the pits and can't keep quiet

stevoc

Not quite.
Yeah you're right the football team thing is actually much worse.

I seriously doubt many of us will actually stop watching United even if we drop into a relegation battle. There will always be what are called “rubberneckers”.
The term you're looking for mate is ''supporters'' I reckon.

stevoc

:lol:

Same here.
Yeah I'm sure the guy that got burned probably had a wife and kids and they were sad and that. But have they experienced watching the football team they support getting beat 5-0 at home?

I doubt it, and an experience like that gives you real perspective on the important things in life doesn't it?

stevoc

Name the season

LDLLDDDDLL

LDLLWLDDWL

20 games = W2 D8 L10 and I don't remember one person wanting the manager to be sacked or suggesting they were through with watching United.

Still a packed house at OldTrafford every week supporting the team. We have been through much worst spells and survived.

Oh FFS!
I give up which season was it?

80-90's?

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
When I was a kid my parents and I were driving down the freeway and we passed a car that was on fire. As we got closer to it we could see the driver was trapped and was literally being burned to death. There was way too much traffic to stop. I couldn’t help but turn to take a long look as we drove away.

Similar situation now.
What the actual feck? Similar situation?

croadyman

Name the season

LDLLDDDDLL

LDLLWLDDWL

Oh FFS!
YES because back then you could actually see what the manager was trying to do whereas now he looks clueless and to make matters worse this board are panicking and don't know how to cope with this massive crisis we are in

Siviz

Supports
Swansea
Can't really call yourself a fan if you only support your team while the going is good. Moreover, the entitlement among some is quite ridiculous when they're whinging about everything and comparing watching United to watching people getting burned alive - all because United is in sixth place and not playing very well. Rather pathetic, to be honest.

LoneStar

I will continue watching the games, but that’s it. I will not go out of my way to reschedule things to fit the match times though. i haven’t logged into this forum or any football related subreddit much for the last two weeks, and this will continue for the foreseeable future. No use discussing about or spending time thinking about a ‘franchise‘ which doesn’t care about its fans.

The CL games are at 1:30AM here, and I’m already not arsed to watch them. Certainly not worth losing sleep over this team and manager. I have started watching other PL games, and they are honestly more enjoyable these days.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Watching a club perform badly but knowing that everyone is trying their best to improve and behind the scenes they are working as hard as they can even if the ability isn’t quite there is different to watching a project like United where after a decade it’s one self inflicted car crash after the other and with the whole Super League debacle and the way they constantly ignore common sense decisions or the will of the fans... it is the worst run Sports club pound for pound considering the money it generates. The constant feeling that people are being rewarded for mediocrity.

That is what is pushing people away rather than not wanting to support a team which is going through a bad patch. There is a deeper malaise. It reminds me of the Tory government but in football form. A club which just doesn’t reflect my personal values anymore and I think many people feel the same. Will this be a long term problem - no I’m sure we will get it right eventually but it’ll probably take the Glazers finally walking away for it to happen.

Moby

Dick
Think you’d have to be absolutely mental to pay for a general sale ticket or hospitality package right now with Ole still at the wheel.

Imagine the dolts paying £600 or whatever it is for a hospitality package to the arsenal game, where Lego pep will inevitably stuff us.
Err, you know that package has very little to do with the actual games? Majority of the people who pay for those packages and are there with their entire families couldn't give a lesser feck about the games and are barely in their senses at the time the game begins. The events that matter are before and after the game, especially the post-game meet and greets. I know that from working as VIP hospitality across stadiums in the UK.

Dearg hÉireann

Watching a club perform badly but knowing that everyone is trying their best to improve and behind the scenes they are working as hard as they can even if the ability isn’t quite there is different to watching a project like United where after a decade it’s one self inflicted car crash after the other and with the whole Super League debacle and the way they constantly ignore common sense decisions or the will of the fans... it is the worst run Sports club pound for pound considering the money it generates. The constant feeling that people are being rewarded for mediocrity.

That is what is pushing people away rather than not wanting to support a team which is going through a bad patch. There is a deeper malaise. It reminds me of the Tory government but in football form. A club which just doesn’t reflect my personal values anymore and I think many people feel the same. Will this be a long term problem - no I’m sure we will get it right eventually but it’ll probably take the Glazers finally walking away for it to happen.
This post echo's my sentiment to a tee.

Rewarding mediocrity is what we do, making crazy decisions over and over. It honestly is like groundhog Day since Ferguson left.

It won't matter which manager we get next because when you have people running the club like we do it's doomed for failure.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Can't really call yourself a fan if you only support your team while the going is good. Moreover, the entitlement among some is quite ridiculous when they're whinging about everything and comparing watching United to watching people getting burned alive - all because United is in sixth place and not playing very well. Rather pathetic, to be honest.
Seen this put forward a few times in this thread and was going to point out it's essentially a strawman that is triumphantly argued against whilst having barely any grounds in the discussion going on.

Sticking with a team through the thick and thin of them playing well/poorly/dreadfully but following the common ideals their fanbase identify with is not the same as watching wilful self-sabotage, indifference and malaise at board level filtered down to a staff that don't know what they're doing, which, common sense should dictate will lead to a mass exodus of the best players who refuse to partake in the circus any longer and will look out for themselves and their careers if the club they're playing for is perfectly happy to write off seasons in November. Ronaldo will most certainly be the first out the door if we're a Europa team next season, for example, with other top quality players been completely justified in asking their agents to find them a new club.

I can't even name an equivalent club to us because at Barcelona, everything was rosy until their financial incompetence caught up with them - ultimately they spent like imbeciles for the benefit of the club. Foolish in sentiment, but at least with the common goal of making the team the best it could be. At Ashley's Newcastle, they mightn't have played good football, but at least had a manager, team and staff that was in line with their standing. Newcastle are a traditionally attacking team, so the fans were let down there, but they were resigned to their lot knowing things couldn't be much better without Ashley releasing funds he had no intention of doing.

United are covered in Japanese knotweed with clearly addressable footballing problems draped all over them, even though we're thin in midfield, anyone stating this is not a world class squad, ripe for a good manager and coaching staff to challenge on all fronts is to be summarily dismissed. United finally have a squad that should, and would, be competing if the footballing side of the franchise had a clue. This frustrates the majority of the fanbase because they can see not only the issues unfolding in real-time, but also the very real likelihood of it damaging the club going forward for years yet as we face a departures of players who have it in them to make us a force, who will then need to be replaced with equivalent level players, who, in their right mind, will avoid us like the plague given their options.

This is a pivotal season, one we could still be challenging in, and yet some fans seem to be happy to watch the ship go down... for no reason at all. This isn't the 70's or 80's where we had mountains to climb and the expectations set for the club had faded: we're a global superpower who spend in a manner only Real and Barcelona can outside of the oil clubs. There is no excuse for the way the season is unfolding - it doesn't matter that it's Ole overseeing a 0-5 loss to Liverpool; off the back of a shocking season up to that point, only managers with credit in the bank should survive such a compound humiliation, and then, we flail until the disgraceful City game that was ostensibly worse than the Liverpool one despite the scoreline. That's not 'thick and thin': that's the territory of what is the board playing at? It shouldn't be common to be complicit in watching your team be routinely routed, its players exasperated for no good reason. This isn't underdogs in the trenches stuff - the strawman narrative doesn't fit, to the point I'd ask you to name another team that mirrors what's happening here. Clubs that spend £400m in three seasons can be counted on two hands: name a single one of them that passively sits an leaves its support up in arms.

What we have is a lot of self-serving people in key positions not looking out for the club, but rather their own position(s) in the establishment, again, something you won't find an equivalency with elsewhere because we're the worst run giant in football, if not sport.

Supposedly:

- The Glazers don't want any manager in who will kick up a fuss and comment about the football side of things, which other side in the world can this kind of accusation be hurled at?

- Woodward, supposedly doesn't want to sack the manager because it makes him look bad - at no point in there is there concern about the actual club he's working for.

- Ole is doing all sorts of madness with a squad that's worth an obscene amount to save his skin rather than benefit it [squad], his survival mode is causing ruptures that mightn't heal if left too long as half the squad he's alienated will have morale on the floor and the other half playing no matter what, whether fit or not, which benefits nobody.

Our problems run deeper than not being an 'entertaining brand' or feeling sorry for ourselves for one or two bad performances: we're in freefall and for all intents and purposes, it looks like nothing will be done about it until the season is an absolute write-off, which makes no sense at all.

Frustration is running rampant and the support is practically at arms with one another as camps have become staunch and entrenched: it should be pretty clear to see why some say they are 'done'.
If a few bad games was all there was to what's going on, I doubt people would be up in arms. And despite the rhetoric, if Ole was capable, I doubt there'd be many who would want him out.

It's also not entitlement to want to see your side do the best its resources allow, where again, a £400m investment should not see a side languishing playing atrocious football. I'd actually like to ask you what you believe £400m of investment should warrant, and at which point expectation for that £400m reaches the point of entitlement - where do these lines blur, in your opinion? Should nothing be said whilst the manager benches £200m+ at a time because he doesn't know how to utilise the talent at his disposal?

Anyway, for all that said, I am one of the poor buggers who will be watching every [needless] humiliation through to the end and taking that anger/disappointment into the remainder of my day/weekend. It'll not have the same energy or connection some want it to have where we were underdogs and Fergie's era of dominance hadn't yet been undertaken, and it is a nonsense in this time, with this investment, and this squad, to liken what's happening now to those kind of tough times of the past. It's nothing alike: this is just gross incompetence at every single level on a scale I'd challenge anyone to find an equivalency to in United's history.

Spoony

The People's President
Seen this put forward a few times in this thread and was going to point out it's essentially a strawman that is triumphantly argued against whilst having barely any grounds in the discussion going on.

Sticking with a team through the thick and thin of them playing well/poorly/dreadfully but following the common ideals their fanbase identify with is not the same as watching wilful self-sabotage, indifference and malaise at board level filtered down to a staff that don't know what they're doing, which, common sense should dictate will lead to a mass exodus of the best players who refuse to partake in the circus any longer and will look out for themselves and their careers if the club they're playing for is perfectly happy to write off seasons in November. Ronaldo will most certainly be the first out the door if we're a Europa team next season, for example, with other top quality players been completely justified in asking their agents to find them a new club.

I can't even name an equivalent club to us because at Barcelona, everything was rosy until their financial incompetence caught up with them - ultimately they spent like imbeciles for the benefit of the club. Foolish in sentiment, but at least with the common goal of making the team the best it could be. At Ashley's Newcastle, they mightn't have played good football, but at least had a manager, team and staff that was in line with their standing. Newcastle are a traditionally attacking team, so the fans were let down there, but they were resigned to their lot knowing things couldn't be much better without Ashley releasing funds he had no intention of doing.

United are covered in Japanese knotweed with clearly addressable footballing problems draped all over them, even though we're thin in midfield, anyone stating this is not a world class squad, ripe for a good manager and coaching staff to challenge on all fronts is to be summarily dismissed. United finally have a squad that should, and would, be competing if the footballing side of the franchise had a clue. This frustrates the majority of the fanbase because they can see not only the issues unfolding in real-time, but also the very real likelihood of it damaging the club going forward for years yet as we face a departures of players who have it in them to make us a force, who will then need to be replaced with equivalent level players, who, in their right mind, will avoid us like the plague given their options.

This is a pivotal season, one we could still be challenging in, and yet some fans seem to be happy to watch the ship go down... for no reason at all. This isn't the 70's or 80's where we had mountains to climb and the expectations set for the club had faded: we're a global superpower who spend in a manner only Real and Barcelona can outside of the oil clubs. There is no excuse for the way the season is unfolding - it doesn't matter that it's Ole overseeing a 0-5 loss to Liverpool; off the back of a shocking season up to that point, only managers with credit in the bank should survive such a compound humiliation, and then, we flail until the disgraceful City game that was ostensibly worse than the Liverpool one despite the scoreline. That's not 'thick and thin': that's the territory of what is the board playing at? It shouldn't be common to be complicit in watching your team be routinely routed, its players exasperated for no good reason. This isn't underdogs in the trenches stuff - the strawman narrative doesn't fit, to the point I'd ask you to name another team that mirrors what's happening here. Clubs that spend £400m in three seasons can be counted on two hands: name a single one of them that passively sits an leaves its support up in arms.

What we have is a lot of self-serving people in key positions not looking out for the club, but rather their own position(s) in the establishment, again, something you won't find an equivalency with elsewhere because we're the worst run giant in football, if not sport.

Supposedly:

- The Glazers don't want any manager in who will kick up a fuss and comment about the football side of things, which other side in the world can this kind of accusation be hurled at?

- Woodward, supposedly doesn't want to sack the manager because it makes him look bad - at no point in there is there concern about the actual club he's working for.

- Ole is doing all sorts of madness with a squad that's worth an obscene amount to save his skin rather than benefit it [squad], his survival mode is causing ruptures that mightn't heal if left too long as half the squad he's alienated will have morale on the floor and the other half playing no matter what, whether fit or not, which benefits nobody.

Our problems run deeper than not being an 'entertaining brand' or feeling sorry for ourselves for one or two bad performances: we're in freefall and for all intents and purposes, it looks like nothing will be done about it until the season is an absolute write-off, which makes no sense at all.

Frustration is running rampant and the support is practically at arms with one another as camps have become staunch and entrenched: it should be pretty clear to see why some say they are 'done'.
If a few bad games was all there was to what's going on, I doubt people would be up in arms. And despite the rhetoric, if Ole was capable, I doubt there'd be many who would want him out.

It's also not entitlement to want to see your side do the best its resources allow, where again, a £400m investment should not see a side languishing playing atrocious football. I'd actually like to ask you what you believe £400m of investment should warrant, and at which point expectation for that £400m reaches the point of entitlement - where do these lines blur, in your opinion? Should nothing be said whilst the manager benches £200m+ at a time because he doesn't know how to utilise the talent at his disposal?

Anyway, for all that said, I am one of the poor buggers who will be watching every [needless] humiliation through to the end and taking that anger/disappointment into the remainder of my day/weekend. It'll not have the same energy or connection some want it to have where we were underdogs and Fergie's era of dominance hadn't yet been undertaken, and it is a nonsense in this time, with this investment, and this squad, to liken what's happening now to those kind of tough times of the past. It's nothing alike: this is just gross incompetence at every single level on a scale I'd challenge anyone to find an equivalency to in United's history.
The Glazers have always been the issue. They were the issue when Fergie had to become frugal in the transfer market, something that cost us post SAF. Old Trafford and the training ground need upgrading, our revenues have flatlined and the club needs restructuring. The fans have protested against the Glazers but sadly to no avail. We're stuck with them until they sell up. This isn't new because the wheels have come off this season.