If we finish 4th, should Ole get the job full time? [Poll added]

If we finish in the top 4 should Ole be made permanent manager?

• Total voters

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I really don’t know man,it’s a tough one...There are 2 ways to look at it-1)The mans done a brilliant job....He’s completely committed to playing attacking football...He seems to be a good man manager,so just appoint a top class DOF to assist him in the transfer market and he”ll keep taking us forward...

2)The players are just delighted to see the back of Mourinho so they are just finally expressing themselves on the pitch.This momentum and this positivity may power us for the next 3-4 months...But once pre-season kicks in and come August,we need a top class manager who can take us to the next level and compete against the best in the league...

It’s a very very tough call to make...
This is what i am worried about. That what we are seeing now is just a reaction to being free of Mourinho and that after a while the players will just lose the motivation. Hope i am dearly wrong about it.

Rish Sawhney

We really shouldn't judge this until the end of the season, it's been 4 games only and we've played some pretty poor teams so far. It'll be much easier to see at the end of the season how good Ole has done.

However, the club have a clear plan (supposedly, although the 3 past plans didn't work that well), which is bringing in an new manager in the summer, and they have publicly stated that intent. For Ole to become permanent manager he needs to win either the CL (unlikely) or FA Cup (more likely). A top 4 finish could be as much down to Arsenal and Chelsea screwing up rather than us suddenly becoming contenders.

History has shown with Di Matteo at Chelsea that a good interim manager does not automatically equate to a good permanent manager. Ole's doing great so far, but he does not have any managerial Premier League or even Championship pedigree. Our long term plan should be to get a top manager who has pedigree, otherwise this cycle could continue.
But can Di Matteo be considered a good interim manger in the same mould as Ole would be if he achieved top 4? He was dreadful in the league, the type of football he played was dreadful. But he did manage to bus park his way to a CL title. Ole is not anything like that. In fact what Di Matteo did was closer to Jose's first season (which was proclaimed as progress) than Ole's current run.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amir

We're supposed to hire a DOF, so I hope he'll have a clear head to choose the manager and not be swayed by a few good months or maybe the need to satisfy supporters.

AJ10

For me the criteria should be: Play attacking football + Top 4 + decent FA cup or CL run. IF he is able to achieve these objectives then surely he would be in contention for the full time position.

AJ10

This is what i am worried about. That what we are seeing now is just a reaction to being free of Mourinho and that after a while the players will just lose the motivation. Hope i am dearly wrong about it.
What if they lose motivation when/if Zidane or Poch come in? Regardless of who is appointed for full time position isn't it the managers job to motivate his players?

el3mel

Hell he should get it even if he loses it closely.

I'mm full abroad Ole train. We can make him our Zidane instead of getting one from outside.

Just hire a Dof and put a proper structure around him and we'll be fine.

OldPop

We really shouldn't judge this until the end of the season, it's been 4 games only and we've played some pretty poor teams so far. It'll be much easier to see at the end of the season how good Ole has done.

However, the club have a clear plan (supposedly, although the 3 past plans didn't work that well), which is bringing in an new manager in the summer, and they have publicly stated that intent. For Ole to become permanent manager he needs to win either the CL (unlikely) or FA Cup (more likely). A top 4 finish could be as much down to Arsenal and Chelsea screwing up rather than us suddenly becoming contenders.

History has shown with Di Matteo at Chelsea that a good interim manager does not automatically equate to a good permanent manager. Ole's doing great so far, but he does not have any managerial Premier League or even Championship pedigree. Our long term plan should be to get a top manager who has pedigree, otherwise this cycle could continue.
Agree on it but the question asked in this thread was what we think of Ole as a permanent coach if we finish fourth or better.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think we're past the honeymoon period - grinding out that result against Newcastle put paid to that. I get your reservations, though, we all share them to be honest.

Can't see the players losing motivation at this stage given what's at stake; we're in a huge fight for top-four, the CL is a still possibility (albeit remote) and the FA Cup is well winnable. Plus the players will want to prove that the shambolic displays prior to Ole's arrival were down to Jose rather than themselves.

Web of Bissaka

Finishing in top 4 is one of the criterias.

Just 4 games so far, as promising and impressive as those are, there are other aspects of Ole that I want to see more..
  • how is he going to shift out the deadwood.
  • player recruitment/squad replacement.
  • long term player improvements, and thus his player management.
  • decisions in big games -- starting 11 and subs plus tactics.
  • decisions and behaviors in bad period eg. bad run of results/team in bad patches of form/players making problems/etc.
  • decisions against indiscipline and problematic behaviors.
  • maintenance of this playing style and players responses to it long term.
Haven't voted yet, can we change it later? some poll cannot.
but atm -- more towards yes, but seriously, just a result of top 4 finish is not enough.

BaseFishing

For me, 100% if we finish 4th. Something not too risky - like a 1 or 2 year contract.

For the board, I'm not too sure. I actually think it'll be more down to the players and the atmosphere in the dressing room than anything else. If it seems like they'll be delighted to play for Ole like they are now, then the board will probably go for it. If, on the other hand, it looked like they were only delighted to see the back of Mourinho (as Nikelesh said), then we'll probably go ahead with the Pochetino pursuit.

It'll be interesting either way. As long as we get top 4!!

Devil may care

I think we have already decided on the next manager, Ole has been very clear in every interview that he's here for 5 months, nothing will change that IMO. You have to remember we need some big additions and top players will likely be reluctant to put their careers in the hands of a manager who hasn't done anything, this will be his first 5 months of any kind of success, and the same could factor into players we need to re-sign like De Gea, Martial and Herrera.

The job hanging on top 4 would be like Chelsea giving Di Matteo the job and he won the CL, there are more things to factor in. I'm just going to enjoy this little run but not get carried away with romanticism.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
The decision should be made in April (at the latest)

By then, we’ll have a good idea if we’re playing European football next season and can plan accordingly.

Waiting until potentially the end of May to decide would be crazy.

If we’re 6th and out of the Champions League, you’d have to ask if Pocchetino etc would even come (especially if Spurs are doing well and have already won the League Cup)

Joseunited

Everything about him is all about "The United Way".Playing attacking football and bringing through the youth,it would be foolish to think of him as just an interim manager.If we get into the top 4 and along the way beat the likes of Liverpool, City and Spurs and PSG then he has to be the frontrunner for the job.

We've had such a poor run of managers, if Ole was to get the job it could be the beginning of a new Fergiesque era!You just don't know but he does seem the perfect fit for United.

BaseFishing

I think we have already decided on the next manager, Ole has been very clear in every interview that he's here for 5 months, nothing will change that IMO. You have to remember we need some big additions and top players will likely be reluctant to put their careers in the hands of a manager who hasn't done anything, this will be his first 5 months of any kind of success, and the same could factor into players we need to re-sign like De Gea, Martial and Herrera.

The job hanging on top 4 would be like Chelsea giving Di Matteo the job and he won the CL, there are more things to factor in. I'm just going to enjoy this little run but not get carried away with romanticism.
But what if it gets super-duper-candles-bubblebath-romantic? Hard not to get carried away then...

Kemizee

I want to see how he does against all the big sides first.

But maybe yes.

Poch is/seems to be most people’s favourite (including me) but that was before Ole won these 4 games in this manner I feel. I’m already questioning myself about what if Ole continues this way? Poch would bring his way of playing but what if it’s just not like this. As far as I’m concerned with Phelan by Ole’s side this is the Sir Alex/Man United way we always wanted and thought at least one of the previous 3 managers would embrace. It’s too early days for me to say anything until we play the top sides. We beat Spurs, Chelsea, City and/or Liverpool then yes why the hell not
Really? Because that is the ultimate way to asses a manager? Or because all those clubs you mentioned should just in a trembling way lie down at the thought of the Mighty Manchester United who won the treble last season.

Ole is doing alright picking these frail players up from the Mourinho damage and any fair result against those teams who in my opinion are well established mentally and otherwise than us lately is a bonus really.

Seven Seas Sardines

I think that if we are in the CL next year, Ole deserves a one-year extension. Could be with a nominal severance pay like 1m. With a good DoF in place before the summer, I'd feel a lot safer keeping Ole.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Absolutely, for me. He would have done enough to deserve a chance. It’s Ole Solskjaer, it would be a cnuty move to a club legend if he was overlooked for the job after displaying title winning form and the style of football the fans have been crying for for over half a decade.

Kemizee

No no no! Only one man for the job (Poch) Don't get me wrong Ole been fantastic and got some team spirit back in the side. It's nice to be scoring again and enjoy watching them. However, from a defensive point a few he has a lot to learn. Doesn't come over too well in interviews either. Doesn't give me confidants like other top managers.

I'd be happy with top 6 but top four would be a minor miracle if he did that. Let's enjoy the ride and and reaward him with a big £££ bonus and if possible keep him on as a No 2 if Poch happy to.
Yea he really does. He is not as defensively astute as the beloved Poch who surrendered a lead against Wolves only to lose 1-3 recently or like he was when he could not shut shop up against Juve in the Champs league(Both games at Wembley too!!!)

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I voted yes and I've been on the Pochetinno train since before Van Gaal was sacked.

reddevil702

Winning is raising the expectations and with it will come more pressure for Ole. How he handles that will be the true test if he can be the manager long term. It's much easier to win when there's no pressure but the closer we get to top 4 the more pressure Ole and the players will face in every game. I think most are still trying not to get carried away due to the teams we've faced but a win against Spurs and the lid will be blown off.

Cerberus

This is a really tough question. It'll depend on how he handles the big games.

Against the top six, can he field a side that plays to our strengths and our opponents' weaknesses? How will he handle tactical shifts throughout these matches where the opponent adopts a new strategy, or we go 1-0 down? Will he make the right substitutions in the critical moments? We'll be able to gauge this against PSG, as well. He should not be expected to get us past them, of course, but how we play against them will be a good measure. If we give them a good challenge and exploit the mistakes they make instead of just getting mauled and thrashed, then that's a positive sign.

As for man management, not sure we can tell how skilled he is in this without more time at the helm. For now, he seems to be getting our players to play at/near their best.

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I don't know where I stand on this yet, two weeks isn't a lot to draw a conclusion. I will not base my opinion on whether or not we'll make the Top 4, since we started with quite the handicap. The good thing is during his time here, he gets to prove himself against every team in the league + PSG in the CL. I'm sure come May, it'll be more clear then.

Keefy18

Finishing in top 4 is one of the criterias.

Just 4 games so far, as promising and impressive as those are, there are other aspects of Ole that I want to see more..
  • how is he going to shift out the deadwood.
  • player recruitment/squad replacement.
  • long term player improvements, and thus his player management.
  • decisions in big games -- starting 11 and subs plus tactics.
  • decisions and behaviors in bad period eg. bad run of results/team in bad patches of form/players making problems/etc.
  • decisions against indiscipline and problematic behaviors.
  • maintenance of this playing style and players responses to it long term.
Haven't voted yet, can we change it later? some poll cannot.
but atm -- more towards yes, but seriously, just a result of top 4 finish is not enough.
Great points! Completely agree with them all.

Folks on here are showing the standard knee jerk reactions Redcafe is known for.

We can't really decide til May, but even then it will be very difficult I'd imagine to decide as some of the above issues will still not be addressed.

Player recruitment could well be a big issue with him, will top players across Europe want to play for him? Not so sure.

A Liverpool supporter compared Ole's tenure to Daglish there (2nd time), supporters got swept up in romanticism about him being the manager and it was a mistake in the long run. Not saying that will definitely happen with Ole but I can see our supporters getting ahead of themselves already.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
People keep bringing up Zidane and Pep as examples of promoting from within.

And she should keep doing so!

RyRy11

If we finish the year with at least 70 points I think we should keep him on (that’s 10 wins and two draws from 15 games, minimum)

Minimalist

Are people forgetting Di Matteo still had Chelsea playing pretty tumescent football? Unless my memory is escaping me.

It was just his results that were good. I mean they are widely regarded as one of the jammiest CL winners of all time for a reason.

How that's comparable to what Ole is doing (even now in his 4 matches) is strange to me.

BaseFishing

Are people forgetting Di Matteo still had Chelsea playing pretty tumescent football? Unless my memory is escaping me.

It was just his results that were good. I mean they are widely regarded as one of the jammiest CL winners of all time for a reason.

How that's comparable to what Ole is doing (even now in his 4 matches) is strange to me.
+1

fps

I also agree that there may just be a response to Mourinho leaving, and worry with the attitudes of some players that they will then get the same ennui based on familiarity breeding contempt. That said, Ole's the first one since Ferguson left who seems to promote the message that players should enjoy themselves on the pitch, and actually take pleasure from playing the game. That's pretty easy to get behind.

-Supreme-

Pretty sure Fergie will have a big influence in the decision making, whatever it turns out I'm confident he will get it right this time.

Canagel

4th isn't the be all end all. I hope we get it but if we didn't it was a tall order anyway. Like if we closed the gap right down playing brilliant football against the big teams but lost out by the finest margins will you say he shouldn't get it? Style of football and the development of players is more important to me. The improvement in Rashford to give an example. Let's see if we can get world class performances from players like Sanchez. If Ole can get both Pogba and Sanchez firing in the same team then we're talking. It's too early right now.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
One thing nobody is taking into account:

If Pochettino/Zidane/etc comes in, a primary reason they'll have been attracted is the transfer budget offered to them.

In his desperation to get the job and lesser proven track record Ole is hardly likely to command anything like the budget that a higher profile, more in-demand manager would have.

Minimalist

If he beats Liverpool at Old Trafford and stops them winning the league, I'd give him a 5-year deal for that alone.

Gasolin

Can Ole attract big players? Can he improve players with his coaching? Does he get on with the DoF we choose and his chosen style? Is he prepared to upset the big egos when needed? Will they take it from him or sulk again?

What happens this season isn't that important. It's about the long term and not getting carried away.
Isn't he improving Rashford decision skills by calming him down and positioning him better in front of goals? Isn't he improving Pogba, Lingard and Martial in a more consistent manner? Lindelof?

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
I think Ole is getting a nice rub of the green and the new manager bounce, plus your squad was never as bad as the league position suggested.

So yeah, you guys should role the dice on him and give youth a chance, it’d be a bit like an academy graduate..:D

Dansk

It takes much more than four games to make any kind of rational decision about things like this. It's quite normal for a team to see a resurgence when a new manager arrives, in large part because the players suddenly have to earn their place in the starting XI again. It's not until three or four months have passed that you can realistically say anything about the actual management. If you divide Mourinho's tenure into episodes of a single month, there'll be several where he looked like the second coming of Jesus. Remember the start of last season when we won 4-0 several times? Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I love Ole, but he has no managerial pedigree to speak of and it has been four games against teams you would always expect United to beat. At least wait until we've played Chelsea, City or Liverpool.

TehRed

I think it all depends on exactly what place we finish the league in and the manner of how we got there. If we barely squeeze into fourth due to other teams shitting the bed, then it's probably not enough. If we get there by winning but the manner of the wins regressed to something more functional and less swashbuckling, would it be enough to convince that he was the right man for the longer term? I guess you have to remove sentiment towards Ole from the equation and focus on the results and the manner of how they are attained. I think if we finished in 3rd, that would likely be enough to land him the job permanently. If it's 4th then yeah, need to look at how we actually got there and how convincing it was.