India politics thread

AshRK

I have to applaud Kejriwal and even Rahul and co. for not falling into BJP's trap and making some absurd comments regarding the protest. I bet BJP and their media loving gang would love to see one of the biggies from AAP or even congress to make that move so that they can lash on them. Kejriwal of 2015-16 would have made that mistake but Kejriwal of now has learned the trick. BJP's patience is running out and hence we could see idiotic comments from Anurag thakur. As long as AAP wins the coming election I am fine, just don't make any silly mistakes please.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
What are the odds that bjp sent the guy to stir up a violent reaction which would then be used as a justification to send in the police to create a bigger tamasha and change the narrative of the delhi election ?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

Good evening Captain,

This email is to address the events that occurred on 6E5317, BOM-LKO on 28.01.2020. After pushback I was informed by the LCA that 2 gentlemen were involved in a verbal altercation and that it had been noticed prior to commencement of the flight. One was seated on 13A (Mr. Kunal Kamra) and the other on 1B (Mr. Arnab Goswami). I was informed that Mr. Kamra had tried to engage with Mr. Goswami, who did not respond.

Mr. Kamra was asked by the LCA to return to his seat as the safety demonstrations were underway and the seat belt signs were on. Upon receiving this instruction, Mr. Kamra apologised to the LCA and returned to his seat. After passing 10,000 ft, the cabin crew commenced their preparations for service, but the seat belt signs remained on the entire flight. After the start of cabin service, the flight deck was contacted by the LCA to inform us that Mr. Kamra was back in the passenger aisle by Row 1 speaking in a raised voice to Mr. Goswami. She mentioned that she was informed by a passenger that Mr. Kamra had briefly used abusive language.

Upon hearing this I turned the surveillance on from the cockpit to observe the events at Row 1. I noticed Mr. Kamra gesticulating to Mr. Goswami who was unresponsive. I did not observe any physical contact between the two gentlemen at any point. At this time I made a Passenger Address to the cabin asking the gentleman standing in the passenger aisle near Row 1 to return to his seat, and that any disagreements they may have could be sorted out on the ground after the conclusion of the flight.

Mr. Kamra upon hearing this immediately apologised again to the LCA, relayed an apology to me via the LCA and subsequently returned to his seat. A few minutes after this, I turned on the surveillance again to check the status of the forward cabin area. I noticed a number of passengers crowding around the forward area waiting to use the lavatory and - in my opinion - to get a better look at Mr. Goswami. I noticed a passenger try to talk to Mr. Goswami. Not wanting to exacerbate this developing pattern, I made another Passenger Address reminding passengers that the seatbelt signs were still on and that we were expecting turbulence. I asked them to return to their seats, fasten their seatbelts and request the cabin crew for assistance if they needed to use the lavatories.

Upon making the announcement, the passengers vacated the forward galley, returned to their seats and a return to normalcy was observed. I then asked the LCA to speak with Mr. Goswami and inform him that the Flight Deck send their regards, and that if he wished to lodge a complaint, we would be happy to assist him after landing in Lucknow. He was also offered extra F&B. He thanked the LCA and acknowledged the offer. After the flight when most passengers had deplaned, Mr. Kamra requested permission to enter the flight deck to speak with me to personally apologise again. He did so. I asked him if his issue was political in nature, which he confirmed. I advised him that while we are all entitled to our opinions, there was a time and place to voice them, and that mid-flight was no place for it. He agreed, thanked us and left the aircraft.

The flight deck crew briefly encountered Mr. Kamra again outside the LKO terminal where we were waiting for Hotel Transport. He apologised again and left. While Mr. Kamra’s behaviour was unacceptable and verbally abusive, at no point did he not comply with Crew instructions.

While he did briefly display Level 1 traits for Disruptive behaviour (ICAO Doc 9811), he was also immediately compliant of crew instruction, was never issued a red warning card and hence cannot be classified as such.

Furthermore, in-line with the IndiGo SEP Manual guidelines for Disruptive Behaviour, the situation was diffused, the passenger in question kept under observation and the cabin kept in lockdown for the duration of the flight. Hence, no further action on the part of the Cockpit Crew was required. The LCA advised me she would be filing a report on her end in-line with Cabin Crew guidelines.

As Captain of 6E5317 BOM-LKO on 28.01.2020, I do not find the aforementioned events reportable in any way. Mr. Kamra’s behaviour while unsavoury, was NOT qualifying of a Level 1 Unruly passenger.

Indeed we pilots can all attest to incidents similar and/or worse in nature that were not deemed Unruly.

Furthermore, I was disheartened to learn that my Airline has taken action in this case solely on the basis of Social Media posts, with no consultation whatsoever with the Pilot-in-Command. This is somewhat unprecedented in my 9 years of Airline flying. Moving forward, am I to understand that the bar for interpretation of a Disruptive passenger is lower/different when it comes to high profile cases? Perhaps the SEP Manual is to be amended to reflect this? I would like a clarification from the Airline as this leaves a lot of room for ambiguity.

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Capt. Rohit Mateti

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
"The CAA-NPR-NRC protests have not eroded a single vote from our support base. Neither do these protests add an extra vote to opposition ranks. So we are not politically hassled... The real issue of concern is that of the economy."
100% correct. Amit Shah is an excellent manager of elections and knows what he is doing. The only way Modi loses 2024 is there is no revoery till then, AND people blame him personally rather than state govts/his party/anything else for the economy, because his image in untouched.

coolredwine

lameredboots
"The CAA-NPR-NRC protests have not eroded a single vote from our support base. Neither do these protests add an extra vote to opposition ranks. So we are not politically hassled...
So a repeat of 67-3 then? :smirk:

coolredwine

lameredboots
100% correct. Amit Shah is an excellent manager of elections and knows what he is doing. The only way Modi loses 2024 is there is no revoery till then, AND people blame him personally rather than state govts/his party/anything else for the economy, because his image in untouched.
Which will never happen. Modi-Shah have enough fall guys in front before people even come close to them.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777

BJP officially taking responsibility for the attack but quickly doing Savarkar. It's now deleted.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Hindu Mahasabha to honour Jamia shooter, calls him 'a true nationalist, like Godse'

New Delhi: The Hindu Mahasabha on Friday announced that the organisation would felicitate the accused in Jamia firing case. The outfit further called the shooter "a true nationalist like Nathuram Godse".

Hindu Mahasabha spokesperson Ashok Pandey said the organisation is "proud of the boy, who attempted to silence the anti-national activities on Jamia campus by giving the students there 'instant azadi'."

Shockingly, Pandey justified brandishing a gun to "punish anti-national activities" and said that even the law makes a distinction between cold-blooded murder and someone eliminated in the best interest of the country.

Pandey added that all the "anti-nationals like Sharjeel Imam and the ones on the Aligarh Muslim University campus, Jawaharlal Nehru University and Shaheen Bagh deserve to be shot".

He further announced that the Hindu Mahasabha will bear legal aid to the accused.

Tension flared near Delhi's Jamia Millia Islamia University on Thursday when the man brandished a gun and opened fire at a group of anti-CAA protesters, injuring a student.

He was later seen as waving the firearm above his head and shouting 'Yeh lo azadi' despite the presence of police personnel.

https://www.timesnownews.com/india/article/hindu-mahasabha-to-honour-jamia-shooter/547489

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Nearly 18,000 Twitter accounts spread ‘fake news’ for BJP, 147 do it for Congress: Study

New Delhi: For each pro-Congress account spreading propaganda and fake news on Twitter, there are 120 doing the same for the BJP, a study has claimed.

The study has been conducted by a user of the social media portal Reddit who goes by the username ‘/u/onosmosis’. The user claims to have analysed lakhs of unverified Twitter accounts to identify trends in online misinformation.

Conducted with the help of an algorithm, the study started by identifying around 4 lakh Twitter accounts with a clear political leaning. Around 1.2 lakh of these accounts were identified as pro-Congress and 2.7 lakh as pro-BJP, according to the research, published on the user’s webpage UrbanNazi.com.

The study also identified the number of accounts that served as sources of misinformation and propaganda — while 17,779 pro-BJP accounts were identified thus, the number for the Congress stood at 147.

How the study was conducted

/u/onosmosis chose to stay anonymous for this report fearing troll attacks, but told ThePrint that he works as a software analyst at a tech start-up developing a platform for content management and sharing.

The study they conducted focused on identifying unverified politically-oriented Twitter accounts, because, according to /u/onosmosis, “unverified accounts publish tweets with hate, abuse and false information in larger volume than verified accounts”.

To do so, /u/onosmosis said they devised an algorithm to sift through lakhs of Twitter accounts in a bid to shortlist those that checked certain boxes.

For an account to be identified as pro-BJP, their Twitter bio had to feature something like “Followed by Narendra Modi” or “India supports CAA”. Other criteria included being followed by one or more verified accounts of a BJP office-bearer or minister, or at least 2 per cent of its total retweets coming from the verified accounts of a BJP party or leader.

The accounts were identified as pro-Congress if the Twitter bio mentioned “INC Supporter” or “I support Priyanka Gandhi”, or if at least 2 per cent of its total retweets came from verified accounts of the party or any of its leaders.

/u/onosmosis also put in four hours each day “to analyse stuff or modify my [computer] algorithm to capture tweets better and faster”.

The computer, which ran 24 hours a day, eventually shortlisted over 3.9 lakh unverified Twitter accounts with a clear leaning towards the BJP or the Congress.

The research started 19 September 2019. While /u/onosmosis published these findings on 25 January, the analysis of tweets is still underway, the user said.

Through hashtags

According to the study, social media’s hashtag feature, which first took root with Twitter, is a common way to spread misinformation and propaganda.

For example, on the night of 5 January, as a masked mob bore down on students and teachers on the JNU campus in Delhi, a pro-BJP account called “@pandeymanishmzp” started using the hashtag #LeftAttacksJNU around 10.30 pm. The hashtag was then used over 2.3 lakh times in under 30 minutes, according to /u/onosmosis.

Within an hour-and-a-half of @pandeymanishmzp’s tweet, BJP IT head Amit Malviya used the same hashtag, tweeting, “…Left backed student’s union are targeting members of ABVP…”. He appeared to back these claims with an accompanying video that shows a man identified as ABVP secretary Manish Jangid purportedly making the same allegations.

The post was retweeted over 3,000 times with the video notching nearly 40,000 views.

The allegations are crucial because the exact perpetrators of that night’s attack remain unidentified. In the immediate aftermath of the assault, the Left and the Right had blamed the violence on each other, creating a web of chaos around the unprecedented episode that triggered protests across the nation.

/u/onosmosis also shared a purported instance of a pro-Congress account starting misinformation — Twitter user @Me_nehru, which is followed by the likes of Srivatsa YB, the Congress in-charge for Youth Congress national campaigns, and party spokesperson Udit Raj, a former MP.

@Me_nehru suggested in a tweet Wednesday that “shahin bagh protesters [were] arrested by police and kept in private school instead of police station?”. The tweet was posted with a video of an unidentified man making the same claim. It has been retweeted 119 times, while the video has been viewed 1,200 times.

Asked about the research, Pratik Sinha and Karen Rebelo, who are associated with the fact-checking portals AltNews and BOOM Live, respectively, said it was possible that each party had so many accounts affiliated to them.

They said they personally didn’t have data to back this claim, but acknowledged coming across misinformation perpetrated by Twitter accounts that support a political party.

The research falls in line with a 2018 BBC study on fake news in India, according to which “many more of the Twitter handles that have published fake news sit in the pro-BJP cluster, than in the anti-BJP cluster”.

‘Don’t support misinformation’

Approached for comment, both the BJP and the Congress denied the allegation that they supported accounts propagating misinformation.

Khemchand Sharma, a member of the BJP’s national IT and social media campaign committee, said the party’s online strategy relied on volunteers. He added that it “is not possible to give an exact number for the number of volunteers with Twitter accounts”, but said the party had at least one lakh social media volunteers.

“Working on misinformation is not the BJP’s motto,” he added. “We focus on a positive campaign and there is little the organisation can do about what volunteers do in their personal capacity.”

Congress social media head Rohan Gupta also acknowledged that the party depended on volunteer social media users but said it was not possible to estimate how many such accounts supported the party.

“We do not work on fake news,” he added. “Everyone knows the official trollers [sic] are official BJP office-bearers like [Sambit] Patra and [Amit] Malviya.”

https://theprint.in/politics/nearly...-for-bjp-147-do-it-for-congress-study/356876/

redsunited

@redsunited will be here shortly telling us how both the shooter and the police did the right thing.
The shooter should have been shot dead by the police for carrying the gun, regardless of him being underage or not.

Seems another guy with gun was there today as well. Police should take strong action against these violence, to deter more incidences.

Last edited:

redsunited

Because it was a post worthy of a derisory laughter
Derisory? More like kids in playground.

People like you who cannot look past your idea, can only laugh, pass sly comment etc. There is no difference than you and those right wing dumb guys. If you have a different view, say what should be done. Obviously you cannot.

Last edited:

redsunited

Yes, This is the truth. Not many believed Vajpayee to loose in 2004, yet the India shining slogan came back to bite them.

Instead of targeting economy, Congress is playing in to the hands of bjp with these protests which will only improve Bjp votes by turning more and more Hindus to support them. Bjp and Owaisi's party will grow in next election, Neither Congress, nor the left parties.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Yes, This is the truth. Not many believed Vajpayee to loose in 2004, yet the India shining slogan came back to bite them.

Instead of targeting economy, Congress is playing in to the hands of bjp with these protests which will only improve Bjp votes by turning more and more Hindus to support them. Bjp and Owaisi's party will grow in next election, Neither Congress, nor the left parties.
:lol: :lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

there is nothign congress can do, if they openly oppose the protestors, muslims will be right to bury the party forever. modi and shah continue to control enough tv and whatapp stuff that they control the message, and no matter how big or small the congress role is, their entire campaign will always be about the muslim congress v the hindu bjp. in 2019 rahul alked about a corruption case but the SC refused to investigate before the election and then ofcourse gave a clean chit, and he talked about demonitisation which has failed in every aspect but people liked it, and he talked about gst which has meant no money for states but people accept it, etc. simply people trust modi and there is nothing the opposition can do.

RedDevil@84

The shooter should have been shot dead by the police for carrying the gun, regardless of him being underage or not.

Seems another guy with gun was there today as well. Police should take strong action against these violence, to deter more incidences.
Seriously? Delhi Police??

Didn't you see them running away and falling on feet of lawyers who beat up the policemen?

RedDevil@84

Saw on reddit that some guy asked for a police certificate to conduct a peaceful protest where people will be shouting "Desh ke gaddaron ko goli maaro" and police gave him and instant approval to go ahead.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Wtf are you even saying! The only reason some people who voted for BJP and have turned against them is because they think that the protests are not politically funded. The second any political party - Congress, AAP, TMC or any other party - joins the protests, BJP and the journalists will paint these protests to be politically funded with the motive being to cause disturbance to the people, and due to Delhi elections.

I dont support Congress, but they've done the right thing here.

coolredwine

lameredboots
I think all in this thread are grown ass men who talks about politics of the country. Why indulge in smileys for reply, other than actively giving your view, either right or not.
Imagine posting the stuff below and then parading as a grown ass man in this thread :lol:

Well, at least you are consistent, so yay!

Nice. This is exactly how the police should do when violence is done by rioters who destroy public property.

The biased article cherry picks a few of children (and peppers religious connotations) who may or may not be innocent, who got affected in the midst of police crackdown for sympathy.

Burning trains, buses etc and expect sympathy because police used heavy hand approach. Do this in any Islamic country or Western country or china, you will know how you will be dealt with. In India, you can always hide behind religion, minor etc and there will be journalists who cherry pick incidents to sensationalize news.

Now all leftists in the thread who believe whatever propoganda they read, will push up Internet traffic with their replies ;)

redsunited

Imagine posting the stuff below and then parading as a grown ass man in this thread :lol:

Well, at least you are consistent, so yay!
Police shouldn’t allow violence by either opposition party or ruling party vote banks. Police inaction will only strengthen the antisocial behaviour to grow.

In the first, I supported the police action, and in the second, I said police should have done the same.

In my posts, I give my view on the topic. Unlike you and fishfingers whose posts has nothing on the topic, plain trolling.

redsunited

Wtf are you even saying! The only reason some people who voted for BJP and have turned against them is because they think that the protests are not politically funded. The second any political party - Congress, AAP, TMC or any other party - joins the protests, BJP and the journalists will paint these protests to be politically funded with the motive being to cause disturbance to the people, and due to Delhi elections.

I dont support Congress, but they've done the right thing here.
That is your assumption, which is as good as mine.

My post you had replied is not about Delhi election. BJP as a party thrives in polarisation as it takes away the focus from economy.

In Delhi elections, Regardless of Shaheen bagh, AAP will sweep again if there is no anti incumbency as AAP won 67/70 last time. State election is different than centre.