India politics thread

coolredwine

lameredboots
A Hindu godman with multiple cases winning in one place. A terror accused who labeled Gandhi's assassin as a nationalist and a patriot winning in another location. Party president has openly called for removal of people who follow religion other than Hinduism, Sikhism and Buddhism. A candidate who can't decide which degree she pursued. All have only 1 thing in common.

Make of that what you will.

Patrick08

A Hindu godman with multiple cases winning in one place. A terror accused who labeled Gandhi's assassin as a nationalist and a patriot winning in another location. Party president has openly called for removal of people who follow religion other than Hinduism, Sikhism and Buddhism. A candidate who can't decide which degree she pursued. All have only 1 thing in common.

A lie can't become truth no matter how loud and repetitive one shouts about it. People can not be fooled anymore. This is the mandate against the corrupt and dynasty politics selfish power hungry people, nothing to do with religious lines.

coolredwine

lameredboots
A lie can't become truth no matter how loud and repetitive one shouts about it. People can not be fooled anymore. This is the mandate against the corrupt and dynasty politics selfish power hungry people, nothing to do with religious lines.
A rape and a terror accused > dynast.

Also, while you are it, do explain how the likes of Gambhir and Surya are winning with 0 credentials while the likes of Marlena are losing who actually has a track record of her work.

Even Pakistan ended up rejecting Hafeez Saeed while we have India is on the verge of normalising Pragya Thakur and a rapist godman.

Well in, mate.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
:lol: Really? Way off reality.
Come off it mate. You like Modi or think he's a great leader fair enough. But the fact of the matter is all BJP had to do was put a photo of Modi bowing down in front of a cow on their manifestos and half of the country would vote for them.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
A rape and a terror accused > dynast.

Also, while you are it, do explain how the likes of Gambhir and Surya are winning with 0 credentials while the likes of Marlena are losing who actually has a track record of her work.

Even Pakistan ended up rejecting Hafeez Saeed while we have India is on the verge of normalising Pragya Thakur and a rapist godman.

Well in, mate.
You really can’t figure out how or why Gambhir is winning?

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Rahul Gandhi is losing fecking Amethi. If he didn't have the backdoor open to Wayanad deep in Shahsi Tharoor territory, he would not even be an MP at the end of this election.

This was the hope we had against Modi's juggernaut. A man who can't retain a stronghold which was in his dynasty for decades. We deserve 5 more years of RSS.

I feel alienated in my own country. I knew my views differed from a sizeable population, but I did not realise I was in a minority. Somehow the nation unanimously agrees that voting for the death of secularism is the right thing to do.

Maybe I just don't see what they are seeing.

King7Eric

Rahul Gandhi is losing fecking Amethi. If he didn't have the backdoor open to Wayanad deep in Shahsi Tharoor territory, he would not even be an MP at the end of this election.

This was the hope we had against Modi's juggernaut. A man who can't retain a stronghold which was in his dynasty for decades. We deserve 5 more years of RSS.

I feel alienated in my own country. I knew my views differed from a sizeable population, but I did not realise I was in a minority. Somehow the nation unanimously agrees that voting for the death of secularism is the right thing to do.

You're not alone or alienated but the fact is that the majority of the country is either politically illiterate or easily manipulated along religious lines. While in Europe, parties campaign along the lines of reducing carbon emissions, in India they campaign along the lines of building temples and spewing religious hatred. And the saddest part is a portion of the educated populace will try to argue this is not the case.

Kapardin

The alternative was a guy who claimed RSS was behind 26/11 absolving Pakistan. As for the terror accused claim, the matter is subjudice. There is an argument that the Lashkar were behind it but the UPA fudged it to blame Pragya and co for political gains:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.hind...a-blast/story-jEUy6DW8Bvn30Kh14MtKfJ_amp.html

Note that I'm not saying Pragya is innocent nor that Lashkar were involved, or that BJP were even justified to give Pragya a ticket even if they were convinced she would be acquitted. However, a fair assessment of the situation shows that even a cow would win against a corrupt candidate like Digvijay, let alone Pragya. For what it's worth, I do hope BJP rein in Pragya atleast until (if) the courts acquit her fully.

As for Godse comment, loud mouthedness does not equate to potential violent behavior.

Btw, are you talking about Smriti Irani with the degree remark? She is Parsi, not Hindu actually.

As for Atishi, no matter what her personal record is, people think Kejriwal is corrupt, and that extends to all of his party by default.

Come off it mate. You like Modi or think he's a great leader fair enough. But the fact of the matter is all BJP had to do was put a photo of Modi bowing down in front of a cow on their manifestos and half of the country would vote for them.
This is discrediting the intellectual capacity of half the country then, a sweeping generalization. I'm no "Chowkidar", and Modi has more than a few faults, but the alternative is UPA who if given one more tenure would have complicity surrendered national security to China and Pakistan while the likes of Sonia, Chidambaram, Digvijay and their DMK buddies like 2G Raja continued their robbing spree.

NDA may have a few bad eggs and maybe their naysayers are right in that economy may not have improved, but the people have undoubtedly made a safer choice. Come back when there is proper opposition, not a bunch of power hungry dynast traitors posing as opposition.

NK86

You're not alone or alienated but the fact is that the majority of the country is either politically illiterate or easily manipulated along religious lines. While in Europe, parties campaign along the lines of reducing carbon emissions, in India they campaign along the lines of building temples and spewing religious hatred. And the saddest part is a portion of the educated populace will try to argue this is not the case.
Yeah, the people who don't see what you see are naive/gullible or straight up politically illiterate. And this is the very same elitist view why most hate having any sort of reasonable discussion with the pseudo-intellects.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I said it earlier and I stand by it. People have a hate for Rahul Gandhi and the Gandhi dynasty. The fact that he's losing in Amethi reflects the kind of situation that he's in.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
Pragya Singh Thakur disrespected Karkare and Co, claimed to use cow urine to treat her own breast cancer, said Godse was a hero for killing Gandhi and is prime accused in a terror attack. And us Indians made her a Member of Parliament.

This country deserves whatever it gets.

Javed Akhtar puts it brilliantly.

NK86

I said it earlier and I stand by it. People have a hate for Rahul Gandhi and the Gandhi dynasty. The fact that he's losing in Amethi reflects the kind of situation that he's in.
It's not just that, who is the face of the opposition apart from him? Mamta, Lalu, Akhilesh, Mayawati, Kejriwal? I would rather have a "cow" run our country than those power hungry corrupt arses. Their sole agenda was to ensure Modi didn't come to power. They literally used that to try and get the masses to vote for them.

King7Eric

Yeah, the people who don't see what you see are naive/gullible or straight up politically illiterate. And this is the very same elitist view why most hate having any sort of reasonable discussion with the pseudo-intellects.
Don't have a discussion then. There's no point of having one anyway. People like me have well and truly lost so there's nothing to be done for the next 5 years in any case.

NK86

Don't have a discussion then. There's no point of having one anyway. People like me have well and truly lost so there's nothing to be done for the next 5 years in any case.
That's ok. Glad that "people like you" have lost so perhaps we won't have to your elitist bs for 5 years.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, I think that's the case.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Note that I'm not saying Pragya is innocent nor that Lashkar were involved, or that BJP were even justified to give Pragya a ticket even if they were convinced she would be acquitted. However, a fair assessment of the situation shows that even a cow would win against a corrupt candidate like Digvijay, let alone Pragya. For what it's worth, I do hope BJP rein in Pragya atleast until (if) the courts acquit her fully.

As for Godse comment, loud mouthedness does not equate to potential violent behavior.
Well, that's a very nice and a convenient argument. A cow can win against Digvijay, so let's have a terror accused win against him.

As for the Godse comment, I wonder if you will still come out to defend when they start celebrating an assassin.
As for Atishi, no matter what her personal record is, people think Kejriwal is corrupt, and that extends to all of his party by default.
Well, at least you admit that BJP has done a good job in setting up and spreading the propaganda.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

I don't have much time nowadays to get into long discussions on internet forums, but there is a good amount of hyperbole in your post. Particularly people who post here, have at least decent financial background, I don't get what has gone bad for them in 5 years.

Maybe it is just case of those who don't like BJP can't take it well seeing them winning and go into hyperbole. For practical purpose, life doesn't change much for middle/upper middle class. I was of an age to read and partially at least understand politics during 1996-98 period of khichdi sarkar and remember almost every day there being speculation on how long government will last. Still, life went on. Mind you, many of you were hoping for similar government again. Maybe you weren't old enough to remember how bad things were.

Reading back on this thread, I see lots of armchair experts thinking 300 is tough for NDA and some thinking NDA will even fall short of majority with good margin. This is what happens when you don't know ground reality and make sweeping statements after reading wire and scroll.

So many poor people have voted for Modi, the candidate doesn't matter to them, it is almost presidential election. They have moved beyond caste arithmetics even in states like UP (something BJP opposition was banking on). Chemistry has trumped arithmetics and no, for those poor, caste and religion is not that big a factor as much it is the hope that Modi is best placed to solve their issues. It is his 2nd time going to them, so definitely they are seeing something which is giving them hope.

Also, in a country where opposition is asking Muslims to vote en masse against BJP, those people should get fecked who have problem on Hindus consolidating votes somewhat for BJP. It is not just Hindus who have responsibility of secularism in this country while Muslims and Christians continue voting on communal lines. You reap what you sow and Congress and others have sown by continuously doing minority appeasement, emboldening the extremist groups from minority religions and there by alienating and irritating Hindus.

KM

It's not just that, who is the face of the opposition apart from him? Mamta, Lalu, Akhilesh, Mayawati, Kejriwal? I would rather have a "cow" run our country than those power hungry corrupt arses. Their sole agenda was to ensure Modi didn't come to power. They literally used that to try and get the masses to vote for them.
I feel it's very unfair to put in Kejriwal with others. All the others have been involved in some kind of corruption cases and something. There's been nothing against Kejriwal so far. He does very good work in Delhi.

The only thing is that he should have focused only on Delhi rather than expanding to Haryana Punjab too soon.

coolredwine

lameredboots
That's ok. Glad that "people like you" have lost so perhaps we won't have to your elitist bs for 5 years.
Not sure what you are arguing or defending here. If a mob decides to lynch someone, does that make it correct - just because "majority" of the people chose that direction? And "elitists, pseudo-intellects/seculars, khan market, award wapsi" gang should keep mum because "majority"...

Kapardin

Well, that's a very nice and a convenient argument. A cow can win against Digvijay, so let's have a terror accused win against him.

As for the Godse comment, I wonder if you will still come out to defend when they start celebrating an assassin.

Well, at least you admit that BJP has done a good job in setting up and spreading the propaganda.
This is boring. Have a good day mate.

KM

Reading back on this thread, I see lots of armchair experts thinking 300 is tough for NDA and some thinking NDA will even fall short of majority with good margin. This is what happens when you don't know ground reality and make sweeping statements after reading wire and scroll.
:lol:
I don't see your predictions in this thread. Fairly easy to look like a king in hindsight whilst saying feck all before.

Vanya

It's happening all around the world why should India be any different - we have also moved towards the personality cult /presidential politics.

I see Modi and Shah staying in power for another 10 years at the very minimum. The opposition is disorganized and weakened by it's loyality to the Gandhi family. It will be interesting to see whether a team of people or a single personality emerges to fight the right wing in the future.

In the interim I can see India becoming even more majoritarian. The supreme courts, intelligence, educational institutions - basically everything will be infiltrated and revamped to have BJP people running the show.

Dissent will be compared with anti nationalism or laughed off as leftist ideology

Intelligence and intellectualism, which is considered a left and center bastion, will be completely taken over by the right.

Small tiffs or skirmishes with Pakistan will become common place Everytime any big anti government information makes it's way into the media.

History will be distorted, data and information will be distorted and it would be nearly impossible to tell facts from fiction.

And no one will notice as long as the economy does well.

King7Eric

It's happening all around the world why should India be any different - we have also moved towards the personality cult /presidential politics.

I see Modi and Shah staying in power for another 10 years at the very minimum. The opposition is disorganized and weakened by it's loyality to the Gandhi family. It will be interesting to see whether a team of people or a single personality emerges to fight the right wing in the future.

In the interim I can see India becoming even more majoritarian. The supreme courts, intelligence, educational institutions - basically everything will be infiltrated and revamped to have BJP people running the show.

Dissent will be compared with anti nationalism or laughed off as leftist ideology

Intelligence and intellectualism, which is considered a left and center bastion, will be completely taken over by the right.

Small tiffs or skirmishes with Pakistan will become common place Everytime any big anti government information makes it's way into the media.

History will be distorted, data and information will be distorted and it would be nearly impossible to tell facts from fiction.

And no one will notice as long as the economy does well.
Pretty much this.

AshRK

I feel it's very unfair to put in Kejriwal with others. All the others have been involved in some kind of corruption cases and something. There's been nothing against Kejriwal so far. He does very good work in Delhi.

The only thing is that he should have focused only on Delhi rather than expanding to Haryana Punjab too soon.
Yes, kejriwal has done a good job in delhi and I hope he gets another term next year. Having said that he should not have associated himself with Congress. He is a good person but not a good politician. He was trying to fly too high too soon. The funniest part is Modi never took him seriously, rarely responds to his criticsm or anything. I voted for AAP 5 years ago and I know many people in Delhi who like him but are very much irritated by his childish statements and trying to associate with congress.

All in all this whole Mahagadbandan was always going to be a downfall and sadly Kejriwal also became part of that crap. He should have just stayed away and focused on Delhi.

The Man Himself

:lol:
I don't see your predictions in this thread. Fairly easy to look like a king in hindsight whilst saying feck all before.
I didn't even read this thread till much recently. Don't frequent CE forum much. There is no hindsight, I had 325-330 as the figure in mind even before exit polls. I kept doing best/worst/realistic scenarios but couldn't go below 275-280 for NDA in that case. Also nothing wrong in predictions going wrong, can happen to psephologists too, but when people pass on predictions with confidence while being unaware of ground level knowledge, it is amusing.

Btw not sure why you are getting hyped, I had crappy in mind. Today he has been telling that Rahul baba will surely win from Amethi. Turns out Smriti leads by 33k+ currently.
If one seriously paid attention, Amethi was one of the high profile opposition seat in serious risk. It is not even a surprise that RaGa may end up losing.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I don't have much time nowadays to get into long discussions on internet forums, but there is a good amount of hyperbole in your post. Particularly people who post here, have at least decent financial background, I don't get what has gone bad for them in 5 years.

Maybe it is just case of those who don't like BJP can't take it well seeing them winning and go into hyperbole. For practical purpose, life doesn't change much for middle/upper middle class. I was of an age to read and partially at least understand politics during 1996-98 period of khichdi sarkar and remember almost every day there being speculation on how long government will last. Still, life went on. Mind you, many of you were hoping for similar government again. Maybe you weren't old enough to remember how bad things were.

So many poor people have voted for Modi, the candidate doesn't matter to them, it is almost presidential election. They have moved beyond caste arithmetics even in states like UP (something BJP opposition was banking on). Chemistry has trumped arithmetics and no, for those poor, caste and religion is not that big a factor as much it is the hope that Modi is best placed to solve their issues. It is his 2nd time going to them, so definitely they are seeing something which is giving them hope.

Also, in a country where opposition is asking Muslims to vote en masse against BJP, those people should get fecked who have problem on Hindus consolidating votes somewhat for BJP. It is not just Hindus who have responsibility of secularism in this country while Muslims and Christians continue voting on communal lines. You reap what you sow and Congress and others have sown by continuously doing minority appeasement, emboldening the extremist groups from minority religions and there by alienating and irritating Hindus.
Good post. Also what it proves, no matter how much the opposition blinds itself to facts, that all the schemes have actually reached the beneficiaries. People have got toilets, they've got roads, they've got electricity connections. And these people aren't ingrates, they've voted Modi back in. There's this tendency of people sitting in ivory towers to convince themselves of any truth they want to believe with their views reflected around in convenient echo chambers.. Call them jumlas, deride them, but you can't wish assets created out of existence.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Must admit though, drowning under the shrill rhetoric I had also started doubting these schemes and whether they proved effective. I was really waiting for the election results to prove that the promises were kept or not.

The Man Himself

Wondering if RaGa wins both seats, which one he will vacate? :D Logic will say Waynand as Congress as they will easily win that back.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This isn't true anymore, nationalist/right wing politics has taken over Europe too.

King7Eric

This isn't true anymore, nationalist/right wing politics has taken over Europe too.
Well they had elections in Spain lately and there were many people around me who were voting for PACMA, they got over a million votes I think. Anyway, my point is at least people here are aware of these issues and political parties bring these up in their agendas, how many people in India would vote for a party which bought up such issues?
Edit- Right wing politics is on the rise for sure, but I don't see it taking over Europe tbh. Maybe in countries like Poland, but I don't see big hitters like Germany or France going that way anytime soon.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Hungary, Italy, Austria just to name a few. Brexit is also a byproduct of nationalist sentiment. It's no secret right wing politics are on the rise.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Well they had elections in Spain lately and there were many people around me who were voting for PACMA, they got over a million votes I think. Anyway, my point is at least people here are aware of these issues and political parties bring these up in their agendas, how many people in India would vote for a party which bought up such issues?
Most people don't vote because of the environment, if they did the green parties would be in power.

What I'm trying to say is right wing politics is the trend at the moment, doesn't matter if you're in India or even the US where they elected Donald fecking Trump.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Edit- Right wing politics is on the rise for sure, but I don't see it taking over Europe tbh. Maybe in countries like Poland, but I don't see big hitters like Germany or France going that way anytime soon.
Also a lot more people live in poverty in India compared to Europe, the issues in the average persons life is completely different so I don't think it's fair to compare the 2 voter bases.

King7Eric

Most people don't vote because of the environment, if they did the green parties would be in power.

What I'm trying to say is right wing politics is the trend at the moment, doesn't matter if you're in India or even the US where they elected Donald fecking Trump.
I agree with what you're saying regarding rise of right wing politics. But you are already seeing countries like UK declaring climate change a national emergency, awareness is rising and I firmly believe in 10 years green parties will be in power in most of western Europe.

King7Eric

Also a lot more people live in poverty in India compared to Europe, the issues in the average persons life is completely different so I don't think it's fair to compare the 2 voter bases.
The average person isn't aware of these issues too though. That's what I had meant in the earlier post you quoted. Whilst I agree about different priorities but things like climate change will affect everyone and there's no initiative by the country's leadership to create real awareness about it, despite India due to its population being one of the major producers of carbon emissions.

AshRK

People are not voting for Modi because he is a right wing politician, the reason they voted for Modi is because they cannot stand Rahul Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi. BJP/NDA is also winning in muslim dominating areas so nothing to do with Hindutva alone. Truth is people are smart in not buying Rahul Gandhi's propaganda. ALl he did this whole election was shout Chowkidar chor hai. He is an immature freak who had zero quality of being a PM and many people , poor/rich, hindu/muslim, young/old, all realized he is a clown.

coolredwine

lameredboots
People are not voting for Modi because he is a right wing politician, the reason they voted for Modi is because they cannot stand Rahul Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi. BJP/NDA is also winning in muslim dominating areas so nothing to do with Hindutva alone. Truth is people are smart in not buying Rahul Gandhi's propaganda. ALl he did this whole election was shout Chowkidar chor hai. He is an immature freak who had zero quality of being a PM and many people , poor/rich, hindu/muslim, young/old, all realized he is a clown.
Doesn't explain/excuse voting for a terror and a rape accused though. so there's that.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The average person isn't aware of these issues too though. That's what I had meant in the earlier post you quoted. Whilst I agree about different priorities but things like climate change will affect everyone and there's no initiative by the country's leadership to create real awareness about it, despite India due to its population being one of the major producers of carbon emissions.
What many liberals are missing is that people don't really care of climate change if they have trouble feeding their family and keeping them healthy. The mid-west lost a lot of jobs in mining etc and overall quality of life has become worse for them due to the go green.Rather than actively helping them find alternate solutions, just pushing green agenda will only alienate those population. Same parallels happen in India too.