India politics thread

Suv666

Well, looks like Yogi is coming back.
Even after the insane handling of covid still Yogi will win. Unbelievable.
BJP is invincible in UP.

MDFC Manager

BJP is invincible in UP.
It's on expected lines. If anything, the predicted numbers are just perfect for Dear Leader, with Yogi's popularity cut to size.

Suv666

It's on expected lines. If anything, the predicted numbers are just perfect for Dear Leader, with Yogi's popularity cut to size.
Yeah I knew BJP would win easy but a small part of me hoped SP would pull off a miracle. Another term of love jihad, land jihad and the other jihads Yogi will invent along the way

RedDevil@84

BJP is invincible in UP.
BJP won on back of Modi love last time. Will be same again. Nothing unexpected.

BJP not losing any other states is a bummer though.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
BJP doesn't care about any other state in this election other than UP anyway. Modi still being popular in UP unfortunately confirms that he will win in 2024 again. He has the cracked some kind of magical formula of social welfarism and bigotry. It is as if Trump had actually passed policies to benefit working class in US.

RedDevil@84

So Chidambaram says they are talking to AAP and Trinamool in Goa. Even if the alliance works for now, which is doubtful, it is going to break up sooner or later.

AshRK

So Chidambaram says they are talking to AAP and Trinamool in Goa. Even if the alliance works for now, which is doubtful, it is going to break up sooner or later.
Congress should shut down their party. It's a shame how Modi's BJP has been getting a free reign. At this rate Modi will rule for 5 more years. Thank you Congress and Rahul Gandhi.

RedDevil@84

At this rate Modi will rule for 5 more years
BJP will govern for another 10-20 easily. The opposition is almost non existent. BJP has infinite money and that means they control the narrative/propaganda. And in a religious/superstitious country like India, propaganda works way too easily.
And they can continue getting infinite funds, as long as they continue to appease their sponsors.

There is a small hope that after Modi gets old/tired, then the charisma will be lost and people will ask normal questions like where are the jobs? where is the development? etc etc., but I don't have high hopes on that.

Interval

Level
Y’all underestimate how much the Brent price will destroy us. Our hero can do nothing about it but to pass it on to the common man. It’s going to destroy whatever small MSME ecosystem that had survived the last 5 yrs.

crappycraperson

Scout
Y’all underestimate how much the Brent price will destroy us. Our hero can do nothing about it but to pass it on to the common man. It’s going to destroy whatever small MSME ecosystem that had survived the last 5 yrs.
Yes at this stage economy is the only thing that can topple Modi but problem with that is that he is tapping into old 60-70s style Govt dependent social welfare policies to firm up the rural vote bank with messaging that even in tough times, Govt is giving you the bare minimum for free. Urban class would definitely revolt in case of a serious downturn but not sure if that would be enough.

AshRK

BJP will govern for another 10-20 easily. The opposition is almost non existent. BJP has infinite money and that means they control the narrative/propaganda. And in a religious/superstitious country like India, propaganda works way too easily.
And they can continue getting infinite funds, as long as they continue to appease their sponsors.

There is a small hope that after Modi gets old/tired, then the charisma will be lost and people will ask normal questions like where are the jobs? where is the development? etc etc., but I don't have high hopes on that.
I feel there is something fundamentally wrong with Congress. Taking away the media propaganda and all other things, let us not forget Congress is also losing to AAP in state they dominated, Punjab (I know final result not yet here but going by the exit polls). I said back in 2019 that they needed to come with a new plan and more importantly NEW FACE. It's been now 3 years into Modi's second reign and nothing seems to have changed in Congress' approach. It's high time they do realise people are not going to accept and vote for Rahul led congress. We can all do the blame game that his image was tarnished by modi media, etc. etc but maybe sometimes it's not meant to be and for Rahul it's not meant to be.

RedDevil@84

I feel there is something fundamentally wrong with Congress
They seemed to have lost any kind of political will.

Modi abuses them blatantly in every election campiagn speech. BJP leaders simply mock (and I mean in meanest of words). But Congress does nothing. Do you hear any Congress leader call Modi a dithering idiot. Call out Amit Shah's son taking up BCCI jobs as blatant nepotism. Nothing is stopping them from doing that. Modi lies through his teeth. Even the troll pages are catching what BJP and Modi and mocking the hypocrisy. But Congress seems least interested in taking BJP down. They should be on roads protesting like crazy, making themselevs impossible to be ignored. But nothing. They give some press statements here and there. They try to speak in parliament which no public listens to. BJP blatantly teams up with speaker to shut down any shouting in the parliament.

They don't want to take on anyone. My mad theory is that someone has paid the Congress party to keep its criticism to mild. Or BJP has said all their leaders will be in jail, if they raise their voices beyond mild.

DM07

There goes 2024 as well. Congress for all its ideology is a terribly run party. Another 7 years atleast until we get rid of the Modi Government :(

Zlatattack

I feel there is something fundamentally wrong with Congress. Taking away the media propaganda and all other things, let us not forget Congress is also losing to AAP in state they dominated, Punjab (I know final result not yet here but going by the exit polls). I said back in 2019 that they needed to come with a new plan and more importantly NEW FACE. It's been now 3 years into Modi's second reign and nothing seems to have changed in Congress' approach. It's high time they do realise people are not going to accept and vote for Rahul led congress. We can all do the blame game that his image was tarnished by modi media, etc. etc but maybe sometimes it's not meant to be and for Rahul it's not meant to be.
I don't know much about Indian politics, but Rahul Gandhi is a problem. When he lost the last General election didn't his mum force the party to keep him?

Viral United

There goes 2024 as well. Congress for all its ideology is a terribly run party. Another 7 years atleast until we get rid of the Modi Government :(
I don't think Congress can get their shit together, your best bet is AAP party.
Beside Yogi and Amit Shah will be BJP's strong candidates after Modi.

AshRK

I don't know much about Indian politics, but Rahul Gandhi is a problem. When he lost the last General election didn't his mum force the party to keep him?
He is a huge problem and many within their party don't want to admit that or they are just not being let to admit that. Yes BJP is strong and has the media wave behind them but they can be defeated. Rahul Gandhi is the big reason why Modi govt will come for the third term. We can all blame on media tarnishing his image etc etc but then sometimes you have to put your hand up and say maybe this whole politics is not for me. Anyways as this election suggests they need to badly change their ideology and bring a new face who can connect to people. Rahul will never be that person.

crappycraperson

Scout
I know absolutely nothing about Indian/Pakistani politics, but from what I can tell Modi is pretty hard line, seeing as he revoked Kashmir's special status (or so I read). Is there much of a risk of that dispute going hot again?
I don't think there is any risk of it escalating a lot in near future but I don't see it getting resolved any time soon either. India's main focus is on quelling internal distress in Kashmir.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He is a huge problem and many within their party don't want to admit that or they are just not being let to admit that. Yes BJP is strong and has the media wave behind them but they can be defeated. Rahul Gandhi is the big reason why Modi govt will come for the third term. We can all blame on media tarnishing his image etc etc but then sometimes you have to put your hand up and say maybe this whole politics is not for me. Anyways as this election suggests they need to badly change their ideology and bring a new face who can connect to people. Rahul will never be that person.
The issue is that the Congress guys have accepted that RG will remain in power.

I remember reading somewhere, that while people can blame RG for everything, if he leaves, there will be power struggle in that party with every Tom, Dick and Harry wanting to be the president. And while, I think it is true for short term, over long term, they will actually become relevant again.

AshRK

The issue is that the Congress guys have accepted that RG will remain in power.

I remember reading somewhere, that while people can blame RG for everything, if he leaves, there will be power struggle in that party with every Tom, Dick and Harry wanting to be the president. And while, I think it is true for short term, over long term, they will actually become relevant again.
There may be a power struggle with RG gone but with him there is no way this party will be relevant again. It's like Woodward leading Manchester United with his footballing decision. Just that RG leading congress has been even worse.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
There may be a power struggle with RG gone but with him there is no way this party will be relevant again. It's like Woodward leading Manchester United with his footballing decision. Just that RG leading congress has been even worse.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
with every Tom, Dick and Harry wanting to be the president. And while, I think it is true for short term, over long term, they will actually become relevant again.
As bad as BJP has been surely no one would want another 300 years of the British Raj?

Joke

Giggsy13

To someone who has more expertise, I only watch as an NRI with curiosity, but what is the tonic to moving India away from Modi’s populist politics? He only cares about the Hindu vote. Congress are so weak and the Gandhi-Nehru legacy needs to immediately and rightfully get lost. I think it takes someone strong willed from Bengal or the South to take him out re: thru elections not assassination!

coolredwine

lameredboots
To someone who has more expertise, I only watch as an NRI with curiosity, but what is the tonic to moving India away from Modi’s populist politics? He only cares about the Hindu vote. Congress are so weak and the Gandhi-Nehru legacy needs to immediately and rightfully get lost. I think it takes someone strong willed from Bengal or the South to take him out re: thru elections not assassination!
AAP, but that will take another decade easily.