In hindsight, Mourinho was right about a few things?

Idxomer

Oh the annual "Mourinho was right" thread, funny how we see it whether the team is doing well or badly.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
There is no doubt he failed here. Signing Sanchez, Mikhitariyan, a fading Ibra (most will disagree on this, I get it) and was the guy who wanted to sign Maguire next.

But he did get a few things right on the money. Called out Pogba for who he was years ago as well as Martial. Also, he favored Rashford over any other player even during his poor runs and was adamant he wasn't a striker.
Looking back, it would be better if he did not sign Pogba than «calling him out».

mu4c_20le

Oh the annual "Mourinho was right" thread, funny how we see it whether the team is doing well or badly.
:lol: it genuinely no longer matters.

Can't wait for ten hag to win something just so Mourinho is no longer the de facto "best manager post SAF"

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Looking back, it would be better if he did not sign Pogba than «calling him out».
Yeah exactly, not sure we can give any kudos to mourinho on anything Pogba related

I will always appreciate the two cups. But outside of that I don’t have any positive memories of his 2 and a bit years at all. i don’t think I’d ever felt so detached from Utd during his reign of bitterness and bullshit

mav_9me

Trying to think what Ole or Van Gaal were right about (against popular consensus). Back then most of us considered Mourinho a fool for going against Pogba and Martial.
LVG was right about giving Rashford a chance.

Ole was right about bringing in Bruno.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Pogba under Ten Hag would have likely been a beastly player. His biggest problem was not having the right coach in charge, and then injuries later on. Same with Martial. You can't say he was right on them when he was a major part of the reason they haven't lived up to the hype.

People are really getting the wrong idea from our recruitment the past 10 years to now. They were a mish mash of players, many who just weren't required, but mainly the issue was not having a coach that can get the most of them. No matter who is signed, if you don't have a good coach (or one suited to the player), you'll look like a mess and the signings will likely flop. That's all it is.

Withnail

There is no doubt he failed here. Signing Sanchez, Mikhitariyan, a fading Ibra (most will disagree on this, I get it) and was the guy who wanted to sign Maguire next.

But he did get a few things right on the money. Called out Pogba for who he was years ago as well as Martial. Also, he favored Rashford over any other player even during his poor runs and was adamant he wasn't a striker.
He made a show of Rashford in front of the world and dropped him and Martial for Sanchez. He was horrible about Shaw. He did absolutely nothing for the young lads confidence.

Also do we really have to do this thread again? He was washed up and a toxic presence and I'm glad he fecked off.

BarryWinks

I hate this thing our fans do where they try to justify former managers after they are long gone. I've seen people try to whitewash LVGs, Jose, Ole and Even Rangnick's time with us, it's very weird. I never see (granted I don't frequent their forums) fans of Chelsea, Arsenal, PSG or Bayern do that on other forums I visit.

What does it matter that he was right? He wasn't a good fit for us. Doesn't matter if he goes ahead to win everything there is to win in football, it didn't work here. Move on. Damn!

Cloud7

He did not favor Rashford. If I remember correctly there was some sort of quote where he basically bashed Rashford and Martial and defended Lukaku.

Also who cares? He failed completely and utterly and was a disaster here, all while being completely negative and depressing. He doesn’t deserve to have anyone look back and say he may have been right about something.

Withnail

He did not favor Rashford. If I remember correctly there was some sort of quote where he basically bashed Rashford and Martial and defended Lukaku.

Also who cares? He failed completely and utterly and was a disaster here, all while being completely negative and depressing. He doesn’t deserve to have anyone look back and say he may have been right about something.
Saying 'People ask why always Lukaku' to the press after giving Rashford a start when he didn't play well in a poor team performance iirc.

Way to build up the lads confidence Jose you twat.

Apokalips

Why do we still have fans claiming Mourinho was right about anything or giving praise to that fool. He was a horrible, toxic manager to experience life under both for us as fans and the players too. He would have probably had us lose Rashford and Shaw and replace them with poor older players. He was also not right about Martial and treated both him and Rashford (amongst many others) poorly.

Funny enough, I'd wager that Pogba is much more popular amongst those that have been colleagues of his than Mourinho is.

krazyrobus

Who isn't right about a few things, he was right about Dalot and Fred and wrong about a whole lot else.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Exactly, he forced Martial and Rashford into a competition for the same position even when they were both outperforming Lukaku. And the one time he doesn't use Lukaku, we happen to not win and he states that now we see why he picks Lukaku.

Cloud7

Saying 'People ask why always Lukaku' to the press after giving Rashford a start when he didn't play well in a poor team performance iirc.

Way to build up the lads confidence Jose you twat.
Exactly, he forced Martial and Rashford into a competition for the same position even when they were both outperforming Lukaku. And the one time he doesn't use Lukaku, we happen to not win and he states that now we see why he picks Lukaku.
Right that was the one. Of all the managers we had in the post SAF era none of them need to be as fecked off from our memory as the Mourinho era.

Lee565

He was always going to be right qbout some players considering he slated nearly everyone of them to cover his own back.

He was only right because the managers that replaced him in ole and ralf were even worse than him and players like martial and pogba were void of correct coaching and discipline, maybe had ten hag taken over mourinho side then maybe things would have been different, just look at rashford

Woodzy

I like Mourinho, and he was absolutely right, but he was also the worst possible person to try and fix it.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Mourinho is always right about a lot of things, so is wrong about a lot of thing. The guy attacks and defend everything. Just depends on what you plan on using for your argument.
He is back at his level of club, your Porto, Chelsea, Inter and Roma. Next stop Marseille and Schalke/Frankfurt/Werder/Newcastle/Everton/ Forest then retirement.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I wish we beat Betis so that we can draw Roma in the QFs of the Europa League. I'm sure some of the players he was "right about" will like to show him how they feel about him and his opinions.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Around the time most of us were giving José a chance, I asked a big time Chelsea fan about him. The praise rained down. That kind of influenced me. I defended JM in here quite a bit. He did amazing the year he won the league (stolen that year by Money Doped, state owned, Masterix City). Now though his work seems dated and regressive and too nakedly egotistical. Only so many buses can fit in the park. But he was right about the owners. You need suitable, decent owners, who put football and club identity ahead of corporate (or political) priorities.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Who the feck cares?
My sentiments entirely.
Jose is in the past and although United tried really hard not to learn from the past, we now seem to have hit on the manager.
The future is opening up as something we can look forward to instead of continually looking back.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Well yeah, if you openly moan and moan and moan about “your” club and players all the time, then eventually you will be right
about a few points.

Mourinho was all about “it’s my success but your failure”
ETH is about “we are all in it together and I am as much responsible for everything as the players/anyone else”

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Yes? No?

Dannn411

Could care less about what he was or wasn't right about. Terrible, negative manager.

sugar_kane

Not actually sure thats true about Rashford, remember his “why always Lukaku” interview and the theatrical head shaking to the crowd when Rashford missed a chance once?

He also signed Lindelof, Dalot and Fred and failed to get the best out of any of them.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Oh not this garbage again. Crap toxic manager who has a ridiculous **** like fan club and set us back years. ETH is showing what difference an actual quality manager makes, thankfully.
Even ETH can’t seem to make it work with Martial and if Pogba was actually still here on a fresh long new and expensive deal what a disaster that would be. Finally got another bit of luck there.

pogbasformerbarber

The most memorable thing about Mourinho...for me...was going to a December Fulham match and realizing after it started that I was actually hoping we would lose so that he would be fired. I'm sure I wasn't alone...thats how insanely low we were as a fan base.

So whatever he was "right" or "wrong" about is immaterial. He was a dreadful manager that was somehow able to simultaneously alienate fans and players at the same time; all the while having us play the grossest form of football I've ever seen.

Someone that is so utterly unable to manage important aspects of what a manager needs to shouldn't be looked to for any sort of meaningful insight. Whatever he might have been "right" about, is entirely based on sheer obviousness of the topic.