I'm calling it: DDG is the best we've ever had

Yagami

Good post resistant
This thread actually came to mind watching the game :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
De Gea hopefully has years more to perform for us, so could elevate himself to undisputed all time United keeper.

Hard for a lot of us 90s fans to ever consider displacing Schmeichel though

14 saves today!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Just 26 so don't remember Pete at his best, but I can't imagine how he could have been better than Dave.

Walters_19_MuFc

Can still be a bit suspect when contesting for aerial balls, but in terms of shot stopping, Id have to agree. Outstanding.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
For once i will admit he is nearing Pete’s level, if not possibly matching it if he stays for one or two more seasons AND wins us another league title. If he wins a Champions League with us then he’s done it. He won’t ever surpass him though, in my opinion.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Just 26 so don't remember Pete at his best, but I can't imagine how he could have been better than Dave.
He was good - really, really, good - but De Gea usurps him, for me. Schmeichel was quite erratic off his line/outside the box and make calamitous mistakes on many occasions. De Gea's ultra consistency for nigh-on five/six years now is unsurpassed, IMO.

Kapardin

You know he's fantastic when Liverpool fans can't deny it:

source
I like how most of the replies say we would be midtable shite without De Gea, when this is literally like the first game of the season where we were so dependent on him, and when Martial, Pogba and even Lingard produced a masterclass of a performance in addition to Dave. It is only that De Gea was above them all in terms of overall contribution, actually each deserved an MOTM.

Also a bit rich coming from fans of a team that actually would be a good 2-3 places down without Salah.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I like how most of the replies say we would be midtable shite without De Gea, when this is literally like the first game of the season where we were so dependent on him, and when Martial, Pogba and even Lingard produced a masterclass of a performance in addition to Dave. It is only that De Gea was above them all in terms of overall contribution, actually each deserved an MOTM.

Also a bit rich coming from fans of a team that actually would be a good 2-3 places down without Salah.
Yeah, they said we'd be midtable without De Gea and he's our only top player then literally a few pages later one of them says they can challenge for us now Pogba's suspended for the next three games.

ChaddyP

No matter who we have some people will never think anyone to be better than Peter. simply put ddg is the best GK we ever had in my opinion. hes simple phenominal

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
DDG, best between the sticks. Smikes was more authoritative in the area. VdS was great at positioning himself.

My personal opinion is DDG is overall the best we've ever had.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Marvel should seriously consider him for Spiderman. The man has explosive reflexes!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Schmeichel's biggest weakness was his over-zealousness - any great lobber of the ball had a chance to make him look silly as he came out to meet them. Both Poborsky and Suker did this to him.

De Gea's biggest weakness is still aerial issues when he doesn't come off his line to collect balls or contest them correctly when his getting roughed up/blocked off.

De Gea is the best shot-stopper we've had. I say that whilst still thinking Schmeichel is the better keeper for the other things he brought to the table. I actually think DDG's shot-stopping is approaching the level where you can literally put him up against any keeper in the history of the game and he's par: Buffon, Kahn, Schmeichel, Shilton, Yashin, Casillas and so on - De Gea's catalogue of saves is a match for any of them.

Schmeichel's total command of his area, his ability to organise a backline and his ability one-on-one when his entire defense were caught a mile up the pitch trying to attack and his sweeper-keeping plus his throws that set off countless counter attacks.... it's a lot of assets to contend with for anyone, which is why Schmeichel is seen as one of the best of all time.

De Gea's sheer consistency is just undeniable, however. He's the first keeper I've seen since Schmeichel who I think deserves a wage that puts him on par with the highest earners at the club.

Just as Schmeichel was not inferior to any outfield player, the same can be said of De Gea. He should be on Pogba money, and his wage should be such that it puts other clubs off even trying to tap him up.

Prodigal7

Think I'd maybe marginally go with DDG over Pete now. If DDG was more dominant in his area he'd be the best keeper ever (is that too bold?). Can't say I've seen any keepers before the Schmeichel era bar youtube highlights.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
De Gea might be the best shot stopper of all time. It’s bold, but he’s been doing it so consistently for such a long time now.

Best goalkeeper of all time, I’m not sure he’s displayed dominance or leadership skills to claim that one, not that he’s showed a complete lack of either.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
DDG, best between the sticks. Smikes was more authoritative in the area. VdS was great at positioning himself.

Can honestly say I can't recall a goalkeeper positioning himself better than de Gea so consistently. Maybe I'm missing someone but for me, he's the best I've ever seen at it. Half of these wonder saves aren't possible without great positioning in the first place, not to mention the number of routine saves that are due to him being in exactly the correct place.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Agree with all of that. The scary thing is the rate at which DDG continues to improve. His best years are ahead of him. Which kind of blows my mind.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
DDG IS FECKING GOD. I knew this already, but my goodness he is a phenomenal keeper. Love him, give him whatever the feck he wants :keano:

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Both Poborsky and Suker did this to him.
Think it might be Philip Albert you're thinking of, pretty sure Poborsky's lob was against another keeper. Your point still stands obviously.

Brophs

The One and Only

I think Schmeichel was of his time, as is DDG. They are/were products of the game they played in. I'm not sure they'd look quite as good in the other's era (albeit they'd still be great, obviously). VDS was slightly different in that I think he'd have stood out in either (and did, to an extent). Fwiw, I think DDG makes saves neither of the others could, but maybe also forces himself to make certain saves that the others wouldn't have had to by virtue of their respective strengths.

All that long-winded shit aside, I probably agree.

Home&Away

De gea is the best - though he might struggle to be as flexible as he is when he gets older; that is my only concern.

Either way I really hope for his sake we get some big trophies with him in between our sticks soon. He is the one who deserves it the most.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool

This shows how good he was!

But what's rarely reminded is what a leader he was, he organised our defence and was a true captain from the back.

patty123

I can see why a lot would choose DDG, but for me its a guy who was twice named best Goalkeeper in the world in a row after his club end a 26 yr wait, then last min help you're country win the Euros and lest we forget how we may never had won a treble but for his save in SF against arsenal and last be named UEFA Club Goalkeeper of the Year in a season like 97/98 when we won nothing

Reactions: Sultan

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
There’s just not much he can’t do. What’s he bad at?

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Never thought I'd say it, they are now equal IMHO. Fecking amazing. How blessed have we been with incredible keepers!? And some shocking ones too! I remember thinking nobody could match one of my childhood heros, Bailey :lol: