I'm calling it: DDG is the best we've ever had

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
No he doesn't. Trophy counts are irrelevant when discussing the talents of individual players, especially goalkeepers.
Not his fault that we're not competing for CL/PL is it? Look at the defenders Pete had in front of him during that period and then you see DDG who hasn't had one settled partnership in front of him in last 4 seasons, he's had to put up with likes of Paddy McNair, Tyler Blackett and Daley Blind as CBs! Even Smalling, Jones, Rojo can't measure up to the great defenders we've had over the years.

Also, he was MOM last time we played Real at Bernabeu. He's delivered whenever he's been called upon, dunno why winning PL/CL would be a barometer to judging him especially when we as a team need to improve a lot to get there.
because being world class under such pressure is the equaliser.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
If DDG is the best that United have, does it mean he's better/ up there with Oliver Kahn already? Because that's where Schmeichel standing was/is.
Ability-wise - I think so. If we compare their careers, DDG lacks 2002-like performance for the international team (maybe he'll pull one like that this summer)

We need an rvn

When DDG retires, let's argue the point but we've been blessed with 3 of the best keepers to play the game and we're fortunate to have one right now who hasn't even reached an age that many determine a keeper's peak. I don't really think trophies should be the measure of how good a player someone is. I think the best keepers are worthy of about 10-12 points a season and I think DDG, PS & VDS could all claim to be that effective.

VDS was a rolls royce of a keeper and even a few years after he retired he was probably still in the top 10 keepers in the world.

DDG's instincts and shot stopping are unreal. I think his reactions are 2nd to none and I think he reads players very well to know where to move to stop the shot.

Schmeichel has always been the benchmark in my eyes - he was the keeper when a player was through on goal that you thought, he's still got to beat Schmeichel - I always thought he was going to make the save and invariably he did. I think he stopped shots by making himself big and scaring the crap out of defenders rather than the instinctive approach of DDG - both hugely effective though.
Can't argue with your post one iota. We have been very blessed indeed. Not sure how you'd pick out of those three.

Question though - we need a new keeper right now and all three are available at the great age of 27. Who would you pick if it meant theyd be our keeper for the next 8 years or so (ie committed to United and none of this Madrid crap every year)

Myself I'd go for De Gea as I think he's a combination of the other two but wouldn't argue with you if said VDS or the great dane

El Pasillo

David De Gea is a decent GK, but he needs to prove himself at the absolute highest level.

Of course, I'm speaking about UCL & World Cup and he hasn't done that yet.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Ability-wise - I think so. If we compare their careers, DDG lacks 2002-like performance for the international team (maybe he'll pull one like that this summer)
No one outside United would put DDG among those GOAT Gk. And I don't think one great WC is enough either.

Last edited:

AngliaRed

I started to think this the moment he saved matas freekick at stamford bridge a few seasons ago. I had a feeling he was going to become the best in the world.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Not his fault that we're not competing for CL/PL is it? Look at the defenders Pete had in front of him during that period and then you see DDG who hasn't had one settled partnership in front of him in last 4 seasons, he's had to put up with likes of Paddy McNair, Tyler Blackett and Daley Blind as CBs! Even Smalling, Jones, Rojo can't measure up to the great defenders we've had over the years.

Also, he was MOM last time we played Real at Bernabeu. He's delivered whenever he's been called upon, dunno why winning PL/CL would be a barometer to judging him especially when we as a team need to improve a lot to get there.
Well. No one has put a gun on his head to put up with those players and non-challenging team. Do you think Neuer would be heralded as one of the GOAT Gk if he stayed at Schalke? Ability wise, he's still the same player.

Last edited:

clarkydaz

David De Gea is a decent GK, but he needs to prove himself at the absolute highest level.

if he went to Madrid like he should have, he would have a couple of CL medals now

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
What more does he have to do?! Personally not only is he our best keeper i actually think hes one of the greatest ever.
His nose isn't red enough yet.

I understand it's perfectly legitimate to rate DDG as our best ever, I think it ultimately comes down to personal preference one way or the other. I'm just about still in Schmeichel's camp but I wouldn't be surprised if I've switched in a few years.

Oscie

I don't get where this idea comes that international football, in particular the World Cup, is the 'highest level' of football. Hasn't been the case for at least the last 25 years. Top-level club football eclipses international football including the WC, and it isn't even close.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I don't get where this idea comes that international football, in particular the World Cup, is the 'highest level' of football. Hasn't been the case for at least the last 25 years. Top-level club football eclipses international football including the WC, and it isn't even close.
I totally agree that the tactical and individual quality is usually higher in club football. But the pressure in a WC semi or final must be enormous, and probably (I can only guess) even higher than in an annually held competition like the CL.

There are no second legs in the KO games (which makes it only really comparable to the CL final). Then you have a 7 game run in a tight schedule, and after the group stage every slip can mean you're out. The prestige and global attention are still the highest here, the overblown media coverage, the nationalist pride involved, it all adds up. So to me excelling under these extreme circumstances remains a sign of the highest quality. (Plus, for a GK it's probably not easier to play in a slightly less organized team.)

Theonas

Scout
He is the best shot stopper we ever had and as good as anyone I have ever seen. But goalkeeping is more than that and he simply does not control his area with the same authority as Schmeichel or Van der Sar. I think he is more like Iker Casillas in that he prefers to stick to his line and stop shots. Obviously will go on to be one of the all time greats but not on the same level as the dominant forces that someone like Schmeichel or Kahn were.

Theonas

Scout
It's entirely nonsensical to judge a goalkeeper on his team's trophy haul.
It is. But it is also logical that the true test is the big games against the best teams. It's not his fault obviously but it also stands to reason that the more valid conclusions can only be made after the big tests.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It is. But it is also logical that the true test is the big games against the best teams. It's not his fault obviously but it also stands to reason that the more valid conclusions can only be made after the big tests.
He's faced plenty of big games and performed incredibly, including away to Real Madrid.

rique_don

Are you insane? What does that have to do with his quality as a GK? Spain stupidly d idnt start him when they should have. So, now that he's their starter if he goes and wins the World Cup with them and has no shots on his goal for all 7 games he'd somehow be a better keeper in your eyes because he won a World Cup that had little to do with him? Ok. And if he leaves next summer and wins a CL as a starter while being a peripheral figure for say Real Madrid he would be advanced somewhat in your esteem? You're devoid of logic.

Theonas

Scout
He's faced plenty of big games and performed incredibly, including away to Real Madrid.
Obviously it is relative. Compared to someone like Neuer, he clearly did not. I am not saying he should win a WC and a CL before we can consider him at that level but being a regular fixture in the latter rounds of the CL is a minimum in my opinion. It's just so difficult to judge players when they are not even involved in the biggest games and as of today, the CL is where it's at.

vangagal

In De Gea case, another PL trophies couple with some CL or domestic cup will make him the undispute no.1 above Schmeichel and VDS. He just need trophies to cement his place as no.1. He's been consistent in last 5 seasons, even without defensive pairing that reliable enough. Still 27, we can get another decade of him shall he stay. Today, he's the number one in the world as Neuer barely fit.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Obviously it is relative. Compared to someone like Neuer, he clearly did not. I am not saying he should win a WC and a CL before we can consider him at that level but being a regular fixture in the latter rounds of the CL is a minimum in my opinion. It's just so difficult to judge players when they are not even involved in the biggest games and as of today, the CL is where it's at.
That's why many of us wouldn't have blamed him for leaving. He should be playing those games but the rest of the team hasn't been up to the standard. Hopefully it's changing now.

Theonas

Scout
That's why many of us wouldn't have blamed him for leaving. He should be playing those games but the rest of the team hasn't been up to the standard. Hopefully it's changing now.
Whether it should have given him a justification to leave depends on how long it has been for us no competing and the ambition we have been showing I think. Coutinho for example is totally within his rights to leave because it is clear that Liverpool's finances and ambitions are not that of a team that will be a regular CL fixture. Sanchez with Arsenal is the same when you consider how long it has been for them to even compete for the league. In our case, he was involved in the CL up until 2014, missed out two years and during those two years, saw a club that broke transfer records and is paying the highest wages in the game. He cannot argue that we lacked ambition and were not trying to get to the top. Obviously if his reasons are more personal, that's another issue but professionally, I disagree that a couple of bad years warrants demanding a move.

vangagal

He should stay and playing those big stage games with us. He should serve those clutch moments in front of Stretford End and lift that big ear with us. This team going into right direction right now.

red4ever 79

This is true, however if you consider the top keepers over the past 30 years Schmeichel, Kahn, Buffon, Iker, Neuer, they all were playing for clubs that were not only competing for the top honours domestically but in Europe as well, and even on the international scene as well.

Do I think De Gea is the best GK in the world right now? Absolutely. Do I consider him to be one of the greatest of all time (which is what Schmeichel was) then no I dont not yet

Maccataq

Can't argue with your post one iota. We have been very blessed indeed. Not sure how you'd pick out of those three.

Question though - we need a new keeper right now and all three are available at the great age of 27. Who would you pick if it meant theyd be our keeper for the next 8 years or so (ie committed to United and none of this Madrid crap every year)

Myself I'd go for De Gea as I think he's a combination of the other two but wouldn't argue with you if said VDS or the great dane
I don't know if it is because he is top of mind right now but I'd go for DDG too but only just. It's probably fair to say he's a good balance of the other 2. I would say Schmeichel comes 3rd in terms of being good with his feet and I think the modern game demands it now. Schmeichel would probably bring some leadership at the back though - I used to love how he'd get so angry even if his defence allowed a shot on goal; even if he was at fault! :)

breakout67

Supports
Man City
David De Gea is the main reason why we haven't dropped into mid table mediocrity post-SAF.

He has saved our skin in the Moyes and LVG era so many times that I credit him with us finishing in 4th place in 2014/15.

We need an rvn

I don't know if it is because he is top of mind right now but I'd go for DDG too but only just. It's probably fair to say he's a good balance of the other 2. I would say Schmeichel comes 3rd in terms of being good with his feet and I think the modern game demands it now. Schmeichel would probably bring some leadership at the back though - I used to love how he'd get so angry even if his defence allowed a shot on goal; even if he was at fault! :)
hehe...add that to DDG's regime and our defence would have to wear nappies every game. I was at a game in 99 and I swear I shat my pants a little bit after what he said to Johnson at the time, can't remember the game or anything except putting my boxers in the bin and walking home without pants on.

Green_Red

Not these days. Anyway I am referring to Champions League Finals, FA Cup Finals, games that matter in the tail end of the season when competing for titles.
Any game away from home in the league against a top 6 rival counts when it comes to competing for trophies. Arsenal away is as big as any game. If youre waiting to see De Gea in a Champions League final before youll accept hes the best in the world you could be waiting a while.

He's been tremendous for a few years now of course, and this season seems to have taken his game to an even higher level. His performance on Saturday was super hero stuff; several saves which didn't look possible. Let's hope we keep him.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

How is the world cup a high level. There are like 4 good teams in it and most of em don't even play each other. The only world cup matches that count as high level are the semi's and the final imo.

DDG should be on the short list for the Ballon d'or this year. He has been absolutely amazing.

rampo

May be he needs to prove himself at world cup etc etc, but seriously, decent? decent?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I want nothing more than for us to win the champions league with him. Just can’t see it happening! Even if he stays a while.