I'm calling it: DDG is the best we've ever had

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
In goalkeeping ability, I think he clearly is. Possibly you could make an argument that VDS/Schmeichel were better at organising a defence but frankly they had better players to organise.

I wouldn't personally wish for either them to have been in our goal over David, tonight.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'd prefer to have a team where we barely notice the keeper, like when we had VDS really.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
He doesn't deserve to be playing with this bunch of shit. He's the only world class player we have bar Swinestiger.

I'd still have the upmost respect for him if he hands in a transfer request this summer

Leftback99

That has nothing to do with how good the keeper is.
I'm not denying he's brilliant, but hard to compare to say VDS who didn't have to repel a constant barrage of shots because of the garbage in front of him. We've seen Romero come in and pull off great saves (wasn't he MOTM here against Midjtylland) simply because our keepers have loads to do.

Smores

I'd agree with this. The lads unbelievable. We've been lucky to have three goalkeepers of such amazing quality really.

Ideally he's here for another couple of seasons and he wins a few more trophies with us before he leaves.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm not denying he's brilliant, but hard to compare to say VDS who didn't have to repel a constant barrage of shots because of the garbage in front of him. We've seen Romero come in and pull off great saves (wasn't he MOTM here against Midjtylland) simply because our keepers have loads to do.
You make it sound almost like anyone could look as good just from being called on more.

DDG does something almost every week that would make Schmeichel's highlight reel.

ZDwyr

I'm too young to fully remember Schmeichel. But DDG is better than VDS I think. I am going to miss him so much when he leaves :(

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Wasn't he in the pfa team of the year the last time we won the league? Safe to say he has improved since then, and it's also safe to say that was a good team.
Yeah he was brilliant when he was in our good side.. I just hope he stays that good when we return.

Whenever that will be.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
How many mistakes has he made this season? Apart from staying

Will Singh

Big Pete was better but not taking anything away from Dave at this moment he is one of the best keepers in the world and his still young in goal keeper terms and has a long way to go!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Creating a new religion: DeGeaity.
Holidays: Davidistmas: 7 Nov
Easter: 1Sep
Good Monday: 31Aug

On a side note: check DDG's Wiki page. Hilarious 1st para https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_de_Gea
:lol:

In case it's edited:

David de Gea Quintana (Spanish pronunciation: [daˈβið ðe ˈxea kinˈtana]; born 7 November 1990) is a Spanish professional footballer who plays as agoalkeeper for English club Manchester United and the Spain national team. Also known as 'the greatest goalkeeper of all time' good old Dave is a living legend. Nothing gets past him unless he wants it to. Other legends respect him also, with Pele stating 'That Daves got saves, top lad, best ever.' He currently plays for Manchester United the best team ever as their star keeper.

Traub

Yeah he was brilliant when he was in our good side.. I just hope he stays that good when we return.

Whenever that will be.
That assumes he is here long term given how long it'll take for us to get good again. I can't see him staying past this summer.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He's definitely up there, but would like him to save more penalties only weak part of his game imo.

Leftback99

You make it sound almost like anyone could look as good just from being called on more.

DDG does something almost every week that would make Schmeichel's highlight reel.
It's not what i meant. Suppose i'm just fed up of our keeper being the only thing worth shouting about in most games. A keeper who will almost certainly be going in the summer in my opinion.

Irrational.

If he stays with us (unlikely at this rate), he'd go into United folklore as the best ever.

I want to see him playing for a semi competent manager and winning everything. By jove he's deserved it.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
For me, he is the best GK in the World right now.
The question is he better than VDS and PS.
Both of those (older) GKs, had presence and organised their defences. He would tell them where to stand, what to do and the defenders knew who was in charge.
This is the only area where DDG is lacking. As he gets older and more confident, I think he will improve in this area.

But, of all 3 GKs, who would I have right now (in their prime).
I'd take PS. We need leadership in defence right now. Smalling is not a leader, so PS would fulfill this role nicely.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There weren't as many good keepers in Pete's time I'd say and it made him stand out. Think I'd pick DDG
Yes there were.

Today you have Neuer, DDG and Courtois perhaps.

Then you had Schmeichel, Kahn, Lehmann.

eggwithsideburns

He continues to astound me with some of the saves he pulls out, he is consistently class and definitely should be regarded as one of our best ever keepers.

diarm

The only thing that keeps him behind the great keepers for me, is that they demanded that the defenders in front of them be better players. They bullied teammates into consistent excellence.

He doesn't have that auora, but in terms of pure goalkeeping ability, he's the best I've ever seen.

Dans

I'm perfectly willing to accept it's close and open to debate, but any suggestion that DDG isn't close to big Pete is flat out bullshit.
DDG has had two good years with us. Schmeichel had 8, won the league after 24 years without a title, won the CL etc etc

No one is saying DDG isn't a great keeper (what gives you that impression anyway - you seem a bit oversensitive to anyone challenging your assertion frankly), but he's got a way to go to match Pete's achievements with us.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
DDG has had two good years with us. Schmeichel had 8, won the league after 24 years without a title, won the CL etc etc

No one is saying DDG isn't a great keeper (what gives you that impression anyway - you seem a bit oversensitive to anyone challenging your assertion frankly), but he's got a way to go to match Pete's achievements with us.
Oversensitive? Eh?

Trophies are irrelevant to this discussion. Unless you somehow think that we'd be winning more of them these last few years with Schmeichel in net?

Dans

Oversensitive? Eh?

Trophies are irrelevant to this discussion. Unless you somehow think that we'd be winning more of them these last few years with Schmeichel in net?
You called it. Shutters.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
He's certainly the best goalkeeper United have ever had in my lifetime anyway. It's a shame that Real Madrid's fax machine doesn't work sometimes.