I'm calling it: DDG is the best we've ever had

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Do you guys remember when he was shit and was never gonna make it in the Premier League :lol:

He’s another level.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I am pretty sure Schmeichel made more mistakes... but he also dominated his area a bit better. It is close, which says a lot for De Gea.

Red_Aaron

Said it in the match thread but I genuinely don't think I've seen a better save.

I'm a pretty boring cynical old fart too who hates the modern obsession with hyperbole

The stop with his foot was as good as anything I've seen before.

Best in the world

red4ever 79

Need to see him performing in games and making saves that count in big matches before I can class him. Then again it's not his fault either he has been part of mediocre for the last few years

Bojan11

When was De Gea's last goal-causing gaffe? Sunderland in the League Cup semi-final under Moyes in 2013? That's absolutely mental consistency.
Stoke at home last season. He should have done better.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Give him 2 more years and he'll be in conversation for best GK ever. The reflexes and the consistency of these sort of performances make him the best PL GK ever IMO. Just look at some of his saves in the first 14 games- The Stoke save, the Matip save, Lukaku save, the double save - All worthy of winning save of the season award

Green_Red

Need to see him performing in games and making saves that count in big matches before I can class him. Then again it's not his fault either he has been part of mediocre for the last few years
Arsenal away in the league isn't a big enough game for you?

Redlyn

Do you guys remember when he was shit and was never gonna make it in the Premier League :lol:

He’s another level.
Shows you the virtue of patience. Especially on teenager who has potential and just needs more experience and maturity.
Hes been exceptional for us since those first 1-2 seasons.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Is this serious?

SATA

Hope he stays here till 35 and perhaps end up as a goalkeeping coach for United too!

He's going to win Spain the World Cup next year, but then they will hardly need a world class goalkeeper to win that thing with their embarrassing of riches up front

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
VdG was a very capable goalkeeper. He was very capable of holding down a place against almost all keepers. Unfortunately for him he was up against Smikes.
I agree, he'd been the #1 at Vitesse and I guess decided it was worth becoming Schmeichel's deputy for the chance to play at United. We actually picked him a number of times over Bosnich and Taibi (he actually won a league medal in 2000). Then Barthez came and sealed the slot.

I so hope DDG stays, he carries on the legacy of world class United goalkeepers left behind by Pete and VDS.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
My mate who never rated DDG who said things like he goes with his legs because his footwork is bad or he makes routine saves look hard or gets himself into trouble (WTF), was behind the goal for that Mata FK.

He said to me in the pub the next week that he couldn't comprehend how that shot didn't go in and changed his opinion.

ZupZup

I think he’s the best we have ever had. Schmeichel was amazing but De Gea’s consistency is like nothing I’ve ever seen in any other goalkeeper.

I can’t even remember the last time I thought ‘maybe he could have done a little bit better there’... let alone thinking ‘he should have saved that’.

He concedes the odd goal he has little chance with and saves so many that he has no right to.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
This often gets overlooked. Schemichel made tonnes of gaffes, particularly with his rash decisions at leaving his line.
Yes and very often overlooked because we still won the game in which he messed up. De Gea has been generally busier, but hardly ever seems to make a mistake, whether called into action regularly or rarely. He is top class.

Needham

If he wasn't allowed to use his hands we still wouldn't concede many.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
For me, he is the best GK in the World right now.
The question is he better than VDS and PS.
Both of those (older) GKs, had presence and organised their defences. He would tell them where to stand, what to do and the defenders knew who was in charge.
This is the only area where DDG is lacking. As he gets older and more confident, I think he will improve in this area.

But, of all 3 GKs, who would I have right now (in their prime).
I'd take PS. We need leadership in defence right now. Smalling is not a leader, so PS would fulfill this role nicely.
My thought as well.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
For me, the best save from yesterday was from Lukaku's bicycle kick, own goal attempt, simply because he would not have expected his own player to attempt to score against him.
The double save from Lacazette and Alexis was also impressive.

sajeev

As someone who used to watch Denmark play Justus watch Schmeichel, I would say Dave is his equal, better in most aspects of goalkeeping, but not as aggressive or fearsome or commanding and not as good a leader, but that might come with time

Tribec

I can't split either DDG or Schmeichel to be fair, they are on a par with each other. Where I feel De Gea's reflexes are better than Schmeichel's, on a one on one I'll never see better than Schmeichel. De Gea's distribution with his feet is way better, but then Schmeichel's throws were way better, so it's all swings and roundabouts. As both are different body types, they have made best use of that and the style of keeping is different to each other, but the end results are the same, both will earn us between 12 to 15 points a year with displays of keeping beyond that of mere mortals.

lsd

The Oracle
Nonsense to compare players from different eras it cannot be done and I can't understand the desire to even try to do so.

All you can do is compare players to those around now.

Maccataq

I think that he has been slightly better than Neuer for two last seasons - but, as someone rightly said, it's very hard for a goalkeeper to overcome the reputation - for De Gea to be considered the best goalkeeper in the world (as in better than Neuer), the latter has to do a high-profile mistake or De Gea has to play on a completely different level than Neuer (which is pretty much impossible as Neuer is also almost flawless).

If we don't count form than it's Neuer + De Gea on the same level (De Gea has better shot-stopping skills, Neuer has his awesome sweeping and organizing skills on a different level to Dave) and then Courtouis, Navas, Bravo etc on the next step
Bravo is a good keeper except the part where he has to save shots :lol:

Maccataq

When DDG retires, let's argue the point but we've been blessed with 3 of the best keepers to play the game and we're fortunate to have one right now who hasn't even reached an age that many determine a keeper's peak. I don't really think trophies should be the measure of how good a player someone is. I think the best keepers are worthy of about 10-12 points a season and I think DDG, PS & VDS could all claim to be that effective.

VDS was a rolls royce of a keeper and even a few years after he retired he was probably still in the top 10 keepers in the world.

DDG's instincts and shot stopping are unreal. I think his reactions are 2nd to none and I think he reads players very well to know where to move to stop the shot.

Schmeichel has always been the benchmark in my eyes - he was the keeper when a player was through on goal that you thought, he's still got to beat Schmeichel - I always thought he was going to make the save and invariably he did. I think he stopped shots by making himself big and scaring the crap out of defenders rather than the instinctive approach of DDG - both hugely effective though.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I was gutted at first when we signed him, I wanted Neuer really badly and I thought we'd messed up big time and that DDG was flaky with no experience just because he'd played in one Europa League final and everyone was banging on about how much experience he had. Then he had a bit of a shaky start and I was unsure, but shortly afterwards it was clear we made the right choice and he's been phenomenal for us since.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Not yet. He is competing with 2 keepers who were CL/PL double winners.

DDG has to deliver similar to be part of that debate.

Personally though I think De Gea is sensational, it will be very difficult to surpass Schmeical, who basically reinvented goal keeping as a position.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If DDG is the best that United have, does it mean he's better/ up there with Oliver Kahn already? Because that's where Schmeichel standing was/is.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think he's quite probably the best goalkeeper we've had in my lifetime.

Unfortunately for him he's also been part of the worst period for Manchester United in my lifetime too. Through absolutely no fault of his own his status suffers due to a relative lack of silverware as that's just the prism football fans judge players through. Hell, even ignoring silverware, he's been denied whole seasons of the sort of high profile CL football that would have burnished his reputation too.

Frankly he deserves far better than the dreck he's been surrounded by over the last few years. Hopefully that changes as he's never going to fully get the recognition he deserves until he starts racking up major trophies.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Personally though I think De Gea is sensational, it will be very difficult to surpass Schmeical, who basically reinvented goal keeping as a position.
No he doesn't. Trophy counts are irrelevant when discussing the talents of individual players, especially goalkeepers.

crossy1686

career ending
Thought about this last night. When United win a Champions League with De Gea in goal, we can consider him the best we've ever had. He'll have to pull off heroics at one point to ensure we win it.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

Not his fault that we're not competing for CL/PL is it? Look at the defenders Pete had in front of him during that period and then you see DDG who hasn't had one settled partnership in front of him in last 4 seasons, he's had to put up with likes of Paddy McNair, Tyler Blackett and Daley Blind as CBs! Even Smalling, Jones, Rojo can't measure up to the great defenders we've had over the years.

Also, he was MOM last time we played Real at Bernabeu. He's delivered whenever he's been called upon, dunno why winning PL/CL would be a barometer to judging him especially when we as a team need to improve a lot to get there.