I'm calling it: DDG is the best we've ever had

Oscie

An aside, but whenever I think of VdS I think of the CL final and that fan-shot video behind the goal during the penalty with the guy shouting "Come on Raimond!" in support. Massive fan, got tickets to the CL final in Moscow - thought our keeper was still van der Gouw. Tit.

Yakuza_devils

Peter Schmeichel is regarded as one of the greatest goalkeepers of all-time. He had a big hand in Denmark's Euro 92 shocked victory. He was a fierce competitor with very strong mental strength.

I love DDG and to me, he is the best goal keeper in the world now. However, he is still behind Schmeichel.

We are spoiled with great goal keepers Schmeichel, DDG and VDS.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
On the other side, I've seen City fans claim Ederson is on his level, if not better....
Benfica fans who have seen both Oblak and Ederson on a weekly basis say that Ederson is a tier above even Oblak.

Ederson is a monster. You will see soon enough. I'm not saying he's better than DDG though.

Akshay

Staff
You're overrating De Gea a tad bit much. Edwin was a beast who rarely ever made a mistake and was a wall in front of the goal. Sure, he didn't make as much flashy saves as De Gea has (which is probably why you overrate De Gea), but his positioning, awareness and defense control is miles ahead of De Gea's.
In no goalkeeping category was VDS 'miles ahead' of De Gea. You're giving Edwin all the credit when Rio and Vidic had just as much a role to play in controlling and organizing that defense. I loved VDS but he was never the best keeper in the world at any time with us, and our success was down to that whole unit while De Gea has had seasons where he's dragged our defense through games single handed.

Btw, there's nothing overrated about DDG's 'flashy' saves, either. He doesn't make routine saves look flashy like some keepers do, he makes genuinely difficult saves and often makes even those look routine. There's also no contest between him and Edwin in 1 on 1s.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Blasphemy

Not even considering the amount of trophies Pete has over Dave i would still say Dave doesn't have the same presence inbetween the sticks. Dave's shot stopping is up their with the best, but the majority of them Pete would have saved aswell, i am sure of that.
Trophies are irrelevant.

Sir Roi de Muppeterre

You're overrating De Gea a tad bit much. Edwin was a beast who rarely ever made a mistake and was a wall in front of the goal. Sure, he didn't make as much flashy saves as De Gea has (which is probably why you overrate De Gea), but his positioning, awareness and defense control is miles ahead of De Gea's.
Agree with Edwin not being flashy. Edwin had that quality where he'd be so well positioned most of the time that he didn't have to resort to insane flying save. He made goalkeeping look easy thereby never got same level of praises as some of his peers did.

I don't know who is better between Edwin and DDG though, their styles are so different that comparison is very difficult.

Now that I think about it, current CB suits Edwin more whereas Edwin's CB would have been better for DDG. Right now we don't have really have a defacto leader at the back, our CBs are rather inexperienced and somewhat weak in air. Edwin could have been more suited for current crop with his, as you said, defensive control, positioning, aerial presence .

DDG would have been better behind peak Vidic and Ferdinand, those guys were natural leaders and would be able to protect DDG in set-piece scenario, which is DDG's weakest area (mind you, he is still excellent, just that he is much better at shot stopping, then coming off line and dealing with set-piece deliveries).

Reactions: Akshay

GBBQ

If you put peak DDG in the 98/99 team or 07/08 team we still win those cups.

Put Schmeichel or VDS in the post SAF / Pre Mourinho teams I don't think they win our player of the season 3 years in a row.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
You see people say things like "De Gea could be better, it depends on how long he's here". But he's in his 7th season already, Schmeichel was here for 8. Plus unlike Schmeichel who joined right at his peak, De Gea was a teenager tasked with propping up the biggest club in the world. How much longer does he need to prove himself?

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
If you put peak DDG in the 98/99 team or 07/08 team we still win those cups.

Put Schmeichel or VDS in the post SAF / Pre Mourinho teams I don't think they win our player of the season 3 years in a row.
Big Pete wouldn't need to be player of the season, as he'd organise the defence much better and they'd have been stronger as a unit.

GBBQ

Big Pete wouldn't need to be player of the season, as he'd organise the defence much better and they'd have been stronger as a unit.
I don't think any keeper would make a defensive unit out of those players. Half of them were injured while the other half were suffering a post-SAF crisis of confidence. I don't recall any organisational issues when DDG had Vidic and Rio in front of him.

Treble

DDG has to win something big with us and will be up there with Schmeichel.

Acole9

Outstanding
Schmeichel still for me. De Gea has surpassed VDS now though.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
DDG has to win something big with us and will be up there with Schmeichel.
He's already won the league right?

De Gea's trophy cabinet isn't that impressive for a goalkeeper of his enormous talent. If he can win the Champions League with United, and/or win the World Cup with Spain, he will go down as a legend.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
In no goalkeeping category was VDS 'miles ahead' of De Gea. You're giving Edwin all the credit when Rio and Vidic had just as much a role to play in controlling and organizing that defense. I loved VDS but he was never the best keeper in the world at any time with us, and our success was down to that whole unit while De Gea has had seasons where he's dragged our defense through games single handed.

Btw, there's nothing overrated about DDG's 'flashy' saves, either. He doesn't make routine saves look flashy like some keepers do, he makes genuinely difficult saves and often makes even those look routine. There's also no contest between him and Edwin in 1 on 1s.
Whilst i agree DDG probably has better ability than VDS, but VDS did win us that shootout.

DDG is a beast, on ability he's at least on par with both VDS and Pete and it can be argued he's better however he just needs to win a few more trophies, hopefully that changes ion the near future.

Treble

He's already won the league right?

De Gea's trophy cabinet isn't that impressive for a goalkeeper of his enormous talent. If he can win the Champions League with United, and/or win the World Cup with Spain, he will go down as a legend.
Yeah, I mean the CL or the WC or the Euros. He has the qualities to be among the greatest.

Dumbat12

Aerial presence, positioning and defense organization are things VDS is 'miles ahead' of De Gea. VDS had to compete with Buffon, Cech and Casillas for the best goalkeeper, who does De Gea have to compete with? Neuer?

Also you're unfair to van der Sar for claiming he has not carried our defense. The guy was the deciding factor in multiple cup wins and even the CL. He also broke the clean sheet record. He also didn't need to carry any games because Ferdinand and Vidic are miles ahead of Jones and Smalling, isn't that right? It's like saying why hasn't De Gea won us more trophies? It's just stupid.

Also, I never claimed that De Gea makes 'flashy' saves just for the sake of it, I meant that van der Sar didn't make as many 'difficult' saves.

There's also no contest between him and Edwin in 1 on 1s.
Now that's just false. I don't know what you remember of van der Sar, but he made plenty of short distance saves and 1 on 1's. Difference is there wasn't that much a need of him to make such saves because Ferdinand and Vidic were always sturdy.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Schmeichel for me but I'd not begrudge nor is it out of this world for anyone putting De Gea down as the best.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Really difficult choice between him and Peter but I'd sway with DDG. It's not exactly fair though because we'd naturally place greater weight on recent memories.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Big Pete I think at his peak still edges it but DDG talent wise is also up there with some of the best of all time. He's special.

VDS was tactically superior to both and more all rounded but at their best, those two a class above I think.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Bit of a clanger at the end last night. But in truth he is brilliant. Long may he be red.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not even in the contest mate. His best asset is that he was the first quality keeper we had after, what was it, 5 or 6 years of crap. That's the context through which he's even in this conversation. Best keeper v keeper it's Schmeichel vs De Gea. No denying he was a terrific keeper but the other two were/are arguably the best in the world during their time with us.

Was Edwin ever really that?
You don't deserve to have an opinion on this subject if you think that

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's incredible. Still annoys me a bit that people in here bought into the media line of him being weak, because it was clear as day how good he was even then. He's cracked on and in a really professional manner. Continually improved. Exactly what we've needed and still need.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
When Edwin van der Sar is comfortably third you know you've had some fine keepers.

I think Schmeichel still probably shades it for me but DDG is a class act and has years ahead of him to cement himself as a GOAT candidate.

Akshay

Staff
Whilst i agree DDG probably has better ability than VDS, but VDS did win us that shootout.

DDG is a beast, on ability he's at least on par with both VDS and Pete and it can be argued he's better however he just needs to win a few more trophies, hopefully that changes ion the near future.
Not saying Edwin wasn't class btw, he definitely was. DDG imo is better though and hopefully he can win the accolades he deserves for it.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I think I still prefer Schmeichel and Van Der Sar over him at this point, VDS is so underrated in these type of debates for me, coming off his line, his calmness and concentration levels were unmatched and didn't let in the weak goals DDG is sometimes guilty of (like last night for example) or Schmeichel's bizarre howlers.

I understand both DDG and Schmeichel are both top, top tier shot stoppers that could make saves VDS couldn't so I get why people rate them higher, I just think posters sometimes forget theres other aspects of playing the position.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Pete was better at closing down angles and was a strikers nightmare when one-on-one. He had a better presence and command of the box. Dave is absolutely the best when it comes to shot stopping and his agility and reflexes are better. De Gea has been immense at a time when we've been struggling over the last few years. I'd say De Gea is the better goalkeeper.

A big shout out to Edwin. He seemed to be under the radar due to his absolutely amazing reading of the game and positioning. One aspect of goalkeeping as fans we seem to ignore.

rampo

I haven't seen much of the big Pete as I was a kid then and we didn't have PL coverage in India. I have seen many highlights and his authority and owning of that penalty are unparalleled. De Gea's reflexs are better and he makes amazing saves, easily comparable to Schmeichel

Edit: Also, the amount of saves De Gea makes with his legs is unbelievable. He makes himself so big when 1-on-1 with a striker

However, I still feel VDS is the best I have seen, his calmness and organization of defense were at a different level. The biggest compliment I can give VDS is that he never had to dive to make a save, his positioning was so good. But, of course, he had the support of Rio & Vidic, probably United's best defensive partnership ever

Reactions: Sultan

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Trophies are irrelevant.
Is it irrelevant for forwards as well? People certain don't seem to think so.

In terms of level of performance I've not seen a keeper as good as De Gea. Granted I barely watch Neuer, and didn't see Schmeichel. But he's still the most flawless keeper I've seen yet.

The issue with DDG is that he hasn't really done big things in big games because he's not actually played in that many. WC knockout matches, CL knockout matches, a big save in a title decider etc.

VDS was a great keeper but he wasn't as good as DDG in general. But he was class in some absolutely mentally big games. Heck he's responsible for only one of our three CL titles.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
What years then was VDS the best keeper in the world post 2005?
He wasn't but that's not what you said though is it so don't try (and try being the operative word) and be smart by backtracking now

You questioned whether VDS 'was ever really that' not whether he was ever the best in the world

Oscie

He wasn't but that's not what you said though is it so don't try (and try being the operative word) and be smart by backtracking now

You questioned whether VDS 'was ever really that' not whether he was ever the best in the world
That's precisely what I said. Try learning to read.

WTF would "was ever really that?" mean in isolation anyway? Boldening one sentence of a post and pretending the rest of it didn't exist and then pretending context to the part you decided to highlight isn't there, is shit

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's incredible. Still annoys me a bit that people in here bought into the media line of him being weak, because it was clear as day how good he was even then. He's cracked on and in a really professional manner. Continually improved. Exactly what we've needed and still need.
Pundits are now starting to say he's the best GK in the world tbf.

Oscie

Peter Schmeichel was definitely better IMO.
Instinctively I think so but aside from maybe one on ones I can't think of another area of his game where De Gea isn't as good or better.

It's definitely between those two though looking at actual technical ability, discounting things like "concentration", "composure" and "zen", or where VdS may well succeed.