India politics thread

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I'm not overly disgusted because that's what the bjp do, it's Par the course for them. What disgusts me is the thousands of people on social media cheering this rhetoric on and aplauding the "balls" of the bjp for saying "what needs to said".
I'm glad this site is the closest I get to social media then.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Not following news that much. From little I've read, UP looks close, but slight advantage to BJP. And Punjab has shifted from Cong to AAP. Is that right or nonsense?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not following news that much. From little I've read, UP looks close, but slight advantage to BJP. And Punjab has shifted from Cong to AAP. Is that right or nonsense?
I'll be surprised if UP elections are close actually. I do expect BJP's seat count to go down, but dont see SP winning there

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Yes. Unless ground reporters and polls are wrong again, AAP should at least be the single largest party. There are murmurs that even SAD-Congress can join hands to make Govt if needed.

UP is tough to say. I can see all three outcomes: relative comfortable win for BJP, hung assembly with BJP as single largest party and SP narrowly being the single largest party.

Nickelodeon

Yes. Unless ground reporters and polls are wrong again, AAP should at least be the single largest party. There are murmurs that even SAD-Congress can join hands to make Govt if needed.

UP is tough to say. I can see all three outcomes: relative comfortable win for BJP, hung assembly with BJP as single largest party and SP narrowly being the single largest party.
This wouldn't be shocking. UP is going to be far more close than what the opinion polls have estimated and BJP is quite certain to be thrown out in Uttarakhand. These media guys just say what their masters want to hear.

crappycraperson

Scout
This wouldn't be shocking. UP is going to be far more close than what the opinion polls have estimated and BJP is quite certain to be thrown out in Uttarakhand. These media guys just say what their masters want to hear.
I don't pay attention to any TV channels. Even on the ground reporters for digital publication have said that most in Punjab want change and closest party to resemble that is AAP. For UP, I have followed this author's series: https://scroll.in/author/12843 which presents the tough bind SP finds itself in to manage its Yadav and Muslim votebank and how BJP's welfarism is possibly its only saving grace.

Suv666

I don't pay attention to any TV channels. Even on the ground reporters for digital publication have said that most in Punjab want change and closest party to resemble that is AAP. For UP, I have followed this author's series: https://scroll.in/author/12843 which presents the tough bind SP finds itself in to manage its Yadav and Muslim votebank and how BJP's welfarism is possibly its only saving grace.
Scroll is probably one of the best out there along with Caravan.

crappycraperson

Scout
Scroll is probably one of the best out there along with Caravan.
Newslaundry video series on elections from the ground is also very good. They have a lot of local journalists on their shows to give a different perspective than what you will find in TV channels. This interview on Dharam Sansad is also a must watch

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I'll be surprised if UP elections are close actually. I do expect BJP's seat count to go down, but dont see SP winning there
No one knows whats going to happen in UP and that includes the bjp and sp.

crappycraperson

Scout
Bleh.. any skirmish between China and India now would be one between two nuclear powers, the world would quickly switch over its attention to the same over any Russian shenanigans. It is more likely that China simply invades Taiwan if Russia sets the precedent with a full invasion of Ukraine.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Nawab Malik on Wednesday became the second minister from the Maharashtra Vikas Aghadi (MVA) government, after former state home minister Anil Deshmukh, to be arrested by the Enforcement Directorate (ED).

Around a dozen senior MVA leaders are presently being investigated by central agencies. MOHAMED THAVER and KHUSHBOO NARAYAN list out the charges the MVA leaders or their close family members face:
As blatant as anything IG was doing to state govts

https://indianexpress.com/article/cities/mumbai/ed-action-on-mva-leaders-their-kin-7788177/

RedDevil@84

.....Checks Hindi news channels..
.... Finds Modi already stopping Putin
... Sleeps in peace

Foxbatt

Modi has a meeting with Putin tonight? Wonder what he is going to tell Putin.
Edit: As expected, nothing.
I don't think India is going to sanction Russia. When the 7th fleet was trying to get involved in the Pakistan East Pakistan war it was the USSR who came to the help of India with their nuclear submarines.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Thanks. I hadn't seen anyone else cover the SP's votebank divisions like this.
The reporter I used to follow is behind a paywall now* :(

Very unlikely, but would be funny if BJP won while losing Ayodhya.

e - found her twitter, some bits of reporting among a lot of retweets

Last edited:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I don't think India is going to sanction Russia. When the 7th fleet was trying to get involved in the Pakistan East Pakistan war it was the USSR who came to the help of India with their nuclear submarines.
Why the feck would we sanction russia ? Most if not all of our high end military hardware comes because of russian collaboration. It would be a massive "national interest" blunder and would only deepen chinese and to a lesser extent pakistani ties with russia.

What russia did is morally wrong but morals have never had a say in geopolitics or national self interests of powerful countries. Hypothetically if tomorrow russia coups the mexican govt and the new govt asks the russians to stage nukes along the border with usa whilst indulging in anti-us rhetoric then you can bet your arse that the americans would march in long before the nukes were actually even shipped. Similarly no one bad an eyelid when israel violated the iranian airspace and bombed the iranian nuclear facility. All of these incidents are morally wrong but had a strategic reason behind it.

Im actually surprised by the extent of the outrage amongst the western countries, is it because ukraine is not on the other side of the world and not populated by brown/black people ? Sure there was some outrage but not to this extent.

No western country will give a flying feck if India got invaded and millions were killed. Anyways India should remain neutral.

Last edited:

LoneStar

Why the feck would we sanction russia ? Most if not all of our high end military hardware comes because of russian collaboration. It would be a massive "national interest" blunder and would only deepen chinese and to a lesser extent pakistani ties with russia.

What russia did is morally wrong but morals have never had a say in geopolitics or national self interests of powerful countries. Hypothetically if tomorrow russia coups the mexican govt and the new govt asks the russians to stage nukes along the border with usa whilst indulging in anti-us rhetoric then you can bet your arse that the americans would march in long before the nukes were actually even shipped. Similarly no one bad an eyelid when israel violated the iranian airspace and bombed the iranian nuclear facility. All of these incidents are morally wrong but had a strategic reason behind it.

Im actually surprised by the extent of the outrage amongst the western countries, is it because ukraine is not on the other side of the world and populated by brown/black people ? Sure there was some outrage but not to this extent.

No western country will give a flying feck if India got invaded and millions were killed. Anyways India should remain neutral.
India should absolutely remain neutral. Our neighbours are fecked up as it is, we don‘t need to trigger more escalation on all sides.

I don’t think Russia or the US can be trusted enough for us to get into sides here. The last thing India needs is full blown war and being a casualty in this West vs Russia debate.

Of course, we should always try to help in any diplomatic way possible to stop a war in the first place. But it wont matter or is too late anyways.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Im actually surprised by the extent of the outrage amongst the western countries, is it because ukraine is not on the other side of the world and not populated by brown/black people ? Sure there was some outrage but not to this extent.
Because of Putin

Not true

gorky_utd

Just saw a clip from NDTV where a girl student was sent back from Poland border. She said that every other nationality was allowed to leave but not Indians and they received horrible behaviour. Definitely something going from Ukraine side regarding UN vote.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Just saw a clip from NDTV where a girl student was sent back from Poland border. She said that every other nationality was allowed to leave but not Indians and they received horrible behaviour. Definitely something going from Ukraine side regarding UN vote.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Hope we show some ba**s and come down hard on the Ukranian ambassador. Manhandling our citizens should not be brushed off.
According to social media posts in India, ukraine soldiers have received orders to not allow Indians to cross the border.

gorky_utd

I think the issue has been raised in UN by India. Hope people stop going to study there in future.

NM

I think the issue has been raised in UN by India. Hope people stop going to study there in future.
I mean there's a good chance the country doesn't exist in the future so...

Actions have consequences (Both ours and theirs).

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

Same here. India has occupied Kashmir through bullying and military might. West won't care about that.

Foxbatt

The exact point I have made. There is a good article in Al Jazeera about the hypocrisy in the outrage. How mainstream media have said racist quotes. About blueyed Europeans getting killed. How they should open all borders for these refugees. Etc etc.
Look Russia should be condemned in every possible words but the hypocrisy of the same countries ( I make a difference between the public and them) is nauseating.
Where was the condemnation by FIFA, IOC etc when the USA and the UK bombed the Iraqis, Libyans to stone age? For what reason did they have to bomb and invade Iraq? For their oil.
Maybe all this may revive The Non Aligned Movement again and India can play the leading role again?

DM07

It's shameful if true that Ukrianians and other border countries are maltreating Indian students fleeing the conflict. I can understand how India's decision to abstain condemnation of Russia's action looks but this is not the way to retaliate.

But this evacuation as yet again proved how terrible this government is in literally every problem it's faced with. An absolute shit show when it comes to evacuation of students from Ukriane. Then sending Goyal and Scindia directly to the airport and inside the plane to spread propoganda about how grateful the students should be for the Government performing its duty, when it only has evacuated less than a 1000 student out of more than 15k.

Also has it always been like this, or is it something new. Whenever the Government does anything, it's always presented as a one man job under the able leadership of Prime Minister Modi. It's never the Indian government first. Always the prime minister is named first. Have these feckers forgotten that India is a parliamentary democracy not a presidential one?

Also I hope the Vishwaguru bullshit ends now. India has been rendered an irrelevant voice in world affairs under this government. Nor does this government has it in itself to revive the NAM and unite other countries behind itself.

MDFC Manager

Then sending Goyal and Scindia directly to the airport and inside the plane to spread propoganda about how grateful the students should be for the Government performing its duty, when it only has evacuated less than a 1000 student out of more than 15k.