I'm calling it: DDG is the best we've ever had

mattunited1978

doommonger
You use 2 exclamation marks and tell me to keep my duds on ? Haha. Practice what you preach , it's no biggy , Stop making yourself busy where it doesn't concern you and move on fella. I have.
When questioning peoples grammer is your best response, you mayswel not bother, weak at best. Agree with what Clumsy85 said, its probably not as literate or well worded as you would like. But i think its perfect.

Last edited:

Joseunited

Hard one to call this.De Gea has been amazing over the last 3 seasons playing in an underwhelming United side but for me the hallmark of great players is performing at the highest level when you have a really great side.Schmeichel and Van Der Sar would have nothing to do in the majority of games and then pull off great saves on the odd occasion when called upon.

Hopefully over the next 4/5 years we see if De Gea has that same sort of concentration level to be a spectator for most games and then pull off the rare save needed to keep the opposition out.

I know Stepney was a good keeper and I liked Gary Bailey but I would have to put De Gea behind Schmeichel and Van der Sar.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Hard one to call this.De Gea has been amazing over the last 3 seasons playing in an underwhelming United side but for me the hallmark of great players is performing at the highest level when you have a really great side.Schmeichel and Van Der Sar would have nothing to do in the majority of games and then pull off great saves on the odd occasion when called upon.

Hopefully over the next 4/5 years we see if De Gea has that same sort of concentration level to be a spectator for most games and then pull off the rare save needed to keep the opposition out.

I know Stepney was a good keeper and I liked Gary Bailey but I would have to put De Gea behind Schmeichel and Van der Sar.
De Gea has already shown this quality countless times - under Fergie, last year under Mourinho, and even under LvG at times. He's not someone that goes cold when he has nothing to do.

Mickson

Schmeichel did as many mistakes in one season than De Gea ever made.

Top keeper though, the Great Dane.

Crustanoid

Gary Bailey was the keeper when I first saw United. We've been blessed with the 'big three' in much of that time. De Gea is certainly best as far as I'm concerned because of the differences in quality of the defence in front of them.

SteveW

Schmeichel, like Scholes, is overrated by reds.
Schmeichel wasn't as good as Dave but he was considered the best in the world in his prime. Denmarks Euro 92 European Championship win was largely down to his heroics. Hardly overrated.

There's also a few no nothings called Xavi, Zabi Alonso and Zidane that called Scholes the best midfielder of his generation. So not just Reds rate him.

Andersons Dietician

It's a hard one. I think on a technical level Dave is better than Pete by some distance. Pete however commanded that box and the team even. I would like to see more leading and commanding of the box by DeGea. If he could just start bossing his CB's around He'd go up a whole other level. I suppose when he was first here he had leader in Rio and Vidic so he maybe didn't have to but hopefully it's something with more experience that will come to him as in GK terms he is still quite young.

I think he is the best GK in the world at the moment followed by Oblak. I've never really rated Neur that much can't say I watch him often but at schalke and even at Bayern when I have he's always had a major gaff in his game.

Full bodied red

Will be the world's best keeper for the next 10 years or so.

The best we've ever had ?? Might not be quite there yet ( Schmichel and EVdS certainly, and Alex Stepney was bloody good as well ) but if he stays with us for those next 10 years, then no doubt about it.

Bobski

Schmeichel did make a lot of mistakes. If you go back and watch some of the old season reviews it really stands out. He was close to a liability for much of the treble season, that mistake at Bayern in the 2-2 was a joke for instance. However he also, more than any keeper I can recall, made momentum changing saves at key times, match winning saves. He dominated the box, some of the mistakes can be attributed to how aggressive he was, wanted to win every ball he could, put that fear in the forwards minds that he was always coming. His game might translate better to the current games than De Gea would to the early 90's. Schmeichel would struggle with the ball at feet but probably not as much as De Gea would with the constant aerial assault.

The next few years can be the time for De Gea to prove himself the best, Utd improving will give him the platform to perform in those high pressure moments that really count, can not do that finishing 4th/5th/7th and out of the CL. His ability to routinely pull off incredible saves is ridiculous, doubt any keeper in history has a highlight package to match him.

VDS was quietly brilliant, and the perfect fit for that period. We had a great defensive unit, it needed a keeper with exceptional concentration, communication, one who could go long periods with little action but stay focused and continue to organize and cajole his teammates. Did not need a screaming Schmeichel on their backs, but someone who was calm and intelligent.

Can't make my mind up, all 3 were/are brilliant.

Revan

Assumptionman
Honestly speaking, Van der Sar shouldn't even be in this debate. He was a couple of levels below both De Gea and Schmeichel.

Schmeichel was more dominant than De Gea and was a leader, but I think that De Gea's shot stopping ability is the best I have ever seen, his distribution (with feet) is better and he isn't error prone as big Dane was. I think that De Gea is the best keeper who have played for us, but he will need to win some important trophies for this to be unanimous.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Schmeichel did make a lot of mistakes. If you go back and watch some of the old season reviews it really stands out. He was close to a liability for much of the treble season, that mistake at Bayern in the 2-2 was a joke for instance. However he also, more than any keeper I can recall, made momentum changing saves at key times, match winning saves. He dominated the box, some of the mistakes can be attributed to how aggressive he was, wanted to win every ball he could, put that fear in the forwards minds that he was always coming. His game might translate better to the current games than De Gea would to the early 90's. Schmeichel would struggle with the ball at feet but probably not as much as De Gea would with the constant aerial assault.

The next few years can be the time for De Gea to prove himself the best, Utd improving will give him the platform to perform in those high pressure moments that really count, can not do that finishing 4th/5th/7th and out of the CL. His ability to routinely pull off incredible saves is ridiculous, doubt any keeper in history has a highlight package to match him.

VDS was quietly brilliant, and the perfect fit for that period. We had a great defensive unit, it needed a keeper with exceptional concentration, communication, one who could go long periods with little action but stay focused and continue to organize and cajole his teammates. Did not need a screaming Schmeichel on their backs, but someone who was calm and intelligent.

Can't make my mind up, all 3 were/are brilliant.
Fecking hell. The way some people are going on this thread, Schmeicel will be lucky to beat Taibi in a goalie poll.

kundalini

Schmeichel > De Gea > VDS

In all my time watching United, 3 players stand out due to an ability to do the unexpected, after a while it became something they could do therefore not really unexpected, but no-one else even considered doing, then eventually after tons of practice, other players managed to copy some of these techniques. They are Ronaldo, Paul McGrath and Peter Schmeichel. To my mind, every other United player has played the game you see everywhere else, though typically to a higher standard than most. De Gea is a great keeper; he certainly makes fewer errors than Schmeichel but he hasn't changed the role, he simply makes saves you see other keepers make. He's good with his feet but again he belongs in the category with other keepers who are comfortable using their feet, rather than in a league of his own.

I should add that as time goes by, the margin by which I have Schmeichel ahead of De Gea narrows, to the extent that it is pretty close now. De Gea's consistency is astonishing, even though last year I was more impressed by Romero; De Gea being good rather than amazing.

Last edited:

meninred

DDG has to win trophies - premier leagues and champions league before comparing.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
When DDG starts putting the fear of god into the opposition, starts commanding his box and team, starts scoring goals, flicking the ball over the heads of onrushng players and volleying clear, and chucking opposition fans off the pitch by the scruff of their necks, then come back to me.

Plus big Pete pretty much invented the star jump save, which is now copied but never bettered.

Peter schmeichel, living legend. Best in my time

And only cost 650k

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
De Gea is narrowing the gap but Schmeichel is still the best keeper of all time for me. Best keeper in one on ones I've ever seen. His reflex saves are as good as De Gea. A header he saved against Rapid Vienna is still probably the best save I've ever seen.

Schmeichel had a presence and command of the area that De Gea has not quite matched yet, but it's awfully close. DDG needs to do it for a few more years yet. His kicking is miles better, but Schmeichel had that throw which was a true weapon. The amount of times he set Kanchelskis or Giggs free on the counter attack with a fecking throw beyond the half way line, was absurd.

He was way past his best in '99, and left at the right time for him.

This conversation will be very interesting if DDG is still here when he is 30. He has the possibility to usurp the Great Dane. There is absolutely no doubt that De Gea is the best keeper in the world right now, and has been for a while. Superior to Neuer, no doubt about that.

ti vu

People often forgot the context when assessing Big Pete. We and football as a whole is less safe, defensive than nowadays. The game required more super star 1 vs 1 GK and Big Dave stayed at the top until Kahn took the torch.

There were less protection. More space to exploit. A GK who can command the box despite all the gap between his teammates while at the same time played into the head of opposition strikers. Big Pete was a gambler. He might look more error prone compared to DDG but he won much much more from his gamble than he lost.

His game to transit into nowadays game needs to be tuned up, but the raw attribute is always there and he definitely can make it nowadays as top GK. DDG for all his ability lack those quality to make work if he goes the opposite direction. He would need to face more 1 vs 1 coming out sweeping. DDG would to dominate in the box, being able to command his player and keep getting into opposition striker. For all the reflex, good positioning, being as exposed as GK back in the day, getting the edge through mind game is important. Having less tool would just give you disadvantage.

On Big Pete being worse with the ball at his feet, we needed to remember that when he started his career, GK could collect backpass with their hands. So a sudden change in the rule, taking away the advantage of GK, it's tough to adapt. Big Pete at the end may not look he was that good, but had he grown up developing with this rule in mind, I believe he can be better. Him to be able to adapt to changes just added to how great his mentality is.

A question. Had DDG score any goal for us going for Fergie time corner. Big Pete did. It's not the GK thing but just to point out how gambling we were.

Last edited:

Oscie

Never thought I'd be so annoyed by the words 'Big Pete'

dogwithabone

VDS was a near faultless keeper, less of a showman than Schmiechel and not as eye catching as DDG but right up there in terms of reliability. He'd probably be in third place but not by much.

Thaumaste

I think it's also worth considering the fact that from the moment Schmeichel arrived to the moment he left, there was never a game where if he wasn't playing, it didn't weaken Utd greatly. It's not conceivable that he could have had a season like last year where his deputy looked equally able (and I probably rate Romero and VD Gouw pretty level).

I just think that totting up strengths and weaknesses doesn't work in this comparison, because Schmeichel was a goalkeeper whose presence transformed a team. DDG isn't; he's just a fantastic goalkeeper.

ti vu

VDS was a near faultless keeper, less of a showman than Schmiechel and not as eye catching as DDG but right up there in terms of reliability. He'd probably be in third place but not by much.
Agree to some extent that VDS is underrated. He makes GK look easy seem his coordination with his defenders were great, and seemed unrivaled. GK ability overall though, he is inferior to the others.

For me DDG and EVDS are level. Big Pete was a once in a generation type of keeper. The type that defined the role for their error.
Subtle...

Agreed.

Sid234

I started following United around Roy Carroll/Barthez/Howard era, and for me, VdS has been the best GK I've seen in goal for us.

Present DDG is probably close to being at the same level as VdS at his peak, and he will easily surpass that level soon.

I think we tend to forget the aerial prowess, leadership and the calmness he brought to the team because he had two of the best CB's of their generation playing ahead of him.

De Gea had to be the player of the season twice to help us finish at a half decent position in the league while Van der Sar never had that situation here.

We got to see De Gea pull off some of the best shot stopping I've ever seen from a GK but I think he still needs to improve on the mental side of his game.

He is probably the best United keeper in terms technical and shot stopping ability but he has a long way to go before he's near Van der Sar and Schmeichel in leadership, communication and aerial ability.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
The one thing that you can criticize De Gea for is that he hasn't proved himself outside of the Premier League at all.

He's done nothing in the Champions League and he choked in the only international tournament he's ever played in. He was solely to blame for Spain losing to Croatia at Euro 2016 and getting Italy in the R016.

If this is a stick that can be used to beat Hazard with, you can easily use it to beat DDG with too.

POF

Schmeichel was a phenomenal keeper and (although De Gea is incredible) is still the best keeper I've seen at United.

There is an argument that De Gea is disadvantaged because he played behind worse defences than Schmeichel. I completely disagree. One of Schmeichel's greatest strengths was one on ones. How good is De Gea in one on ones? Nobody knows because the defence rarely lets an opposition player through unopposed.

Apart from Stam (who only played 3 seasons) the United centre backs while Schmeichel played were good but not outstanding. Certainly nowhere near the Vidic and Ferdinand level.

Both are clearly superior goal keepers than Van der Sar. He was an experienced head who didn't make mistakes and saved what he should. That was ideal after a string of error prone keepers when playing behind one of the best defenses in the history of the league. He played 4 of his prime years at Fulham after a year on Juve's bench. How many world class keepers do that?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Schmeichel was a phenomenal keeper and (although De Gea is incredible) is still the best keeper I've seen at United.

There is an argument that De Gea is disadvantaged because he played behind worse defences than Schmeichel. I completely disagree. One of Schmeichel's greatest strengths was one on ones. How good is De Gea in one on ones? Nobody knows because the defence rarely lets an opposition player through unopposed.

Apart from Stam (who only played 3 seasons) the United centre backs while Schmeichel played were good but not outstanding. Certainly nowhere near the Vidic and Ferdinand level.

Both are clearly superior goal keepers than Van der Sar. He was an experienced head who didn't make mistakes and saved what he should. That was ideal after a string of error prone keepers when playing behind one of the best defenses in the history of the league. He played 4 of his prime years at Fulham after a year on Juve's bench. How many world class keepers do that?
It’s mostly down to the way he plays too. He likes to stay on his line because he has lightening reactions and it gives him a few milliseconds longer to react.

By staying on his line he also encourages the striker to shoot earlier, usually when they are still dealing with a defender. It’s very much by design that he doesn’t face lots of one on ones, not down to Jones and Bailly providing more cover than Ferdinand and Vidic, Stam and Johnson or Pallister and Bruce ever did.

POF

It’s mostly down to the way he plays too. He likes to stay on his line because he has lightening reactions and it gives him a few milliseconds longer to react.

By staying on his line he also encourages the striker to shoot earlier, usually when they are still dealing with a defender. It’s very much by design that he doesn’t face lots of one on ones, not down to Jones and Bailly providing more cover than Ferdinand and Vidic, Stam and Johnson or Pallister and Bruce ever did.
I agree. There is a big difference in style and De Gea does certainly have a preference for staying on his line while Schmeichel's strength was racing out to narrow the angle.

But it's also because United defended with a really high line in the Schmeichel years and often left the centre backs 2 vs 2 at the back. It is really rare for defences to be that open in modern football so there are generally less one on ones.

I don't think it's correct to say that Schmeichel had much more protection from his defence in his United career than De Gea.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He is a breathtaking goalkeeper. Much superior to Schmeichel in many facets of the art of goalkeeping, for me. (Schmeichel is superior in other elements, to be fair.)
Let's not get carried away dude, Schmikes was my hero growing up. Dave is better for me but there's never much between them.