India politics thread

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't think Pakistanis are ashamed for the past 70+years to be called as Islamic nation. UK too doesn't feel ashamed to be calling themselves as a Christian nation. Peculiarly some holier than though Indians feel ashamed in calling India a Hindu nation.
India has never been a 'Hindu Nation'. Funny that you're holding Pakistan as the model to follow in this regard. Says it all.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Not sure why the CAB was required. The NE people don't want refugees in their state(of any religion) as they feel their culture and language will be finished, that's why they're protesting. The situation in Guwahati is extremely tense.

amolbhatia50k

Not sure why the CAB was required. The NE people don't want refugees in their state(of any religion) as they feel their culture and language will be finished, that's why they're protesting. The situation in Guwahati is extremely tense.
Well, CAB isn't aimed at just the NE is it? It came in as a means to include illegal Hindu immigrants in the NE but aims to include them and exclude similarly positioned Muslims across the board (or NE?). The BJP isn't letting go of such a potentially big vote bank that they can further grow over the years by dangling citizenship selectively.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
modi/shah campaigned on nationwide NRC. fear of bangladeshi migrants is there in most parts of the country outside the NE too (for sure in maharashtra). the risk of doing nrc, as assam shows, is that many hindus get caught in it (either because they're actually migrants or because they don't have papers). if this happened nationwide, the nrc would not give the result modi/shah want. CAB is the way to protect all hindus who get caught in the nrc trap.

KM

modi/shah campaigned on nationwide NRC. fear of bangladeshi migrants is there in most parts of the country outside the NE too (for sure in maharashtra). the risk of doing nrc, as assam shows, is that many hindus get caught in it (either because they're actually migrants or because they don't have papers). if this happened nationwide, the nrc would not give the result modi/shah want. CAB is the way to protect all hindus who get caught in the nrc trap.
The cost in Assam NRC was about 1200 Crores. They've a population of only 3crores. I don't even want to imagine what the nationwide cost of NRC will be. Also then there's a fact that no country will accept the "detainees" and even more cost will be incurred to keep those people. It's stupid and pointless.

I understand they'll link CAB and NRC btw, but Western Media was linking the protests in Assam for the non exclusion of Muslims where the reality is something different.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
, but Western Media was linking the protests in Assam for the non exclusion of Muslims where the reality is something different.
people are desparate to see anti-modi sentiment, the moment they see it they map it onto whatever pre-conceived notions they have.

KM

people are desparate to see anti-modi sentiment, the moment they see it they map it onto whatever pre-conceived notions they have.
Yeah it's pretty weird to see Liberals supporting the Assam protest. The protest in Assam is everything opposite for what Liberals stand for.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
At least the 'moderates' have no where to hide anymore. Modi/Shah are going to fulfil all the promises from their manifesto which so many people claimed would never happen. They have almost given up on fixing the economy. UCC would surely be brought up before the next election as well.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
At least the 'moderates' have no where to hide anymore. Modi/Shah are going to fulfil all the promises from their manifesto which so many people claimed would never happen. They have almost given up on fixing the economy. UCC would surely be brought up before the next election as well.
According to whatsapp, the remainder is UCC, annexing PoK, and a population control bill.

KM

According to whatsapp, the remainder is UCC, annexing PoK, and a population control bill.
I've no particular problem with UCC and Population control bill. Annexing POK won't happen ofcourse without ridiculous repercussions.

amolbhatia50k

There's plenty of reasons for an anti-Modi sentiment given the archaic, immoral and rather pathetic ideology of him and his party/RSS. If there's a desparation to criticise such religious extremist goons then it's only a good thing. What isn't a good thing, is that they've got the country by the balls. I do agree that the NE protest is for giving exemptions to anybody at all who is illegally residing and not relating to the discrimination against Muslims. But morons getting some grief is hardly worth sympathy.

amolbhatia50k

Moderates is an amusing term. I mean, they tend to treat the word 'seculae' as though it's genuinely negative. Which says more about them than even the manner in which that word has often been misused.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Is there a way to give up your citizenship as a sign of protest? Not that it'll make a difference but it's pretty much all I can do.

AshRK

I can see why some Indians finding this bill useless but why are people from Pakistan and Bangladesh getting so affected. Do they want India to consult with them in everything they do before passing a bill?

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Go to another country and take their citizenship. Who is stopping you?
My financial assets. Probably going to liquidate everything and give up my Indian passport in the coming years, as I've pretty much spent most of my life out of India, and at this point I don't see myself ever going back there.

redsunited

Eat some beef and chill
Not sure what you are trying to say. Is it like saying to a Muslim to eat Pork?

I am chill watching people throwing their toys out of pram for the govt easing up citizenship regulation for illegal migrants who are persecuted minorities from nearby countries of prepartition india and weeding out economic migrants who even after getting separate fantasy country for their religion, illegally came to India.

Last edited:

redsunited

Annexing PoK wont happen unless there is a war. Nuclear powers know the consequences and both countries won't go for it.
Population control bill is a low hanging fruit. UCC is still further away.

Last edited:

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Not sure what you are trying to say. Is it like saying to a Muslim to eat Pork?

I am chill watching people throwing their toys out of pram for the govt easing up citizenship regulation for illegal migrants who are persecuted minorities from nearby countries of prepartition india and weeding out economic migrants who even after getting separate fantasy country for their religion, illegally came to India.
Except that that's not what's happening, or else the bill would have said persecuted minorities instead of specifying certain religions. This is a clear case of dog whistling as the BJP tries to groom these unregistered voters into a potential vote bank.

Member 60376

Yeah it's pretty weird to see Liberals supporting the Assam protest. The protest in Assam is everything opposite for what Liberals stand for.
Massive protests in Bengal today. Trains blocked, stations burnt, passengers and drivers pelted with stones. The Bengal protests are mainly by the Muslims because they fear exclusion in NRC. The state government has vowed to carry on agitations. It's going to end badly... It's barely been a day and tensions are running high.

The NE protests on the other hand are by the locals fearing immigrants from Bangladesh irrespective of religion will take over their land.

Our border with Bangladesh is very porous and trafficking is a huge business in parts of Bengal. In the recent years there's been s significant demographic change in the bordering districts. Remains to be seen how much backlash this bill causes. In the end its votebank politics. The BJP wants Hindu voters and the TMC wants Muslim voters.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Except that that's not what's happening, or else the bill would have said persecuted minorities instead of specifying certain religions. This is a clear case of dog whistling as the BJP tries to groom these unregistered voters into a potential vote bank.
It's a recycle. When Indian voters turn away, they need these immigrants to fill the void.

redsunited

Every religion except Muslims which is majority religion is mentioned in the bill. Majority religion cannot be called as persecuted.

Pakistan and Bangladesh had wiped off their religious minority after creating their Muslim majority country. India is trying to give citizenship to those who fleed from those countries. Whatever be the reason like votebank or not, the bill is a honourable move.
One mistake is not excluding the whole of North East from the bill. For a century they have issue of overpopulated bengalis settling in their lands and changing the demography. Other bigger states don't have any issue in accommodating the persecuted people.

Member 60376

It's taken as an anti-government protest. Agenda is different, end goal is the same.
Things aren't that black and white. It's all context dependent. I'm not backing the bill but I don't agree with you that all these protests are simply anti government. It's a simplistic narrative for a complex problem

The NRC was widely welcomed in Assam by the Assamese. 19 lakh Bangladeshi immigrants were left out of that list with 60% or so of them Hindu. The CAB aims to correct that in a roundabout way. Which is now causing the protests.

Bengal is a different case as I mentioned above. It's the Muslim immigrants - Bangladeshis and Rohingyas - who are protesting. And of course the state government has said it won't allow NRC or CAB in west bengal.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Every religion except Muslims which is majority religion is mentioned in the bill. Majority religion cannot be called as persecuted.

Pakistan and Bangladesh had wiped off their religious minority after creating their Muslim majority country. India is trying to give citizenship to those who fleed from those countries. Whatever be the reason like votebank or not, the bill is a honourable move.
But that's not entirely true. Even within the Muslim population, the Ahmadis and Shi'as are still widely persecuted in these countries. As are atheists. It's a clear cut case of the government using communal politics to further their agenda, and sadly, it's working.

Moving on to integrating all these immigrants into the country, sure, I agree we shouldn't turn away those that genuinely need help, but I absolutely don't agree with helping people on the basis of religion.