In hindsight, Mourinho was right about a few things?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Ralf Rangnick was even more right about literally everything he said. It didn't help him to win games though. Knowing what's wrong and being able to fix it are two very different animals.

Dannn411

Not actually sure thats true about Rashford, remember his “why always Lukaku” interview and the theatrical head shaking to the crowd when Rashford missed a chance once?

He also signed Lindelof, Dalot and Fred and failed to get the best out of any of them.
No manager was worse for Rashford's development than Jose Mourinho. He set Rashford's development back at least 3-4 years with the constant negativity and anti-football he subjected Raahford to at such a crucial point in his career. He also is the manager who destroyed Martial's career. Before Jose, Tony was a lean attacking machine and was literally the man who carried us in 15/16 for long periods as a bloody teenager!!! Then Jose brings in old man Ibrahimovic, takes the kid's shirt number from him and zaps his playing time at a point where he needed to be playing regularly and kicking on after a brilliant first season. Then he loses all the speed and trickery and bravery that made him great in the first place. Luckily Rashford found a way to recover from all that negativity in his early career and keep rising. Martial wasn't so lucky. Terrible terrible manager.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Mourinho brought in Lindelof and Bailly, a couple of centre backs utterly unlike his usual inspired picks of centre backs. That will always be such a head scratcher.

Treatment of Shaw was dreadful too.
Arguably the most cowardly approach to some of the big games ever seen too.

Did win a couple of trophies though, and until Ten Hag starts doing that, hopefully in 2 days time (!), he remains our best manager post Fergie just for that.

HookedOnAPhelan

Why are people so fecking obsessed with Mourinho 'being right'?

Mourinho is a cnut. And a shite past it manager. Feck him.

RedDevil@84

No manager was worse for Rashford's development than Jose Mourinho. He set Rashford's development back at least 3-4 years with the constant negativity and anti-football he subjected Raahford to at such a crucial point in his career. He also is the manager who destroyed Martial's career. Before Jose, Tony was a lean attacking machine and was literally the man who carried us in 15/16 for long periods as a bloody teenager!!! Then Jose brings in old man Ibrahimovic, takes the kid's shirt number from him and zaps his playing time at a point where he needed to be playing regularly and kicking on after a brilliant first season. Then he loses all the speed and trickery and bravery that made him great in the first place. Luckily Rashford found a way to recover from all that negativity in his early career and keep rising. Martial wasn't so lucky. Terrible terrible manager.
Absolute bollocks. Martial being a crybaby who couldn't take some competition has nothing to do with Jose. Or for his pathetic fitness.

Rolaholic

Don't care much to flog a dead horse again. Both the club and Mourinho are exactly where they're supposed to be presently

Roboc7

Like Ole and LVG he was right about some things but all of them were fundamentally wrong in how they were attempting to move us forward.

The pragmatic, cautious and fairly basic approaches all 3 of them and Moyes adopted were just completely out dated and doomed to fail. You can’t compete with City by being passive, parking the bus and being happy not to lose.

That’s without even addressing the poor man’s management and terrible transfer business.

Chief123

There is no doubt he failed here. Signing Sanchez, Mikhitariyan, a fading Ibra (most will disagree on this, I get it) and was the guy who wanted to sign Maguire next.

But he did get a few things right on the money. Called out Pogba for who he was years ago as well as Martial. Also, he favored Rashford over any other player even during his poor runs and was adamant he wasn't a striker.
Mourinho got a lot wrong too. When you claim everything is wrong you will always be correct with some.

He said Shaw was mentally disadvantaged. He preferred players like Fellani who should never have played for us. His football was shite which was the biggest wrong.

AlPistacho

Trying to think what Ole or Van Gaal were right about (against popular consensus). Back then most of us considered Mourinho a fool for going against Pogba and Martial.
LVG was right about the club being business over football & not buying the type of players he needed.

Ole said Tuanzebe was future United captain material.

Traub

Oh he was also right about Shaw, player without a brain.
Twat

caid

Trying to think what Ole or Van Gaal were right about (against popular consensus). Back then most of us considered Mourinho a fool for going against Pogba and Martial.
Most manager wont publicly trash their players / squad / club. So its hard to know what they thought was shit against popular consensus

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Oh not this garbage again. Crap toxic manager who has a ridiculous cult like fan club and set us back years. ETH is showing what difference an actual quality manager makes, thankfully.
Well he has a fanbase because he's one of the greatest managers to have ever graced the sport. Hardly ridiculous. You talk like it's a nobody or a bang average clown. I'm sure Ferguson, Guardiola, Clough.....all have their admirers. What helps Jose is his charismatic personality on top of his CV. The guy is box office and magnetic to say the least.

ETH hasn't really achieved anything yet. I'm sure at this stage into Jose's stint, many people thought the same about him. Let the honeymoon phase pass.

jeff_goldblum

Of course Jose was right about a few things, notably the problems with the club's structure and decision-making, and his assessments of a few players. But he was also wrong about a few things, made an array of mistakes as a tactician and as a man-manager and when he got sacked it was thoroughly deserved.

In Mourinho's defence, the rebuilding job he was tasked with was possibly the most difficult since Fergie left as the squad Van Gaal left behind was an utter mess. I never really expected him to win the league given he was playing catch-up with City but for the money spent I'd have expected Top-4 in his first season and a much better showing in the Champions League in that second season. Looking at the players who came in, I honestly think you'd struggle to point to an area of the squad which was noticeably stronger in December 2018 than it had been in Summer of 2016.
We've had this thread before, here's what I thought last time.

Andersonson

Painfully underappreciated at least.

Probably a stretch saying he'd walk into our team now at 34, but the one we witnessed would easily walk into our team right now, on the basis of our non-Bruno/Rashford attackers being below that "painfully average".
No chance. He struggled at times at Arsenal at the time too. He couldnt cope in the Premier League. He was a bit like Kagawa, overrated.

He always had great work ethic though and could score a few goals now and then, but he was never a player who could get you from 6th to top 4

gza the genius

Most of the things he was right about were things he set himself up to be right about. Many have said the Rashford incident but that was just ridiculous. He put Rashford and Martial up top in a weak team and had them send long balls to them all game and when they obviously didn't perform acted like he was some sort of genius or vindicated because of it.

Bebe

I'll never forgive him for trying to kill Luke Shaw's career. Almost every United player declined under him. Obviously a great of the game, but that ended nearly a decade ago.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's right when he said 2nd place is a big achievement.
He's wrong when he said "The next manager will find... Lukaku, Matic" during his heritage rant, absolutely wrong.

caid

Well he has a fanbase because he's one of the greatest managers to have ever graced the sport. Hardly ridiculous. You talk like it's a nobody or a bang average clown. I'm sure Ferguson, Guardiola, Clough.....all have their admirers. What helps Jose is his charismatic personality on top of his CV. The guy is box office and magnetic to say the least.

ETH hasn't really achieved anything yet. I'm sure at this stage into Jose's stint, many people thought the same about him. Let the honeymoon phase pass.
He's really not. He has his moments but 90% of his interviews were dour and self sabotaging. The charismatic personality lasted about a month

Lemoor

While I hated his football and his throw the toys out of the pram attitude he didn’t rate Martial either Rashford, called Shaw lazy, overweight and then Pogba was a virus. All seem to be close to true now.
Also, he favored Rashford over any other player even during his poor runs and was adamant he wasn't a striker.
We've had this thread before, here's what I thought last time.
That thread is a goldmine. Only Jose can both rate and not rate a player at the same time and somehow be right in both cases.

El Jefe

Yes he was right about letting Blind walk only to sign Lindelof. Throwing his toys out the pram because he didn't get Maguire, Shaw not being up to it, Lukaku being a No.9 for a top team.

If we look at youth players, LVG promoted Rashford, Ole had Greenwood, ETH has Garnacho. It's so typical in a team that has historically had top academy prospects the jewel in the crown for Jose was Mctominay.

His fans love to talk about what he was right about but never talk about his blunders.

The person who absolutely was right was Sir Bobby, he said from the very beginning Mourinho wasn't a Manchester United. Jose's 'football heritage' rant couldn't have proved SBC any more right.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Imagine being given 400 million in budget and enormous wages to do your job and getting everything wrong

Malone_Post

I always find it weird how people point to Pogba as a way of defending Jose…when it was Jose himself that signed him. For a then world record fee too!

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I always find it weird how people point to Pogba as a way of defending Jose…when it was Jose himself that signed him. For a then world record fee too!
Jose's signings were horrific. Fred arguably the best of his signings, with Lindelof and Dalot behind. The rest of them were terrible. Pogba, the biggest waste of money and our worst ever signing imo.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Jose Mourinho was let down by the board the summer of the season he left. He then let himself down by throwing the towel in before the season started and ensuring a complete meltdown. We still had a decent enough squad, and he should have attacked the season, or quit on the spot.

Ultimately he never did fit in at United, nor committed for the long term. I'm answer the question, of course he was right about a lot of things, but no different to what we as fans saw. It was clear as day.

CM

Jose's signings were horrific. Fred arguably the best of his signings, with Lindelof and Dalot behind. The rest of them were terrible. Pogba, the biggest waste of money and our worst ever signing imo.
The signings got progressively worse with each window under Mourinho. Pogba definitely wasn't the worst. Maybe one of the bigger disappointments as the expectations were so high, but can you really say Pogba made less of a contribution for United than Lindelof or Dalot?

If you take transfer spend out of the equation, Alexis Sanchez was objectively the worst signing made during Mourinho's tenure.

Skills

Snitch
He's right when he said 2nd place is a big achievement.
He's wrong when he said "The next manager will find... Lukaku, Matic" during his heritage rant, absolutely wrong.
For DDG. It was the single biggest carry job a keeper has ever done over a league campaign.

NLunited

Feck off. I was hopeful when he was appointed. He was LvG‘s assistant and hoped he would build on what Van Gaal started instead of starting over. I imagined us playing like Chelsea in 2014/15.

Nope, he tore it all down and set us back for many years. He is an egocentric maniac.

Some of his signings were good but did not do much in terms of team building. The Europa League Cup was won by dire performances against mostly poor sides.

Maybe we needed ten bad years for it to be possible for Ten Hag to come in and assert total control.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
He's really not. He has his moments but 90% of his interviews were dour and self sabotaging. The charismatic personality lasted about a month
Well his interviews were massively entertaining for the non United fans that's for sure. :lol:

Mr.Hik

He is bully. It will work for a while and then people wild just get tired of it.
Thanks for trophies Mou, but get fecked.

Abraxas

Mourinho is a strong character with strong opinions. It's not that amazing or worthy of plaudits that he would be right in some of them. He is after all a decorated football manager, wouldn't it be weirder if he got nothing right?

The problem is he got more wrong than right and made a mess of things, alienating everyone at the club. So if the antidote to that is to say "yeah but he was right about Pogba" then okay, but it's not exactly convincing. I don't think it's a bullet point for the CV.

Rolaholic

Mourinho is a strong character with strong opinions. It's not that amazing or worthy of plaudits that he would be right in some of them. He is after all a decorated football manager, wouldn't it be weirder if he got nothing right?

The problem is he got more wrong than right and made a mess of things, alienating everyone at the club. So if the antidote to that is to say "yeah but he was right about Pogba" then okay, but it's not exactly convincing. I don't think it's a bullet point for the CV.
Thing with that last point always being used in his favor, how can he genuinely get credit for that when he's the very same manager who spent a then world record fee on that same player :lol:

Buying him then slating him is really something that deserves credit?? :houllier:

The revisionism when it comes to Mourinho always requires a fair bit of magical thinking

Last edited:

HookedOnAPhelan

Mourinho was fecking shit, just like all our other managers post SAF. And he was also a toxic, self-serving cnut. Feck him. Ten Hag is showing us what a proper top class manager looks like. Just enjoy it, and let Mourinho rot in obscurity.

Rusholme Ruffian

I'm no cult follower I can assure you that. During the mourinho days I limited my posting here because of how toxic I was against him. It's just realizing a few things that he was sorta right about at the time.

FYI I made a thread after our second place finish under him that he should be sacked and the thread got locked/ridiculed.
Anybody that ever points anything out that was positive about Mourinho immediately gets called out as being a cult member! It has always been the same. So weird.