g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

India politics thread

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
That is your assumption, which is as good as mine.

My post you had replied is not about Delhi election. BJP as a party thrives in polarisation as it takes away the focus from economy.

In Delhi elections, Regardless of Shaheen bagh, AAP will sweep again if there is no anti incumbency as AAP won 67/70 last time. State election is different than centre.
The 2019 general election campaign by Congress was not on religious issues. What you are missing is that (like great politicians) Modi/Shah create the reality in which to fight elections, and it works most of the time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
In the first, I supported the police action, and in the second, I said police should have done the same.
So you support the police entering colleges and thrashing students, harming women protestors on the streets using laathis for no apparent reason, standing like guards at Jamia when violence was taking place inside, destroying public property on their own accord (caught on CCTV) etc ? Even with the initial protests the cops had an appalling response. There may have been some incidents of violence here and there from the protesters which cannot be supported. But the police response was even worse especially given they're the fecking police (although here in Delhi it seems to hold no value).

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Don't blame shanahan really. Garropolo is a liability.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I can't believe she is older than Katie Hopkins. By like 5 years.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Guys, can you explain to me what an IPS officer is, what their job entails and how they get the position.

Thanks
Indian Police Service. You pass the Civil Service exam - UPSC, which is written+interview. Then you choose 1 of 3/4 branches -IAS (bureacracy), IFS (foreign), IPS, maybe IFS (forest). I *think* IFS/IPS are the least desirable but I could be wrong.
Then after training for some years you're posted to a state which puts you in charge of a police district. After that you can get more promotions, to higher positions within state police or within IB/CBI, etc.

You can also get some of these positions by getting promoted from within the state bureacracy (via State PSC exams), and maybe getting promoted from a regular cop position (like constable and inspector), I'm not sure.

RedTiger

Half mast
Indian Police Service. You pass the Civil Service exam - UPSC, which is written+interview. Then you choose 1 of 3/4 branches -IAS (bureacracy), IFS (foreign), IPS, maybe IFS (forest). I *think* IFS/IPS are the least desirable but I could be wrong.
Then after training for some years you're posted to a state which puts you in charge of a police district. After that you can get more promotions, to higher positions within state police or within IB/CBI, etc.

You can also get some of these positions by getting promoted from within the state bureacracy (via State PSC exams), and maybe getting promoted from a regular cop position (like constable and inspector), I'm not sure.
Thanks berba, you really explained it well for me mate

amolbhatia50k

Also includes IRS (revenue /tax) wherein you become a tax officer. I believe the branch depends on your rank in the UPSC papers.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Those 4 are the most preferred ones, although there are a lot more I think, including IRS

MDFC Manager

How desperate are the Jalao party these days! Calling Kejriwal a terrorist.

What does that make the likes of Shah :lol:

milemuncher777

formerly kid777

Even Pakistanis themselves wouldn't be giving this much importance and love to their country.

Kya log he.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Modi is selling off 50-year old profitable state-owned companies, has cut the rate of corporate tax by 8 points (>25% reduction), and has now cut income tax in a time of slow growth and low tax take. There is hardly any increased spending in health and education.
I have no idea why Sadanand Dhume, libertarian of the WSJ, is complaining. I guess he doesn't like Modi's social policies so is distancing himself from the economic stuff?

amolbhatia50k

Modi is selling off 50-year old profitable state-owned companies, has cut the rate of corporate tax by 8 points (>25% reduction), and has now cut income tax in a time of slow growth and low tax take. There is hardly any increased spending in health and education.
I have no idea why Sadanand Dhume, libertarian of the WSJ, is complaining. I guess he doesn't like Modi's social policies so is distancing himself from the economic stuff?
I mean, there's nothing in the budget to write home about. Even the income tax 'cuts' aren't really cuts, per say. Effectively they will impact only a small section of the taxpayer base and that too, marginally considering you have to give up all your deductions and exemptions. I'm definitely not going to be going for it given I claim HRA, 80C (life insurance, PF) and 80D (medical insurance). DDT removal is nice for companies but it'll be taxed in the hands of the individual of course.

Interval

Level
They've not really cut income taxes at an individual level. It's an eye wash.
There's hardly any increased spending in any sector. Because the expenditure budget is broadly flat year on year due to fiscal constraints.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Are you suffering from Stockholm syndrome?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I mean, there's nothing in the budget to write home about. Even the income tax 'cuts' aren't really cuts, per say. Effectively they will impact only a small section of the taxpayer base and that too, marginally considering you have to give up all your deductions and exemptions. I'm definitely not going to be going for it given I claim HRA, 80C (life insurance, PF) and 80D (medical insurance). DDT removal is nice for companies but it'll be taxed in the hands of the individual of course.
thanks, i didnt know the IT cuts were effectively so little.

Are you suffering from Stockholm syndrome?
i dont support those moves but i know dhume was asking for corporate tax cuts and privatisation for years.
if i had to guess why the criticism: he doesnt want to acknowledge that his preferred economic policies havent raised spirits yet. and/or it is now the "correct opinion" internationally that modi has a big bad side - this wasn't the case earlier.. so he's always criticising.