India politics thread

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
How is protection of cows going against secularism?
Secularism, by definition means separating religion from state. So any laws based on religion would be against secularism, right?

I believe secularism in India is inverse to popular definition. In India, we have laws to protect various religious beliefs (to a equal extent, at least in theory), so some religious practices are protected by law leading to Hindu/Muslim personal laws.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
How is protection of cows going against secularism? Killing cows is against Hinduism, so a secular government will try to prevent the killing of cows. I mean even nutcases like Zakir Naik agree that there's nothing in Islam that forces them to kill cows. In Bakri Id, they have to kill a goat, not a cow. Are you saying Zakir Naik, who's facing terror charges, is more liberal than you? And the protection is just for cows not for buffaloes.
Conversion is a Christian tenet, so a secular government should protect the right of Christians to convert people? You insinuated that you are not a real Indian if you don't oppose cow slaughter. You also said that you think it's idiotic that we kill cows that give milk but buffaloes do too, yet here you are, arguing cow killing is not ok because it's a religious belief.

AshRK

Another thread that has turned into religious discussion. Don't people get bored :boring:

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
How is protection of cows going against secularism? Killing cows is against Hinduism, so a secular government will try to prevent the killing of cows. I mean even nutcases like Zakir Naik agree that there's nothing in Islam that forces them to kill cows. In Bakri Id, they have to kill a goat, not a cow. Are you saying Zakir Naik, who's facing terror charges, is more liberal than you? And the protection is just for cows not for buffaloes.
I absolutely detest politics and that's why I rarely post in these threads. The others are doing a decent job of pointing out the fallacies in your argument, I'm not going to stress myself into having a stroke by trying to answer such posts. As a parting remark, bakra literally translates to cow in Arabic, therefore the animal to be slaughtered at Bakra Eid would be...

RedTiger

Half mast
Conversion is a Christian tenet, so a secular government should protect the right of Christians to convert people? You insinuated that you are not a real Indian if you don't oppose cow slaughter. You also said that you think it's idiotic that we kill cows that give milk but buffaloes do too, yet here you are, arguing cow killing is not ok because it's a religious belief.
Just think of all the tasty mozzarella that India could export if they didn't export buffalo meat instead.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Conversion is a Christian tenet, so a secular government should protect the right of Christians to convert people? You insinuated that you are not a real Indian if you don't oppose cow slaughter.
Christians do have a right to convert people, except in Jharkhand and Arunachal Pradesh. Just like cows are protected everywhere except for Kerala/West Bengal. And can you quote me where I insinuated that you aren't Indian if you dont oppose cow slaughter.All I see is a point where I was trying to illustrate how different states make their own laws and you started attacking me. And if you're pointing to the post where I asked if you're indian, that was a genuine request for information, most Indians would know that Hindus are opposed to cow slaughter. Is that why you're sore? I mean there was a post in another thread where there was a guy talking about respecting each others beliefs and heres you showing how little you respect any other religions beliefs.:lol:
I absolutely detest politics and that's why I rarely post in these threads. The others are doing a decent job of pointing out the fallacies in your argument, I'm not going to stress myself into having a stroke by trying to answer such posts. As a parting remark, bakra literally translates to cow in Arabic, therefore the animal to be slaughtered at Bakra Eid would be...
No, you ignoramus. Bakri Eid is known as Eid Al Adha outside the Indian subcontinent. Its called bakri id in India-Pakistan because muslims kill goats(bakri in hindi/urdu) in that festival to emulate the sacrifice of Issac. I believe you aren't even a muslim, get educated about their beliefs before being offended on their behalf.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Read and weep - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_al-Adha

Affluent Muslims who can afford it sacrifice their best halal domestic animals (usually a cow, but can also be a camel, goat, sheep, or ram depending on the region) as a symbol of Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his only son
Not the point anyway, you're just another religious bigot who keeps generalising and ignoring valid points raised by others. You keep harping on about how all Hindus are opposed to cow slaughter, guess what? You don't speak for all of them. Anyway, I'm done with this.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
It is not. Vedic scriptures mention hindus feasting beef. A good portion of hindus not residing in north India even today consume beef and have done so for centuries! Why would they do so openly if it was against there own religion ?

Last edited:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Hasn't triple talaq already been abolished recently?
It has been, that's why its absurd. However, the whole concept of UCC is not to have specific laws catering to different communities. That's why triple talaq will be binned unless its scope is widened to include abandonment by hindus because since TT has been abolished to it amounts to abandonment only without any actual divorce taking place. But this will never happen because then modi could be prosecuted :lol:

What a shit state of affairs! Indian or Muslims notwithstanding, these people should not even be considered as humans. Hope the entire family rots in hell. The kid deserves a better future than this.
These are the kind of feudal people who would have still committed the offense even if she had complained against them under 498A instead of triple talaq. There are numerous such instances for that also.

RedTiger

Half mast
It has been, that's why its absurd. However, the whole concept of UCC is not to have specific laws catering to different communities. That's why triple talaq will be binned unless its scope is widened to include abandonment by hindus because since TT has been abolished to it amounts to abandonment only without any actual divorce taking place. But this will never happen because then modi could be prosecuted :lol:
That makes sense now. Its gonna be interesting to see:)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
That's why triple talaq will be binned unless its scope is widened to include abandonment by hindus because since TT has been abolished to it amounts to abandonment only without any actual divorce taking place.
Per both Hindu and Muslim laws in India, abandonment/desertion (for 2 years) is one of the grounds to seek divorce. Don't understand your point.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Per both Hindu and Muslim laws in India, abandonment/desertion (for 2 years) is one of the grounds to seek divorce. Don't understand your point.
Consider the following situation:

1. Muslim husband kicks the wife out of the home after saying triple talaq. After the supreme court judgment the utterance of triple talaq doesn't result in a divorce. So the wife remains married to him legally but is nevertheless kicked out of the home and abandoned.
1.1. The wife goes back to her fathers house.
1.2. She complains under the new triple talaq law and gets the husband jailed.
1.3. Whilst he is in jail she complains under S.498A against the husband and her in-laws wherein they can be thrown in jail.
1.4. She then proceeds to file a divorce case and coerces the husband to mutually divorce in exchange for a hefty settlement.

2. Hindu husband kicks the wife out of the home without saying anything. The wife remains married to him legally but is kicked out of the home and abandoned.
2.1. The wife goes back to her fathers house.
2.2. She complains under S.498A against the husband and her in-laws wherein they can be thrown in jail.
2.3. She then proceeds to file a divorce case and coerces the husband to mutually divorce in exchange for a hefty settlement.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
It's a stupid rule as it boils down to he says she says.

And you're assuming a Muslim wife will be more vengeful than a Hindu wife. Why?
I'm not suggesting that. What I'm saying is that she has additional weapons at her disposal. If hindu wives had it, they'd use it also.

As far as "why" is concerned! If your spouse fecks you over and throws you on the street you'd be bitter also.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Hmm
Speeches made by Savarkar, during this period, as collected by Italian researcher Marzia Casolari, show his deep admiration for Hitler and his Nazi philosophy. “The very fact that Germany or Italy has so wonderfully recovered and grown so powerful as never before at the touch of Nazi or Fascist magical wand is enough to prove that those political ‘isms’ were the most congenial tonics their health demanded,” Savarkar is believed to have said.

Further, Savarkar publicly criticised the Jews for failing to absorb into the German national fabric and compared them to Muslims in India as well. In 1939, at the 21st session of the Hindu Mahasabha, he is noted to have said that “the Indian Muslims are on the whole more inclined to identify themselves with Muslims outside India than Hindus next door, like Jews in Germany.”

In a speech delivered in 1940 (after the Second World War had commenced), Savarkar said: There is no reason to suppose that Hitler must be a human monster because he passes off as a Nazi or Churchill is a demigod because he calls himself a Democrat. Nazism proved undeniably the savior of Germany under the set of circumstances Germany was placed in.

Savarkar criticized Nehru for his staunch opposition to fascism.

Who are we to dictate to Germany… or Italy to choose a particular form of policy of government simply?” Savarkar rhetorically asked.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
These people are an embarrassment to the peace loving religion and country they profess to safeguard and supposedly love. Alternatively,, they're just racists using religion as a garb.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
These guys shouldn't even be taken seriously. Sprouting too much nonsense as always.
The problem is they won't be taken seriously even when their supporters start implementing these absurd ideas. What kind of a civilized country allows misguided factions of society to physically beat up people who don't hold similar views? These are the same idiots who go around beating up couples on valentine's day.

AshRK

The problem is they won't be taken seriously even when their supporters start implementing these absurd ideas. What kind of a civilized country allows misguided factions of society to physically beat up people who don't hold similar views? These are the same idiots who go around beating up couples on valentine's day.
It's been happening for ages sadly and will continue to happen.But you have to understand not all Hindus or Indians support these goons. There are in minority and will always be, the only change is in the last 5 years they are getting more coverage and there have been over exaggeration. Some news agency act as if living in India has become difficult which is total bs or every Hindu person share the same ideology where beating up people is the way to live, No it is not like that and will never be like that. Also, every country has such minorities who have strong beliefs and spread misguided beliefs, but that doesn't reflect the ideology of whole country. People of India has lot other things to worry that they don't even care what idiots like are saying.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
It's been happening for ages sadly and will continue to happen.But you have to understand not all Hindus or Indians support these goons. There are in minority and will always be, the only change is in the last 5 years they are getting more coverage and there have been over exaggeration. Some news agency act as if living in India has become difficult which is total bs or every Hindu person share the same ideology where beating up people is the way to live, No it is not like that and will never be like that. Also, every country has such minorities who have strong beliefs and spread misguided beliefs, but that doesn't reflect the ideology of whole country. People of India has lot other things to worry that they don't even care what idiots like are saying.
That's not the point though. The point is these people are voted into power and they use these positions of power to spread their political agenda. That's what needs to be rectified, and I don't see how that's going to happen anytime soon.

AshRK

That's not the point though. The point is these people are voted into power and they use these positions of power to spread their political agenda. That's what needs to be rectified, and I don't see how that's going to happen anytime soon.
Shiv sena have ruled in Maharashtra for ages and I don't know if there will be any change. But even under them ruling for ages it didn't make Hindu people of Maharashtra follow their ideology. News agency and people are just giving too much focus on them which is not needed. Every day there will be some stupid politician who will say some stupid shit, doesn't mean we have to highlight that and over exaggerate the issues. All countries have such issue, doesn't mean we have to keep on highlighting them.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Shiv sena have ruled in Maharashtra for ages and I don't know if there will be any change. But even under them ruling for ages it didn't make Hindu people of Maharashtra follow their ideology. News agency and people are just giving too much focus on them which is not needed. Every day there will be some stupid politician who will say some stupid shit, doesn't mean we have to highlight that and over exaggerate the issues. All countries have such issue, doesn't mean we have to keep on highlighting them.
Ignoring the atrocities committed by these people is as good as abetting them. They need to be called out, how else is there going to be a change? Ignoring their existence will keep them in power indefinitely. All countries have their own issues but I'm not concerned with them because I've no power to change anything elsewhere. Speaking out against injustice is the least we can do.

AshRK

Ignoring the atrocities committed by these people is as good as abetting them. They need to be called out, how else is there going to be a change? Ignoring their existence will keep them in power indefinitely. All countries have their own issues but I'm not concerned with them because I've no power to change anything elsewhere. Speaking out against injustice is the least we can do.
I am talking about the comments not the actions. You are acting as if everyday 1000s of people are being killed at the command of shiv sena. Like I said they have been here for ages so why so much attention to them suddenly. They have always made idiotic statements for years. You can keep on complaining about idiotic they are (which we all agree) but unfortunately that won't change much. Extremist are everywhere but truth is in India they will always be in minority. If people want to think otherwise that is their call.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
I am talking about the comments not the actions. You are acting as if everyday 1000s of people are being killed at the command of shiv sena. Like I said they have been here for ages so why so much attention to them suddenly. They have always made idiotic statements for years. You can keep on complaining about idiotic they are (which we all agree) but unfortunately that won't change much. Extremist are everywhere but truth is in India they will always be in minority. If people want to think otherwise that is their call.
And I'm talking about the actions taken by members of these parties as a result of these comments made by their leaders. Thousands of people don't need to die on a daily basis for us to act against political parties using their powers unfairly, injustice against a few is grounds enough to force the population into thinking about a change. My views aren't limited to Shiv Sena, they are just as valid when talking about any of the other parties causing harship to the common man. This minority of extremists, as you put it, doesn't deserve any power whatsoever. And downplaying their actions/comments is not the way to get rid of them. Call them out every time they are culpable, show the general populace who they really are, and hope that we see positive changes in the coming years.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
Economy is hurtling down a shithole :drool:
That’s really a minor issue.

It’s bigger issues like this that we all should rally behind. We’re going to accomplish where major superpowers failed. *Shouts Jai Hind*

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Economy is hurtling down a shithole :drool:
Indian economy growing at fast rate with strong macroeconomic fundamentals, says Amit Shah

Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Thursday said that the economy was currently growing at the fastest rate compared to other countries as the country’s macroeconomic fundamentals were quite strong, PTI reported. The home minister’s assessment came amid fears of an economic slowdown.

“In 2014, when the Narendra Modi government was formed, our economy was in a shambles,” Shah claimed during a convocation ceremony at Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University in Gujarat’s Gandhinagar city. “But today, in 2019, I can say that our macroeconomic fundamentals are quite strong. Even today, India is the fastest-growing economy of the world with around 7% growth.”

He said that India’s aim to become a $5-trillion economy in the next five years cannot be achieved without contribution from the energy and petroleum sector. Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, while presenting the annual Budget in July, had said that India will become a $3-trillion economy in the current financial year. With some structural reforms, India would become a $5-trillion economy in the next few years, she had said.

https://scroll.in/latest/935636/ind...ong-macroeconomic-fundamentals-says-amit-shah