I'm mad and upset.......

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
"Well I have some thoughts about today's game but I think it would be wrong of me to comment as I haven't got my UEFA badges"

"I have an opinion about how Martial played today, but I don't feel it's my place to share as I'm not a professional footballer and he is"

What do you people want from a discussion forum?
Having an opinion on how someone played or choices a manager makes is fine but actually stating what a manager should have done is totally different. I'd never claim to be a better footballer than Martial as I'm shit anyway but I can have an opinion on whether he is good enough for United. Same as the people who want Ole out, it's their opinion based on what they see. It's the should done this, should have done that, better game management, etc....

hobbers

Most irritating part of today is all the posters acting like babies over martials first game in however many months. Within ten mins all the toys went out the pram. Martial needs to play his way into form, our only other striker is 34
How many games should we set aside to play a man down with then until he plays his way out of this bottomless slump?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Go find out. I'll wait.
Plenty of posts about Moyes but mostly in locked threads. One wonderfully ironic one bemoaning “blind Moyes defenders”.

Point is this is a forum, if your stance is gonna be “nobody is qualified to question the manager” then we may as well shut it all down.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Feelings or facts?
Facts are that he stumbled when he was the overwhelming favourite in the Europa final.
Fact is he hasn't won anything of note as a coach , (and Norwegian kick about doesnt count).
Facts are there that the way he sets up his team has been flawed to even the naked eye.
I sound like Benitez talking about FACTS!
This is a ridiculous statement and sums it all up perfectly.

The United Irishman

Plenty of posts about Moyes but mostly in locked threads. One wonderfully ironic one bemoaning “blind Moyes defenders”.

Point is this is a forum, if your stance is gonna be “nobody is qualified to question the manager” then we may as well shut it all down.
Hold up, I already stated that it's fine to criticise, it's people who actually state they can do a better job than someone with actual coaching licenses. You should actually read people's posts and your comeback was poor.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Hold up, I already stated that it's fine to criticise, it's people who actually state they can do a better job than someone with actual coaching licenses. You should actually read people's posts and your comeback was poor.
Comeback? Are you five?

As for the bold, nobody said that, the post you quoted that started this exchange was this:

I agree. Let him fail before you bring the guns out.

However, he needs to improve his in game management.
Where is the claim he could do better?

What’s that you were saying about actually reading people’s posts?

Crashoutcassius

So we'll just forget all the abysmal games last season?
But regardless, it is his first game in so long. Did he start one friendly in that time. So how likely is it that he plays well.

You just don't rate him full stop even if it is hard or easy circumstances so no point us discussing nothing I suppose

Shark

@NotShark
I adore Ole but when you see countless posts stating that he needs to improve this or that it's kind of telling. A United manager shouldn't need be in a continuous state of learning. Especially in his third season in charge.

The United Irishman

Comeback? Are you five? What?? Response, whatever, you still went and trailed through 7 years of my posts to find a criticism of a manager which wasn't even my point

Where is the claim he could do better? Go back a few posts and read what I said to another poster, I'm not typing it out again. You also inserted quote marks between the line you shouldn't dare question the manager, which I never said, maybe go back through 8 years worth of my posts and check?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A United manager shouldn't need be in a continuous state of learning. Especially in his third season in charge.
Well they should be really shouldn't they? All the fecking time. :houllier:

I get that you want some winning of silverware in there but learning is required, as in any job were you are in pursuit of success/excellence.

E-mal

This is a ridiculous statement and sums it all up perfectly.
How so? We might as well go ahead and sign Kjetil Knutsen who is the current league champion manager, no?
I have no agenda against the guy but what is obvious is that he will obviously come short because he is out of his depth at the elite level.

Shark

@NotShark
Well they should be really shouldn't they? All the fecking time. :houllier:

I get that you want some winning of silverware in there but learning is required, as in any job were you are in pursuit of success/excellence.
They should but as I mentioned Ole is in his third year as United manager how and overall he's been managing for over a decade. There comes a time when he's got to actually deliver surely? You don't see Chelsea, City or Liverpool constantly talk about how their manager needs to learn this or that there's certain traits you just need to have to be a top manager or else any Tom, Dick or Harry could become one. While it's far too early to draw any major conclusions on how the season will pan out the same old issues were rearing their ugly heads yesterday.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Same crap new season.

Not a chance in hell we are in a title fight!

Ole is tactically inept as are his coaches.
He still cant figure out how to play against a low block...3.5 seasons and he still cant figure it out?
Either he's stupid or doesn't seem to know what tactics are.

Embarrassing

Robbie Boy

Imagine getting this mad and upset just from what other strangers on the internet post online... Dude, just close your laptop/phone, go have a beer, go for a run, put on a movie, do whatever makes you chill for feck sake...
Exactly - it's such dramatic, hyperbolic bullshit. Honestly, the small group of Ole obsessives on here give themselves hard work to do. Instead of giving criticism where it's warranted, they make ridiculous excuses and pick constant fights. We had a great win last week and Ole got rightly praised - today he fecked up and deserves criticism. Some of the criticism is OTT and best ignored, obviously.

I still fancy us to kick on and have a good season, despite an early blip. But I'm not shortsighted enough to think his critics are criticising him because of this one game - they are looking at his tenure holistically, and pretending otherwise is kind of sad. He has my backing but I totally understand the reservations. Getting wound up by his critics because you're Norwegian, or aren't ever willing to criticise him makes for a pretty unhealthy debate.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Same crap new season.

Not a chance in hell we are in a title fight!

Ole is tactically inept as are his coaches.
He still cant figure out how to play against a low block...3.5 seasons and he still cant figure it out?
Either he's stupid or doesn't seem to know what tactics are.

Embarrassing
Guy comes 3rd then 2nd in best league in world football and beats Pep in league regularly and yet doesn't know what tactics are????

We had a slower start last season and went top of league come January. Doesn't know tactics though eh?

Should we hire you then???

Hoof the ball

The OP makes a point about us having world class players, which is fine, but with world class players you need a trophy. There is no Europa League finalist trophy, or 2nd place trophy. There has to be something to show for it; and no, progression isn't that thing. Ole should be treated with the same level of expectation as any other United manager. That he's a United legend does afford him some intense defence from diehard fans who drop their standards to accommodate a legendary player, but, he's been here since late 2018. It'll be three years this December and 3 1/2 seasons come May. Ole has to win something this season. No other manager would be afforded such extended period of grace, in the modern game, than Ole.

Ole in or Ole out. Ole has to produce. If we've got world class players then we ought to be bringing home something to the cabinet, and if Ole can't do it, we've got to make the kind of hard choices that Chelsea are willing to do.

Ole'sattheWheel

So the love that Ole and the club got for a great window and a fantastic opening game of the season has now ended in doom and gloom and we're shite and we're all gonna get relegated and we're going to win nothing. Why? Because of a draw.

Here come the PE teacher comments....yawn....

....and the best one of the lot....somehow Ole THINKS he's the 2nd coming of Fergie......now ridiculous. Not even going to give it the time of day because it's that stupid of a post.

This forum will never be happy. It's always one way or the other. Hot or Cold. Why is everything so shite with Ole? Like why is it when we draw, it's simply just a draw. It's always the end of the world.

I'm fecking frustrated that every time this happens we always:
  • Want to flirt with another manager.
  • Want Ole to get the sack.
  • Call all of our players shite.
  • Give Ole a stupid "if he hasn't done x by x he should go" time frame.
  • Disregard everything that he's done good, because of 1 draw.

It's the 2nd game of the season for fecks sake!

Just tell me why. Just one reasonable reason. Why that when we don't pummel a "lower table" team 5-0 (like this forum expects week in week out) that Ole should get the sack.

We now have a World Class team and that STILL isn't good enough for you.

De Gea
Varane
Maguire
Shaw
Bruno
Pogba
Sancho

That's A LOT of the first team and you would undoubtedly see someone say oh (One of those players above) is absolute dross and should be sold.

I'm so frustrated at our fanbase. Be upset that we drew yes. But don't be so frustrated after every time we don't win you call for a sacking.
Stay away from social media man. This place used to be a pretty good safe haven for fellow United fans to discuss the club we love but like all social media it's turned into a disgusting hate-filled stream of vitriol.

Take a few weeks away and I promise you'll feel better, I impose breaks from it all and my life is 10x better now. That goes for the news, Facebook, Reddit, etc too. Everything on there just makes you feel like shit constantly.

A draw away at soton is not a good result but it's not the end of the world like you said.
Take a break man and you'll feel much better for it.
Peace brother

TheReligion

Abusive
Should have won today. Matic was never suit for the game which was always going to involve aggressive pressing by Southampton and no time on the ball in the middle of the pitch.

Mctominay being injured didn't help but what it highlighted is the dire need for something different in that 6 role. Fred can always be caught in possession and Matic is too slow. Was always going to be a recipe for disaster, or at the very least, having no control, in the middle.

We also missed Cavani and having a CF.

Basically the team today was the same from last season bar Cavani. We still had the same problems from last season.

It's annoying.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They should but as I mentioned Ole is in his third year as United manager how and overall he's been managing for over a decade. There comes a time when he's got to actually deliver surely? You don't see Chelsea, City or Liverpool constantly talk about how their manager needs to learn this or that there's certain traits you just need to have to be a top manager or else any Tom, Dick or Harry could become one. While it's far too early to draw any major conclusions on how the season will pan out the same old issues were rearing their ugly heads yesterday.
Look I think it's obvious that we're trying to build something here. They are trying to to see if Ole will grow into a manager similar to SAF. They are looking for longevity and domination. Will it be successful? Who knows but if it is... well, I'm still hopeful. If it doesn't work then I guess we just have to join the old managerial roundabout again.

Ole'sattheWheel

Should have won today. Matic was never suit for the game which was always going to involve aggressive pressing by Southampton and no time on the ball in the middle of the pitch.

Mctominay being injured didn't help but what it highlighted is the dire need for something different in that 6 role. Fred can always be caught in possession and Matic is too slow. Was always going to be a recipe for disaster, or at the very least, having no control, in the middle.

We also missed Cavani and having a CF.

Basically the team today was the same from last season bar Cavani. We still had the same problems from last season.

It's annoying.
I noticed we looked knackered from around 70th minute on which I think we can definitely put down to lack of preseason and no opportunity to rotate as you alluded to due to injuries/players not fully back.
I noticed the same thing happened in the Leeds game too, but we'd scored 5 goals by that point so it didn't matter in that game.
Either way I reckon we'll be fine. Many big teams will drop points at soton, they are a solid team and we just had a poor game. Worst things have happened

Redlyn

I thought you were frustrated by the performance. But its actually the fan base. Honestly if the team plays consistently like contenders and finally wins something the fanbase will be more forgiving. Till then we gotta roll with the punches.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Guy comes 3rd then 2nd in best league in world football and beats Pep in league regularly and yet doesn't know what tactics are????

We had a slower start last season and went top of league come January. Doesn't know tactics though eh?

Should we hire you then???
So we win the ‘we beat Pep’ trophy?

The guy cant beat a team who plays a low block and hasn't been able to in his entire time at the club!

Yeah we were top in January until Ole had a nose bleed and we fell away.

Don't tell me hes still learning on the job?

Hes clueless tactically. The only reason we play well against City is they come to play football and we exploit the spaces, against teams who sit in we struggle, why? Cos the give it to Bruno tactics dont seem to work!

r1z3mu

I like Ole because he is one of us (not an outsider). And he did great job correcting most negatives from previous managers. We have much better team. Environment is very good. Players seem to be happy. But, this is very very big but.... it looks like Ole hit his ceiling. I don't think he has that extra tactical talent (see Pep, Klopp etc..), that stroke of genius to take us one last step to the top. I'm not whining - just trying to analyze what is happening. I'm not sad because we lost two points. I'm sad because I have a feeling that to win PL or CL we need new manager and it means that Ole will be sacked (I dread it) - he is just too good of a person. Can't imagine another manager.

Womp

idiot
Thinking people are sick of it only because of the results is what's funny here. The reason people are sick of it is because despite being here 3 years, we're yet to win a trophy, still play extremely slow, laboured and predictable football, we still have terrible movement off the ball, our pressing is literally laughable and disjointed etc.

If we were inconsistent in our results but seeing football we could place our faith in - things would be different. As things are, our results are inconsistent as well as the actual performances not being close to the level required to win major trophies. We are still a pragmatic, counter attacking team. At this point you're just being delusional if you try to convince yourself otherwise. We looked great against Leeds, why? Because there was space to play in. Every team with top players will look great in acres of space. It's the football that's played in tight spaces, the movement to create space, the quick passing etc. that is the harder but more important things to coach - which he's showing he just isn't up to. Which I simply think is unacceptable given the size of the club and the investment that's been made into the squad. He still plays every game with 2 DM's against far inferior sides ffs.

People were using Klopp as an example to give Ole time. Go back and have a look at how ruthless Liverpool were playing at this point under Klopp. The fans were hopeful because of what he was doing. Apart from some hit and miss signings and a big smile, not sure what Ole is really offering right now to improve the collective level of the squad.

It's harsh but there's only so much an arm around the players can do when we are competing against squads just as talented, with coaches who are implementing systems to improve their collective squads

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
So we win the ‘we beat Pep’ trophy?

The guy cant beat a team who plays a low block and hasn't been able to in his entire time at the club!

Yeah we were top in January until Ole had a nose bleed and we fell away.

Don't tell me hes still learning on the job?

Hes clueless tactically. The only reason we play well against City is they come to play football and we exploit the spaces, against teams who sit in we struggle, why? Cos the give it to Bruno tactics dont seem to work!
Then given that most teams play that way against us why did we finish 3rd and 2nd? Doesn't add up mate.

We are get better every year. Squad is best it's been for years. Just wait until Varane and Sancho are fully up to speed before you start throwing your toys out of the pram.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Then given that most teams play that way against us why did we finish 3rd and 2nd? Doesn't add up mate.

We are get better every year. Squad is best it's been for years. Just wait until Varane and Sancho are fully up to speed before you start throwing your toys out of the pram.
I hope youre right. But seeing the same old problems doesnt fill me with hope.

sp_107

Phelen / Carrick / Mckeana doesnt come across a coaching staff at tittle winning teams, it is that simple.

We are very sentimental

The Firestarter

Thinking people are sick of it only because of the results is what's funny here. The reason people are sick of it is because despite being here 3 years, we're yet to win a trophy, still play extremely slow, laboured and predictable football, we still have terrible movement off the ball, our pressing is literally laughable and disjointed etc.

If we were inconsistent in our results but seeing football we could place our faith in - things would be different. As things are, our results are inconsistent as well as the actual performances not being close to the level required to win major trophies. We are still a pragmatic, counter attacking team. At this point you're just being delusional if you try to convince yourself otherwise. We looked great against Leeds, why? Because there was space to play in. Every team with top players will look great in acres of space. It's the football that's played in tight spaces, the movement to create space, the quick passing etc. that is the harder but more important things to coach - which he's showing he just isn't up to. Which I simply think is unacceptable given the size of the club and the investment that's been made into the squad. He still plays every game with 2 DM's against far inferior sides ffs.

People were using Klopp as an example to give Ole time. Go back and have a look at how ruthless Liverpool were playing at this point under Klopp. The fans were hopeful because of what he was doing. Apart from some hit and miss signings and a big smile, not sure what Ole is really offering right now to improve the collective level of the squad.

It's harsh but there's only so much an arm around the players can do when we are competing against squads just as talented, with coaches who are implementing systems to improve their collective squads
Very much this.

croadyman

I would love Ole to succeed here, for sentimental reasons as well.

The issue is, if Pep had our squad he would have won that game and probably would win the title. Ok let’s not use Pep as an example as he is unique, let’s use Tuchel. If Tuchel had our squad he probably would have won that bloody final vs Villarreal last season.

Can Ole win the Champions League with Chelsea’s squad last season or the title with City’s squad?

I am not so sure…

I rest my case.
Haha not a chance in hell he would to quote Vince McMahon

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think Southampton played badly. They pressed well and worked as a group to defend well whenever united had the possession. It will happen to all managers even for Klopp pep.

Letting him integrate the new players into squad. He couldn't change full team after that performance against Leeds.

Only disappoint from him today was he was late in substitutions today again. He needed to learn that aspect quickly with players in the bench who can change the game dynamics quickly he should be astute in his substitutions if things not worked.

He had the excuse of not having the strong bench before but now he should be ready to utilise the bench for all scenarios.His assistants need to analyse the game better and work out substitution and help him to cope with game dynamics to have the upper hand over opposition.

croadyman

We are building a good squad - albeit as we all know, the central midfield is yet to be addressed. But then I wonder how good we could be with this squad and a top class manager in charge of it. Like I could buy the best ingredients available but I'd rather Gordon Ramsey be making my meals than Ainsley Harriott
Yeah exactly but our sentimental misty eyed board will never give us chance to find out

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
How so? We might as well go ahead and sign Kjetil Knutsen who is the current league champion manager, no?
I have no agenda against the guy but what is obvious is that he will obviously come short because he is out of his depth at the elite level.
Yeah, it's obviously obvious, based on feelz you know.