I'm calling it: DDG is the best we've ever had

mattunited1978

doommonger
Whats the crack with people on here with there nostalgia ,lionization and romanticism nonsense, evaluating peoples thought process to explain why they have a differant opinion, its arrogant.

Why is it so hard to believe that some people think schmeichel was a better keeper based purley on his ability?? I think schmeichel was better than de gea currently is...Its not even that close for me and its based soley off his playing ability. He was the best keeper iv ever seen.

I can however, easily accept that other people rate de gea higher based on his ability,he's the best in the world at the moment imo. I dont feel the need to tell them that the reason they rate him higher is because of this,that or the other and not because of how good a keeper he is.

One poster, who rates dave higher, suggested lionization would lead us who like schmeichel better into having a bloated opinion of him...Then a few posts later said that in his opinion, dominence in modern football means more , so he gives more weight to modern players performance...So basically doing what he suggested fans of schmeichel were doing...Rating a player higher because of the era they play/played in.

Please stop telling people why they think what they think.

Last edited:

daveyjones

Pete and Ed were integral part of better defensive units. Not saying the defenders in front of them made them look better than they were, but they sure did benefit.

Dave is different in that he is so obviously a top-3 in the world.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Well, I think the age factor is a good point and we simply don't know for certain exactly how good De Gea can become. But, for me at least, De Gea will actually have to up his level to better than Schmeichel, it wouldn't be enough for me if he just kept playing at the level he is playing at now for the rest of his career. So, having nailed my colors firmly to the Schmeichel mast, it is a measure of how highly I rate De Gea when I say that I do believe he could just be good enough to do it.
Like i said earlier, I believe Schmeichel was better than De Gea currently is, for people to be comparing the two is a massive compliment to De Gea. It would be interesting to see the list of the greatest Goalkeepers of all time. Just off the top of my head, Yashin, Kahn, Buffon, Banks, Schmeichel, Zoff, Shilton, Zubizaretta, Maier. Could De Gea be seen in that bracket once he retires? Who knows, but he has all the ability in the world to become an all time great.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Pete and Ed were integral part of better defensive units. Not saying the defenders in front of them made them look better than they were, but they sure did benefit.

Dave is different in that he is so obviously a top-3 in the world.
A bit maybe but not always (I saw Bruce and Pallister make mistakes) and Schmeicel (United in the 90s) were playing the top teams in Europe most seasons and beating a lot of them (sometimes all of them :)) so Schmeicel was getting tested by the elite players in Europe on a constant basis and still looking great.

And as has been mentioned, he has his performances for Denmark in Euro 92 as a trump card - if the argument is United's defence helped Schmeicel, I don't think anyone would say Kent Neilsen, Lars Olsen and Torben Piechnik were elite defenders.... but Schmeicel was still amazing and goalie of the tournament and World goalie of the year.

Jaybomb

Schmeichel and VDS were better but De Gea will be up there if he wins a few more League Titles and a Champions League.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Hard to say. It looks a bargain now but wasn't it the second largest fee for a keeper ever? And the largest for a teenager? Anyway, what're his top 5?

Schmeichel - £500,000
Irwin - £600,000
Cantona - £1,000,000
Ronaldo - £12,000,000
Vidic - £7,000,000

I'm not sure it beats any of those, personally. SAF said Schmeichel was the bargain of the century and his best signing, I'd find it hard to disagree.
A list without Roy Keane's name present is a flawed list from the get-go. Other than that, van Nistelrooy and Ferdinand were better purchases than Vidic was. Rooney, too.

For my money, De Gea is up there with any of them.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
A list without Roy Keane's name present is a flawed list from the get-go. Other than that, van Nistelrooy and Ferdinand were better purchases than Vidic was. Rooney, too.

The best signings are the ones where the player was great and the cost was cheap. Keane was a British record at the time. RVN and Ferdinand cost £30 million ish before Vidic arrived. Vidic cost 4 times less and was just as good quality wise.

Buchan

The best signings are the ones where the players was great and the cost was cheap. Keane was a British record at the time. RVN and Ferdinand cost £30 million ish before Vidic arrived. Vidic cost 4 times less and was just as good quality wise.
Says who?

Lukaku was a huge amount of money this summer but already most agree that he was a fantastic signing for us as he satisfied a need we had. That's the exact category I'd put De Gea into, too: we desperately needed a quality 'keeper to fill van der Sar's boots instead of another post-Schmeichel debacle and De Gea has defied everyone's expectations and established himself as the preeminent goalkeeper in world football in little under six years. It truly is phenomenal what he's achieved and how much he has developed at United.

frank lee madeer..

Dave's great, but he ain't as great as the Dane.
Schmiechel won the euros with Denmark, saved last minute penalties,started attacks by bowling ( yes , fecking bowling )the ball out like a laser guided missile, scared the bejesus out of onrushing strikers with his star jumps . He was a leader.

Schleichel was the best in the world without doubt. Ddg is an incredible shot stopper, but he has a ways to go before he surpasses schmiechel.

dogwithabone

I still think Schmiechel commanded his area better than De Gea does. He'd come miles off his line and punch the ball miles too. De Gea's reactions seem marginally quicker than I remember Schmiechels being. Both pretty good in one on one situations but PS would just edge that one. DDG better with his feet, both in making saves and his kicking.

Buchan

It's funny how the many here championing Schmeichel seem to have erased his calamities from all existence. De Gea is (unfairly in my view) criticised for his reluctance to come racing off his line or adopt a high starting position within his box, yet most of the time Schmeichel left his box to snuff out danger, it resulted in a goal to the opposition. I recall many instances of Schmeichel howlers, some of which are included in this compilation below:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Vidic wouldn't lace one of Ferdinand's boots, never mind fill them. Ferdinand was a class above him, although together they were phenomenal.
Ferdinand cost 4 times more, and he is not 4 times as good. Not able to lace Ferdinands boots is an over statement. Rio was better but not by a lot.

You're talking about "signings", we're talking about "players".
Well it started by a guy discussing Fergie’s best signing, not the best player he bought. Best signing also factors in value for money and how good a player was in relation to the fee paid.

lex talionis

Apart from barking orders at his defenders, there's nothing Schmeichel could do that De Gea couldn't also do. And I think even the most pro-Schmeichel partisans have to give De Gea the edge as a shot stopper. But commanding the box is a massive part of the job so at this point it's still Schmeichel > De Gea, but keep in mind most of us are thinking about Schmeichel at his peak in his mid 30s whereas De Gea today is still only 26.

Rusholme Ruffian

It's funny how the many here championing Schmeichel seem to have erased his calamities from all existence. De Gea is (unfairly in my view) criticised for his reluctance to come racing off his line or adopt a high starting position within his box, yet most of the time Schmeichel left his box to snuff out danger, it resulted in a goal to the opposition. I recall many instances of Schmeichel howlers, some of which are included in this compilation below:

Ah, you've convinced me - he was actually shit :rolleyes:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
As others have said, Schmeichel and VdS were the better defensive commanders - however big Dave improved that part of his game drastically the last two or three years. For some reason I just want to see him make one truly epic save in a a CL or PL title winning game (or otherwise a title with Spain I guess..not another club tho!). That kind of moment where it is all down to Dave to be the biggest hero in the end of a run.

frank lee madeer..

I was laughing at your post cos it was funny you idiot! The bits about bowling the ball out like a lazer guided missile and scaring defenders with his star jumps! Christ.
I'll not resort to name calling , it's juvenile. I suggest you try using the quote option for the bits you find funny & maybe add a word or two alongside the green laughing effigy in future posts . It'll stop any further confusion.

Rusholme Ruffian

I'll not resort to name calling , it's juvenile. I suggest you try using the quote option for the bits you find funny & maybe add a word or two alongside the green laughing effigy in future posts . It'll stop any further confusion.
What the feck? I'm now in trouble for laughing at your funny post?! Wish I'd never bothered now! :lol:

mattunited1978

doommonger

Not funny atall really because it isnt happening. I havnt seen one post saying schmeichel didnt make any mistakes. What i have seen are posts,like yours, highlighting the mistakes he did make as if it proves that he isnt as good as people think he was, which is quite sad really, because even if you like de gea better, schmeichels a club legend and all time great. All keepers make mistakes,even the best ever, and even de gea.

I think schmeichel was better, but i wont be posting any vids highlighting daves howlers, because i still think he's brilliant and its not important to me to try and convince anyone to agree with me.

mattunited1978

doommonger
God sake, sensitive !! he found your post funny so he put a laughing face. He dosnt have to carfuly construct a reply just incase you get your kegs in a twist.

frank lee madeer..

God sake, sensitive !! he found your post funny so he put a laughing face. He dosnt have to carfuly construct a reply just incase you get your kegs in a twist.

You use 2 exclamation marks and tell me to keep my duds on ? Haha. Practice what you preach , it's no biggy , Stop making yourself busy where it doesn't concern you and move on fella. I have.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

Keane was a British record fee though, you'd be surprised if he wasn't a good signing. Rio was also a record signing, and Ruud wasn't cheap although I'd agree that he should be up there. I disagree they were better signings than Vidic though.

Claymore

Fergie tried to get VDS earlier in his book he said this, remember!!! If he had had VDS say to replace Schmeichel instead of Gouw, Bosnich, Howard, that Irish clown and Bartez, Taibi then he would have been our best I reckon. De Gea is well on the way but will want to go home at some point...

clumsy85

You use 2 exclamation marks and tell me to keep my duds on ? Haha. Practice what you preach , it's no biggy , Stop making yourself busy where it doesn't concern you and move on fella. I have.
Just admit you've been a twat and move on fella. Everyone else has.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Really? "Most of the time" it meant an opposition goal? "Schmeicel howlers"?

By all means support De Gea, but you don't have to use character assassination on Schmeicel to try and make your argument.

acnumber9

Apart from barking orders at his defenders, there's nothing Schmeichel could do that De Gea couldn't also do. And I think even the most pro-Schmeichel partisans have to give De Gea the edge as a shot stopper. But commanding the box is a massive part of the job so at this point it's still Schmeichel > De Gea, but keep in mind most of us are thinking about Schmeichel at his peak in his mid 30s whereas De Gea today is still only 26.
You're 18. What the hell would you know about Peter Schmeichel? He was an incredible shot stopper. De Gea is incredible but Schmeichel was something else.

Mr PG

Schmeichel and VDS were better but De Gea will be up there if he wins a few more League Titles and a Champions League.
No way vds was better than de gea. He was a sub goalie when we bought him and he cost us a few cl games with his inability to defend low balls
DE gea would never be a sub in any planet/generation

Jaybomb

No way vds was better than de gea. He was a sub goalie when we bought him and he cost us a few cl games with his inability to defend low balls
DE gea would never be a sub in any planet/generation
Van Der Sar is a United Legend. De Gea isn't there yet.

Every goalie lets goals in and costs games at times.